We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Recommend Korean, Japanese and Chinese dramas, sitcoms and movies.

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Recommend Korean, Japanese and Chinese dramas, sitcoms and movies.

Post by aweigh »

I have a few stored up but I'll just start with this one to try to get the thread going. Here's my first recommendation, a really funny, really well-acted Japanese comedy series...

Legal High
(free streaming link with English subs)
Attorney Komikado Kensuke (Sakai Masato) loves money, prestige & women, but also has a 100% winning rate when it comes to his legal cases. Mayuzumi Machiko (Aragaki Yui) is a rookie attorney who holds a strong sense of justice & passionate about protecting the weak. She is also awkward and rigid in her work. One day, due to unforeseen circumstances, Mayuzumi Machiko begins to work at Komikado Kensuke's law office. The two attorneys constantly clash, but in the courtroom they cooperate to fight as one.
The synopsis makes it sound more serious than it is, in reality the show is fucking hilarious and every episode is a great time. Some really great comedic/physical acting from Sakai Masato especially. I definitely recommend this one for a watch.

EDIT: Avoid the Korean remake, it's awful. Watch the Japanese original I linked here.
Last edited by aweigh on September 19th, 2023, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Silmido, true story of convicts who were secretly trained on an island to assassinate kim il sung

New World (2013) undercover cop movie

Admiral, really cool 16th century naval battle scenes
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I have seen all of these and liked them at the time, but it's been years:
Memoirs of Murder
The Chaser
A Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
Yellow Sea
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Man from Nowhere

These were okay I guess:
The Host
Operation Chromite
71 into the Fire
Brotherhood of War

Other popular Korean movies I saw but did not like:
Battleship Island
I Saw the Devil
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Emphyrio wrote: September 19th, 2023, 21:33
I have seen all of these and liked them at the time, but it's been years:
Memoirs of Murder
The Chaser
A Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
Yellow Sea
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Man from Nowhere

These were okay I guess:
The Host
Operation Chromite
71 into the Fire
Brotherhood of War

Other popular Korean movies I saw but did not like:
Battleship Island
I Saw the Devil
Lotta good stuff there, seen about half of those. Personally I really liked The Host. Memories of Murder is a classic, same as Oldboy.

Have you seen the one he did right after Oldboy? It's called THIRST, about a Catholic priest who becomes a vampire. I really liked it.

THIRST
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Mito Komon is a really good historical drama, but I've never been able to find it with subs so I have to do the best I can with my primary school level Japanese skills. The theme song is awesome and it's so famous it has it's own wikipedia page.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ああ人生に涙あり

This metal cover of it is even more awesome. One of my favorite seiyuu sings on this version.