We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Last of Us

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

The Last of Us

Post by Ranselknulf »

I started watching the Last of Us tv show on HBO and it kinda makes me want to play this rpg.

I've heard glowing reviews from the internet, although I wonder what the thoughts of you prestigious gentlemen might be.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

The Last of Us? An RPG?
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

anything with zombies is an rpg.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Ranselknulf wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 17:03
I've heard glowing reviews from the internet, although I wonder what the thoughts of you prestigious gentlemen might be.
You can always rent it, and by this I mean watching a YouTube playthrough.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

It's probably not worth buying right now, but if it goes on sale i'll pick it up. I usually buy games and collect them.

Sometimes I get around to playing them, sometimes I don't. *shrugs*
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

I've got it on PS3, but I never completed it. The game is as mediocre as it could be, with boring characters and story. Abandoned it after a few hours (somewhere between 5-8?) when I understood it won't get any better.
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

Nice trolling. TLoU is as much an RPG as Mario Party 10.

Anyway, great game, finished it twice on PS3 and then PS4. The ending is awesome because it's a beautiful fuck you to the concept of "the greater good".

The HBO series is a decline. They got the Mandalorian to play Joel and he looks like a cheap chinese knock-off. His daughter is transracial. Ellie looks like she suffers from trisomy. I heard the third episode was also very modern, but I didn't make it that far.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Previous thoughts:
I'm a sucker for action stealth, so I enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit. It also paced the ~tense gameplay sequences~ with the walk-around-and-loot-things-while-sometimes-solving-a-light-puzzle sequences pretty well. I was surprised to find that the original game did not have an obvious "human-enemies-and-zombies-fighting-each-other" section, though the DLC thankfully corrected that oversight.

I wasn't surprised by the writing though. I'm extremely familiar with the genre and ~rules of storytelling~ so I was able to predict everything before it happened. I also didn't like the main character who started as a jerk, and ended as one, and frankly, the beatdown he gets in the sequel is something he had coming. Additionally, a lot has been made about Ellie's ~lesbianism~ but I didn't get that vibe from her at all in the original, and even in the DLC it comes out of nowhere. Felt a lot more like Druckmann suddenly deciding to push an agenda instead of something that came about naturally.

Funny thing is that I'd probably enjoy the gameplay in the sequel since it's my understanding that it's almost entirely the same, but I'm not sure if it's worth enduring an even preachier melodrama, and I'm certainly not going to reward Drucky by buying it anywhere near full price. Perhaps at an extreme bargain.