Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Why is Fallout interpreted as a 'critique of capitalism'?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:37
Roguey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:32
Yeah, I asked the source. We didn't used to put agenda messages like that in our games back then, it's a more recent phenomenen.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Hubologists
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Daniel_Bird
Not really the same, I'd put that at the same level as parodies which FO2 is absolutely full of.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:44
Not really the same, I'd put that at the same level as parodies which FO2 is absolutely full of.
Maybe if they were out of the way side characters but Hubologists are a major faction you have to interact with and the other is the vice president next door to the leader of the main enemy faction.
Not to mention all the allegories for heckin racismarinos with Vault City.
As soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:52
You mean the black first citizen(Lynette) that was made black specifically to highlight that traits libtards see in whites aren't unique to whites? Avellone has spoken about this prior.
Furthermore, I suspect that she was made a black character to add an additional edge to her hypocrisy over slavery
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:54
Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:52
You mean the black first citizen(Lynette) that was made black specifically to highlight that traits libtards see in whites aren't unique to whites? Avellone has spoken about this prior.
Furthermore, I suspect that she was made a black character to add an additional edge to her hypocrisy over slavery
This is the same logic as "internalized racism" that you see today. It's even worse for her to be a dirty evil fascist (who dares to not allow infinite immigration of random wasteland trash into her city) because she's black and should know better! The point is they very clearly did put politics in there. Chris Avellone and Fallout 2 are some of the worst examples of the sort of shit you see commonly now in an older game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I think the real question is, who was old enough on the FO2 dev team to have been alive as an adult to experience Quaylisms? Avellone would have been much too young.
Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:58
This is the same logic as "internalized racism" that you see today. It's even worse for her to be a dirty evil fascist (who dares to not allow infinite immigration of random wasteland trash into her city) because she's black and should know better! The point is they very clearly did put politics in there. Chris Avellone and Fallout 2 are some of the worst examples of the sort of shit you see commonly now in an older game.
As for why Lynette's a bitch... well, Lynette does have an extreme managerial, economic, and efficient soul, and she's used to getting her way. She wasn't abused, tortured, or twisted in any way when she was young, she just got a certain privileged and superiority complex hardwired into her head around five or six years old, and she's never been the same. She's always known that she was destined to lead the Vault 8 Citizens, and that power has gone to her head.

She's been the leader of Vault City for many, many years, and she's seen the worst that the wasteland has to offer - but rather than taking sympathy on the poor souls that have come to Vault City for protection, she has instead taken the view that these "outlanders" were simply not strong or smart enough to achieve what Vault City has, and thus, are inferior. She tends to work too much and too hard, and she sees all her time as precious, so she has little patience for socializing without a purpose (i.e., if it doesn't involve politicking, she's going to be working late at the office instead) or for people dropping in and wasting her time.
This is just a stereotype of rich kids who get given everything and tend to act much like she does.

It makes more sense if instead of thinking of national immigration, you think on smaller scale. These people gatekeep the hell out of their neighborhoods. There's entire area codes in California that are exempt from having to construct certain types of housing for the poor because they're marked as 'historical' or 'charter', etc., Unsurprisingly, the people who live there tend to be mega-rich and/or close friends of those with political power.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 23rd, 2024, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 00:02
I think the real question is, who was old enough on the FO2 dev team to have been alive as an adult to experience Quaylisms? Avellone would have been much too young.
Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 23:58
As for why Lynette's a bitch... well, Lynette does have an extreme managerial, economic, and efficient soul, and she's used to getting her way. She wasn't abused, tortured, or twisted in any way when she was young, she just got a certain privileged and superiority complex hardwired into her head around five or six years old, and she's never been the same. She's always known that she was destined to lead the Vault 8 Citizens, and that power has gone to her head.

She's been the leader of Vault City for many, many years, and she's seen the worst that the wasteland has to offer - but rather than taking sympathy on the poor souls that have come to Vault City for protection, she has instead taken the view that these "outlanders" were simply not strong or smart enough to achieve what Vault City has, and thus, are inferior. She tends to work too much and too hard, and she sees all her time as precious, so she has little patience for socializing without a purpose (i.e., if it doesn't involve politicking, she's going to be working late at the office instead) or for people dropping in and wasting her time.
This is just a stereotype of rich kids who get given everything and tend to act much like she does.
When you put it this way she's starting to remind me of someone.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

I'm sure the Monica Lewinsky and Dan Quayle jokes on the Oil Rig were all him, though.
No. it was one of the lead designers. Those jokes sure have aged well (sarcasm), and it's even better that almost no one will recognize some of the references anymore because they are so outdated (which is why it's bad to even use modern refs even as jokes).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 16:35
I'm sure the Monica Lewinsky and Dan Quayle jokes on the Oil Rig were all him, though.
No. it was one of the lead designers. Those jokes sure have aged well (sarcasm), and it's even better that almost no one will recognize some of the references anymore because they are so outdated (which is why it's bad to even use modern refs even as jokes).
Heh, called it. Those jokes were a decade out of date when the game released, the guy who put them in must be pushing 60 now, if not older.

Honestly doesn't seem like something Feargus would do, so I guess it was Matthew J. Norton?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 23rd, 2024, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 16:38
onestly doesn't seem like something Feargus would do, so I guess it was Matthew J. Norton?
Yeah, here's his X account and his last repost is what you'd expect https://x.com/SoCalRover
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i fail to see the issue with not wanting niggers living anywhere near you
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

asf wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 16:42
because they're hypocrites who are happy with helping to fund niggers living near you, not them
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 16:44
asf wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 16:42
because they're hypocrites who are happy with helping to fund niggers living near you, not them
Not only happy, they will call you racist if you try to do anything about it.