We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Heavy Metal Central

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Griffin

Heavy Metal Central

Post by Griffin »

I'll start with the album which was inspiration for the name I chose: Griffin's Flight Of The Griffin, I was listening it at the same time I was registering, and I couldn't come up with another name, so I took Griffin and the portrait from the album:

It's a great early-ish American heavy metal album, combines some elements from speed/thrash metal, some influences from NWOBHM and some other stuff, and it's one of the early entries into sub-genre to be later known as US Power Metal, which is greatly exemplified by the first track Hawk the Slayer:

It's a great very energetic high-octane mid 80s heavy metal, they released second album too, Protectors Of The Lair in 1986, but it was more thrash metal, and the mixing was quite shit, it's very tinny and thin sounding album, there's remixed version from 2020 but I haven't heard it.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

NME could've been good if they had actual singer. Same goes for Finnish thrash metal band Stone, if they would've had proper singer, they would have been a lot better band:

And yeah, Metallica took that opening tiff for Enter The Sandman, as Get Stone was released a few years before Black Album.

And here's something new for a change, Armored Saint's Lone Wolf from their latest album Punching the Sky released in 2020.

Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Ratcatcher wrote: February 10th, 2023, 21:37
Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

This is cooler, just because they got Orson Welles to do the narration:
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

fork wrote: February 10th, 2023, 21:49
Sub-genres allowed here?

Sub-genres are fine by me.

Shame that Andre Matos died so young, he was a great singer:

There's also full life available:
fork

Post by fork »

Great music, but I just don't enjoy clean vocals in most cases, as good as they might be.
A rare exception:

And Marilyn Manson's and Rob Zombie's guitarist:

aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

Since Dark Tranquility was posted, which is melodic death metal... I'm just gonna post my favorite metal selections in general and not worry about being specifically "heavy metal". Hope that's okay. I'll start with this, which almost defies genre:

Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Just listening to Tesla's The Great Radio Controversy, very good hard rock/borderline heavy metal album from 1989. Afaik they were pretty much unknown here in Finland at the time, only found about them later.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Grand Belial’s Key - Fiscus Judaicus
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Quiet Riot's Metal Health had 40th anniversary yesterday, first heavy metal album to chart as #1 on American album charts, but I think it went mostly unnoticed in here and most of Europe.