We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Games that combine real-time shooting mechanics with RPG progression in a satisfying way

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Human Revolution and probably Mankind Divided have my favorite execution. Your character starts out competent, and you can upgrade yourself and/or your weapons to have better recoil, faster reloading, faster rate of fire, better accuracy when you shoot while moving, faster recovery of accuracy after moving, and the like. The damage upgrades aren't terribly large either.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Maggot wrote: February 11th, 2023, 06:42
Lhynn wrote: February 11th, 2023, 02:22
Maggot wrote: February 11th, 2023, 00:20
I don't think that game really fits this thread, even if there are progression mechanics.
Really nigger? Why dont you define RPG for me then?
I was writing a response, but I ended up deleting it and I'm just gonna call you a fag for even making me try to justify a L4D style knockoff not being an RPG.
Just play the fucking game nigger. Its good, and it is in fact an rpg. You can even larp as a dwarf there.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Roguey wrote: February 11th, 2023, 12:56
Human Revolution and probably Mankind Divided have my favorite execution. Your character starts out competent, and you can upgrade yourself and/or your weapons to have better recoil, faster reloading, faster rate of fire, better accuracy when you shoot while moving, faster recovery of accuracy after moving, and the like. The damage upgrades aren't terribly large either.
Shooting everything is fun, but the game is more enjoyable when played for stealth.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Tweed wrote: February 12th, 2023, 01:03
Shooting everything is fun, but the game is more enjoyable when played for stealth.
I did full stealth, full non-lethal and still somehow failed to get the achievement for not killing anyone. I think someone I tranquilized fell off a building or something. :x
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

WhiteShark wrote: February 12th, 2023, 01:10
Tweed wrote: February 12th, 2023, 01:03
I did full stealth, full non-lethal and still somehow failed to get the achievement for not killing anyone. I think someone I tranquilized fell off a building or something. :x
You have to be REALLY fucking careful when doing a no kill run, because idiots who get popped with tranq darts can die from the damage if they get shot in the head and sometimes they just die for no reason. You have to stop and check each knockout before moving on to make sure it's asleep and not a corpse.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Tweed wrote: February 12th, 2023, 01:22
You have to be REALLY fucking careful when doing a no kill run, because idiots who get popped with tranq darts can die from the damage if they get shot in the head and sometimes they just die for no reason. You have to stop and check each knockout before moving on to make sure it's asleep and not a corpse.
Huh, yeah, I didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Lesson learned: don't bother with obnoxious achievements. I don't regret doing a stealth+pacifist run, but it felt real bad doing it specifically for the achievement and not getting it.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Shadow Tower Abyss is pretty good. It doesn't put a heavy emphasis on shooting, and there are guns, but ammo is limited. It's a first person RPG, sort of like King's Field, and exploring maps and areas is where these 2 games share a lot of similarity. The atmosphere of the game is really bizarre, and unlike King's Field games, creatures do have weak points you can target, so where you land your attacks and which damage type you use actually matters in this game.