We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Christian Orthodox Corner

Surely this will be a civilized forum
The_Mask

The Christian Orthodox Corner

Post by The_Mask »

If you're Christian and Orthodox, and you'd like to discuss this with likeminded people, this is the thread for you!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I'm Christian and Orthodox but I don't really have much to discuss. Lent started, I guess. Ran into a guy who used to go to my parish and it seems like he may have apostasized. He talked about the 'natural order' and the 'alignment of the universe' but not God.

I haven't been going for a while either due to my health, but I seem to be recovering. Always seems to happen around holidays. Got better for Thanksgiving, then got worse. Got better for Pascha last year, then got worse. Year before that, too. God willing this year I get well enough for Pascha then stay well. Feels bad not being there to sing with the choir. Our director is frequently absent due to work, our sub-director is going to a different parish now, and on top that I, the only tenor aside from the director, disappeared too, so it's been hard for them.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yeah, the past two years it has been rather difficult for people to get together for Easter. I'm going to attend this year, as well.
Phos

Post by Phos »

What are the main differences between Catholic Christianity and Orthodox Christianity?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Phos wrote: February 24th, 2023, 12:54
What are the main differences between Catholic Christianity and Orthodox Christianity?
Matters of principle:
  • Authority (ecclesiastical): is the highest Church authority the Pope or an Ecumenical Council?
  • Authority (secular): is the highest secular authority the Pope or the Emperor?
  • Scholasticism vs Mysticism: are God and the spiritual mainly apprehended by reason or faith?
  • Legalism: are all moral and spiritul matters regular, categorizable, and codifiable, or are they not?
Matters of practice:
  • May a married man become a priest? (C no, O yes)
  • State of monasticism (C declining, O healthy)
  • Layout of a parish
  • Catholic Mass vs Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom
  • Fasting (C relaxed, O strict)
Hopefully I didn't miss anything too important. inb4 Catholics storm in here to tell me my whole list is wrong
There's also a thousand years worth of saints only recognized in one or the other since they postdate the schism.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

That one can be best answered by a priest, but as far as I'm concerned: the teachings of the Orthodox Church come from the Apostles of Christ. The Catholic one has had way too many intermediaries. Which is why the Catholic one has so many "brands" and off-shoots.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Happy Easter! Un Paște fericit!
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Catholics practice sorcery, Orthodox practice idolatry.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Tweed wrote: April 16th, 2023, 21:39
Catholics practice sorcery, Orthodox practice idolatry.
And this is why Western "Christianity" is completely apostate. The denial of reality, of history, and of genuine faith. If Orthodoxy is "idolatrous", than Protestantism is a network of fast food chains. Each one telling you that their product is better than another chain's product, while selling their customers fake, feel-good food that isn't the least bit genuine.

We do not worship icons in Orthodoxy, we revere them. There is a difference.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I knew I iggy'd you for a reason, heretic.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

WhiteShark wrote: February 24th, 2023, 13:45
inb4 Catholics storm in here to tell me my whole list is wrong
I don't know about that, but here's a decent overview of the differences:

https://www.scripturecatholic.com/diffe ... catholics/
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

CHRIST IS RISEN!
ハリストス復活!
The_Mask wrote: April 16th, 2023, 20:50
???
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Saint John Chrysostom wrote:
If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived thereof. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; He gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And He shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one He gives, and upon the other He bestows gifts. And He both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. Let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

WhiteShark wrote: April 17th, 2023, 05:18
CHRIST IS RISEN!
ハリストス復活!
The_Mask wrote: April 16th, 2023, 20:50
???
In Romanian is "Hristos a înviat". :)
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2023, 00:31
Right, so they're BOTH heretics.
Heresy is really only possible within a specific church as it is a breach of church orthodoxy.

Personally I subscribe to Pope Gregory I definition of heresy who labeled all heresy as "Jewish", claiming that Judaism would "pollute [Catholics and] deceive them with sacrilegious seduction. Seems about right :eyebrows:
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Pretty late on this...
WhiteShark wrote: April 17th, 2023, 05:18
CHRIST IS RISEN!
ハリストス復活!
INDEED HE IS RISEN!
Христос воскресе!
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Rigwort wrote: April 27th, 2023, 04:12
Христос воскресе!
You're not Bulgarian, are you? Oh God, you're Fantadomat aren't you?
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Sweeper wrote: April 29th, 2023, 18:59
Христос воскресе!
I never knew Fanta was religious, this has to be another Bulgarian :Inspector:
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Atlantico wrote: April 29th, 2023, 19:04
Христос воскресе!
Must be that other guy I had a long back and forth with concerning mental illness and faggots then... the one with the funny monk avatar, his name escapes me.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Sweeper wrote: April 29th, 2023, 19:06
Atlantico wrote: April 29th, 2023, 19:04

Must be that other guy I had a long back and forth with concerning mental illness and faggots then... the one with the funny monk avatar, his name escapes me.
Ah yes whydoibother, he's an insuffarably smug atheist midwit afaik :read:

Between the two I'd rather assume Fanta has discovered Christ lmao
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Happy St. Andrews Day, saint-protector of Romania!