We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPGCodex has gone insane

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Atlantico wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 14:25
Taluntain is a moron and he's running more than one forum, the 2FA is his idea
Yeah and those other forums didn't have any users get hacked. It's just the Codex that attracts unhinged troublemakers.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Roguey wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 14:59
Yeah and those other forums didn't have any users get hacked. It's just the Codex that attracts unhinged troublemakers.
Wantonly abusing your user base has consequences.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

It's just the Codex that attracts unhinged troublemakers.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean you retarded nigger faggot?
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

He doesn't care at all about somebody getting "hacked", only that the breached account started deleting posts causing XenoForo to shit itself, which Taluntain says is simply a "feature" of XenoForo and the devs know about it and are not going to do anything about it since deleting a thousand posts "isn't the correct way to use the software".

Somebody getting their account breached isn't because of hacking of "unhinged troublemakers" it's because said user is so stupid he used the same login and password on a completely unrelated site which did get hacked and his login/password was leaked. The right answer to that is to nuke that account and laugh at the user for being so stupid. Maybe he'll learn an important lesson.

2FA is completely unnecessary, it's merely convenient for Taluntain. That's not the same as necessary.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Tbf using different passwords is like drinking enough water, something you probably should do but that most people won't and the vast majority of people will go throughout life just fine that way. Of course, the codex being the place that it is, would probably warrant some form of upped personal security but then you have to ask yourself why anyone would post in such a dumpster ass forum in the first place.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Atlantico wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 15:33
which Taluntain says is simply a "feature" of XenoForo and the devs know about it and are not going to do anything about it since deleting a thousand posts "isn't the correct way to use the software".
reminder this is software that people pay to license
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

2FA is completely unnecessary, it's merely convenient for Taluntain.
Correct. This is his hobby, he's going to do whatever is more convenient for him.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Nemesis wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 14:16
Use a password manager
I don't trust password managers.

To me, it just feels like if the password manager got hacked, then I'd have an even harder time getting all my accounts back.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I've made the technology subforum publicly accessible if anyone wants to share this guide on the codex to help out those less fortunate
viewtopic.php?t=332-2fa-otp-steam-witho ... rd-manager
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Ranselknulf wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 16:49
Use a password manager

To me, it just feels like if the password manager got hacked, then I'd have an even harder time getting all my accounts back.
I use KeepassXC, the database is kept locally and the program makes no network connections.
https://keepassxc.org

The database itself is encrypted so you can back it up wherever.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Roguey wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 16:48
2FA is completely unnecessary, it's merely convenient for Taluntain.
Correct. This is his hobby, he's going to do whatever is more convenient for him.
His hobby is to own and operate a number of internet 2.0 forums. :Inspector:

Isn't he a slav from Slovakia or sth? This might be his main source of income.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 16:51
Use a password manager

I use KeepassXC, the database is kept locally and the program makes no network connections.

The KeepassXC might be worth looking into.

I currently use a local data storage system with no network connections also.

It's called a pen and notepad.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Ranselknulf wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 16:55

I have a neural mnemonic disk storage system, it comes with ocular connectors, two quarter spectrum cameras and a penis.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

madbringer wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 17:32

I have a neural mnemonic disk storage system, it comes with ocular connectors, two quarter spectrum cameras and a penis.
I've heard of that system. Apparently many of its users deem the penis to be unnecessary since it is never used, so they chop it off
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Significant overhead in the interface between analog and digital though.
jcd

Post by jcd »

2FA exists for a reason. Irrational aversion to 2FA, password managers, and other no-brainer security measures are a sign you might be technologically retarded. Remember that the Codex did not even have HTTPS for years, because they were too incompetent to implement it.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

jcd wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 18:46
2FA exists for a reason. Irrational aversion to 2FA, password managers, and other no-brainer security measures are a sign you might be technologically retarded. Remember that the Codex did not even have HTTPS for years, because they were too incompetent to implement it.
You said what?
LastPass Hacked: Password Manager With 25 Million Users Confirms Breach

One of the world's biggest password managers with 25 million users, LastPass, has confirmed that it has been hacked. In an advisory published on August 25, Karim Toubba, the LastPass CEO, said that an unauthorized party had stolen "portions of source code and some proprietary LastPass technical information."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinde ... a25c8f7d5a

Imagine trusting computer code when everything can be hacked. That kind of makes you the technologically retarded one.

:popcorn:
jcd

Post by jcd »

MadPreacher wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:02
Imagine trusting computer code when everything can be hacked. That kind of makes you the technologically retarded one.
Lastpass is a bad, proprietary implementation that has shown numerous red flags over the years, released by an untrustworthy company. Your brain is fried by the internet so you can only communicate in article snippets instead of trying to form an opinion on anything yourself. There is a reason these things are the industry standard for managing passwords for individuals and organizations alike, especially among tech businesses. Now you can keep writing down your passwords in a notebook like a stone age retard, or you can try figuring out why.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

2FA exists because lazy people needed a way to keep their old-ass password that they use everywhere on the internet
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

jcd wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:09
MadPreacher wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:02
Lastpass is a bad, proprietary implementation that has shown numerous red flags over the years, released by an untrustworthy company. Your brain is fried by the internet so you can only communicate in article snippets instead of trying to form an opinion on anything yourself. There is a reason these things are the industry standard for managing passwords for individuals and organizations alike, especially among tech businesses. Now you can keep writing down your passwords in a notebook like a stone age retard, or you can try figuring out why.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA Retard says what?

It's called secondary source documentation. It's to present proof backing my statements up. What did you present again? Oh nothing but your musings that you shat from your mouth.

Again, anything that is coded on a computer can be hacked. Everything. Prove me wrong. I dare you.
jcd

Post by jcd »

MadPreacher wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:17
Again, anything that is coded on a computer can be hacked. Everything. Prove me wrong. I dare you.
Worthless cliche that brings nothing to the discussion. No, AES-256 can't be "hacked". Zero knowledge encryption can't be "hacked". You're out of your depth here.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

jcd wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 20:37
MadPreacher wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:17
I can't even back up my statements so I have to shit out worthless drivel because I've been Trumped.
You don't say.
jcd

Post by jcd »

I see that the level of technological literacy remains as high as it was on the Codex in 2012 🙄
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I can't wait for the mods to be trannies in a few months, so they can instaban me for wrongthink.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

You'll be banned because you want to be banned.

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Atlantico wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:13
2FA exists because lazy people needed a way to keep their old-ass password that they use everywhere on the internet
Its as easy as goygle a password generator, type it into your free spreadsheet, and keep it tabbed. How tf do these people even get out of bed?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Can we just skip to the part where you get tired of having to talk to a forum filled with people who are clearly beneath you, and you leave forever?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

maidenhaver wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 21:37
Atlantico wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 19:13
Its as easy as goygle a password generator, type it into your free spreadsheet, and keep it tabbed. How tf do these people even get out of bed?
I get out of bed one leg at a time like the rest of us.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

ok, but i dont give a shit if my codex account gets hacked. 2fa is zero value add for me
jcd

Post by jcd »

Emphyrio wrote: June 4th, 2023, 04:59
ok, but i dont give a shit if my codex account gets hacked. 2fa is zero value add for me
Then don't use your account.