Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Wuthering Waves - a post apoc Genshin Impact clone

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 22:09
Seriously theres this 'little girl' character in HRS called Huo Huo. Check her out. She is probably the most girly or feminine character Ive encountered in recent years. Shes afraid of everything. Shes like an antipod of modern 'strong woman' shit. She has a tale which is actually a ghost and that ghost jumpscares her all the time. Its fucking hilarious.
Have you just never consumed any oriental media ever? This is low brow slop made for people who have no life in them to play while they commute on a packed bullet train to work and when they get back it replaces interpersonal relationships with women by becoming attached to them in the gatcha games. This is genuinely a dime a dozen character archetype you can find in every single gatcha game I've ever seen, please find something of higher quality to enjoy. You are intentionally looking for something better than the slop you are fed by american media but you just trade it for low effort souless chink knockoff slop instead. You're like a beaten woman who leaves her abusive relationship after the 5th murder attempt and then immediately marries a violent convicted fellon who is chinese this time and becomes satisfied with her life because he beats her slightly less. Total stupid goy death is the only solution to the media quality crisis because you people never learn.

Tags:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Not the first time a chink has been so thoroughly destroyed by a chinese opium den :Inspector:
As soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Wow dude you just explained my whole life. Or is it your life? You have a demented imagination I can say that much.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 06:38
Wow dude you just explained my whole life. Or is it your life? You have a demented imagination I can say that much.
You had so much prep time to come up with something and this is it? I thought they beat you niggas until you got straight As :scratch:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

tbh I'd have given it a try if it actually had party members
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

If I didn't know the gameplay was going to be a brutal grind to incentivize molesting my wallet as much as fans want to molest the underage female characters and there was a cool vampire guy I'd try it.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

You fucks are so offensive when it comes to this game. You just cant stop shitting here. You act like your forum of pure white virginity has been invaded.

It has party members. Party composition usually has main dps, sub dps and support.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 07:21
You act like your forum of pure white virginity has been invaded.
Calm down ricel it's just a little ribbing we're not trying to put your status with the party at jeopardy.
This entire genre is not known for anything except cheap mobile slop to try and bilk lonely retards out of their cash by purchasing expensive micro-transactions. Not everyone is going to suddenly and aggressively shill for the game as hard as you have because "well there aren't any trannies in it".
You fucks are so offensive when it comes to this game. You just cant stop shitting here.
Also if you didn't want opinions you shouldn't have solicited them here with this thread and just bought an ad for the game or something Rusty will probably cut you a deal :D
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Vergil, I told you you arent getting my dick so stop pestering me. You act like attention seeking whore who is on permanent PMS.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 07:33
Vergil, I told you you arent getting my dick so stop pestering me.
So it doesn't come wiff eggrorr? :sad:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

It has party members. Party composition usually has main dps, sub dps and support.
Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:35
Wuwa is a Genshin clone so yeah you swap and thats the core game mechanic.
That is not a party, that is the developers not knowing how to create AI.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 07:39
Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:35
Wuwa is a Genshin clone so yeah you swap and thats the core game mechanic.
That is not a party, that is the developers not knowing how to create AI.
I think the real answer is more depressing. It's about selling characters. Probably some study determined that players form a deeper connection / will shell out money for a character if they control only one at a time versus controlling a party.

Post by 1998 »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 19:12
I can 100% confirm that LGBT shit is the work of american/english localisation team which is separate from Chinese mihoyo. Mihoyo just pays them to translate and do VO.

Look why dont you turn your brain on and think for a bit. Do you really think chinese commies would promote LGBT? Because GI and Honkai are getting support from CPC.

https://videogames.si.com/news/genshin- ... al-backing
I am not too sure about that. Generally, they try to inhouse all their translators. For some, it's pretty easy (Russian, Spanish, Indonesian...) for others I don't think they have much luck finding one in Shanghai (German...). I am not sure if they are translating from CN or EN, but they do require Chinese fluency for all their loc staff.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Vergil wrote: May 9th, 2024, 21:34
aweigh wrote: May 9th, 2024, 18:44
the graphics look amazing, i'll give them that
The fact chinese made art looks indistinguishable from AI further proves they are soulless bug people who can only imitate not create.
She looks like a rehash of Nahida from Genshin.

Even does the same airplane arm run

StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

The menus look exact the same as Genshins, is it by the same people? Used to play Genshin on phone casually but stopped because of the non skippable chat scenes. They were so long I'd fall asleep and wake up halfway through it stuck on a response option. Like literally hours of chatter I couldn't stand it any longer.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Not that I really play these games these days was just curious
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

I've had some time to play it for a bit and test it out seeing as it is free, and from my own experience, it is not a look-alike to Genshin but more of an almost exact copy of Tower of Fantasy on more than one aspect, minus the bugs and jankiness. Aside from elements of the UI and some character designs (like posted above and many others), it is very little like Genshin that I am seeing.

For gender, I have not seen anything, but there is an option for "Other" in the survey aside from Prefer not to say, Female and Male.

Something that made me pause was a character named Scar who you meet at a certain, pretty early, point of the story. There are usually at least two dialogue options, or one neutral option, for every dialogue, yet with him, who also has a lot of symbolism to a black "lamb" (not a lamb but goats, as they all have horns, and he has the long curved ones) there was only options to say you believe in no hierarchy, believe in absolute equality and that you don't like when there is someone in charge. Will leave it to SoLong who said will be doing a review to speak more on this if he will, but, to me, it sounded they were also hinting at God being evil there was a lot of "evil sheperd" and the lambs and all the rest, I am bad at explaining forgive me, I am doing my best and that people should not hold belief or follow a higher power. I ran through the game but without skipping any of it to see if I could recommend this game to a guy I know that might be interested (scouring for gender idiocy), and besides that survey bullshit that is also in Star Rail and the dialogue mentioned above, I have found nothing else so far... aside a lot of women in power, but I attribute that to the "coomer" stuff in these types of games from China and Japan.
Reminder that the guy that said the above is said to be a maniac and evil, and I am fine with that, he also has plenty of craziness that might have warped his mind. The issue is that our character only has the option to say "I hate hierarchy, W absolute equality", even though it never came up once before in the story.

I am feeling a bit under the weather, but wanted to let this be here for anyone before they start investing their time in this to, at least, look for that dialogue/cutscene before spending money or anything, this goes for anyone reading this, not only HQ members. If I disappear for a while, it should be only for resting.

Best of luck for the review @SoLong ! There are leaks saying they will give a free 5 star selection (an item, just click it and you get a 5 star) in case there is any need to boost the team to scythe through the map, should be given by the in-game mail :heart:
EDIT: forgot to say, the mail thing will be the 26th of this month
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on May 24th, 2024, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
- Here to show my support for normal gaming.

Thank you for existing! :bounce:
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

I played ToF too. Wuwa is a Genshin clone, no doubt about it. ToF is an MMO. The only thing similar to ToF is a sci-fi setting. In terms of quality ToF is nowhere near this.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

DagothGeas5 wrote: May 24th, 2024, 20:06
Best of luck for the review @SoLong ! There are leaks saying they will give a free 5 star selection (an item, just click it and you get a 5 star) in case there is any need to boost the team to scythe through the map, should be given by the in-game mail :heart:
EDIT: forgot to say, the mail thing will be the 26th of this month
Thanks. I think I'll enjoy writing it, the game certainly has lots of things to talk about, both good and bad. :toot:
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Boggles my mind fame studios will pour hundreds of millions of dollars into these games but can't be bothered to pay good writers and voice directors when that is comparatively one of the cheapest parts.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Any online game that uses client-side anticheat is the most vulnerable to cheating. Any proper game has moved everything important to the server and the client is just a dumb client.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Ah, seems I'll need to include the fact I'm on PC (and probably the specs) in the review. The worst technical issue I encountered up to now is the texture pop in.

Which is also the only thing that really reminds me of Genshin Impact (the Mondstadt texture issues at lauch were atrocious for me at least). Honestly, I don't know why people call this a Genshin clone. Outside of "they are both gacha games with open world mechanics" there is very little direct connection typing it to Genshin over, say, Breath of the Wild. It's less that they're ripping off Genshin and more that both Genshin and this game are "taking inspiration" from the same collection of older games.

This feels like that horrible time where clueless gaming journos called every moderately challenging game "The Dark Souls of X" because their gaming knowledge is so limited Dark Souls is the only hard game they know.

Some of those points are almost certainly bullshit though. The lionboy point in particular because tilting the odds for one single unit in this manner would be much harder to program than the normal RNG generator. That's not really something you can do by accident.

I can't comment on the points under 1 because I don't intentionally break the game I'm playing.

From what my cursory research has shown me the writing issues were mostly during the two closed betas the game had? The story was changed in beta, I think the intro missions and tutorials were completely rewritten. Ironically redditors who complained about it now want the original they whined about back, despite the fact that it would now clash horribly with the entire rest of the game.

The combat system is a colossal improvement over Genshin, particularly once the game takes the kid-gloves off and the enemies start hitting harder. It's the one point I've seen up to this point where the game in unquestionably superior. I'll need to put this in the review in a seaparate section...

Also, on the downside: My original refusal to learn anything about the combat mechanics resulted in me getting killed by a murdercar with spider legs, a weird mecha-crab-scorpion thing and a laser shooting mushroom and its family.

Which is apparently a sign that the developers forsaw that players would ignore their friendly request to learn how to dodge, counter and interrupt and decided that they should repeat their request in a less friendly manner.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

They certainly changed some things for the better compared to Genshin. Running doesnt require stamina, you can wall run (requires stamina), you can use grappling hook, gliding is less taxing on stamina, etc. Movement is overall faster and it makes exploration less tedious. Combat is naturally on another level compared to Genshin.

What they didnt change is the obtuse dialogues which for the most part cannot be skipped. But afaik they promised to make most of the dialogue skipable in one of the next updates.
Finarfin

Post by Finarfin »

The story from what little I played was fairly "boring" (Might get better later on) combat is similar to devil may cry or bayonetta, seeing as it has the perfect dodging mechanic, meaning it slows down time and a counter attack is then damage boosted. You also have counter-attacks (You see a golden circle on the enemy and if the second one is overlapping, attacking makes them stagger) you can combine aerial attacks with ground attacks and each character has his own combos and abilities. The gacha system so far is pretty generous, you get astrite for every little thing you do and also get the passes needed for pulls either through quests or other means.
Jews will call you an antisemite but never a liar.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Fucking lol. I can forgive a studio in the 90s fucking up like this, but clientside stuff in the 2020s with a completely useless (and malicious!) anti-cheat? FFs..
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

so does the game suck or
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Nammu Archag wrote: May 26th, 2024, 15:52
so does the game suck or
Yankee Zulu wrote: May 9th, 2024, 18:07
Chinese gacha game
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

So I've played the first hour or so and these are the general impressions I've gotten

Gameplay
Optimization is not great, which is depressing given this game looks like Fortnite. Hope they iron that out because it's just embarrassing.
Combat reminds me of DMC (cool!) but they use the tag-in system akin to Genshin which is kinda lame. Would be fine if they were an actual party following me around, but no your squad just exists in a pocket dimension until you tag in. This makes both combat and exploration jarring, as you are apparently in a party yet only one person is visible 90% of the time. The echoes are also really dumb. Its like pokemon where you capture the essence of enemies and can use them in combat. Why? Also just jarring and excessive in combat, but otherwise combat is fine at first glance. It's technically an "RPG" but only in the sense that you consume items that make stats go up and pick abilities. Very lame and tedious.

Setting/Story
I still barely know what is going on. The world isn't introduced whatsoever. You use flying swords and stuff of that nature to fight monsters. You wear modern weeby clothes yet the girls you meet all dress like some wuxia game so you doubt what is going on and then boom there's a city with guns, cars, elevators, etc. The monsters look like off-brand pokemon or overdrawn villains. Straight up this is some wuxia palworld shit in a genshin style game, I would be surprised if palworld didn't heavily impact this game. I think this is supposed to be earth thousands of years in the future but there's simultaneously a bunch of Chinese mythology stuff as well. Jinzhou (first town) looks kinda cool but idk what there is to actually do there yet besides cutscenes and a couple quest related things.

Speaking of cutscenes, there are A LOT. I think I spent more time in cutscenes trying to process what is happening than actually exploring. It's basically just listening to these anime girls tell you about Chinese Huanglong mythology and gawk over your chosen one trope. You cant open your settings during them either so if you want to quit before doing an important scene or change the settings FUCK YOU, you will have to skip it all. There are also dialogue options in the cutscenes which seemingly do nothing, though maybe I am wrong (doubt it!).

Finally the VA and writing. The Voice Acting is awful. I had to skip the first dialogue cutscene because I just couldn't stand the English VA and couldn't change it during the cutscene. Just really jarring like many other things. Japanese seems slightly better. The VAs seem more passionate though maybe that's since I just can't understand it, though it makes everyone sound like little girls so pass anyways. I'm using the Chinese voice over now but even it is a bit strange, especially for Yangyang who speaks super quickly yet robotically. The writing itself is also strange as little makes sense yet and the options in dialogue seem to hardly relate to your actual protagonist's actions.

I will probably play a bit more of the game since I have a friend who wants to play it. I can't really tell if I just hate this genre or what. Gameplay aside from the echoes and party system seems fun yet unchallenging. I still need to do more exploring to have an impression on that. The setting is okay beyond everything being about sound and frequencies (the main antagonists are literally like sound anomalies or something lol). The game (so far) is certainly way less troony and soulless than genshin but that is a low bar. Everyone is Chinaryan so no minorities or woke stuff either (yet). Who knows though.
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT