We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Banished Vault

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The Banished Vault

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I saw this game and got art-sniped.

Anyone played it? Is it actually fun?
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Need the avatar pack ASAP.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Splattercat played it awhile back, here.

TLDR; looks cool. Very crunchy, heavy on thinking and calculating resource management.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

As in difficult? Or, rugged in terms of atmosphere?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Nemesis wrote: September 13th, 2023, 13:24
As in difficult? Or, rugged in terms of atmosphere?
Extreme difficulty was not the impression I got per se. Only that planning out each stage required a lot of scouting, calculations and some light mental modeling for good chances of success. Think of something along the lines of Elder Signs games, or maybe Talisman.

You are a mega-ship out at the outer reaches of the galaxy, proselytizing. You discover a civilization-level alien threat that is headed towards the galactic core. The ship immediately starts heading back to transmit a warning to humanity of the threat.

Stages are jumps from system to system. Each stage has a turn limit before the unnamed threat overtakes you. Each of your characters needs the materials necessary to activate a personal stasis pod, and the ship needs the materials to make a jump to the next system. In addition the warning must be transmitted in a specific manner which requires the use of special planets over several systems (I believe you need to make four special transmissions to win a session).

There's an in-game, fully illustrated black-and-white manual that's ~60 pages long. There is no tutorial. The interface is lightly skeuomorphic (there's a slide-rulish energy/fuel calculator, for instance).

The art direction is spare, and minimizes color. The map of each system actually looks to me something like what I imagine an astrographic chart would look like in a 40K-ish universe. It's great imo. Splattercat wanted full color and less skeuomorphism, I disagree heavily. He also thought the art style was inspired by HR Giger, I didn't get that impression at all (but others more knowledgeable may correct me on this).

Now that I've rewatched the video I might just go ahead and buy it tbh.

Edit: Elder Signs. SIGNS. Not Scrolls.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

I could ignore the lisp until 11:27. What a shame; the game looked like it had potential.

Last edited by Hauberk on February 21st, 2024, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Hauberk wrote: February 21st, 2024, 17:31
I could ignore the lisp until 11:27. What a shame; the game looked like it had potential.

I'm going to throw up