Furigana/Ruby BBCode Implementation

Got a complaint or a suggestion? Also used for general information about the site.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Furigana/Ruby BBCode Implementation

Post by WhiteShark »

Furigana and ruby are the Japanese terms for annotations placed above words in a text to show their reading. I think it would be a neat feature for the HQ. While investigating whether it was already a feature of phpBB, I stumbled upon this post suggesting the details of a BBCode implementation. @rusty_shackleford, does it seem doable?
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

I've noticed people can't pronounce words anymore so this is probably needed unfortunately.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Quick question before I investigate further: Isn't this something that can be accomplished using unicode?
[edit]
chatgpt says no
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 19th, 2024, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@WhiteShark What do you think about:
[ruby={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/ruby]
which maps to:
<ruby>{TEXT1} <rt>{TEXT2}</rt></ruby>

?
I've never used the <ruby> element so I have no idea if this is enough to get what you want.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@rusty_shackleford, I think it were more intuitive to swap TEXT1 and TEXT2. To me it makes more sense to have the ruby=ANNOTATION correspond to the annotation that appears above, and the text in between the tags correspond to the normal text. I messed around in an html file to test <ruby> and <rt> and I think that mapping looks fine otherwise.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:18
@rusty_shackleford, I think it were more intuitive to swap TEXT1 and TEXT2. To me it makes more sense to have the ruby=ANNOTATION correspond to the annotation that appears above, and the text in between the tags correspond to the normal text. I messed around in an html file to test <ruby> and <rt> and I think that mapping looks fine otherwise.
test above

Does this work for you?
What above the words above(<rt> part), do I need to make that bigger?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@rusty_shackleford, it works.

金峰山 キンポウザン

I think the proportion is right. It's very small, but that's a function of the default text size being very small. I use the HQ zoomed in a bit anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:38
@rusty_shackleford, it works.

金峰山 キンポウザン

I think the proportion is right. It's very small, but that's a function of the default text size being very small. I use the HQ zoomed in a bit anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
I'm glad I could help you write boxes above boxes :heart:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I sure hope this addition won't be abused for nefarious purposes It's going to be abused so hard..
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:40
I sure hope this addition won't will be abused for nefarious purposes.
Do you agree with me about the mapping of TEXT1 and TEXT2? I'm having second thoughts. It makes more sense to me the way I suggested when looking at it after the fact, but when in the process of writing, the original ordering may be better because it puts the main text first.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:44
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:40
I sure hope this addition won't will be abused for nefarious purposes.
Do you agree with me about the mapping of TEXT1 and TEXT2? I'm having second thoughts. It makes more sense to me the way I suggested when looking at it after the fact, but when in the process of writing, the original ordering may be better because it puts the main text first.
I write the text first, select it, then press the button to wrap it in the bbcode. So, it seems fine to me.