We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy — Fantasy RPG from ATOM devs

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
agentorange

Swordhaven: Iron Conspiracy — Fantasy RPG from ATOM devs

Post by agentorange »

Didn't see a thread so. ATOM devs working on a new RPG, get hype!

There isn't much info but it looks to be fantasy, unless it's some kind of far future post-collapse setting where things go back to being like the middle ages kind of setting.

Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 4th, 2024, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Apparently it's gonna be a low-fantasy turn based rpg with full party control. And you'll be using "historical European martial arts" skills in combat.

So, something like a medieval AoD/Dungeon Rats?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: September 12th, 2023, 08:27
And you'll be using "historical European martial arts" skills in combat.
I'm curious what and how they plan to implement this. Are they just talking about properly animating how (we think) European soldiers fought in the Middle Ages? Are they going to be introducing mechanics such as half-swording, or being able to rotate a poleaxe so you can use the hammer/axe or beak, or perhaps they mean tackling and wrestling?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

gerey wrote: September 12th, 2023, 09:53
wndrbr wrote: September 12th, 2023, 08:27
And you'll be using "historical European martial arts" skills in combat.
I'm curious what and how they plan to implement this. Are they just talking about properly animating how (we think) European soldiers fought in the Middle Ages? Are they going to be introducing mechanics such as half-swording, or being able to rotate a poleaxe so you can use the hammer/axe or beak, or perhaps they mean tackling and wrestling?
Well, Trudograd had some good animations to be fair.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

A sneak peek from our new game's first location—a secluded forest trail leading to a fishing village. WIP, naturally.
Hello, friends! Here's an in-game art preview for one of the location maps, along with a screenshot. Please keep in mind that everything you see is a work in progress.
Image Image

also Atomboy says the game's setting will be similar to Conan/Battle Brothers/the Golden Age of Berserk, and will have a fairly diverse set of fantasy creatures. It will not be a hard historical rpg like KCD.
Last edited by wndrbr on November 2nd, 2023, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Oh boy.. I always wanted to play a stinky polish farmer in a BG1 clone.

Post by 1998 »

Not a fan of that rtwp/TB hybrid approach, but Trudograd was too good to not be hyped now.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

As long as they don't self-cuck it will be great
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 14:44
well they stopped posting news on their VK page back in 2022, changed Russian flag on their site to the cucked white-blue-white one, and already stated that this game will only have one language (English), and others will be added depending on how many times it was wishlisted.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

wndrbr wrote: February 9th, 2024, 09:03
Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 14:44
well they stopped posting news on their VK page back in 2022, changed Russian flag on their site to the cucked white-blue-white one, and already stated that this game will only have one language (English), and others will be added depending on how many times it was wishlisted.
Russian libs are notoriously cowardly, so if Russia wins before the game is released then they'll probably switch back.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

ATOM team isn't Russian, only a couple of the developers are from there. Their only statement on the war was that they were being impacted by it, and oppose war, which still caused butthurt.
Fun fact, some ATOM devs worked on the Boiling Point: Road to Hell/White Gold/Precursors.
wndrbr wrote: February 9th, 2024, 09:03
and already stated that this game will only have one language (English),
Good.
Localizations are a complete waste of time and resources, >90% of the target audience is proficient in English.
Element

Post by Element »

Although the Ru sales were always pretty high for RPGs according to the data that Iron towers released, but with the exchange rate what it is it's probably not worth it
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I wonder how close it will be related to the non-bhaalspawn BG1 plot considering it's called "Iron conspiracy"
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 4th, 2024, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:18
I wonder how close it will be related to the non-bhaalspawn BG1 plot considering it's called "Iron conspiracy"
TBH, I would have been happier with the BG and BG2 games if they didn't have the Bhaalspawn plot at all. Yes, this would destroy 2 as it is now, but I don't care. That game was basically on rails and annoyed me as a result.
I just want to form my crew and go exploring, dungeon raiding, and maybe take out a few bad guys, like I do in a TTRPG.
Where I also don't want a narrative story. There can be a vague point, and an overarching bad guy plot, fine, but I don't ever want to be told how to proceed with my adventure.
Think of The Caves of Chaos, or even The Lost Mine of Phandelver.
You can have a fine time roaming around Neverwinter and never bother going to Phandelver, because it's just there as a possible source of loot and adventure. It's not particularly important.

If you're gonna tell a story, then do it like The Witcher, where the MC is written into the story as an integral, central part. And the story is actually engaging.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Emphyrio wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:36
How can they think something so dull will sell the game?
They're not at that part yet.
These are development screens.
They just want you to know what they're working on and give a general idea of the style.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:36
:sleepy:

How can they think something so dull will sell the game?
I'd have already preordered if they accepted it.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Rand wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:39
TBH, I would have been happier with the BG and BG2 games if they didn't have the Bhaalspawn plot at all. Yes, this would destroy 2 as it is now, but I don't care. That game was basically on rails and annoyed me as a result.
I just want to form my crew and go exploring, dungeon raiding, and maybe take out a few bad guys, like I do in a TTRPG.
Where I also don't want a narrative story. There can be a vague point, and an overarching bad guy plot, fine, but I don't ever want to be told how to proceed with my adventure.
Think of The Caves of Chaos, or even The Lost Mine of Phandelver.
You can have a fine time roaming around Neverwinter and never bother going to Phandelver, because it's just there as a possible source of loot and adventure. It's not particularly important.

If you're gonna tell a story, then do it like The Witcher, where the MC is written into the story as an integral, central part. And the story is actually engaging.
Removing the bhaalspawn plot would have been easy. bg2 had very little to do with the bhaalspawn thing until the expansion. The sidequests are all random and unrelated, and every chance to use them to reinforce bhaalspawn themes are missed. Even Irenicus is just a bunch of eclectic crap. He could have kidnapped you for any reason. His backstory is a non-sequiter. He could have been any wizard.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

There was a mod I played back around 2008 or so that made all iron weapons have a chance to break, and removed some of the early magical weapons. That was a good mod.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: March 4th, 2024, 10:03
There was a mod I played back around 2008 or so that made all iron weapons have a chance to break, and removed some of the early magical weapons. That was a good mod.
Don't all iron weapons have a chance to break until you solve the crisis anyways?
And yes, I think BG1 would have been better without the Bhaalspawn plot at all tbh.