We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Essential RPGs of 2022?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Essential RPGs of 2022?

Post by Gregz »

Which 2022 RPGs do you consider "must plays"?
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

diablo immortal
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

2022 was a terrible year for RPGs. The only things of note I can even remember are:

Black Geyser
Weird West
King Arthur
Solasta's DLC

Of those I'd only say King Arthur is a "must play".
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I would recommend trying out Expeditions: Rome in the so bad it's good dept.
King Arthur is really good.

What I hear it is good, but I haven't tried yet, and I want to: Thymesia and Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Elden Ring. Whether you're a Soulslike beginner or hardened veteran, it's a game worth playing.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've been keeping a .txt to track all the games I beat each year and I don't even have a single RPG on there for 2022. My list for 2022 is:

Shadow Warrior 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Sonic Frontiers
High on Life

I guess Cyberpunk is kind of an RPG, but not really and it wasn't even a 2022 release.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

LOL you'll be hard pressed to find an actual rpg these days let alone the one worth playing.
GhostCow wrote: February 10th, 2023, 01:49
I guess Cyberpunk is kind of an RPG, but not really and it wasn't even a 2022 release.
Cyberpunk is akshun-adventurd.
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

Played and finished Elden Ring and Triangle Strategy (ok, it's sRPG). Started King Arthur. But I wouldn't go as far as calling any of these "must play".
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

ELEX 2 is good

Also if you consider Mount & Blade an RPG, then Bannerlord is good too, but SP campaign is inferior to Warband and Viking Conquest, unfortunately.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Path of wuxia and Fate seeker 2 are good from what ive been able to see, waiting for a translation to know what the fuck is going on however.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Konjad wrote: February 11th, 2023, 07:40
ELEX 2 is good

Also if you consider Mount & Blade an RPG, then Bannerlord is good too, but SP campaign is inferior to Warband and Viking Conquest, unfortunately.
Elex 2 runs a lot better with the DX12 launcher, it now gets consistent frame rates. It wasn't playable for me closer to launch, I promptly uninstalled it.

Melee combat needs further improvements, it feels a little better than in Elex 1, but it's still neither fun, or effective. The problem is that melee needs better movesets, and some special attacks from the faction power sets, IMO. Fire, Ice fist, etc is pointless, they should have just made that half of the faction power set melee oriented, you get new moves and buffs for melee, like maybe Berserkers give you a flaming whirlwind attack with your weapon that's an AOE that hits for weapon damage + added fire & burning, etc.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

ELEX 2 is shit. I barely made it past where you meet SoyJax's bugeyed, mutant offspring before I'd had enough.
ERYFKRAD

Post by ERYFKRAD »

Konjad wrote: February 11th, 2023, 07:40
ELEX 2 is good

Yeah, I'm just waiting for Team Brytenwalda to save that one.
SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

Elden Ring was good, I didn't really play anything else that was "new" last year. Looking forward to Elden Ring DLC if it ever happens.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

:decline:

All the essential RPGs are from the '90s and '00s.

:yells at clouds:
Last edited by aeternalis on February 17th, 2023, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

SharkClub wrote: February 17th, 2023, 17:46
Looking forward to Elden Ring DLC if it ever happens.
It will. From Software has a hit on their hands, and they won't waste the opportunity to milk the Elder Cash Cow.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Devil Spire! It's also one of the only RPGs from 2022 I played.
Landers78

Post by Landers78 »

Only two I have played were Knights of the Chalice 2, which is pretty damn good for the combat, and Black Geyser, which is a "not bad" BG1 clone.

Must play would depend on whether you are a turn based D&D combat enjoyer, and a Baldur's Gate tragic.