Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Baldur's Gate 3

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

TKVNC wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:27
orinEsque wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:19
That was announced and added much later
The faces or Aylin? Either way, I wonder if it was Larian's doing, or if they were forced by Trannies of the Coast.
The ccreator troonism. At least.
Did I make your game better? Consider a donation: PayPal. Subscribe to my mod updates on SUBSCRIBESTAR
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

orinEsque wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:29
That makes sense, it still has gender selection, which I would expect would enrage most troons and their dogsbodies, which makes me think it was intentionally fagged up at the end.

*Typo
Last edited by TKVNC on March 22nd, 2024, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

The faces or Aylin? Either way, I wonder if it was Larian's doing, or if they were forced by Trannies of the Coast.
I still don't think Larian is completely innocent here. I do think there was influence, but seeing as how this sort of stuff was allowed in previous games (more subtle), It is possible that they may have not seen the need to be subtle anymore due to the name backing they had. Just a thought.

Though I can not see how any true business person, especially one who has put their lifeblood into a company would willingly destroy it for the sake of virtual signaling. Maybe Swen, is looking to cash out and sell his company? That would make more sense, BG3 was very successful and it would look good on paper for now, but we know that later games they make are going to be targeted for scrutiny and I predict that if they continue along the same path, their next project will likely have some serious sales issues as a lot of people feel like they got the bait and switch after the changes from EA.

I know for me personally, Larian has already placed itself into the "Woke Developer" category and barring any drastic change in their next work, I will never give them another penny.
Last edited by Xenich on March 22nd, 2024, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

TKVNC wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:31
orinEsque wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:29
That makes sense, it still has gender selection, which I would expect would enrage most troons and their dogsbodies, which makes me think it was intentionally fagged up at the end.

*Typo
Code is 100% gendered. That Troonism was added later. They even have empty language files for gendered speech.
Last edited by orinEsque on March 22nd, 2024, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Did I make your game better? Consider a donation: PayPal. Subscribe to my mod updates on SUBSCRIBESTAR
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I bet owlcat are already rubbing their palms hoping to get their hands on BG4 license. You thought wotr was woke? You ain't seen nothing yet!
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Xenich wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:35
I know for me personally, Larian has already placed itself into the "Woke Developer" category and barring any drastic change in their next work, I will never give them another penny.
Seems to be the case. Unless it is revealed that they were literally held at gunpoint (metaphorically, we're talking financial here) in order to put it in game, your conclusion is the only valid take-away.

What a shame.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

If you've read Swen's blog you'd see a reason to believe he did a lot of things he didn't agree with in BG3 which is why he wants to wash his hands. Especially comments he made with regards to Dragon Commander, e.g., he pushed back on his own employees wanting to censor offensive topics.

Seemed rather libertarian in his views to me.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 22nd, 2024, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I wish a very long life for Swen, because Larian will be doomed after he goes away.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Boontaker wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 08:38
Either they got an insanely lucrative offer for another project, or Hasbro decided to go full jew on them in the contract offer.
This is my feeling.. Something must of broken down in contract talks.. or Swen is sick of having his hand shackled by Forgotten Realms / DnD and wants to do random Swen shit again in his own setting.

D:OS3 will likely have a lot more people preordering it.. so either way Larian wins.
---
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Anon wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:53
I wish a very long life for Swen, because Larian will be doomed after he goes away.
They will rip of to pieces as they did with Disney
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

I remember the nignog hairstyles getting added later in response to complaints about 'whiteness', and I think more nog faces were added along with them, and, on release, they were also put in the forefront of CC when you select human.
I don't recall it being noticeably overbearing in early access, but I remember there not being many options, and half-elf still had the best looking heads.
Even the earliest RPG games I played had some options for making black characters, which makes sense from a business perspective.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:57
I remember the nignog hairstyles getting added later in response to complaints about 'whiteness', and I think more nog faces were added along with them, and, on release, they were also put in the forefront of CC when you select human.
I don't recall it being noticeably overbearing in early access, but I remember there not being many options, and half-elf still had the best looking heads.
Even the earliest RPG games I played had some options for making black characters, which makes sense from a business perspective.
I will take that Half elf head 5 with some sugar and plenty of caffeine.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:49
If you've read Swen's blog you'd see a reason to believe he did a lot of things he didn't agree with in BG3 which is why he wants to wash his hands. Especially comments he made with regards to Dragon Commander, e.g., he pushed back on his own employees wanting to censor offensive topics.

Seemed rather libertarian in his views to me.

That may be, but none the less, if the work continues as it is, it really doesn't matter if his intentions were good, the road to hell is paved with them.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

DagothGeas5 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 13:48
AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 13:23
DagothGeas5 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 09:52
According to this
► Show Spoiler
Swen seems pissed about greed. The comments talk about something to do with Hasbro wanting more pieces of the pie or something, I am very out of the loop so I cannot say, but I do hope Swen is just saying "fuck this woke shit I am out". He seemed like a normal dude on the livestreams, the most recent one (the bear sex one) he seemed off. He spoke of choices and reactivity to your race even as you enter the city that, though, are not in the game. I truly hope it is a good sign and not just something else :(

Also

Abso-fucking-lutely.
My main, and for now only, serious time I tried playing this game I only had Gale and Astarion in my team during Early Access and it felt like a true fantasy team, at least with the choices I made. Gale especially was the voice of reason and the typical wizard ("don't use the brain powers"/"we should be careful" and all the rest, which is removed in the full game, leaving only sparse lines that address things that are no longer there). After seeing the pronouns idiocy I did a trial-run, and the first thing I noticed is how they seemed to remove everything "problematic" from Astarion's character after getting to Act 2, he becomes much more demure, and every jab feels less than it could have been. When I saw how the developers seemed to try and sexualize him at every oportunity, the pants especially when I saw them thanks to CheesusCrust, it honestly made me mad. No respect for the characters, like a group of children.

Yeah I think it's problematic how they sexualize someone who has a long history with experiencing sexual abuse and trauma. Even though Astarion is not real, it makes me uncomfortable to think that people see him as an object. When I romanced him, I treated him and his boundaries with respect. You can experience a very wholesome romance with him.
I like that you are willing to engage, and love to see more perspectives to learn more, but, probably because of the sheer amount I had the displeasure to be exposed to, I'd rather never have to read or hear about something being "problematic" and words like "boundaries" or something taken very seriously when speaking of video games. I am sorry, I just cringed out of my own skin reading some of that XD
Nah, it's fine. It's just when a game or other media shows that men can experience sexual abuse as well and does it in a good, productive way, I hate when it gets sexualized. But that's just my personal opinion. But no need to apologize lol.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:13
I remember finding those infernal coins and thinking "sweet, I'll be able to buy some great stuff when I get to Hell" and then it was just some Karlach shit I never touched.
Karlach is such a sweet cinnamon roll tho. She's one of the reasons why I bought the game after seeing clips of her lol.
jebacdrkac

Post by jebacdrkac »

Anon wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 13:40
At least BG3 will get a lot of mileage for some 10+ years from the modding scene.
You think they will actually release modding tools which would turn BG3 into Skyrim's hivemind?unfortunately what we currently have is probably going to be all we are going to get (reskins, interface etc) when it comes to the type of mods people can make, for example "persuade emperor to side with orpheus" mod which would have cutscenes and shit like that will never be possible let alone a whole dlc/quest mods like Skyrim ones
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

wndrbr wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:42
I bet owlcat are already rubbing their palms hoping to get their hands on BG4 license. You thought wotr was woke? You ain't seen nothing yet!
Hmm yeah, at least in BG3 you can play as fully straight character and head canon your companions as straights as well, I think.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Well it also makes sense for black players who want to play as a black character lol. Also it makes sense that black people exist in the world too.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 15:57
Well it also makes sense for black players who want to play as a black character lol. Also it makes sense that black people exist in the world too.
Only if you want to believe that niggers can naturally appear in a facsimile of Western Europe, when we know that is not how the real world worked. The sheer quantity of niggers was unrealistic, one or two, I think I would not be too shocked, ugly as they are, but every other person you see? Worse still is the Tieflings, who are not only ridiculous (though that's another very different topic) even they had nigger faces. Big old lips, and shotgun nostrils. Completely bananas.
AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 15:54
Hmm yeah, at least in BG3 you can play as fully straight character and head canon your companions as straights as well, I think.
You're however, forced to play a fully cuck voyeur character in the game, no matter what you do, unless you brutally murder Halsin (which is probably a good idea since he's an actual freak).
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Depends on lore, world, era, setting, location, etc...

This is the issue with today's politics, the need to give a "black" option for a character that would not exist under those circumstances. Adding the option is more of an external attending. It would be like creating the option to choose dwarf in a setting where there were no dwarfs simply because the individual playing the game likes dwarfs (or identifies as one) and so this character is then added out of place and with no means to remedy their existence within the games world simply because the player wants it. Just using "They exist" is not a logical argument to the need to allow for them within the setting.
Last edited by Xenich on March 22nd, 2024, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

:yuck: Get the fuck away from me.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

ArcaneLurker wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:07
Outside of the political influences for such a decision, I view it in the same vein as wanting to play a dwarf magic user, and completely ignore all of the rules, lore, and game world dynamics. It is contrary to the concept of the game and more interested in just fantasizing about ones individual concepts of play (ie one of the distinctions between AD&D and that of D&D). I think this non-conformity to logical systems and worlds creates a lot of these issues, which is why I then begin to question, are people interested in a game, or simply playing make believe acting sessions?

This of course doesn't take into consideration those who have attempted to play a Dwarf in such a manner according to all of the lore and restrictions and do so for that express role play purpose (had a guy play one like this once and the entire point was that he wanted to be something he could not, but refused to accept this reality. Lets just say it was an interesting play approach and it made for some ridiculous encounters that were quite amusing).
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Xenich wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:15
This of course doesn't take into consideration those who have attempted to play a Dwarf in such a manner according to all of the lore and restrictions and do so for that express role play purpose (had a guy play one like this once and the entire point was that he wanted to be something he could not, but refused to accept this reality. Lets just say it was an interesting play approach and it made for some ridiculous encounters that were quite amusing).
It would be like someone painting their face black and speaking only in ebonics while being actually white. Might be entertaining, and it's a damnsight better than having actual niggers there.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

TKVNC wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:03
Only if you want to believe that niggers can naturally appear in a facsimile of Western Europe, when we know that is not how the real world worked. The sheer quantity of niggers was unrealistic, one or two, I think I would not be too shocked, ugly as they are, but every other person you see? Worse still is the Tieflings, who are not only ridiculous (though that's another very different topic) even they had nigger faces. Big old lips, and shotgun nostrils. Completely bananas.
You're however, forced to play a fully cuck voyeur character in the game, no matter what you do, unless you brutally murder Halsin (which is probably a good idea since he's an actual freak).
Halsin doesn't force people to in polyamory? I declined in one play through and he never brought it up again. Maybe it's a bug?
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

TKVNC wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:03
Yeah, but it could be due to immigration/adventurers from different places too? Also, BG3 isn't placed in Western Europe.
Scruffins

Post by Scruffins »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 15:48
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:13
I remember finding those infernal coins and thinking "sweet, I'll be able to buy some great stuff when I get to Hell" and then it was just some Karlach shit I never touched.
Karlach is such a sweet cinnamon roll tho. She's one of the reasons why I bought the game after seeing clips of her lol.
I find her insufferable. It's like dragging around a hormonal terminally ill ADHD cancer patient with the maturity of a 12 year old. It's also annoying that she says "fuck" every other sentence, and that stupid ass zoomer fortnite dance she does makes me want to commit war crimes.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Xenich wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:04

Depends on lore, world, era, setting, location, etc...

This is the issue with today's politics, the need to give a "black" option for a character that would not exist under those circumstances. Adding the option is more of an external attending. It would be like creating the option to choose dwarf in a setting where there were no dwarfs simply because the individual playing the game likes dwarfs (or identifies as one) and so this character is then added out of place and with no means to remedy their existence within the games world simply because the player wants it. Just using "They exist" is not a logical argument to the need to allow for them within the setting.
Black people exist in the real world, dwarves do not. But I think black characters would exist in Faerun which is a no brainer, there are different races anyway. Not everyone needs to be white in a setting where there are a lot of people.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Gladly
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:33
Yeah, but it could be due to immigration/adventurers from different places too? Also, BG3 isn't placed in Western Europe.
Of course it's not in Western Europe. That's why I said facsimile, which is what it is. In the same way LotR is not technically in Western Europe, but it is tantamount to it, as a setting.

Imagine if I created an area called Ognoc, and it's a large region in the middle of a continent South of the Equator, savannah and jungles, mountains and rivers, the whole 9 yards, it's sub-tropical and warm, the native creatures are Gorillas, Elephants, Hyenas and other things like that - then I filled it with clearly white Northern-Europeans, blonde hair, blue eyes, and very pale skin. Would that make sense? Of course it wouldn't because it has absolutely no verisimilitude - it's unimmersive. Making for very, very poor world building.

Also, as for Halsin, he actively tries to go behind your back on several occassions, and because he is the writers mary-sue self-insert, the characters go along with him, completely opposed to their story-arc, and even the things they previously said. It's a prime example of a non sequitor. There is zero link in the game that would result in those events, or dialogues triggering that would make sense in the scenarios which it can show in.

If your character was an out-and-out whore, then it would be believable, but you cannot avoid them, even if you go full puritanical.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:37
Gladly
I'm glad we both agree.

If I speak to you, assume it is because I'm trying to assess something about your character and why you insist on being here.