Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

DarkBad RPG

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

DarkBad RPG

Post by WhiteShark »

DarkBad on itch.io wrote:
DarkBad RPG

Are you tired of Tabletop RPGs with good design, good rules, and good ethics?

Darkbad is a 20 page, rules lite fantasy roleplaying game inspired by the OSR and the flotsam floating around it. It is ugly, cheap, and lazy. A true callback to simpler times.

Anti-features:

• Strict 1:1 Timekeeping
  • Simple combat system where death is fast and grim
  • Always-on initiative system
  • Familiar skill rolls with a minimalist twist
  • Endless room for improvement
You can download the rules here: https://archivesofmu.itch.io/darkbad-rpg

Lookin' pretty good. I already made my character:
► Thrinarv Lightbeard
@Ratcatcher, you ever considered setting that pansy CoC crap aside and playing a real man's RPG like DarkBad?
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Interesting but I only play CoC to introduce new people to pnp and lure them in. Once they are addicted, I present them with advanced systems for true Grognards, like Macho Women with Guns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macho_Women_with_Guns

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/387 ... women-guns

It's gud.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Sorry, I prefer high concept games like HYBRID. :ugeek:
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Hot garbage.

Failed parody of ShadowDark, if that's what this is. SD has zero culture war or politics in it (half the reason I gave it look in the first place), and yet this pretentious piece of miserable humor is just politicized commentary on a game the designer obviously hasn't read, since said game has none of the elements DarkBad is trying to turn into a punchline.

Keep the ol' chip on your shoulder and keep blindly perpetuating the culture war in gaming, bro. So sick of the politics.
wrote:
Humbaba does raise some good points
wrote:
@humbaba is a great addition to the HQ
wrote:
I like Humbaba.
wrote:
you've all caused@Humbaba to post something I agree with.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Humbaba triggered because he read "Dark" and "Bad"
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Humbaba wrote: July 30th, 2023, 10:33
Hot garbage.

Failed parody of ShadowDark, if that's what this is. SD has zero culture war or politics in it (half the reason I gave it look in the first place), and yet this pretentious piece of miserable humor is just politicized commentary on a game the designer obviously hasn't read, since said game has none of the elements DarkBad is trying to turn into a punchline.

Keep the ol' chip on your shoulder and keep blindly perpetuating the culture war in gaming, bro. So sick of the politics.
It seems like a parody of one of the 500 other OSR games.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

It parodies both OSR and nuRPG design, but it's not like that's a secret. From the description page quoted in the OP:
DarkBad RPG on itch.io wrote:
Darkbad is a 20 page, rules lite fantasy roleplaying game inspired by the OSR and the flotsam floating around it. It is ugly, cheap, and lazy. A true callback to simpler times.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

Its a funny spoof of the stuff Stockholm Kartell makes (in this case its morkborg). Haven't actually played it tho.
Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate’.