We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Wuthering Waves - a post apoc Genshin Impact clone

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@Yankee Zulu, I've never played any of these 3d gachas. All I hear about are the art style and characters. Do they have compelling gameplay? I guess you can't say for sure about this one since it isn't out yet, but you seem like a connoiseur of the genre. I enjoy challenging action games and I dislike grinding. Is there anything in them for me?

Tags:
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 19:56
What languages can you speak? The best way to play is still in Chinese because any translation will lack many nuances and in some cases will be outright incorrect. I do not speak Chinese myself but I know how Chinese language works and it is completely different from any european language. I would guess Korean and Japanese or some other asian language would be a better option because Chinese culture had a huge influence on the whole Asian region.
I am currently learning Chinese and can confirm too that the localizations cannot fully encompass the depth of some dialogues, poems, etc (which, as you also pointed out, are full of Chinese culture that needs to be understood to truly "get it", with references to ancient China's myths and more) and absolutely, majority of translations are incorrect or do not convey the original expression, sometimes outright changing a character's personality or warping the story to suit their translation. It might be tricky to translate from Chinese, but there are no excuses for many of their shenanigans.
As for speaking (put in a spoiler because it might be going off topic and it's a bit of a mouthful)
► Show Spoiler
Vergil wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:10
I don't think anybody is going to put up with chinese to play a mobile game.

Nah, in all seriousness I am playing BECAUSE I am learning Chinese, and games are easy to get repetitive dialogue from. I am liking it so far because it is a very visual language that I am seeing, and I've never learned a language that doesn't use anything even remotely resembling latin, it's a fun challenge when I am stuck in bed compared to do Italian crosswords where you are supposed to know which football player is which or who won the latest television singing contest.
SoLong wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:21
How could anyone know? It's not out yet.
There have been open betas where people played and streamed it, but I am personally waiting for the official thing, especially after Baldur's Gate 3. Tectone is the one that made me aware this game existed

(Haven't seen the video because I wish to know when the game actually launches to get an opinion, but posting this here for anyone interested) @WhiteShark There is a video here in case it might help in any way (sorry for the long-ass post, the moment I clicked Submit there have been a mass other posts, I can't keep up XD )
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on May 21st, 2024, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WhiteShark wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:25
I dislike grinding
Well the CCCP Initiate bundle is currently on sale for $299 and gives you two guaranteed SS+ rank limited time offer shota prince pulls so it's a good time to get into it if you're interested
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:31
Well the CCCP Initiate bundle is currently on sale for $299 and gives you two guaranteed SS+ rank limited time offer shota prince pulls so it's a good time to get into it if you're interested
Again with the character shilling! You won't sway me that easily, Winnie the Pooh!
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

DagothGeas5 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 19:45
Could explain more on sex and "gender" in the Russian language? I am not understanding the difference from the example (doesn't help that I believe "gender" is nonsense made up by that Money guy to pervert a human's personal dispositions).
Well, basically there is no such word (or concept) as "gender" in russian language, only sex. In attempt to make some sense of what this "gender" means and what to do with it, gender translated as synonym to sex.

People know about western gender bullshit, but only people who care about pronounce and all this shit is usually live in Moscow, by a strange coincidence, they are all children of the richest strata of the population, raised on modern american culture and has parents money to visit murica.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:36
DagothGeas5 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 19:45
Could explain more on sex and "gender" in the Russian language? I am not understanding the difference from the example (doesn't help that I believe "gender" is nonsense made up by that Money guy to pervert a human's personal dispositions).
Well, basically there is no such word (or concept) as "gender" in russian language, only sex. In attempt to make some sense of what this "gender" means and what to do with it, gender translated as synonym to sex.

People know about western gender bullshit, but only people who care about pronounce and all this shit is usually live in Moscow, by a strange coincidence, they are all children of the richest strata of the population, raised on modern american culture and has parents money to visit murica.
There was no difference in the english language until recently, gender was a synonym for sex when referring to humans.
https://www.websters1913.com/words/Gender
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

@Yankee Zulu, I've never played any of these 3d gachas. All I hear about are the art style and characters. Do they have compelling gameplay? I guess you can't say for sure about this one since it isn't out yet, but you seem like a connoiseur of the genre. I enjoy challenging action games and I dislike grinding. Is there anything in them for me?
I used to be like you. 'fucking anime for weebs with little girls for fucking pedos". And then you know I tried it. And it wasnt kinda bad. Im not a fucking expert, I only really played 2 of them - Honkai and Genshin. I started with Honkai btw because it was sci fi and looked a bit more mature than Genshin. I hesitated to try Genshin for a long time. But after playing HRS I gave up and tried it. Its pretty good. I know thers tonns of chinese shit outthere but these 2 games are top notch in terms of quality. They are very good at what they do. The best actually.

Well actually I played 3. I also tried Tower of Fantasy. But it was not for long. ToS is not really good.

And I never spent a penny on these games. Its completely optional. Regarding grinding yes theres grinding lots of it and the gameplay is not really challenging. However you can skip some of the grinding with your credit card and late game game modes can be challenging and require thorough understanding of game mechanics.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:44
I used to be like you. 'fucking anime for weebs with little girls for fucking pedos".
@WhiteShark is probably the top weeb on the site. He even speaks nipponese.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

About 'little girls'. Yes, they are present but you can ignore them completely. You can have big mommas in your party. Or big daddys if you prefer. Theres plenty of characters to choose from.

Like this one from Genshin.
https://hoyo.link/80GCFBAL?q=28S3ny00nb9
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 20:58
About 'little girls'. Yes, they are present but you can ignore them completely. You can have big mommas in your party. Or big daddys if you prefer. Theres plenty of characters to choose from.

so its a hero game and you can only use their "heroes"
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

About 'little girls'. Yes, they are present but you can ignore them completely.
Isn't this the same argument used about things like fags and troons in those western games you despise? :scratch:
At least Baldur's Gate 3 let's me bash any character I don't like over the head with a big hammer.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Nammu Archag wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:03

Theres no character creation in a way that is present in western rpgs. But you can name your character and you can choose between a male and female options. That is your main character, he is the center of the story. But it is not obligatory to have your main character in combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:28

Theres no character creation in a way that is present in western rpgs. But you can name your character and you can choose between a male and female options. That is your main character, he is the center of the story. But it is not obligatory to have your main character in combat.
Is it like genshin impact where you swap between characters or do they actually fight with you? :scratch:
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:03
@Yankee Zulu do you play genshin impact?
Yes. I play both HRS and GI. With wuwa out ill probably switch to it at least for some time. Its not like ive been playing them for fucking years. With HRS I started like 1.5 years ago. With GI after that.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:29
Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:28

Is it like genshin impact where you swap between characters or do they actually fight with you? :scratch:
You seriously have no clue or are you trolling? Dude just try, its a fucking free game. You are not going to catch AIDS from it.

Wuwa is a Genshin clone so yeah you swap and thats the core game mechanic. Party composition, character setup, combos and swapping is what makes the combat strategic.
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Vergil wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:14
About 'little girls'. Yes, they are present but you can ignore them completely.
Isn't this the same argument used about things like fags and troons in those western games you despise? :scratch:
At least Baldur's Gate 3 let's me bash any character I don't like over the head with a big hammer.
Dude trannies are trannies in western games. They say so. Pedophilia is outlawed everywhere. You understand? You ever talked to kids? Sometimes they can even be funny. This is the case in these games.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:35
Wuwa is a Genshin clone so yeah you swap and thats the core game mechanic. Party composition, character setup, combos and swapping is what makes the combat strategic.
oh… nevermind.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:38
Dude trannies are trannies in western games. They say so. Pedophilia is outlawed everywhere. You understand? You ever talked to kids? Sometimes they can even be funny. This is the case in these games.
You must not have been on the internet long if you genuinely think weebs like little girls because they're "funny".
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:39
Yankee Zulu wrote: May 21st, 2024, 21:35
oh… nevermind.
This fool runs an RPG forum and doesn't understand the basics of one of the most popular RPGs in the world
shaking my head
Yankee Zulu

Post by Yankee Zulu »

Seriously theres this 'little girl' character in HRS called Huo Huo. Check her out. She is probably the most girly or feminine character Ive encountered in recent years. Shes afraid of everything. Shes like an antipod of modern 'strong woman' shit. She has a tale which is actually a ghost and that ghost jumpscares her all the time. Its fucking hilarious.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I don't want to play games or watch media about little chinese girls in revealing outfits as a male adult.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Do they have compelling gameplay?
I've played Genshin. Gameplay is not compelling.

You play as only a single character with no NPC party members. It's strange as in the story, you're travelling with a band of friends (Aether, Dilluc, Jean, and Venti), but in gameplay you can only have one of them out of on the field at any given time (the character you are controlling). So the gameplay feels lonely. But the gameplay is built around swapping between characters during combat to 1. rotate their abilities on cooldown, and 2. combo their different elemental abilities (ie, using a Hydro character's attack to drench an enemy that has a fire shield, and then swapping to an Electro character and using their attack on that drenched enemy to break the fire shield). It feels very unimmersive to be constantly swapping characters on the spot like this. Also, basic mobs felt like big HP sponges, even when I was trying to optimize my gear the best I could. Your attacks feel like they hit like a wet noodle, and fights with basic overworld mobs dragged on for way too long.

Another issue is that you might be travelling with Dilluc/Jean/Venti in the story, but you haven't drawn them from the gacha, nor are they given to you for free like in GBF. So you can't play as the characters you're ostensibly travelling with, and you're instead having to use these other characters you might have drawn but aren't canon to the story. It feels very disconnected.

There are no mounts or airships. Instead you teleport to waypoints that are all overall the place, making the world feel disconnected. I don't have a solid grasp of the geography because I never travel anywhere continuously. Running along on the ground also felt bad. Gliding also didn't feel as fun as in GW2 either.

The game suffers from the Ubisoft problem where there are too many copypasted camps and treasures everywhere, which makes 100% map completion an extremely long and tedious task. But you can't just ignore these treasures because they dripfeed you the Primogems you need to buy a character, but again if you're completing chests and camps you're getting dripfed Primogems and it is simply more efficient to work a real life job and buy primogems. Genshin doesn't give away hundreds of characters every year for free or give you characters through story progression like GBF does.

I did not like how there was a mismatch between the character designs of regular townsfolk NPCs, and the over elaborate designs of the playable characters. They do not look like they exist in the same setting.

The story is bad. The first arc, the Mondstadt arc, starts off as inoffensive but very "meh" and forgettable. The story starts becoming offensively bad in the Liyue and Inazuma arcs, where you're fighting against bad guys trying to wipe out the country or tyrannical dictators that people are dying trying to flee the country from, only for said villains to get off scott free. English dub is mediocre.

Some of the character designs are nice. Venti and Raiden Shogun are clear winners. Unfortunately, the characters in Genshin are very samey. All of the playable characters look like teenagers or young 20 somethings, all of slender build. In fact, they all use the same four or five character models (loli girl, teenage girl, young adult girl. Teenage boy, slightly more buff young adult boy). You don't get anyone with wide shoulders, let alone characters that look older than 25. Again, GBF gives you much more variety. EDIT: I remembered that the new Fontaine region introduced a slightly older looking man, Neuvillete. Sadly he was only available to purchase during a limited time banner.

Genshin has a housing system which I have heard praised but I never unlocked it.

There is a lot of seasonal, limited time content that never comes back, such as entire islands from summer events or cooking minigames.

Genshin has some neat setting stuff. IIRC the world/planet is inside out or something, with there being a firmament or wall above the ground. "Stars" in the sky are actually wisps embedded in the firemament/wall and sometimes fall down to the ground. If you dig underground, you will descend into outer space (called the Abyss).

The art sometimes looks good. I like the animated 2D clouds and how they appear and disappear, and the rim lighting effect on the clouds. I wish other games would do that.

The only really good thing about Genshin is the soundtrack. Generally better than modern Western game music. However, a lot of it is orchestrated stuff in an age where we are overexposed to orchestras, so it's not a favorite soundtrack of mine. But there are some standouts:

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on May 22nd, 2024, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm not entirely against the concept of a solo journey but it's very retarded to have both the story and gameplay revolve so much around traveling with a party and using their different abilities to compliment each other but just... not doing that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 00:26
I'm not entirely against the concept of a solo journey
I am, the reason they don't put party members in games anymore is because the devs are too incompetent to make party AI.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 00:27
Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 00:26
I'm not entirely against the concept of a solo journey
I am, the reason they don't put party members in games anymore is because the devs are too incompetent to make party AI.
this is also largely a mobile game first and foremost. And we thought console limitations were bad back in the day...
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I hate the character swapping thing too. Robs you of having a party.

I tried out Genshin Impact when it came out and didn't like it, played like a mobile game. I watched some Wuthering Waves footage and the graphics look amazing but I suspect it won't be any better in the gameplay department.