We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Last Movie You Saw + Rating

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
agentorange

Last Movie You Saw + Rating

Post by agentorange »

Post the last movie(s) you saw and rate them on a scale of 1 to 5.

Hellrasier 2
4/5
One of those rare sequels that is as good or nearly as good as the original. Best part is that it does something very different than the first film rather than being a retread, which is especially rare for a horror film. The visuals of the Labyrinth are some of the top tier in film effects. I also like that the movie expands on the background of the Cenobites but doesn't outright explain anything and introduces new enigmas.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Babylon (2022)
7/10

Very good drama and swansong about the hellhole that is Hollywood. Plays in the 1920s and early 30s and how it devours people. The most magical place indeed.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Rewatched "Aguirre, The Wrath of God" yesterday. Magical film.

Got me into wanting to check more media about the exploration of South America. Maybe I should finally play "Expeditions: Conquistador".
viata

Post by viata »

Taking about movies you've watched always tend to include spoiler, so avoid any of my posts on this thread if you don't like spoilers.

Watched Bride of Frankenstein(1935) with gf.
It was meh. The movie is called the Bride of Frankenstein, but the credits got it right calling it "The Monster's mate".
Not only the movie introduced a shitty character(the villain), it also made the monster be some dumb retard(then again, I believe every Frankenstein's movie does that, sadly).
There is a part where the villain shows Frankenstein his collection of homunculi and that scene was so shit, so out of place I wondered if some producer asked the director to add that. And it is never mentioned again, too.
The movie takes some parts from the book and makes it even worse(like the monster meeting the blind old man), although in this movie they decided to make the monster speak(something that I believe other movies hardly do, despite the monster knowing how to speak quite well in the book).
A telephone shows up almost at the end of the movie and neither Frankenstein nor his wife find it weird that there is a mechanism that allows them to speak so far away from each other. Wikipedia says the movie takes place in 1899, but that makes no sense since the movie starts with Mary Shelley telling the sequel for the Frankenstein's movie of 1931 to Lord Byron and her husband and so must be at most 1818, the year Shelley released the book.
The Bride only appears at the very end of the movie and it was also dumb because her reaction when looking at the monster is the reaction of every woman: she screams. It's dumb because for a being that was just created(or born), it makes no sense that it would have any concept of good/ugly.(Apparently, her reaction made her an icon of feminism for refusing to accept the monster).
It was a waste of my time. Also, avoid the wikipedia page, it has a fucking essay on "queer interpretations for the movie" just because the director apparently liked to suck cocks.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

But it's nonsensical by design, it's a movie about a character who loses his grip on reality.

People tend to rave about Christian Bale losing weight for this film, but imo the actual best thing about The Machinist is the direction. It's the kind of film that makes you creeped out and unsettled despite it not going full horror, a slow and broody fever dream. There aren't all that many thrillers that successfully pull off that kind of atmosphere. Angel's Heart, Jacob's Ladder, Session 9, Mullholand Drive... maybe some Polanski stuff? Idk.

Shame about Brad Anderson, looks like he completely lost it after failure of Vanishing on the 7th street, the man just doing mercenary work for tv now. Well, sometimes people have a limited amount of creative energy, maybe he only had two great films in him.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

wndrbr wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:10

Got me into wanting to check more media about the exploration of South America. Maybe I should finally play "Expeditions: Conquistador".
The local tribe allegedly offered to kill Kinski for the director Herzog, I can't remember where I read this though.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Griffin wrote: February 10th, 2023, 15:55
wndrbr wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:10
The local tribe allegedly offered to kill Kinski for the director Herzog, I can't remember where I read this though.
yah, i read about that too, iirc Herzog himself said that in his "My Best Fiend" documentary. Kinski was a wild mofo.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

@fork Herzog's shittalk only made Kinski seem cooler.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Let Us Prey (2014)
3/5

A group of sleazy Scottish cops have a rough night when a mystical stranger pops into town. I get the impression the Irish director doesn't think much of Scots. Edgy and stylish (especially for its obviously tight budget). I dug the original song they made for it as well.

Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Bullet train 7/10
Fast and furious 9? I dont know, space one 5/10
fork

Post by fork »

Train to Busan (2016)
Pretty entertaining take on the Zombie-Apocalypse from Korea. A bit too modern (Hollywood style, CGI...), but still worth watching imo. 6.5/10

Backcountry (2014)
Adventure-Survival from Canada. Pretty mediocre, but the bear-scenes build up to somewhat of a horror-climax. It's downhill from there. If you're into somewhat realistic horror with a lot of current-year shit dragging it down (the strong female character in the last third for example), it's worth a wath. 5/10, maybe 6/10 for the horrific bear scene.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Lhynn wrote: February 11th, 2023, 20:32
Bullet train 7/10
This was good but could've been 20 minutes shorter.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

A Thousand Junkies (2018)
3/5

Three broke addicts in LA go through a day-long ordeal trying to acquire drugs and money to buy drugs. These guys are funny and also insufferable cyclones of disaster, inflicting financial and emotional hardship on everyone in their orbit. Doesn't overstay its welcome at an hour and fifteen minutes, minus credits. A well-done crowdfunded project.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Recently rewatched Project A-ko since it got a remaster and it's one of my favorites from my childhood. It's about the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman fighting off an alien invasion. It mostly exists to parody other anime from the 80s and to give the viewer their fill of panty shots. It also makes troons extremely mad for reasons I won't spoil. 8/10

I couldn't find a trailer in English, but I don't think the language barrier is a big deal for this one:
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

wndrbr wrote: February 10th, 2023, 16:12
@fork Herzog's shittalk only made Kinski seem cooler.
He also caused trouble in Fitzcarraldo and Cobra Verde. (both great films, by the way). I think the worst film I watched from Herzog was his homage to Nosferatu, and even that film is better than 90% of what I've watched in the last two decades.
Last edited by Suissant on February 15th, 2023, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hando

Post by Hando »

Finna watch VIOLENT COP (1989) with @Kalin tonight. Will drop a review later
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Hando wrote: February 16th, 2023, 12:05
Not to oversell it, but it has one of the funniest slow car chase scenes of all time.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Roguey wrote: February 16th, 2023, 14:35
Not to oversell it, but it has one of the funniest slow car chase scenes of all time.
i thought the whole movie is very funny. Except for the ending.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

wndrbr wrote: February 16th, 2023, 14:42
now i'm imagining you giggling like a deranged maniac while the main character's sister is drugged and raped repeatedly
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Maggot wrote: February 16th, 2023, 15:10
wndrbr wrote: February 16th, 2023, 14:42

now i'm imagining you giggling like a deranged maniac while the main character's sister is drugged and raped repeatedly
that was a part of the ending.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

Saw The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart, it's a solid adventure movie where Bogie plays a very different character from his usual self. A surprising amount of the film was in Spanish which makes me curious as to how much of the plot can be understood without knowing the language and just looking at the visual cues on screen.
viata

Post by viata »

Watched:

Bell, Book and Candle(1958) with gf.
6/10. It was ok. Nothing much to say but the movie a nice cat.

Utamaro and His Five Women(1946) with gf.
8/10. Nice Japanese movie. Despite the title, none of those women were really his. Utamaro was a Japanese artist and some of the five women in the movie are his inspirations for his works. It's 5 women, but only 3 really have an impact in his work, one of the other 2 women have some importance in the plot and the fifth women is just there for no reason at all.
An interesting moment is when the artist is arrested. He is sentenced to 50 days in handcuffs and so unable to draw anything. The first thing he does when his sentence ends is to go back to drawing.

Universal Soldier(1992) alone:
10/10. Yeah, I missed this kind of high test movie. I want to go back to watch these kind of movies by myself. Just violence and hot women, not complex plot or anything. The kind of movie that makes you want to beat some annoying people, go hit the gym, or just have your test increase just by watching it. Will probably download more Van Damme's movies because I like this guy.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me (1993)
3/5

A criminal accidentally shoots his crazy fiancee at the altar and lays low at a trailer park where he has to put up with other crazy women and grooms an also-crazy-but-slightly-less-so 16 year old (played by a young-looking 26 year old). Hilarious trashy nonsense. I miss the 90s.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

agentorange wrote: February 7th, 2023, 07:21
Hellrasier 2
4/5
One of those rare sequels that is as good or nearly as good as the original. Best part is that it does something very different than the first film rather than being a retread, which is especially rare for a horror film. The visuals of the Labyrinth are some of the top tier in film effects. I also like that the movie expands on the background of the Cenobites but doesn't outright explain anything and introduces new enigmas.
It's excellent and I think it's actually superior to the first film. Truly the exception that proves the rule.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Maggot wrote: February 21st, 2023, 14:47
Saw The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart, it's a solid adventure movie where Bogie plays a very different character from his usual self. A surprising amount of the film was in Spanish which makes me curious as to how much of the plot can be understood without knowing the language and just looking at the visual cues on screen.
► Show Spoiler
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The Wanderers (1979)
3/5

Italian boomers come of age in early 1960s New York, dealing with family drama, girl drama, and gang drama with rival Italians, blacks, and frightening zombie-like Irish. A series of largely funny vignettes with an extremely 60s soundtrack.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Candy Land

A story about lot lizards and cults. Somewhat original but doesn't do anything interesting. 4/10

A Knock at the Door

Movie seems to be anti-fag so I will give it a 10/10 even though it was boring M. Night Streetshitter crap.

The Whale

Brandon Frasier makes the movie watchable. It would otherwise be impossible for me to sympathise with a gay fatty. The filmmaking and acting elevate it. 7/10
SDG

Post by SDG »

The Devil and the Blacksmith

Interesting premise. It would have benefitted from being more grimdark. The kiddy humor and Disney feelgood shit felt out of place. Good looking movie and well acted considering the low budget. 6/10.

Speak No Evil

Quite possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen. The protagonists deserved everything that happened to them, the stupid mother fuckers. 0/10

Infinity Pool

Pretty disappointing considering how much I loved little Cronenberg's last movie Possessor. This one wasn't horrible, just very forgettable and pointless. 5/10
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

M3GAN
Young girl's parents die in accident, she gets a prototype AI doll to cope from her new aunt.
Aside from the usual poz (empowrred woman) it's actually a very good horror movie for the most part. First 30 minutes are a bit annoying but after that it picks up.

7/10
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thor Kaufman wrote: April 7th, 2023, 03:49
M3GAN
Young girl's parents die in accident, she gets a prototype AI doll to cope from her new aunt.
Aside from the usual poz (empowrred woman) it's actually a very good horror movie for the most part. First 30 minutes are a bit annoying but after that it picks up.

7/10
M3GAN was entertaining. Check out the Orphan movies. They're better overall movies but still goofy and fun in a similar way. I actually loved them.