We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Describe your dream RPG

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

Metalhead33 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 13:04
The first thing that comes to my mind is "a medieval life simulator, like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, but more modern".

Otherwise, for me, it would be the lovechild of The Elder Scrolls and more oldschool-style CRPGs (Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 2-3, Dragon Age, etc.), in the sense that it would be a first-person action-RPG, but with a much greater emphasis on companions and interactions with companions (including companion banter, companion approval ratings, romance, etc.), with (sources of) hostile encounters being deliberately structured in a way that makes going solo highly discouraged, if not downright suicidal, especially at lower levels. Of course, with the game being from a first-person perspective (switchable between third-person, like in TES), it would mean the AI-controlled companions would need a really robust AI. Main protagonist would be fully customizeable. Also, maybe survival (hunger & thirst) mechanics too?

Oh shit, I'm basically describing Mount & Blade with a plot, am I not?

TL;DR: Skyrim meets Baldur's Gate 2-3, or Skyrim meets Dragon Age:Origins.
^ This is about game mechanics, obviously.

Narrative-wise / setting-wise, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Might & Magic-style science fantasy, where you begin the game as a Human/Elf/Orc/Goblin/Dwarf/Gnome Fighter/Mage/Cleric/Paladin/Thief/whatever armed with a sword and fighting against goblins... only to end the game armed with a blaster, fighting against robots and cyborg wizards.

aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:27
WhiteShark wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:11
Real Time with Pause, the combat system used in games like BG2.
Infinity Engine RTwP is akshually round-based combat with real time movement.
RTwP is Dragon Age Origins.
For what it's worth I really like the RTwP implementation in the Pillars games. Yes, the actual classes and abilities leave something to be desired, especially when paired with the attribute system they combine together to produce something bland because Sawyer wanted everything to be """viable"""... BUT the actual RTwP combat itself, mechanically, was actually really enjoyable to me.

Also enjoyed DAO a lot too when I played it recently. In fact, pillars and DAO were what made me realize I actually like RTwP. Like many things the codex was wrong about, seems to me that RTwP gets more hate than it deserves.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Metalhead33 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:42
Metalhead33 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 13:04
The first thing that comes to my mind is "a medieval life simulator, like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, but more modern".

Otherwise, for me, it would be the lovechild of The Elder Scrolls and more oldschool-style CRPGs (Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 2-3, Dragon Age, etc.), in the sense that it would be a first-person action-RPG, but with a much greater emphasis on companions and interactions with companions (including companion banter, companion approval ratings, romance, etc.), with (sources of) hostile encounters being deliberately structured in a way that makes going solo highly discouraged, if not downright suicidal, especially at lower levels. Of course, with the game being from a first-person perspective (switchable between third-person, like in TES), it would mean the AI-controlled companions would need a really robust AI. Main protagonist would be fully customizeable. Also, maybe survival (hunger & thirst) mechanics too?

Oh shit, I'm basically describing Mount & Blade with a plot, am I not?

TL;DR: Skyrim meets Baldur's Gate 2-3, or Skyrim meets Dragon Age:Origins.
^ This is about game mechanics, obviously.

Narrative-wise / setting-wise, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Might & Magic-style science fantasy, where you begin the game as a Human/Elf/Orc/Goblin/Dwarf/Gnome Fighter/Mage/Cleric/Paladin/Thief/whatever armed with a sword and fighting against goblins... only to end the game armed with a blaster, fighting against robots and cyborg wizards.

Maybe a silly question but have you played Kingdom Come: Deliverance?
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

aweigh wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:45
No, but I heard a lot about it. My nation happens to be represented in it.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I like my magic and technology to be more intertwined, like Spelljammer or Tales of Symphonia (though I did enjoy World of Xeen).
aweigh wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:44
Also enjoyed DAO a lot too when I played it recently. In fact, pillars and DAO were what made me realize I actually like RTwP. Like many things the codex was wrong about, seems to me that RTwP gets more hate than it deserves.
I think it works much better in games like the ones you mentioned where it really is real time and not round-based, as Rusty was saying. Cudgeling a turn-based system into pseudo realtime produces an ugly result.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 16th, 2024, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Metalhead33 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:46
cool another turk
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I think you'll enjoy it a lot. Only thing it lacks is the robust companion system and I imagine it was due to technical limitations. Or what do I know, maybe they just didn't want companions. I'm not saying it fulfills all of your criteria or anything but your post reminded me of KCD. KCD has so much great design stuff, too much to go into detail about right now, or rather I need to leave soon and don't wanna start a longpost.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

WhiteShark wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:47
I like my magic and technology to be more intertwined, like Spelljammer or Tales of Symphonia (though I did enjoy World of Xeen).
aweigh wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:44
I think it works much better in games like the ones you mentioned where it really is real time and not round-based, as Rusty was saying. Cudgeling a turn-based system into pseudo realtime produces an ugly result.
What's Pathfinder Kingmaker considered? round-based too since it's from a pnp? (I didn't like Kingmaker much).
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

Emphyrio wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:47
cool another turk
I'm Hungarian.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Metalhead33 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:54
Emphyrio wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:47

cool another turk
I'm Hungarian.
If I was Hungarian, I'd introduce myself as Hung Aryan.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

maidenhaver wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:57
If I was Hungarian, I'd introduce myself as Hung Aryan.
I actually used to go by that nickname on some forums back in the day :smug:
Last edited by Metalhead33 on March 16th, 2024, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

aweigh wrote: March 16th, 2024, 16:51
What's Pathfinder Kingmaker considered? round-based too since it's from a pnp? (I didn't like Kingmaker much).
I assume so, but I don't know for sure because I played it with the turn-based mod.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

There are two games that stick forever stick in my mind as great candidates for being fleshed out and refined. They both happen to be from Interplay:

Dragon Wars
I don't think it needs much. Really a modern remaster like The Bard's Tale Triology would be enough, I think.

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. 1
All this really needs is a refinement to the skill system and better tactical battle map. And finish the story.

Careful - all the various entities required for this to happen are now under the same umbrella...but you might not like the result.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

Acrux wrote: March 16th, 2024, 17:10
Careful - all the various entities required for this to happen are now under the same umbrella...but you might not like the result.
Given how much of a woke mess Baldur's Gate 3 turned into, especially at Act 3 (tho, it's still a great game, especially with the No Alphabets mod)... I dare not to imagine what they would do with a hypothetical Arcanum 2.
The whole subplot around (((gnomes))) and their evil deeds (such as the creation of the half-ogres) would be the first thing to go out of the window. Then they'd go ahead and completely disregard 19th century Victorian ethnics and just add modern rainbow-friendly nonsense instead. Orc labourers? Nah, too racist for 2024, unless you are given an opportunity to kill their masters in front of their families.

A Steampunk world would just give ESG-driven, Sweet Baby Inc-consulted devs too much opportunity to virtue signal.
Last edited by Metalhead33 on March 16th, 2024, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Oh you must mean like this

Element

Post by Element »

Acrux wrote: March 16th, 2024, 17:10
Wouldn't want anyone from the original dev team to be on it tbh. They're done.
But a spiritual successor/sequel would be nice.
Last edited by Element on March 16th, 2024, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.