We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Hogwarts Legacy — That RPG that's really upsetting people who liked Harry Potter

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 7th, 2023, 15:48
Good example of how RPGs have lost touch with their adventure gaming side, this would have been a great time to showcase adventure elements.
I can't tell if I'm out of touch and a niche demographic.. or if game devs are all hacks who can only copy the 'latest thing' until we are all so apathetic we don't even give a pity buy.

Do games need giant epic storylines?
---
viata

Post by viata »

Shillitron wrote: February 7th, 2023, 16:00
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 7th, 2023, 15:48
Good example of how RPGs have lost touch with their adventure gaming side, this would have been a great time to showcase adventure elements.
if game devs are all hacks who can only copy the 'latest thing' until we are all so apathetic we don't even give a pity buy.
I don't even know if many modern devs know how to make games.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Devs are given a list of things that must be included in every game they make, regardless of the game they're making. Whether these things are appropriate for the specific game is irrelevant to them.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Dead wrote: February 7th, 2023, 16:33
Devs are given a list of things that must be included in every game they make, regardless of the game they're making. Whether these things are appropriate for the specific game is irrelevant to them.
As we've seen with leaks coming out of Ubishit - a lot of this is outside the developers hands.
You've essentially got some retarded CEO turning every game into his little fiefdom and dictating what he wants.

Then after he's done destroying any semblance of uniqueness or fun - the congo line of marketers and bean counters come in to dress it up in DLC / Microtransactions / Console Exclusivity Deals / etc..

Not to excuse Developers since their primary goal seems to be inserting political messaging.

Really when it all adds up. It's a trifecta of failure.
Nobody in this process has the consumer's enjoyment as their primary goal.
---
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I had to look up the actress for the generic female voice, and she's pretty cute:

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Amelia-Gething/

She's got no other titles she's worked on, so far.
Just like Yves, I chase tales
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

wndrbr wrote: February 7th, 2023, 13:57
viata wrote: February 7th, 2023, 10:02
This games seems so generic.
It's supposed to take place in 1890s, yet if it was said it takes place in current year, nothing would change.
this. Wouldn't it be fun if we were able to see a stricter, hardcore Hogwarts? Just like how strict and tyranical boarding schools were in the past.

Imagine this, but with magic.
How about with demons?
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I'm watching streams in the background right now, while I'm at work. First impressions are good. They tried to make magic battles and sneaking just like you saw them in the movies/described in the books.

For a mediocre, please-all AAA title, it could've been worse.
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

I can't think of anything gayer than buying a full-priced AAA game to think you are sticking it to transsexuals when you could instead just go outside and beat the shit out of one and do the six months of community service.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

GothGirlSupremacy wrote: February 7th, 2023, 22:31
I can't think of anything gayer than buying a full-priced AAA game to think you are sticking it to transsexuals when you could instead just go outside and beat the shit out of one and do the six months of community service.
hahahahahahahahahaha
GhostCow
Turtle
Turtle

Post by GhostCow »

If you are GGS, I hope you are planning to share some of those cute goth girls with me
☆HQ Defense Force☆
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

GhostCow wrote: February 7th, 2023, 22:45
If you are GGS, I hope you are planning to share some of those cute goth girls with me
Only post-rape ones.

Also specify which GGS you mean. Do you mean the original GGS, the GGS-800, Violent GGS, Shin GGS, Ted Dibiase's GGS?
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I did buy multiple copies of KCD when it launched to support Dan Vavra when the woke mob went after him and his studio, even though I honestly didn't like the game very much. But that situation is a lot different than this one. Emphasis on historical accuracy without token niggers being add into his game was a 100% solidly legit position, whereas the mob is going after this game because woke bitch JK Rowling disagreed with them on 1 thing, and this game was caught up in the flack. EA and WB can get fucked.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The real thing about this game is that, so far, it seems to be more of an... action-adventure. The RPG elements in it are so lite, they might as well be none.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

somerandomdude wrote: February 8th, 2023, 01:45
I did buy multiple copies of KCD when it launched to support Dan Vavra when the woke mob went after him and his studio, even though I honestly didn't like the game very much. But that situation is a lot different than this one. Emphasis on historical accuracy without token niggers being add into his game was a 100% solidly legit position, whereas the mob is going after this game because woke bitch JK Rowling disagreed with them on 1 thing, and this game was caught up in the flack. EA and WB can get fucked.
KCD has slowly gained a cult following. Its a really good game, but its not what it was pitched as, so a lot of people were disappointed back then. Id advice playing it without expectations, you will have a great time.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

GothGirlSupremacy wrote: February 7th, 2023, 22:54

Also specify which GGS you mean.
The one that had drip.
Ravenloft

Post by Ravenloft »

Can't wait to play as a pureblood Slytherin who wants to crush all mudbloods and non-human creatures under his boot. It's the nineteenth century, so surely they'll let us play according to the dominant viewpoint of that time? Right?
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Ravenloft wrote: February 8th, 2023, 02:29
Can't wait to play as a pureblood Slytherin who wants to crush all mudbloods and non-human creatures under his boot. It's the nineteenth century, so surely they'll let us play according to the dominant viewpoint of that time? Right?
So far, from all the streams I've seen, most creatures that you fight are monsters. Not a lot of humans. And you can't attack your classmates, or any other peers. The game doesn't seem to be aimed at adults or little children. It seems to be aimed at the 14 to 18 demographic.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Lhynn wrote: February 8th, 2023, 01:57
KCD has slowly gained a cult following. Its a really good game, but its not what it was pitched as, so a lot of people were disappointed back then. Id advice playing it without expectations, you will have a great time.
When I played KCD (near launch), it was horribly optimized to the point where it was basically unplayable, like low 20s in towns walking around. It was one of the worst optimized games I've played in years. Have these issues been addressed? I also found the combat to be comical at best. For a combat system that was allegedly based on realism, I had guys with 5 arrows in their face still coming at me as if they were completely unimpaired. I might have given it more of a chance if it didn't run so poorly.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

I can confirm that you can not cast spells on students.
This game is basically "explore a dead open world to find collectables" mixed with "on the rails story".

My expectations were near-zero and I was still disappointed.

The saddest part.. it's still the best game to release in the last year..
---
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Shillitron wrote: February 8th, 2023, 03:04
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo was released a few days ago. It looks good.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Dead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 03:16
Is it a HoMM clone or...?
---
GhostCow
Turtle
Turtle

Post by GhostCow »

I can confirm that you can not cast spells on students.
This game is basically "explore a dead open world to find collectables" mixed with "on the rails story".

My expectations were near-zero and I was still disappointed.

Marvel's Midnight Suns is definitely better than the game you just described. So is Sonic Frontiers and probably a bunch of other things if I thought hard enough about it.
☆HQ Defense Force☆
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Shillitron wrote: February 8th, 2023, 03:25
Dead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 03:16

Is it a HoMM clone or...?
It looks like HoMM + MoM with more RPG elements.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Roguey wrote: February 6th, 2023, 13:40
GhostCow wrote: February 4th, 2023, 15:31
Didn't even have to click the video to see a nigger *sigh*
Good news, it has canon tranners too https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/934 ... irona-ryan

Edit: :lol: The voice
LOL everything in this scene looks like a joke... the cringy zoomer wizard with fake tan aka the error of character creation, the weirdo niggnog that sounds like the boy-chick you feud with in fable 1 and then the obvious tranny inclusion no matter the reason behind it. I guess for some grifters this is probably a based game.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Why wouldn't the bartender make his voice higher pitched with magic? Makes no sense
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Dead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:42
Why wouldn't the bartender make his voice higher pitched with magic? Makes no sense
Same reason he didn't just magic himself a vagina, it's clownworld logic. Like putting a transgender person in a game with magic that allows you to swap your sex.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

7 years ago people were asking the same question about tranny from Siege of Dragonspear. Like, why didnt that retarded tranny used the magic or some item of gender swap or asked some wizard to trannify her or whatever?

Because they have an agenda to push down your throat. Thats why.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

That would be admitting that certain basic criteria have to be met in order for someone to be considered a woman, which would break the narrative. If he gave himself a high pitched voice in order to be more like a woman that would mean that a high pitched voice is something that a women are expected to have, and you are more like a woman if you have one, but of course certain sexes can't be expected to have certain traits because that is retrograde bigoted thinking. He doesn't give himself a more feminine voice because a woman obviously doesn't need a feminine voice. A woman can sound like a gruff man, and also have a beard, and a penis.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

agentorange wrote: February 8th, 2023, 09:12
That would be admitting that certain basic criteria have to be met in order for someone to be considered a woman, which would break the narrative. If he gave himself a high pitched voice in order to be more like a woman that would mean that a high pitched voice is something that a women are expected to have, and you are more like a woman if you have one, but of course certain sexes can't be expected to have certain traits because that is retrograde bigoted thinking. He doesn't give himself a more feminine voice because a woman obviously doesn't need a feminine voice. A woman can sound like a gruff man, and also have a beard, and a penis.
That would be their argument, but real life transgender people tend to reinforce gender norms (skirts, long hair, makeup, speech patterns) much more aggressively than actual women. I understand why the devs included this character, but this undermines the game's internal consistency, which should concern HP fans.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

They don't want to be women. They want to be freaks and get attention. If they truly, genuinely wanted to be women they'd
  • Not attempt to transition if their bones and height aren't suitable for it
  • Never ever talk about trans issues because they consider themselves women in anything but biology
  • Resent all these disgusting transgender freaks for making them look bad