We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Datacenter is having fiber issues, site may load slowly.

Phantom Brigade: Simultaneous turn-based tactical mech RPG

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Phantom Brigade: Simultaneous turn-based tactical mech RPG

Post by Acrux »

Looks interesting. Lots of expected comparisons to Frozen Synapse.

What I really want is a remastered MissionForce:CyberStorm.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Anyone played it? I'm tempted to try myself, even though i dont like robotic shit or battle mechs. Gameplay looks pretty cool.

But the gaem director is wombyn... Does this game have any retarded faggotry? Also one of the reviews claims the devs promised a bunch of stuff at release and failed to deliver and are now playing dumb.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I can't get past the game looking like a bunch of plastic toys with a mobile interface. As if they asked their UI designer to give them the most uninspired looter-shooter UI that can exist.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I haven't played any mobile games to know but i guess gurl-gamers love their mobile shit. Interface looks bland yeah.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I spent several hours researching this game on Wednesday.

1) I'm pretty sure the lead dev is a tranny. They sure have a lot of rainbow people at Brace Yourself Games. And frankly, I'm tired of giving money to people who hate me.
2) Performance is really bad, much worse than a game like this should be. Even people who are above the recommended specs - which look ridiculous for a game like this - are getting low frame rates,
3) They cut out a lot of things they promised, like pilot progression. The lead dev said that the team would reconsider these items if they get "unanimous" feedback from players.
4) The game is apparently extremely bland storywise, with enemies literally called "the enemy" no reference to your own units by name, etc. There's no wokeness in the story itself (yet).
5) Lots of feedback says the game ends up playing more like you are using video editing software than a strategy RPG. And the UX hasn't even accounted for things like the player changing his mind about actions. If you decide to add or change an action while planning the turn, you have to completely scrap what you've setup and restart laying out the turn.

I've lost all interest.

MissionForce:CyberStorm remains the best mech game and with a patch it even works great on modern systems!
Last edited by Acrux on March 3rd, 2023, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

Acrux wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 17:30
MissionForce:CyberStorm remains the best mech game and with a patch it even works great on modern systems!
Good recommendation. I'll also note that Megamek exists (free and open source, VERY comprehensive and feature-rich clone of the Battletech tabletop mech game, and can be run as an RPG with MekHQ).
Last edited by aeternalis on March 3rd, 2023, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

Acrux wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 17:30
1) I'm pretty sure the lead dev is a tranny. They sure have a lot of rainbow people at Brace Yourself Games. And frankly, I'm tired of giving money to people who hate me.
Golems just like repeating the same tranny shit since the predominance of them are social skinwalkers repeating perceived protective social norms (that changes when they snap and suddenly cut off their dicks though).
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

This game looks much more promising as a tactical, turn-based mech strategy game. Then again, the devs not being all that clear just how much of the game is going to be procedurally generated, and taking place in the 1970s (so danger of having to play on the side of the Marxists) are red flags, but at least they nailed the art direction.
cpmartins

Post by cpmartins »

gerey wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 20:44

This game looks much more promising as a tactical, turn-based mech strategy game. Then again, the devs not being all that clear just how much of the game is going to be procedurally generated, and taking place in the 1970s (so danger of having to play on the side of the Marxists) are red flags, but at least they nailed the art direction.
I don't mind if both sides are playable. Like Silent Storm, if the campaigns are well made it's more for the same price.

About Phantom Brigade though, I've seen a few videos and the tactical layer seems cool. It is quite like a video editor but you can interfere with your actors. And if the devs are indeed a bunch of cunts, just pirate it. Plenty of places you could get the game.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I've had Kriegsfront on my radar for a while. This is the first gameplay I've seen:

I wish it showed mech/pilot customization, but the tactical battle looks pretty solid.

Okay, I just saw their roadmap, and their first demo won't be available until 2025! :roll:
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Alas, no love for a formula like Cyberstorm's. I doubt there's much of a market.