Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Chronicling the inability of gamedevs to make video games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 15th, 2024, 16:35
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:15
Oyster Sauce wrote: April 9th, 2024, 22:51
The Assassin's Creed: Red character reveal trailer is going to be a very fun time.
One more sleep :)

How will the slant-eyed bastards deal with this new invasive species of monkeys? Find out next time on Assassin's Creed.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 13th, 2024, 20:49
Even normies are starting to notice gamedevs can't make games anymore
how come there is no similar video about PS3?
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

Irenaeus wrote: May 15th, 2024, 14:10
Statesman wrote: May 15th, 2024, 14:00
AI wouldn't be much of a time-improvement versus "traditional" photobashing methods on such an artstyle-heavy game.
That's not really the case. Are you unfamiliar with AI tools in enhancing and modifying art, including portraits? More importantly, are you an artist threatened to lose your job by AI? :Inspector:
I am familiar. LLM/AI are great to quickly visualize concepts, but committee-approved final designs (that must also fit a peculiar style) still requires a human hand. Even assuming they had actually bothered to train a LORA with their released/unreleased works (judging from the placeholder art, they haven't), they would have spent hours spent on the actual generation/prompt fine-tuning, photo-bashing and other editing work before getting a final product. Depending on the feedback process and/or the artist talent, I could easily see someone come up with workable designs faster by skipping AI tools and just photo-bashing previous designs/reference images.

Thankfully my actual job is safe from the LLM menace (for now) :smug: .
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Statesman wrote: May 16th, 2024, 02:53
committee-approved final designs
Not a fan of these.
Well, I guess I could be in theory if such a committee wasn't retarded (had women, faggots or non-whites).
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Valve is back, baby!

Leak from their new MOBA Hero Shooter

StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 06:19
Valve is back, baby!

Real? What about L4D3?
machnizedTerror

Post by machnizedTerror »

Valve is back, baby!
:bounce:
:rip:

what are the chances this won't be a woke mess?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Valve is still pretty apolitical. They are not a publicly traded company, they didn't accept DEI money, and they never rapidly expanded by hiring wokesters. I strongly doubt they would go woke with this project, well maybe just a tiny bit.

With that's being said, where the hell is Half-Life 3?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

wndrbr wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 10:56
Valve is still pretty apolitical. They are not a publicly traded company, they didn't accept DEI money, and they never rapidly expanded by hiring wokesters. I strongly doubt they would go woke with this project, well maybe just a tiny bit.

Valve is a Sweet Baby client
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

As far as I understand, the retarded way Valve operates is that a project only gets greenlit if the person pushing for it can get enough other coworkers on board, and apparently no one at Valve has much interest in making another Half-Life game.

Also, there is no financial pressure to get things done, so projects can languish in dev hell for years on end.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

If Valve self-publishes a game developed by one dev in his spare time in the office over the course of a decade, does it count as an indie game?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:48
As far as I understand, the retarded way Valve operates is that a project only gets greenlit if the person pushing for it can get enough other coworkers on board, and apparently no one at Valve has much interest in making another Half-Life game.

Also, there is no financial pressure to get things done, so projects can languish in dev hell for years on end.
yeah but i thought they've managed to pull their heads out of their asses after HL Alyx came out. Gabe even said in one of the interviews how they are revising their project managing methodologies, and that "Valve is back".
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:01
Gabe even said in one of the interviews how they are revising their project managing methodologies, and that "Valve is back".
The lead writer left, and after he did he published the script for HL3 in a fit of pique. I'm not even sure how many developers that worked on HL1 or 2 are still with the company.

I'm sure that Valve will eventually release a sequel to Half-Life, there no reason for them not to do it, but we're likely not going to see a release in a long time.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:28
wndrbr wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:01
Gabe even said in one of the interviews how they are revising their project managing methodologies, and that "Valve is back".
The lead writer left, and after he did he published the script for HL3 in a fit of pique. I'm not even sure how many developers that worked on HL1 or 2 are still with the company.
he left way before HL Alyx was released.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Five years of development to make a movie

Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Valve is back, baby!

The gargoyle in the little newsboy flatcap looks neat.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

imagine valve making a hero shooter
they might even add hats
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

I don`t think that Valve making a hero shooter is a bad idea. I mean, OW2 sucks and is their chance to get the market.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

That lineup at the bottom does not look promising.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WhiteShark wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 21:47
Bro you can be Grey Talon

GhostCow
Turtle
Turtle

Post by GhostCow »

The blue chick is kind of cute though
☆HQ Defense Force☆
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 21:50
Bro you can be Grey Talon

Is this supposed to be a really fat old dude? It's hard to make out
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Bullshit. They hired Mollygos who in turn hired a troon to do art for some of their sale events.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Also, this game looks like shit and it uses the Bioshit Infinite skyrail system so it's double shit.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

depressing to see that after like a decade of sitting on their asses guzzling dollars from dota/cs/tf2/steam etc valve makes a retarded overwatch clone, which, yknow, was a retarded clone of their golden goose, Team Fortress 2

like why make a half-assed gay version of your game that just mimics its mimic

i have no faith in volvo anymore anyway but just sad to see
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Half-Life 2 itself wasn't all that good, it was a glorified tech demo and I will stand by that. It also had a lot of plot inconsistencies with the first game, and the new elements felt half-baked. Gordon being treated as a Christ-like figure when he was literally responsible for causing the resonance cascade is hilarious. People should be PISSED at this guy, but in Half-Life 2 they treat him as a hero. It's strange.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 06:13
Half-Life 2 itself wasn't all that good, it was a glorified tech demo and I will stand by that.
It's about as long as the average FPS was back in the day, and about the same length as the original game. The physics stuff is a tad overused, but back then it was pretty awesome to watch all the ragdolling and objects flying around.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad game, just a tad overrated. The gunplay is awful though.
when he was literally responsible for causing the resonance cascade is hilarious
That's an unfair take - all Gordon did was push the cart as ordered by his superiors.

It's fairly obvious the G-Man was the one that precipitated events by handing the crystal over to Black Mesa, and I have my pet theory that he was the one that convinced the brass to send in HECU to kill all the Black Mesa staff (which, incidentally, gets rid of the only people on the planet that had the knowledge on how to stop the resonance cascade).

I do however agree with the sentiment that HL2 makes the world feel way too small. What are the chances Gordon's former colleagues and friends wind up as leaders of the resistance, in the same city, ready to provide aid? Why is Gordon now a one-man causality wrecking ball that can topple a tyrannical regime simply by running away from the cops?

Still, I can't help but like the story - the mystery behind the unanswered questions, the general worldbuilding, the way the characters speak and act.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

gerey wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 06:50
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 06:13
Half-Life 2 itself wasn't all that good, it was a glorified tech demo and I will stand by that.
It's about as long as the average FPS was back in the day, and about the same length as the original game. The physics stuff is a tad overused, but back then it was pretty awesome to watch all the ragdolling and objects flying around.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad game, just a tad overrated. The gunplay is awful though.
when he was literally responsible for causing the resonance cascade is hilarious
That's an unfair take - all Gordon did was push the cart as ordered by his superiors.

It's fairly obvious the G-Man was the one that precipitated events by handing the crystal over to Black Mesa, and I have my pet theory that he was the one that convinced the brass to send in HECU to kill all the Black Mesa staff (which, incidentally, gets rid of the only people on the planet that had the knowledge on how to stop the resonance cascade).

I do however agree with the sentiment that HL2 makes the world feel way too small. What are the chances Gordon's former colleagues and friends wind up as leaders of the resistance, in the same city, ready to provide aid? Why is Gordon now a one-man causality wrecking ball that can topple a tyrannical regime simply by running away from the cops?

Still, I can't help but like the story - the mystery behind the unanswered questions, the general worldbuilding, the way the characters speak and act.
But that's not how people would remember it, if they knew what exactly happened anyway. To them, Gordon and his team were the direct cause of their misery. So it's ridiculous to assume that anybody would treat him as a good guy, let alone the savior of the world. The characters in Half-Life 2 were never a part of the original's story also. There was no Kleiner, no Eli, no Wallace Breen, and no Barney. They all speak as if they know Gordon intimately, when we as the player had never seen any of them during our playthrough of Half-Life. These are retroactive characters, and a sign of bad writing IMO.

I too appreciate the mysteries that Half-Life 2 presents, but it's foundation was always pretty rocky. It only didn't matter because the game's presentation is so good.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 08:36
To them, Gordon and his team were the direct cause of their misery
I don't think it's stated anywhere that the majority of the population knows what went down. Take into account that after HL1 things went to shit very, very fast - less than a week between the resonance cascade and the 6 hour war. At best US citizens were informed that something was going down at Black Mesa, but from HL2 we know the whole North American continent is uninhabitable. It's very questionable just how many US citizens survived the mess.
There was no Kleiner, no Eli, no Wallace Breen, and no Barney.
Other than Breen, the rest were all in the game. Kleiner was the hurt scientist next to Eli near the start of the game, Barney is the security guard you see banging on the door during the train ride.

Granted, you could argue that all of this was retroactively foisted onto HL1, but even those retcons happened before the release of HL2. I think Valve deliberately used very similar character models and voice actors to cue the audience onto the fact that Eli was one of the black scientists you met, Kleiner was one of the bald ones, and Barney was one of the security guards. Helps that all the friendly NPCs refer to Gordon by name during HL1, they know who he is.

If you look at it favorably, what Valve did was flesh out existing characters.

I'll agree with you that HL2's writing has issues and is not tonally in synch with the first game, but the characters are likeable, the worldbuilding is interesting (especially since Valve's writers knew to leave questions unanswered) and the plot itself motivates you to see what happens next.
Last edited by gerey on May 23rd, 2024, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »