We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Battle Brothers LP - Slayin' With the Boys

Document your playthroughs and share them
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

PERKS, Pt 1

Each level, bros receive one Perk. They may choose any Perk that they qualify for. I'm going to split Perk definitions into parts, since there are so many. Right now, I'll only list out the ones our bros can qualify for (up to tier 3).
Tier 1, left to right:
Fast Adaptation - each time you miss, you gain cumulative +7% chance to hit. Resets on a hit. Notes: very useful early, takes too long to ramp up late.
Crippling Strikes - lowers the threshold to inflict an affliction on hit by 33%. Notes: I almost never get this because I rarely care about afflictions, I want to kill as fast as possible. Useful on big monsters that take several rounds to kill (Schrats, Unholds, Lindwurms).
Colossus - increases HP total by 25%. Notes: very useful all through the game. If you can get a shield bro with 80+ base hp, he becomes basically unkillable unless the company suffers a TPK (he'll usually die last).
Nine Lives - once per battle, survive a fatal blow with 1-4 HP, and all afflictions are cured. Notes: very useful for dodge bros, who have a high likelihood of surviving subsequent attack attempts. Also clutch if you're closing out a fight and an enemy gets a lucky hit in (this would have saved OnTilt's life, for example).
Bags and Belts - doubles available bag slots from 2 to 4, and negates the fatigue penalty for carrying items in the bags. Notes: very useful for archers, who can stuff a couple extra quivers of ammo. Also nice for loading up on consumable items such as nets and grenades. Good all-around pick for non-dedicated bros and archers.
Pathfinder - negates the penalty to AP and fatigue for movement over difficult terrain. Also negates the penalty for one height change per round. Notes: I always get this on my bros 100%, without exception. Others don't. I just really enjoy being able to utilize full movement in forests/mountains/snow, I think it's incredibly valuable.
Adrenaline Rush - you are guaranteed to go first the round after you use this skill, for a hefty fatigue cost. Notes: useful for charging. Enemy barbarians come standard with this perk and make full use of it, charging as a line and then immediately attacking on the next turn. Good for high-fatigue bros and stabbers.
Recovery - spend all AP to immediately cleanse half of your fatigue. Notes: incredibly useful throughout the game, and near-mandatory for bros using 2h and archers, as they quickly go deep into fatigue debt on long fights.
Student - +20% xp earned. At the soft cap (level 11), get two Perks instead of one. Notes: it's free real estate.

Tier 2:
Executioner - +20% damage against injured targets. Notes: useful for 2-handed weapons that inflict a lot of injuries, such as Maces and Hammers.
Bullseye - reduce the penalty to strike your intended target in a crowd from 75% to 50%. Notes: mandatory for archer bros. Everyone else can pass.
Dodge - gain 15% of your current initiative as a bonus to Melee and Ranged def. Notes: excellent for bros with light/no armor, you can get to 60+ defense with this skill - for a couple rounds at least.
Fortified Mind - +25% Resolve. Notes: mandatory for bannerbros, as they give a bonus to others' Resolve checks based on their own Resolve. Others can skip.
Steel Brow - negates the massive damage bonus from a headshot. Notes: excellent defensive perk, as un-negated headshots can be deadly and/or cause tons of afflictions.
Quick Hands - negates the AP cost for switching items out of your bags, once per round. Notes: I love this perk, it really opens up flexibility on your bros. Are you a 2-handed bro who sometimes needs to whip out a shield? Have I got the perk for you! Not necessary for everyone but I almost always pick it up.
Gifted - immediately gain one levels' worth of stat rolls to choose from, with the maximum value for each. Notes: very nice throughout the game. I don't typically get it but others swear by it.

Tier 3:
Backstab - the bonus for ganging up on an enemy is increased from +5% to hit per bro to +10%. Notes: very useful for armor hunting (I'll talk about this later), and for polearm bros with low melee skill (they can get behind a gang of 3 bros in melee range and get a huge boost to-hit).
Anticipation - gain 1+10% of your normal ranged defense per tile you are from an attacker on a ranged attack. Notes: very nice against goblin ambushers and master marksmen. Good pick for shield bros.
Shield Expert - +25% bonus to the melee and ranged defense of your shield (typically this means +4 melee and +5 ranged, for a Kite Shield). Shield damage is reduced 50%. The Knock Back skill gains +15 to hit. Notes: mandatory for shield bros.
Brawny - reduce the fatigue penalty from your equipment by 30%. Note: very helpful for heavy armor, which can easily give -50 fatigue unmodified.
Relentless - reduce initiative by only 50% of your fatigue, rather than 100%. Wait no longer confers an initiative penalty. Notes: I never get this, someone chime in for good use cases.
Rotation - switch places with an adjacent bro for a hefty fatigue price. Notes: absolutely clutch in a lot of situations. I usually get this on my frontliners so they can move a backliner out of trouble.
Rally the Troops - give every bro within 4 hexes a Resolve check, with a bonus dependent on the acting bro's Resolve, to enhance Morale state, up to Steady. Notes: a bro with high Resolve can turn an entire fleeing party back around to fight. Absolutely mandatory against Geists.
Taunt - force a monster to attack you on its next action, if it can. Notes: I rarely get this but it's immensely helpful in several situations.

I'll describe more as they're unlocked.
Last edited by Kalarion on May 11th, 2024, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Moar Levelups
Oystersauce:

Maidenhaver:

Gerey:

Hauberk:

Boontaker:

Don't forget to give me your Perk choices if you want to. Also keep in mind that my naming conventions are not binding to your roles; I chose them based on (1) your preferences at the beginning, or (2) what I think your bro would be best at. But you're the ultimate arbiter of your build. If you want to do something specific, or different, go for it.

If anyone wants me to take care of incidental levelups (that is, levels during a session), just let me know what your priorities for stats are and I'll handle it. If left to my own devices I will prioritize like this:
Primary attacking stat: always pick on a roll of +2 or better.
Defense stats: always pick on a roll of +3 or better.
HP: take rolls of +3 or better until I hit 70 HP.
Resolve: take rolls of +3 or better until I hit 50 Resolve.
Fatigue: take rolls of +3 or better until I hit 120 Fatigue.
Initiative: take rolls of +3 or better until I hit 120 Initiative.

Edit: sorry for any viewing problems; the Vault wasn't letting me upload so I used catbox. I'll convert them over once the Vault is up again.
Last edited by Kalarion on May 12th, 2024, 20:02, edited 2 times in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

OK if you haven't done my first perk yet.

-Adrenaline
-Fortified Mind
-Backstab

+Resolve
+Melee
+Ranged defense for level 3

I'll let you do the stats, just focus on resolve, fatigue, melee attack/ranged defense. I'll pickup rally the troops next level. I want to still be a reliable (ish) attacker
Last edited by Boontaker on May 12th, 2024, 12:58, edited 3 times in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

For the leveling, resolve and initiative.

As for the perk, I'll pick Colossus, Pathfinder and Recovery.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Do you get one perk per tier? If so, Nine Lives and Rotation as well.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Actually I'm going to change my mind. Take adrenaline instead of student if you haven't already
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Ranged, HP and Fatigue yet again.

As for the perks...

Crippling Strikes and Executioner for now.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 12th, 2024, 00:42
Do you get one perk per tier? If so, Nine Lives and Rotation as well.
No, you can spend as many perks in a given tier as you want. The requirement to unlock each tier is the number of perks already spent. So, tier 2 requires you to have spent at least one perk point, tier 3 requires 2 perks spent, and so forth.

For instance, in my plays every bro gets Student and Pathfinder from tier 1. Most of them also get Recovery, and a very rare few might also get Colossus, Bags and Belts or Nine Lives.

@maidenhaver let me know what perks you'd like and how you'd like your next level's rolls.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I can't view the images, but bags and belts, and pathfinder.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

maidenhaver wrote: May 12th, 2024, 15:18
I can't view the images, but bags and belts, and pathfinder.
You should be able to see them now. I finally got them moved over to the Vault, sorry for taking so long. I took melee skill and melee/ranged def for your rolls but I haven't saved yet. Do you want to pick something else for them?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

@maidenhaver, you have another ding:

Choices and perk? Also, I put stuff in your expanded bag slots, but if you have any specific items you want in them let me know and I'll switch them out.

Everyone keep in mind that each of you has ultimate authority over your kit. I've outfitted you each as need/my preference dictates, but if you want something specific or some full loadout, you decide. This will be especially relevant this session, as most of you will be hitting level 5 and choosing your weapon specialization Perk.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

@Oyster Sauce:

You and Gerey are now level 5. Keep in mind that when you pick your weapon specialization you can also give yourself a surname/title. Let me know if you two have a preferred for your bros. If not I'll come up with something appropriate myself.
Last edited by Kalarion on May 13th, 2024, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Kalarion wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:22
@Oyster Sauce:

You and Gerey are now level 5. Let me know if you two have a preferred surname/title for your bros. If not I'll come up with something appropriate myself.
Recovery/Fast Adaption
+melee
+fatigue
+health
Saussier
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:31
@Oyster Sauce:

You and Gerey are now level 5. Let me know if you two have a preferred surname/title for your bros. If not I'll come up with something appropriate myself.
Recovery/Fast Adaption
+melee
+fatigue
+health
Saussier
Sorry, I edited my post. You get your name when you pick a weapons specialization. I'll keep it for when you pick.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Kalarion wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:36
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:31
@Oyster Sauce:

Recovery/Fast Adaption
+melee
+fatigue
+health
Saussier
Sorry, I edited my post. You get your name when you pick a weapons specialization. I'll keep it for when you pick.
2 handed hammer
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

@Boontaker:

Choose your perk. You're also level 5, if you take a weapon spec let me know your preferred surname/title.

Also keep in mind you have access to Rally the Troops, and that's our current Ambition. It's going to be your perk either this level or next.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Kalarion wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:39
@Boontaker:

Choose your perk. You're also level 5, if you take a weapon spec let me know your preferred surname/title.

Also keep in mind you have access to Rally the Troops, and that's our current Ambition. It's going to be your perk either this level or next.
+resolve
+Ranged defense
+health

I don't know what level you are on or what perks you have already taken.

Follow this perk order

Adrenaline>Fortified Mind>Backstab>Rally the Troops>Anticipation>Student>Head Hunter>Fearsome
Last edited by Boontaker on May 13th, 2024, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

I bought this over the weekend and it really makes time fly. I expect all our dudes we are making with the LP to die when we fight orcs lol. People start dieing fast!
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Health
Resolve
Melee damage

For weapon specialization, can I pick sword and shield?

Perk, shield expert I guess. How many more perks can I pick?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Kalarion wrote: May 12th, 2024, 23:17
@maidenhaver, you have another ding:

Choices and perk? Also, I put stuff in your expanded bag slots, but if you have any specific items you want in them let me know and I'll switch them out.

Everyone keep in mind that each of you has ultimate authority over your kit. I've outfitted you each as need/my preference dictates, but if you want something specific or some full loadout, you decide. This will be especially relevant this session, as most of you will be hitting level 5 and choosing your weapon specialization Perk.
I want to take two extra nets, a shield, and a bandage. Nothing else. I'll take the perk that lets you swap inventory without ap cost. Quick Hands? For stats: HP, Melee, and Resolve.

I want to take Shield and Mace expertice, next.
Last edited by maidenhaver on May 13th, 2024, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

The next update or two are going to be messy. My experiment with calling out dings mid-session is ongoing.

First things first. With a number of bros reaching level 5, I want to remind everyone that once you pick your weapon specialization you may also pick a surname or title. The only limitation is the text character limit (it's pretty generous). If bros aren't sure what they'd like their title to be, I can come up with something.

Note that the specialization perk itself is the pre-requisite for a title. Even though level 5 is the earliest that weapon spec is available, you may decide not to pick one immediately. In that case your title will wait as well (although you can tell us what it is and I'll save it for when you're ready).

Speaking of:

PERKS, Pt. 2 (Weapon Specializations)
Level 5 (and each bro's 4th available perk) unlocks Weapon Specializations. There is one specialization per weapon type. All weapon specializations share the bonus of reducing fatigue buildup from their skills by 25% (this is big for 2-handed weapons, which typically cost 20+ fatigue unmodified). In addition, any specialization that includes reach weapons (polearms, poleaxes etc) negate the standard to-hit penalty for attacking an adjacent enemy.

Note that certain weapons are "hybrids", considered two different types by the game. If you have a hybrid weapon and your specialization is for one of its types, you gain any applicable advantages for that weapon (bonuses to the type's attack, fatigue reduction, etc) when using the correct attack. If you're a bro with axe specialization wielding an axehammer (hybrid axe/hammer), you gain the fatigue reduction and the bonus damage to shields from Split Shield. You do NOT gain the fatigue reduction for Batter, the weapon's hammer skill. This is also a good demonstration because the hammer side of the axehammer has a uniquely-named skill, Batter. It has similar functionality to the normal hammer line of weapons (massive armor damage on hit), but you do NOT gain the bonus to armor damage from hammer specialization, because the standard hammer line skill is called Demolish Armor. You do still gain fatigue reduction when using Batter.

The weapon specializations are:
Mace - increases the chance to stun from 75% to 100% on hit.
Flail - Lash and Hail (guaranteed headshots on hit) ignore the defense of shields. Pound (2h flail's standard attack) ignores an additional 10% of armor on a headshot. Thresh (attack everything adjacent to your bro) gains +5% to hit.
Hammer - Demolish Armor and Destroy Armor deal an additional 33% damage to armor.
Axe - Split Shield (massive damage to shields, guaranteed hit) deals an additional 50% damage to shields. Round Swing (attacks everything adjacent to your bro) gains +5% to hit.
Cleavers - bleeding damage from whips and cleavers is doubled. The Disarm skill to-hit penalty is halved.
Swords - Riposte no longer has a penalty to hit. Split and Swing gain +5% to hit, instead of a penalty. Gash (the scimitar's special ability) has a 50% reduction in the threshold to inflict injuries.
Daggers - all attacks use 3 AP, rather than 4 (effectively allows a third strike if you don't move).
Polearms - polearm skills cost 5 AP, rather than 6 (allows allows an attack with two tiles of movement instead of one).
Spears - Spearwall is not disabled after the first miss. Instead, each individual opponent must dodge the spearwall.
Crossbows - Bolts ignore an additional 20% of armor. Handgonnes can be fired every round, and only require 6 AP to reload.
Bows - firing and view range +1.
Throwing - damage +30% at 2 tiles distance. Damage +20% at 3 tiles distance.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

gerey wrote: May 13th, 2024, 07:50
Health
Resolve
Melee damage

For weapon specialization, can I pick sword and shield?

Perk, shield expert I guess. How many more perks can I pick?
Yes, you can have both. You can in fact pick as many weapon specializations as you like (although more than 1 is usually an edge case).

You gain one perk per level, up to the soft cap of 11. So, 10 perks in total (or 11 if you pick Student).
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

If I level again, and the rolls are >/= +3, I'll take them for melee and ranged def. I need good melee, hp, and resolve rolls, too.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Boontaker wrote: May 13th, 2024, 01:07
Kalarion wrote: May 13th, 2024, 00:39
@Boontaker:

+resolve
+Ranged defense
+health

I don't know what level you are on or what perks you have already taken.

Follow this perk order

Adrenaline>Fortified Mind>Backstab>Rally the Troops>Anticipation>Student>Head Hunter>Fearsome
You're level 5. I've taken the perks you requested, so you currently have Adrenaline, Fortified Mind, Backstab and Rally the Troops.