We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What RPG has the most replayability?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Anon wrote: March 17th, 2024, 23:33
@WhiteShark now that you mention it, your username is rather familiar, I guess I remember seeing you playing around sometimes. Were you a ##crawl user?
The IRC? I think I got on once to suggest that Formicids should be able to wield a shield while using Blade Hands, but otherwise, no. I used to play online a lot, usually while hanging out with my friends
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Btw DCSS devs are huge troons and have precedent of banning chuds for expressing their opinion from tournaments etc, so I think exposing our usernames here put our accounts at potential risk, and I've invested far too many hours for that lol.
That's a good point. I edited my post.
Hidden Content
I also think we could make a good DCSS team for future tournaments, if more people were up to it.
That could be fun, but I'd have to be in the mood. I've started a few games sporadically over the last couple years but couldn't get myself to stick with it.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 17th, 2024, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 17th, 2024, 23:51
Worth trying out nowadays?
Yes. All the old versions are still available so if you don't like the current patch you can just switch to a different one. I know I've talked about preferred versions somewhere before, but I can't find my posts about it. You could just try the latest version and see if you like it.
Anon

Post by Anon »

WhiteShark wrote: March 17th, 2024, 23:54
@WhiteShark now that you mention it, your username is rather familiar, I guess I remember seeing you playing around sometimes. Were you a ##crawl user?
The IRC? I think I got on once to suggest that Formicids should be able to wield a shield while using Blade Hands, but otherwise, no. I used to play online a lot, usually while hanging out with my friends
Hidden Content
Btw DCSS devs are huge troons and have precedent of banning chuds for expressing their opinion from tournaments etc, so I think exposing our usernames here put our accounts at potential risk, and I've invested far too many hours for that lol.
That's a good point. I edited my post.
Hidden Content
I also think we could make a good DCSS team for future tournaments, if more people were up to it.
That could be fun, but I'd have to be in the mood. I've started a few games sporadically over the last couple years but couldn't get myself to stick with it.
I don't remember these fellas

Yeah I'm also kinda burned out from dcss, but I think having a chud clan playing DCSS (and if possible in a good ranking) in alts flexing the RPGHQ name would be fun.
Last edited by Anon on March 18th, 2024, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Kalarion wrote: March 17th, 2024, 23:19
Battle Brothers.
I can't think of another indie game I've gone back to replay more times than Battle Brothers. The game doesn't overstay its welcome, or leave a bad aftertaste, so the door always remains open for me to go back to it.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2. I have done four playthroughs of each game. There are a lot of different aspects to the combat system you can take advantage of when character building. I've tried doing builds focused around delaying the enemy and maximizing turns, strategies based around inflicting status conditions, strats based around dodge/parry counterattacks, strategies around exploiting elemental weakness, etc. There is some finesse required when deciding which crafts to use. "Do I try to interrupt this guy before his cast goes off, or do I use this high crit rate craft to try to proc a link attack and then spend that link point on a team attack to get this other character's CP over 100 points and then pop his S-craft and try to kill the enemy first?" It's pretty fun on nightmare difficulty. The sequels add more layers to the combat but sadly they weren't as difficult except for the final story battles.

Trails in the Sky FC and SC. Sadly the combat system is nowhere near as refined as the Trails of Cold Steel games which came later. Physical based characters suck as most of their damage comes from crafts, but you gain CP (craft points) at such an abysmally slow rate compared to the CS games, and the crafts have such small and narrow AoEs. Meanwhile, mages can just spam huge AoE high damage arts like Aerial/Death Scream/White Gehenna over and over until the run out of EP, and then you just use an EP charge and keep doing it.

Pokemon Sapphire. I must have replayed it 3 or 4 times.

Aselia the Spirit of Eternity Sword. Played it twice. Game is very tough but unfortunately there is very little in the way of meaningful customization. You can't change characters' classes (A Blue Spirit is forever a Blue Spirit) and you're only choices are which of their three abilities to replace if you choose to learn a new one. The game is very difficult there is almost always an obvious correct choice. Blue Spirits should always have the highest level single or double hit ability and Ice Banisher spell possible. Red Spirits should always have the highest level AoE spell possible. Green Spirits should have the highest level AoE and single target heals possible. Black Spirits are in a weird position where they are ostensibly jacks of all trades but since they have high HP and you're short 1 green spirit you just wind up using them as tanks.

Valkyria Chronicles 1. I've played that twice. Really good mission design.

The Banner Saga trilogy. I've replayed through it twice.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Minecraft lmao

Okay, theoretically speaking, what is the reason for replaying a game ? Is it for exploration due to a well-crafted and immersive world, for skill mastery and therefore due to a game's strategic depth or is the story just that good to experience again if it allows to, to name a few. Without mods adding replayability on top.

Personally, when GoG shows HoMM V as RPG lol, it has to be HoMM 3 with Horn of the Abyss. "Randomized" maps based on different templates, insane strategic depth. Not sure if it counts as an answer. It does have RPG-elements.
Else, it is Dragon Age: Origins, for the past decade or so. Good, mature story minus the gay elf. Decent game-play. Lots of mods.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Kowe wrote: March 18th, 2024, 01:43
Okay, theoretically speaking, what is the reason for replaying a game ?
Typically for me it's because that game offers an experience that I enjoy and/or cannot get from somewhere else. A lot of games give a massive number of alternate paths or story choices but honestly I've rarely went back and replayed a game just to see what the alternate (often minor inconsequential flavor differences) options were. Like I said earlier most RPGs I end up replaying I do almost 1:1 identical playthroughs because I enjoyed that particular game and that story. For me being a Sith Lord in KOTOR II is fun and there's not that many Star Wars RPGs let alone games that give me that same sort of feel. Likewise I've played New Vegas numerous times and I never side with the NCR.