We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
RPGHQ HAS BEEN TARGETED BY GLOBALISTS! WE'VE BEEN DEPLATFORMED! DON'T LET THEM TURN THE FROGS GAY!!

HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Speculative R&D: Game Controllers

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

someone made homebrew software for calibrating the center point of playstation 4 and playstation 5 controllers:

Note that the ps2 and ps3 did this automatically, with the ps2 even having it built into the controller's firmware. Sony removed it for ps4 and ps5.

2nd note: Microsoft recently shipped an update for Xbox which allows doing this calibration officially (i.e. you're using a MS-made app to do it).

3rd note: this doesn't mean it fixes all stick drift, only drift caused by the center point being lost which is actually most of it. However if the actual carbon film inside the potentiometers is damaged as happens through wear and tear then simple calibration will not be enough. Obviously this is still incredibly handy to have.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that perhaps more importantly than center point calibration this software also allows dialing in the maximum RANGE of the stick deflection output, so that you get 100% movement range in every direction.

For those who might not be aware, when I say center point I mean that a good controller should look like this:

See how the dots are perfectly centered? If they move off-center they might look something like this instead:
Final note: even though it may not seem like it considering how much people talk about this online, drift is still actually pretty rare. I own dozens of controllers and have actually NEVER had a single controller start drifting on me with one specific exception: a faulty Razer Wolverine Ultimate controller I bought from GameStop a few years ago which came off-center out of the box. Other than that instance I've actually never had a controller drift on me, which is also why I'm not actually that big of a proponent for hall effect sticks. I mean yeah, of course I welcome new tech (or old tech in this case, Dreamcast controller had hall effect sensors), I just don't think they're THAT important.

Anyway, nice to have this program at least. Oh also, the more expensive 3rd party controllers (like Flydigi stuff) have this kind of calibration in the manufacturer software. I've never needed to use it but wanted to mention it.
Last edited by aweigh on June 3rd, 2024, 01:19, edited 3 times in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

just found out about this guy, ordered a custom controller from him. here's a video he posted to show off his custom mechanical buttons:

Post by 1998 »

aweigh wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 01:39
just found out about this guy, ordered a custom controller from him. here's a video he posted to show off his custom mechanical buttons:

I mean they look (sound) great. Would love to try them out but no way I am paying that.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »