We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Favorite time travel games?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Time Shift was a really fantastic FPS and it's depressing not a single sequel or spiritual successor has been made.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Journeyman Project 1 and 2.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time

You have seemingly saved the world and beaten the game... and then find out that the antagonist you arrested is actually a hero from the future on your side, fighting to save his dying world. So you both become allies. You save your world from the bad future. And then in the true final chapter, you play as the antagonist who returns to his bad future (which wasn't erased by your actions/time paradox) and save his world and his people too, so everyone gets a happy ending.

Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess

One of the complaints players had about FF11 is that the backstory of the big near apocalyptic war that happened 20 years before the game takes place sounds so much more interesting than what happens in the present story. The fall of the kingdom of Tavnazia as seen in the opening cinematic of the game. Bastok's racially segregated army and Zeid's unit being sent out to die first. A humongous army of evil birdmen advancing on Windurst and the great magus Karaha-Baruha having to sacrifice himself to make a pact with Fenrir, which drains the land of mana. Etc. So in WotG the devs let you time travel back to the war and participate in the big battles and see the huge events that the NPCs in the present day were constantly talking about.

Final Fantasy XI: Rhapsodies of Vana'diel

In the future (many years after the current game takes place), you retire from adventuring and become a powerful and renowned wizard. One of your close friends who you adventured with in an expansion gets married, and his daughter grows up and becomes your apprentice. Then the apocalypse happens, and your future self sacrifices himself so your future apprentice can escape and travel back in time and warn your present self. Then you both go back to the bad future and defeat the ultimate big bad.

Fire Emblem Awakening

During the game, you can ship your party members together. Half way through the game, their children become playable, who escaped the bad future in which you, the protagonist, became possessed by the big bad evil dragon and ended the world. The children characters have different hair colors, abilities, and dialogue depending upon who their parents were, which is a nice touch.

Granblue Fantasy

In the third arc, you fight a novel type of apocalyptic war: the Otherworlders are trying to invade and conquer/destroy the Sky realm, but they use the unusual tactic of erasing obstacles from the timeline, with the player character inheriting the True King's power to notice changes in the timeline. So one moment, you're party is travelling to a populated island to ask people for information, and then the next moment you arrive at ruins and everyone around you is telling you that this place was wiped out years ago, but you're the only one who remembers that there were people here alive a few days ago. One moment you and your bro are talking, and then you turn around and he's been replaced by this other girl you've never met before who insists she's been adventuring with you since the beginning, and you realize that your bro was erased by the Otherworlders. The story really does give the feeling that you're fighting a hopeless war against an overwhelmingly powerful foe, and you are the only one who remembers the old world that is being taken away.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on May 22nd, 2024, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Majora's Mask
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

It's not really all that great, but David Wise makes every game playable.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Tweed wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 04:33

It's not really all that great, but David Wise makes every game playable.
That was easily in my top 5 most played NES games as a kid.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Radiant Historia is a cool JRPG where you have to constantly switch between timelines to solve problems. Has turn based combat where you try to stack your party's turns by delaying attacks so you can build combos using moves that get bonuses based on enemy positioning (pull a rear line enemy forward into another enemy which allows your next party member to attack them both at once and knock them to the side where someone else can now use an AOE to hit 4 niggas at once). Has a mature adult protagonist. Never finished it but I should.

Oh here's a .gif
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on May 22nd, 2024, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

On a more serious note, a fun time travelling game is a side scroller that starts in the stone age and goes through most famous eras until the future. Very low poly old 3d game.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World

By completing Lord Peabody's quest, the party gains access to his time machine, allowing to travel to past centuries of Cron, as well as being relevant to solving the main adventure.

I'm surprised there has not been more use of time travel in traditional computer role-playing games.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Irenaeus wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 13:40

On a more serious note, a fun time travelling game is a side scroller that starts in the stone age and goes through most famous eras until the future. Very low poly old 3d game.
Remember seeing this one in the arcade, never played it myself, but I watched several people do it. Looked neat, but it wasn't my kind of thing. Unforgettable cabinet.

It's fun AND educational! It came with a huge brick of a book that you needed if you weren't a history major.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, just a really fun game in an underused setting. Third game in the franchise also wasn't that bad.

Singularity by Raven, since using your time travel McGuffin to solve puzzles and fight enemies was a very marketed feature.

Neither game does much with time travel mechanically (beyond giving you the ability to rewind time), but time travel and how it can shape the present and future are major narrative themes of both games.

Post by 1998 »

I really like that one. But I have to admit, never played it since.

asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

there are some decent games with time travel context but never heard of any where the actual time travelling mechanics is actually fun or interesting

time distortion in braid is fun though
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Liked that N64 Duke Nukem game where you end up in the wild west, london during jack the ripper and on the titanic.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Quantum Break. It exceeded my low expectations. Committed to the time travel theme.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

J1M wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 19:03
Quantum Break. It exceeded my low expectations. Committed to the time travel theme.
Imagine my shock when they started making me watch full length TV episodes in that game
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 20:01
Imagine my shock when they started making me watch full length TV episodes in that game
that game gave "moviegame" a new definition
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 20:03
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 20:01
that game gave "moviegame" a new definition
I like the concept but it probably could use a little iteration. It can't be a huge part of the budget and completely skippable because nothing of interest happens.

Could be "found footage" so the player doesn't switch to a passive context.
Last edited by J1M on May 22nd, 2024, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Quantum Break was great! I think it's Remedy's best game. Enjoyed playing it and watching the episodes very much.

Be sure to read all of the story documents you find lying around to get the FULL picture... it's worth it.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Reverse Collapse I guess because people already mentioned the one I was gonna say