We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/
Support RPGHQ
HQ doesn't use ads or trackers; we rely entirely on donations from the community to fund operations and development. This independence ensures we can continue without any outside interference.

Click here to see donation options.

LOTRO

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
Xenich

LOTRO

Post by Xenich »

So.... It has been years since I played this and thought... how bad could it be? Maybe it is worth a quick run through?

Yeah... Nope.

https://www.lotro.com/corsairs-of-umbar

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

We wuz.
"Italians & Germans - they're white." rusty_shackleford
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I've tried LotRO twice. The warden class where you combo different buttons together for a different end result chain ability sounds neat, but I always give up in the green starting zone before I get to that point. The game does not feel fluid or fun to play like WoW or GW2, nor does it have the same level of polish as WoW or FF14. Not does it look very good.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

People always think that the corsairs were dindus. I guess because they were called Black Numenoreans. But they were just regular Numenoreans who were loyal to Sauron and who lived in the south since the Second Age.

The closest to how they should be portrayed was actually in the LOTR movies.

Hmm...the LOTR LCG also got it right, at least sometimes. I know there were some that were niggafied. Those were of course, the hero units, not the enemies...
Last edited by Acrux on May 14th, 2024, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Like my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Hate my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Indifferent to my posts? Consider a donation: PayPal
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: May 14th, 2024, 16:53
I've tried LotRO twice. The warden class where you combo different buttons together for a different end result chain ability sounds neat, but I always give up in the green starting zone before I get to that point. The game does not feel fluid or fun to play like WoW or GW2, nor does it have the same level of polish as WoW or FF14. Not does it look very good.
Well, originally the combat was centered around an auto-attack system and triggered abilities. The thing was, abilities didn't override auto-attack and so they would fire as soon as the combat attack was finished. Over time, you could learn the feel of the timing and work your abilities into the rhythm of the round. If people didn't realize this and just hit their keys, the game would feel off, like it was not as reactive like it is other systems that allow forced fire of an ability.

This I think was changed at some point (I think they did a combat revamp around Mirkwood if I remember right, maybe just before) and it was a big issue as many who liked the old system saw it as a "dumbing down" of the play as it allowed for people just to spam their skills without thought or concern to the combat. I liked the original system as it added a bit of "skill" to the play and you could tell if a person put any attention to their learning the game by how they played in this manner (constantly missing interrupts, taunts, etc...).

In many ways, the game was very EQ-like in terms of its difficulty and dungeon layout. The dungeons were very long/brutal and mobs in the world were very unforgiving if you didn't take caution (You could get knocked off your horse very easily). To complete some of the longer run dungeons took skill to do it in a timely manner which left a lot of players complaining. Also, mobs didn't scale down fast when they turned grey so you could still get your ass handed to you by a lower level dungeon if you weren't careful). That combined with the early questing system which required the player to "read" the quest to determine where to go, what to look for, etc... (no bouncing balls, pointers) and a lot of the modern MMO crowd didn't care for it.

Skill/stat increases "looked" minimal (only showing fractional increases or a single point increase such as traits) which caused many to think they weren't "improving" and so there were a lot of complaints about items and trait increases not being "big enough" (perception issue).

All of that was changed though. World was made "easier", combat more "action spam your buttons" style, and dungeons were hacked into 15-20 min instance runs and modeled after modern game "token" collections. Horses were made like tanks where they could plow through the countryside without care and fast travel became the norm making the world feel small and insignificant.

This of course doesn't even get into the massive amount of pay to win (buy your faction/trait grinds, etc...) they put in turning the game into a joke.

Anyway, the whole "urinating" on lore became a common thing as you can see now. It used to be very carefully governed by the Tolkien Group to make sure it held to proper lore (there was a huge argument over the fire abilities of the lore master and its casting at release), but that too is kind of a joke when they came out with the Rune-keeper.

Like most older MMOs, they are gimmicked modern garbage trying to chase an audience that really wants nothing to do with them anyway.
Last edited by Xenich on May 14th, 2024, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

lotro nigged up the game sometime last year
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 1st, 2024, 06:44

Lord of the Rings Online:
Recently introduced 'diverse' character models that do not represent the actual characteristics of the Men of the source material: https://massivelyop.com/2023/04/14/lord ... gobs-more/
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Acrux wrote: May 14th, 2024, 16:54
People always think that the corsairs were dindus. I guess because they were called Black Numenoreans. But they were just regular Numenoreans who were loyal to Sauron and who lived in the south since the Second Age.

Hmm...the LOTR LCG also got it right, at least sometimes. I know there were some that were niggafied. Those were of course, the hero units, not the enemies...
I think Tolkien's mention was "Black" as in dark skinned due to the sun.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich wrote: May 14th, 2024, 18:32
Acrux wrote: May 14th, 2024, 16:54

I think Tolkien's mention was "Black" as in dark skinned due to the sun.
No, it was "Black" as in servant of the Enemy.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: May 14th, 2024, 18:51
No, it was "Black" as in servant of the Enemy.
Based libtards making the servants of evil into negroids.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

what 'black numenorean' means to libtards:
Anon

Post by Anon »

There's a LOTRO private server that's soon gonna launch, called Echoes of Angmar. It's supposed to use a vanilla version from back to 2007. I recommend checking it out.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Xenich wrote: May 14th, 2024, 16:03
So.... It has been years since I played this and thought... how bad could it be? Maybe it is worth a quick run through?

Yeah... Nope.

This looks really cool besides the nigger factor
As soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Vergil wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:05

Yeah... Nope.

I'm seeing a woman too, so coolness factor destroyed.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Anon wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:02
There's a LOTRO private server that's soon gonna launch, called Echoes of Angmar. It's supposed to use a vanilla version from back to 2007. I recommend checking it out.
Very cool. Release was the best experience. Not to say Moria wasn't cool in some ways, but you could tell they changed hands mid development of it and screwed it up with modern changes to direction. While I enjoyed the mechanics of Moria dungeons, it wreaked of WoW implementation with its fast run farm for token crap. I remember getting to the point where we could run every Moria dungeon and the Watcher in a single night.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Irenaeus wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:08
Vergil wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:05

Yeah... Nope.

I'm seeing a woman too, so coolness factor destroyed.
You're so real for this
As soon as they like you, make 'em unlike you.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:01
Seriously? This is an actual card from a game?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Collect the whole set!

fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

And I thought Viggo Mortensen never shouldn't have gotten the role, that Hugo Weaving would have been a much better alternative, if we are to take into account Tolkien's own description of the Dunedain... And now this. They (i.e., Tolkien Estate) are pissing upon his (that is, Tolkien's) memory and by rights they should never be allowed to touch anything written by Tolkien ever again.
DAMN.
Last edited by fkirenicus on May 14th, 2024, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Purifying the thread.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on May 14th, 2024, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WE
Image Image
I just found out they did it to more than aragorn and I had to double check these were real

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that multiple forms of media all BLACKED the characters simultaneously: TV series, video game, and card game. Just a coincidence.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 14th, 2024, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:02
WE
Image Image
I just found out they did it to more than aragorn and I had to double check these were real

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that multiple forms of media all BLACKED the characters simultaneously: TV series, video game, and card game. Just a coincidence.
Are the race swaps exclusively black? No Chinese Gollum?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

fkirenicus wrote: May 14th, 2024, 20:36
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 14th, 2024, 19:01
Seriously? This is an actual card from a game?
Are you new to Magic the Gathering?
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

Irenaeus wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:09

Yup, and it seems I will remain so... DAMN that Tolkien Estate bastards.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:05
Try here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gacha_game
Last edited by Irenaeus on May 14th, 2024, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

fkirenicus wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:10

In fairness MtG only started to get nigged in the mid 2010s, most of what came before is safe from nigs.
Last edited by Irenaeus on May 14th, 2024, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I was completely unaware of the extent of the niggification of the mtg cards
"white rider" what did they mean by this?
Minas Tirith ain't surviving this siege.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Used to actually be a pretty cool game, but like everything it is destroyed by this crap. There is an old Micropose Magic the Gathering game from the 90's which you can still find which has the good cards in it and has a nice mini-RPG game with it called Shandalar. It is worth playing and there is a modded/updated one with newer cards (not the woke ones) if you can find it.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Xenich on May 15th, 2024, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:05
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 14th, 2024, 21:02
WE
Image Image

masta hobbitu i woulda nevah stearu the pureciousuu
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Xenich wrote: May 14th, 2024, 22:50

Used to actually be a pretty cool game, but like everything it is destroyed by this crap. There is an old Micropose Magic the Gathering game from the 90's which you can still find which has the good cards in it and has a nice mini-RPG game with it called Shandalar. It is worth playing and there is a modded/updated one with newer cards (not the woke ones) if you can find it.
► Show Spoiler
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/magi ... hering-9zv
"Italians & Germans - they're white." rusty_shackleford