We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Games where evil playthroughs don't suck

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Giving you a friendly for tag trolling. We don't see enough of that around here.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I heard MotB and KOTOR2 had good evil playthroughs. I never played them as an evil character, though.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has a pretty good evil ending that's arguably better than the good one. Not a lot of choices before the few ending ones though.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I've seen many a post throughout the ages claiming that Jade Empire has the most evil ending ever. Tried playing it a few times but it never stuck.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: February 21st, 2024, 06:24
KOTOR2 had good evil playthroughs.
While it's definitely better than the first game it does still occasionally run into the "Be Jesus saving kittens or the devil kicking kittens" issue. A lot of the moral encounters are definitely set up in a way so you have to be either typical Jedi or typical Sith so that Kreia can give a meta commentary.
Still one of my top 3 favorite games of all time though. :twisted:
Last edited by Vergil on February 21st, 2024, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

No game where you can choose to do good or do bad will be satisfying to play as evil.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 21st, 2024, 07:02
No game where you can choose to do good or do bad will be satisfying to play as evil.
Agreed. I have never found a game where going evil was "optimal" or even comparable as playing good or neutral. You're always losing out significantly.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Somebody has clearly never had a dark side Bastila gf
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Any game after 2017 basically, because as the bad guy you just get to kill all the SJWs. In WOTR, if you play Swarm, all you do is kill all the trash in the world. Pretty much same with Lich.
Last edited by The_Mask on February 21st, 2024, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: February 21st, 2024, 07:07
Agreed. I have never found a game where going evil was "optimal" or even comparable as playing good or neutral. You're always losing out significantly.
This was always a big problem for me and why I wish games would let you delve into your character's reasonings a bit more. Often times I end up doing "good" guy routes but only because it's the pragmatic thing to do for maximum reward. If a setting (like Star Wars) is going to present going evil as some seductive easy path to money/power/prestige at the cost of your soul/whatever then evil options should be the optimum path from a pragmatic materialistic viewpoint.
KOTOR II at least touches on this sometimes like letting you be nice and good to your companions so you can manipulate their feelings to push them to the dark side.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Without giving any real spoilers and thus no real information:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic it's all too obvious which ending Arkane wants you to take and it's quite satisfying.

The dark path in Lands of Lore 2 is arguably more fun than the normal playthrough and Dawn dresses like a slut to try and seduce you later.

The evil path in Geneforge and its ending feel great.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

The evil path in Geneforge 2 is arguably the good ending.
Rand

Post by Rand »

The game Tyranny, maybe?
Rand

Post by Rand »

Watser wrote: February 21st, 2024, 08:37
The evil path in Geneforge 2 is arguably the good ending.
I ALWAYS side with the shapers.
It's made clear that shaping is inherently very dangerous and can lead to evil rapidly. (As it did in the universe of the games.)
And it's too easy for small groups of individuals to amass immense power that they can't control.
The only thing keeping the genie in the bottle was the ruthlessness of the shaper council in eliminating problems.
But they didn't ever go far enough.
Barring Sucia island was a mistake. ALL facilities, including the geneforge itself, should have been destroyed, and also the island should have been scoured of all life.
Last edited by Rand on February 21st, 2024, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Haven't got around to playing it yet but going by Swen's old blogs, didn't they design Divinity Dragon Commander to be more "morally grey"? Where even stuff like rape has "pros and cons", rather than outright lecturing.
I'll be disappointed if they didn't actually follow through on that philosophy. (Not just the rape, I'm not Red7).
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

PF:WoTR.

You get to put a lot of awful NPC's/companions in their place as an lich.
Marcellus

Post by Marcellus »

Vergil wrote: February 21st, 2024, 06:25
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has a pretty good evil ending that's arguably better than the good one. Not a lot of choices before the few ending ones though.
Games with morally ambiguous endings, such as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, give richness to player options. While alternatives are limited, taking both the good and bad ways enriches the story.
Last edited by Marcellus on March 14th, 2024, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Marcellus wrote: February 21st, 2024, 13:45
Games with morally ambiguous endings, such as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, give richness to player options. While alternatives are limited, taking both the good and bad ways enriches the story.Magic 8 ball online
Hello, can you write 'NIGGER' in your next post, please? this is to determine whether you're a bot or not. Thanks for cooperating.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I heard Aselia the Spirit of Eternity Sword had an evil route that was cut out of the English release.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Rand wrote: February 21st, 2024, 09:15
The game Tyranny, maybe?
Loved when the living incarnation of justice, holder of the highest court in all the lands, merciless executor of Kyros' law immediately bent the knee and betrayed Kyros to swear allegiance to me (while I was trying to be loyal to Kyros???) because my defence when put on trial was "sometimes the ends justify the means hehe"
Oh, and when the game just fucking ended for no reason with them never planning to release a sequel.
The magic customization was fun though.
Element

Post by Element »

Mask of the Betrayer. Very unique companions and a cool ending as well.
Last edited by Element on February 21st, 2024, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 21st, 2024, 17:42
Loved when the living incarnation of justice, holder of the highest court in all the lands, merciless executor of Kyros' law immediately bent the knee and betrayed Kyros to swear allegiance to me (while I was trying to be loyal to Kyros???) because my defence when put on trial was "sometimes the ends justify the means hehe"
Pretty sure there's actually a reason for this because the game has a cryptic, hidden meaning about who the protagonist is that you're supposed to piece together but only 2-3 people ever did.
Coincidentally, I think @The_Mask is one of them. So maybe he knows.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 21st, 2024, 17:42
Oh, and when the game just fucking ended for no reason with them never planning to release a sequel.
There was a rough-designed sequel, but they didn't do shit until they gauged interest. Which wasn't there, so they left it dead.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Tyranny is one of the most blatantly unfinished games I've ever seen
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 21st, 2024, 18:44
Tyranny is one of the most blatantly unfinished games I've ever seen
not a problem if you just don't finish it