Official HQ review of El Matador is live, check it out: viewtopic.php?p=103777-el-matador
We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

Various tabletop stuff not deserving its own thread

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 03:52
@destinyhntr I think @WhiteShark or someone else was trying to put together a D&D group here a while back
Me, if we ever get the dice roller

Ahem...
Like my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Hate my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Indifferent to my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

destinyhntr wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 04:48
Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 04:33
I've always wanted to play DnD but every time I've tried it made me feel like a massive fruit loop and I had to excuse myself in embarrassment.
It can definitely be hit and miss. A lot of my memories from playing make me cringe, but there were also great moments that kept me going. It's a bit of a mixed bag (depending on the group and vibes).
My wife likes to play it but every group she consistently plays with sound like people she's only barely tolerating at any given time and out of like 10 games I've seen her be a part of there's like 2 she actually plays now :lol:
As soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you.
destinyhntr

Post by destinyhntr »

Vergil wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 05:07
destinyhntr wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 04:48
I've always wanted to play DnD but every time I've tried it made me feel like a massive fruit loop and I had to excuse myself in embarrassment.
It can definitely be hit and miss. A lot of my memories from playing make me cringe, but there were also great moments that kept me going. It's a bit of a mixed bag (depending on the group and vibes).
My wife likes to play it but every group she consistently plays with sound like people she's only barely tolerating at any given time and out of like 10 games I've seen her be a part of there's like 2 she actually plays now :lol:
Yeah, that sounds about right. I played with 5 groups and only really enjoyed one (then even that one had drama issues and fizzled out). I don't think it helps that dnd requires a lot of research, prep, and compatible personalities/expectations.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

There are some issues with virtual D&D that don't translate well. It's easy for people to get distracted and alt tab, which makes the entire experience feel weird. Like your calling in for your lines.

-needs to be voiced
-needs people to TRY and pay attention
-should be combat heavy, RP/puzzle moments are just flat out harder to do on VTT. Let the moments that do occur, happen naturally because players are engaged and enthusiastic.

Also if you play a female character in a D&D game you are gay, if you play an elf your SUPER gay. (Just keeping this topic thread relevant)
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@rusty_shackleford @destinyhntr @OnTilt I don't have any plans to run a game at this time. I have some... RPG-ish ideas... but I won't talk any more about those lest I get people's hopes up for something that may never happen. If I do something later, I will remember your interest.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Yes, this appears to be official PF2 material.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Oh, good, an excuse to post one of my favorite comments I made on codex!
DM: Okay, you’ve made it into the inner sanctum of the underground lair. The room is dimly lit by a few torches around the wall. In the center of the room, about 50 feet away you see a man sitting on a throne.

Blue-hair: I walk forward towards the throne.

Green-hair: Yeah, we all do!

Purple-hair: We’ve talked about this – I roll.

DM: As the three of you move closer, the throne suddenly moves toward you as well! Vyl'sul the Necromancer is sitting in a wheelchair, too!

DM (as Vyl'sul): You adventurers have violated the sanctity of my safe space! Leave now or be destroyed!

Purple-hair: What?!? No, he can’t – I’m the special one. Plus, he’s a bad guy, this isn’t fair!

DM (as Vyl'sul): You didn’t think it was strange that every room had ramps just the right size and gradient for a wheelchair? Or that the mystical elevator had clamps to lock the wheels in place so you didn’t roll off the edge?

Green-hair: Wait a minute! What color is Vyl'sul?

DM: What? What difference does that make?

DM (as Vyl'sul): What? What difference does that make?

Blue-hair: Just tell us!

DM (as Vyl'sul): I am a proud dark elf, shunned by my people as an albino and outcas---

Blue-hair: ---A-ha! He’s white! It’s okay to kill him!

Purple-hair: I’m going to charge him!

Green-hair: Me too!

DM: Vyl'sul casts Grease. Make a reflex save.

Purple-hair: 4

Green-hair: 6

DM: Okay, purple hair, you fall over prone. Let’s see, your strength score is 8…You take 15 crushing damage from the wheelchair landing on top of you.

Purple-hair: No, the wheelchair counts as a part of myself, so it can’t hurt me.

DM: Oh, yeah, good point. But, Green-hair is playing a Centaur barbarian – and weighs 600 pounds. So, you actually take 56 points of crushing damage. You are now permanently crippled…oops, I mean dead.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

citard

Post by citard »

Play AD&D 1e RAW then. Instead of feeling like a fag, you'll probably experience cool adventures.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

citard wrote: May 28th, 2024, 21:06
Play AD&D 1e RAW then. Instead of feeling like a fag, you'll probably experience cool adventures.
Can I play that by myself?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: May 28th, 2024, 21:13
Technically you can; you'd need to use an 'oracle', which is a set of instructions and tables for generating world events, NPC reactions, etc. Solo RPG play is too solipsistic for me, personally.
Last edited by WhiteShark on May 28th, 2024, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
citard

Post by citard »

Of course! I'm pretty sure there's solo play rules for it.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

There's always Fighting Fantasy or the Lone Wolf books.

Or we could do some PbP if rusty were to ever get the dice roller implemented (ahem)...
citard

Post by citard »

Acrux wrote: May 28th, 2024, 22:14

Or we could do some PbP if rusty were to ever get the dice roller implemented (ahem)...
My second recommendation is Adventurer Conqueror King. Its next version releases this November and I will be running a game. ACKS is the most complete TTRPG system I know of.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

That's good, because Adventuring King Conquering System Imperial Imprint is the official rpg of RPGHQ. (Seriously, ask @rusty_shackleford.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Acrux wrote: May 28th, 2024, 22:14

RPGHQERP
citard

Post by citard »

Acrux wrote: May 28th, 2024, 22:20
That's good, because Adventuring King Conquering System Imperial Imprint is the official rpg of RPGHQ. (Seriously, ask @rusty_shackleford.
Based.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

(sorry for off topic posting massa please dont whips me massa) I like your pfp btw @citard :D
citard

Post by citard »

Vergil wrote: May 28th, 2024, 22:30
(sorry for off topic posting massa please dont whips me massa) I like your pfp btw @citard :D
thanks, it's one of the default ones. I actually didn't know you could set custom profile pictures.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

This has been making the rounds...

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I saw it on /tg/ recently. I honestly agree with many of these but the needless aggression makes me think it's a trollpost. Supposing it were real, there's no way a group who needs to be told all this stuff will be able (or want) to adapt to all of this at once.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I think I like #10 the most: "every snide comment you make to an NPC will be remembered and paid back in triplicate"
Last edited by Irenaeus on May 29th, 2024, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I think this list was written by late HQer James Dixon
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Irenaeus wrote: May 29th, 2024, 00:57
I think I like #10 the most: "every snide comment you make to an NPC will be remembered and paid back in triplicate"
That one's good but a bit exaggerated, I feel. #8 is one I strongly agree with:
You tell every single person what you're doing before you do it. You don't fucking roll dice and then say you're casting fireball. You tell us all.
It's important for players to declare their actions in advance to make sure there are no misunderstandings. The GM needs to know what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish to adjudicate properly.
citard

Post by citard »

Irenaeus wrote: May 29th, 2024, 00:37
This has been making the rounds...

I saw the full thing and the way to avoid this is to not play with minorities or substance abusers.
citard

Post by citard »

The other rules show that the GM is a flaming gigafaggot who wants to change how the system works, because rulings that change a system rather than adding onto it are for faggots who can't RTFM.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Useful technique for distinguishing between normalfags and roleplayers:

Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

WhiteShark wrote: May 29th, 2024, 01:03
You tell every single person what you're doing before you do it. You don't fucking roll dice and then say you're casting fireball. You tell us all.
It's important for players to declare their actions in advance to make sure there are no misunderstandings. The GM needs to know what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish to adjudicate properly.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just throw all the dice you'll need for the process at once? Announce attack, roll to hit, roll for damage, all in one ago. Then just discard any branch mispredicts. That way you can entirely cut the back and forth of "you hit, now roll for damage", etc., since all that has already been done.