We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Better Romance 2.5.0 — Baldur's Gate 3

Share things you've made or found for games here.

Moderator: Mod Janitor

Crusaderknight20

Post by Crusaderknight20 »

Pixelargh wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:10
Thanks, Crusader. Your implementation seems great. Very thoughtful. Just to be clear. Only romances / flirty dialogue will be disabled right? You can still experience the rest of their scenes/quests with high enough approval?
Yep, you'll still get all the scenes and quests. Like, scenes labeled as 'ROM' (for Romance) in the game files now have gender restrictions for the player.

For example, Wyll's dance scene in Act 2 is actually a ROM scene. But the weave scene with Gale? That wasn't a ROM scene, it was just a standard one.

Tags:
GOW LIKE A BOSS

Post by GOW LIKE A BOSS »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 13:18
Reichspepe wrote: January 4th, 2024, 19:08
That's what seems most likely, yes. I'm just wondering because as an example with Astarion, when you have the first camp conversation with him sitting on the sleeping bag thing, it still has this weird undertone with the answers you can give him, like this here

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 4th, 2024, 19:13
Reichspepe wrote: January 4th, 2024, 19:08
That's what seems most likely, yes. I'm just wondering because as an example with Astarion, when you have the first camp conversation with him sitting on the sleeping bag thing, it still has this weird undertone with the answers you can give him, like this here

Hmm, yeah there's some gay in that subtext, I just started re-playing again yesterday so I didn't get pretty far. Maybe @Crusaderknight20 missed this line of dialogue or maybe the mod's not working right, not sure.
Hey everyone! Just noticed that the latest update disabled the mod. But here's the good news: you no longer need the old mods since Larian fixed the bug. So, go ahead and delete the NoRomMale and NoRomFemale mods. Then, head over to the main page – you'll find new links to the updated mod there.
Do we still need NoRomPlatonicLingo? I see it in my mods folder, but it wasn't in the latest download on page 1.
Pixelargh

Post by Pixelargh »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 6th, 2024, 02:57
Pixelargh wrote: January 6th, 2024, 00:10
Thanks, Crusader. Your implementation seems great. Very thoughtful. Just to be clear. Only romances / flirty dialogue will be disabled right? You can still experience the rest of their scenes/quests with high enough approval?
Yep, you'll still get all the scenes and quests. Like, scenes labeled as 'ROM' (for Romance) in the game files now have gender restrictions for the player.

For example, Wyll's dance scene in Act 2 is actually a ROM scene. But the weave scene with Gale? That wasn't a ROM scene, it was just a standard one.
That sounds great! Thanks!
Crusaderknight20

GOW LIKE A BOSS wrote: January 6th, 2024, 07:23

Do we still need NoRomPlatonicLingo? I see it in my mods folder, but it wasn't in the latest download on page 1.
I've included it in the package, but I'm still working on updates to make it truly inclusive. I'm going through the game to see if I missed any stragglers.

If you spot a dialogue that seems iffy, let me know. But just so you know, Act 2 is usually the last shot for companions trying to romance you, except for Halsin.
Reichspepe

Post by Reichspepe »

I still have these options here enabled ( the 4th one specifically). Is this not changed yet, or is my mod not working? I have it under the No Alphabets mod in the Mod manager, which is the only one I think could conflict.

Last edited by Reichspepe on January 6th, 2024, 19:06, edited 3 times in total.
Crusaderknight20

Reichspepe wrote: January 6th, 2024, 19:03
I still have these options here enabled ( the 4th one specifically). Is this not changed yet, or is my mod not working? I have it under the No Alphabets mod in the Mod manager, which is the only one I think could conflict.

This looks like the goblin version of the tiefling party. I haven't worked on that one yet, but I'll go through it and get started. In the meantime, could you DM me the screenshots showing how the dialogue starts?
Pixelargh

Post by Pixelargh »

I don't know if this is possible but there is a scene with Gale in which you don't have a choice but to sit awkwardly close to him to talk. Maybe it could be changed for the player to have a choice such as:
1. Sit on the grass
2.Sit on the grass close to Gale
3. Keep standing.

For a game that tries to offer the player a lot of choice in some regards, it kinda forces the player into unwanted situations, not talking even about relationships, it's just a question of personal space and boundaries with people you barely know.
Crusaderknight20

Pixelargh wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:58
I don't know if this is possible but there is a scene with Gale in which you don't have a choice but to sit awkwardly close to him to talk. Maybe it could be changed for the player to have a choice such as:
1. Sit on the grass
2.Sit on the grass close to Gale
3. Keep standing.

For a game that tries to offer the player a lot of choice in some regards, it kinda forces the player into unwanted situations, not talking even about relationships, it's just a question of personal space and boundaries with people you barely know.
Unfortunately, I also want to change that. But I'll need the official dev tool to do it. So far, with current modding, we can tweak the lines characters say, but only slightly to keep the lip-sync in check. However, I've got more freedom to change disembodied voices. About that scene, it seems like Larian doesn't really get how to offer an option for normalcy.

To be honest, I used to think that scene was a romance scene, but it actually wasn't. Wyll's dance scene was classified as a ROM (Romance Scene). The only issue with Gale's scene is that it's kind of weird, but that's part of his storyline and happens regardless of your approval rating.

Also, Larian actually fixed the scene, so Gale doesn't jump on you like he used to. But it wasn't a bug; they just got a lot of complaints, so that's why they changed it.

I can change the flavor text responses, though, and I'm open to any suggestions you have. But I can't make an option to not sit, as that's not possible right now.
Pixelargh

Post by Pixelargh »

Oh cool. That's good to know. Could you please screenshot the flavor text responses given originally? (I don't have a save there). I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

By the way, would you consider uploading this mod on the Nexus? I feel a lot of people are not interested in romance and the mod could benefit from the added visibility to reach people who might be interested, although the Nexus is full of SWJs so I understand why you might be hesitant to upload it there.

Anyways, thanks again for the mod!
Last edited by Pixelargh on January 7th, 2024, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
Crusaderknight20

Pixelargh wrote: January 7th, 2024, 14:31
Oh cool. That's good to know. Could you please screenshot the flavor text responses given originally? (I don't have a save there). I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

By the way, would you consider uploading this mod on the Nexus? I feel a lot of people are not interested in romance and the mod could benefit from the added visibility to reach people who might be interested, although the Nexus is full of SWJs so I understand why you might be hesitant to upload it there.

You're welcome, and sorry about the wait. As for Nexus, we'll see what happens. And here are the possible responses for that scene.

This is his response after this scene with High Approval:

Pixelargh

Post by Pixelargh »

Screenshot 1

1. Beautiful sky. Your doing, I assume?

Screenshot 2

5. There has to be another way. You can't lose hope.

Screenshot 3

1. You don't have to die. You are among friends. We'll face what's to come together.

Screenshot 4

1. Sure. I can stay for a bit. This is a good night to share with friends.
2. Sorry, I can't. It will be a long day tomorrow and I need to rest. Good night.

------

The rest of the lines seem fine to me.

Regarding Nexus, I would reframe the mod as Friendship mod because this is basically what it is. You took long efforts to reframe the romances into friendships and a lot of people prefer that experience to romances / excessive horniness.
Last edited by Pixelargh on January 9th, 2024, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 9th, 2024, 14:03

As for Nexus, we'll see what happens.
Please upload it on Nexus, even if it gets deleted it's still good and fun drama and would give RPGHQ even more reach. If not, well, you're giving way more people an opportunity to appreciate your job. I can respect if it's not your cup of tea though
Dreogan

Post by Dreogan »

Anon wrote: January 10th, 2024, 00:09

Please upload it on Nexus, even if it gets deleted it's still good and fun drama and would give RPGHQ even more reach. If not, well, you're giving way more people an opportunity to appreciate your job. I can respect if it's not your cup of tea though
Nexus is making money on ads, so giving Nexus mod content is permitting them to make money off of your work. Given that Nexus seems to be adhering to ESG business policies, and that its proprietors likely do hold Critical Theorist beliefs, you can understand why people might not want to do that. For some reason Nexus has turned into the Disney of modding (of the unsupported type, at any rate - Steam Workshop is there for "official" modding, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similarly exclusionary, despite Gabe Newell's intentions). The big difference is that Nexus doesn't even make anything! Hopefully an alternative will emerge, but that's less likely to happen if everyone still posts content there.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Dreogan wrote: January 10th, 2024, 00:19

Nexus is making money on ads, so giving Nexus mod content is permitting them to make money off of your work. Given that Nexus seems to be adhering to ESG business policies, and that its proprietors likely do hold Critical Theorist beliefs, you can understand why people might not want to do that. For some reason Nexus has turned into the Disney of modding (of the unsupported type, at any rate - Steam Workshop is there for "official" modding, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similarly exclusionary, despite Gabe Newell's intentions). The big difference is that Nexus doesn't even make anything! Hopefully an alternative will emerge, but that's less likely to happen if everyone still posts content there.
I use adblock and obviously won't ever pay nexus membership, so they arent getting shit from me

but your point certainly makes sense. I could give a counterpoint that the author also gains from more publicity and perhaps more donations, but we know at the end the modding scene is a monopoly where nexus is the biggest beneficiary.
Pixelargh

Post by Pixelargh »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 9th, 2024, 14:03

As for Nexus, we'll see what happens.
I think it's a good idea since the downloads statistics would give you a good idea about how many would prefer fixed sexual orientation for companions or simply a friendship route instead of horndogs romances. You just need to write the description focusing on the friendship aspect and it should be fine.
Dreogan

Post by Dreogan »

Anon wrote: January 10th, 2024, 01:21

but your point certainly makes sense. I could give a counterpoint that the author also gains from more publicity and perhaps more donations, but we know at the end the modding scene is a monopoly where nexus is the biggest beneficiary.
There's not much value to publicity. And modders don't get any appreciable amount of money from donations. I wouldn't be surprised if those who post BG3 mods here on RPGHQ get more than a Nexus mod poster does, out of appreciation for their non-Woke perspectives and a general desire to support those who've been cancelled. People make mods because they like the games, and enjoy the challenge and creative process of doing so. That's about it. There's no reward to be found, save the satisfaction of knowing that others are enjoying your efforts (which is really a distant second to the satisfaction of just seeing your changes appear in the game as intended). In its early years Nexus used to be (or at least seemed to be) supportive of modding in general, but now seems to be more cynical (though FWIW, gaming audiences have also grown more hostile and activist, if only at the noisy periphery that, sadly, actually gets listened to).
Face

Post by Face »

Good stuff. Though it is funny to see that gobsmacked look on Wyll's face when he's nancing about and I tell him to pound sand.

Now in a perfect world, there would be a harem mod, where a male could romance all the ladies. But this mod on its own is fantastic.
Dreogan

Post by Dreogan »

Face wrote: January 11th, 2024, 08:28
Good stuff. Though it is funny to see that gobsmacked look on Wyll's face when he's nancing about and I tell him to pound sand.

Now in a perfect world, there would be a harem mod, where a male could romance all the ladies. But this mod on its own is fantastic.
In principle this might work in combination with the "No Romance Limit" mod. Might have to tweak load order. (Or not. Just speculating.)
Dabomb

Post by Dabomb »

Please tell me this mod will make Halsin fuck off. I swear that dude is on some predator list.
Dabomb

Post by Dabomb »

Additional question: Will this mod prevent certain idle banter? For example Halsin trying to get in your pants and ask for a threesome while being in a party with your romanced companion?
Dabomb

Post by Dabomb »

► Show Spoiler
Tested the mod a little bit so when it's time for
► Show Spoiler
If I'm not mistaken, this means our male MCs can flirt with other male characters but they won't flirt back?
Crusaderknight20

Dabomb wrote: January 12th, 2024, 15:32
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
If I'm not mistaken, this means our male MCs can flirt with other male characters but they won't flirt back?
Hi, I'm currently working on the changes that were highlighted at the beginning of this week. I should have an update ready by the end of today. However, could you send me screenshots of those instances?
Reichspepe

Post by Reichspepe »

Thanks @Crusaderknight20 I'll get to it when I have time this weekend.
Two questions though, firstly do I load this new translation pak file above or below you original mod, as it already has text changes included?
Secondly do I have to load this pak file above or below the lingo.pak from "No Alphabets", so it doesn't override the parts that one changed?
Last edited by Reichspepe on January 12th, 2024, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dabomb

Post by Dabomb »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 22:06
Dabomb wrote: January 12th, 2024, 15:32
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Hi, I'm currently working on the changes that were highlighted at the beginning of this week. I should have an update ready by the end of today. However, could you send me screenshots of those instances?
I'm sorry I had already uninstalled the game to make space for something else on my computer, and I hadn't tried flirting with the male companions to test this. But I think you can tell other NPCs that you're in love with the male companions. As far as I know Quill Grootslang and I think Disciple Z'rell in Act 2, and Zethino in Act 3 are people the player can tell which companion they are in love with. Because of the first example, I think it's possible you can also tell those NPCs you're in love with male companions.

Also I have a question, would this mod prevent flirting idle banters? I really don't like my characters having to act OOC to get rid of someone lol.
Crusaderknight20

Thanks for the screenshot! It'll help me restrict that dialogue by gender. Regarding the banters, I'll need to listen to them first to see if I can disable them, but changing them isn't really possible. Initially, I thought about redoing the lines, but since they're lip-synced, it will be more difficult to redo them.
Last edited by Crusaderknight20 on January 13th, 2024, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Deadpan55

Post by Deadpan55 »

Original line: "You're too close..."
New line: "I think I'm going to turn in for the night."
Note: I personally don't mind retaining some rude dialogue lines.
Original line: "Hold on to the moment... It's a great night for intimacy."
New line: "Hold on to the moment. It's a great night for friendship."
New new line: "Hold on to the moment. It's a great night for fellowship."
Original line: "It's breathtaking, Gale. Is this starry sky your doing?"
New line: "Beautiful sky. Your doing, I assume?"
New new line: "Quite the sight to Behold. Is this starry sky your doing?"
Original line: "Nothing is inevitable. Not when we face it together. You don't have to die."
New line: "You don't have to die. You are among friends. We'll face what's to come together."
Note: I find no fault with the original. In fact, I quite like it.
Original line: "I'm not going anywhere, Gale. I'll be by your side, whatever dawn brings."
New line: "Sure. I can stay for a bit. This is a good night to share with friends."
New new line: "I'm not going anywhere, Gale. I'll be right here, come what may."
Original line: "I'd rather not listen to you wallowing in self-pity. Good night, Gale."
New line: "Sorry, I can't. It will be a long day tomorrow and I need to rest. Good night."
Note: Again, I personally welcome some rude/blunt dialogue lines.

Just figured I'd give my two cents...
I feel as though you might be trying too hard to make these interactions seem platonic, and as a result some lines come off a bit stilted. It is possible for two men to share an intimate moment, without it necessarily being gay.

Otherwise, great job! And thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Deadpan55 on January 21st, 2024, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Dabomb

Post by Dabomb »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:14
Thanks for the screenshot! It'll help me restrict that dialogue by gender. Regarding the banters, I'll need to listen to them first to see if I can disable them, but changing them isn't really possible. Initially, I thought about redoing the lines, but since they're lip-synced, it will be more difficult to redo them.
No problem man. Although I don't recall any other male companions trying to flirt with you in banters (or female to be honest) besides Halsin, this is the only one I know about:
► Show Spoiler
This triggers if you are in a party with Selune Shadowheart some time after her romance scene in Act 3 (no idea about the other companions) no matter what, man I'm tired of justifying how my good aligned characters either kill him or let him die lmao
Last edited by Dabomb on January 13th, 2024, 17:28, edited 3 times in total.
Crusaderknight20

Thanks for the link. I'll play around with it and see what changes I can make.

Also, I just updated the mod and fixed the formatting thanks to @orinEsque. It should be more concise now.
Last edited by Crusaderknight20 on January 14th, 2024, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Crusaderknight20

@Sovereignty I updated the NoRomLingo, NoRomCelibate, and NoRomVanilla. Please remove the old version you've got and activate those mods. No need to start a new playthrough.

@Praemonitus I updated the compatibility for FemAstarion mod as well.
n3IVI0

Post by n3IVI0 »

Crusaderknight20 wrote: December 24th, 2023, 06:53
Praemonitus wrote: December 24th, 2023, 01:12
Request:

Is it a hardship to make this compatible with Femstarion?
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/2446
This mod is perfect, I just can't abide that flamboyant faggot in my playthrough... It just grates on my soul to hear him talk.
I figure if he was a she, it might not be as bad.
Thoughts?
I can definitely do that, and also, do you want the option to romance Femstarion as a male?
This would be awesome. Astarion is a consummate stealth archer. I put him in overwatch and have him snipe the enemy from hiding. Extremely effective. But this means having to constantly LISTEN to this mincing faggot. PLEASE make him a chick.