We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Last Movie You Saw + Rating

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

wndrbr wrote: July 18th, 2023, 23:00
Gunnar wrote: July 18th, 2023, 21:53
I watched Mad God, pretty much a must see for the quality visuals made with physical effects, otherwise surrealist though some might enjoy unravelling the plot.
there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Trump+Putin sex scene in the middle. Completely ruined my immersion.
That reminds me of a guy I know not watching The Dead Don't Die (probably Murray's last good movie before he dies) because some guy was wearing a Trump hat and treated like a retard in the movie.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I watched Mad God, pretty much a must see for the quality visuals made with physical effects, otherwise surrealist though some might enjoy unravelling the plot.
there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Trump+Putin sex scene in the middle. Completely ruined my immersion.
Ah, I noticed it but I couldn't tell who it was supposed to be. It's hard to imagine the mental illness required to put something like that into the movie that you otherwise spent 20 years of effort putting together. Interesting as I also noted an underlying theme of nihilism and moral relativism that is typical of leftist hollywood types they put into movies all the time. I still think it's worth it for the visuals.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

Protector (2005) - 8/10

Compared to Ong Bak, Tony Jaa's previous flick, the lows are lower, but the highs are much higher. It goes for a bigger scale, and there are parts of it that are poorly executed (but sincere enough to be halfway endearing). When Tony Jaa goes berserk, though, he's a sight to behold. The new fight scenes are longer and give him more environmental props to flex his acrobatic skills with. Regardless of how you feel about the general shoddiness of the film, these scenes make it worth a watch. They're given sufficient context, the story isn't that different from Ong Bak. The only difference is that the new villains are chinese and therefore easier to hate.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Seven years in Tibet (1997)

I liked the first half where it's just Brad Pitt and David Thewlis climbing mountains, escaping british prisons, surviving in the wild, and having funny interactions with the Tibetans. Felt very "the man who would be king"-like. Once they arrived in Lhasa proper and met with Tibetan officials, the movie got boring. Great visuals though, worth watching for that alone.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

The Number 23 (2007)

An obscure psychological thriller starring Jim Carrey. I've personally known about it for years but never saw it until just recently. The plot starts off interesting, we see the character of Walter (Carrey), a more-or-less average guy, come across his wife at a book store, reading a red book after arriving late. This book is entitled "The Number 23" and is written by an unknown author. As he reads it he discovers that it mirrors a lot of his own life, and starts to realise that a lot of names and dates and things he knows add up to or equal the number 23, just as the main character in the book realizes it also. As he reads more and more, he grows unhinged and becomes determined to find out what the number means and who wrote the book.

But as the film carries on, the film sort of loses itself. It starts to meander more and the mystery starts to lose it's edge. Carrey is pretty good in the film, and the cinematography is unique and well done, but it isn't enough to save the film from being any more than a 6/10 for me. Above average. There was also a lot of pointless sex scenes added, typical for Hollywood, and some scenes involving suicide and moral relativist musings here and there.
► Show Spoiler
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Two Evil Eyes (1990) by George Romero and Dario Argento. If that does not lure you in how does Harvey Keitel, Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, and Madeleine Potter sound? It goes light on the gore until it really matters which was great. I thought the first one was going to be the winner but the second clearly is the better story...granted it borrowed from Poe. The first story could have been on Tales from the Crypt and likely was in some form or another due to how those tropes work. Just don't spoil yourself on any of the scenes by watching a fucking trailer for crying out loud.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Gunnar wrote: July 18th, 2023, 23:15
Ah, I noticed it but I couldn't tell who it was supposed to be. It's hard to imagine the mental illness required to put something like that into the movie that you otherwise spent 20 years of effort putting together. Interesting as I also noted an underlying theme of nihilism and moral relativism that is typical of leftist hollywood types they put into movies all the time. I still think it's worth it for the visuals.
TDS is a savage disease
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

The Thing - 4/5

Solid Movie. i enjoyed the special effects. can't really say anything else since everything good about the movie has been said and reiterated.

Robocop - 4.5/5

rewatchedit after a really long time (10+ years). A really good action movie. all the action sequences were fun. The satire, which might have been a little on the nose when it released, doesn't even feel like satire anymore in the current year.

Cure - 5/5

this one is genuinely one of the scarriest movies i've watched and shocked me with how good it was. from the start you can sense a tension in the atmosphere that doesn't dissipate but rather it lingers and gets intensified as the movie goes on. Its scary without relying on cheap tricks. The framing, composition, and the subtle droning of machinery and other noises on the background manages to make even daytime scenes opressive. The theme of the movie is executed perfectly. its been a month since and i can't stop thinking about the movie. it manged to make me a little paranoid lol.
Last edited by SiMtRy on November 10th, 2023, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Terminator 2. 5/5
Never needed to watch another movie again.

I hear James Cameron is still making movies. Are they good?
I hear... things.
Last edited by Rand on November 10th, 2023, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Acrux wrote: May 29th, 2023, 06:36
Sneakers is the best hacking movie. Nothing else even comes close.
-edit- wait, I was confused. Is that the one with ancient looking Robert Redford?
Last edited by Rand on November 12th, 2023, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... lack-hole/
The Marvels review: The Marvel Cinematic Universe disappears up its own black hole

Pity Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris and Samuel L Jackson. This is a solid contender for the worst Marvel film yet
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The Killer (2023)

Killer bungles up a job, gets double-crossed, and has to go after his employer. That's it. There's probably some consumerism critique going on in the background, but i'm dumb so i never pick up on such details. Other than that it's a very by the numbers contract killer flick, but has excellent production because Fincher.

I liked how the main character is basically a corny sigma male edgelord (during one of his internal monologues he even calls other people 'normies'). Literally me.

Check out if you enjoy those hired killer films, there's plenty of 'killer meticulously prepares a hit', 'killer goes through a routine', 'killer observes his target', etc scenes.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

The_Mask wrote: November 11th, 2023, 03:28
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... lack-hole/
The Marvels review: The Marvel Cinematic Universe disappears up its own black hole

Pity Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris and Samuel L Jackson. This is a solid contender for the worst Marvel film yet
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I want The Mummy 1, but every marvel movie is The Mummy 2.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

wndrbr wrote: November 11th, 2023, 14:54
The Killer (2023)

Killer bungles up a job, gets double-crossed, and has to go after his employer. That's it. There's probably some consumerism critique going on in the background, but i'm dumb so i never pick up on such details. Other than that it's a very by the numbers contract killer flick, but has excellent production because Fincher.

I liked how the main character is basically a corny sigma male edgelord (during one of his internal monologues he even calls other people 'normies'). Literally me.

Check out if you enjoy those hired killer films, there's plenty of 'killer meticulously prepares a hit', 'killer goes through a routine', 'killer observes his target', etc scenes.
for some reason i thought it was gonna be something like le samourai lol. i watched the trailer for the killer and was somewhat disapointed.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997)​
3/5

Based on a short story written in the 50s but not published until the 80s, a damaged, attractive, and incestuous brother/sister couple try to scam their way into a fortune while avoiding trouble. It meanders a bit, and the dialogue is mixed way too low (turning it up so I can hear it makes the music and sound effects too loud for my liking), but it's a nice small town noir with some well-done pay-offs.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

The Road to El Dorado

8/10

Why did this movie perform so badly when it came out? Very good ripoff of The Man Who Would Be King. Marked down because the 4th act was a bit tacked on. Adventurers are never allowed to keep their material rewards.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

It's a series, but whatever, Babylon Berlin (S1E4).
Top tier kino so far. There's something about it that gives it a sense of it being kina low budget, idk, maybe it's the color palette they went with, should have been darker imo or maybe the camera sucks.
But everything else is top notch, I don't think I've ever seen an era recreated with such authenticity in any medium. I have no idea what late 20s Berlin was like, but I'd imagine it was pretty close to the show.
8/10.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

I don't watch movies that often, but from the ones I watched in the past I do recommend Others (2001)

A good horror (or thriller, depends) with a great plot twist.

As any horror fan, I have to swim through shit to find a gold nugget.
And Others is one of those gold nuggets.

I wish I could erase the ending from my memory and watch it again.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Kill Me Again (1989)
3/5

Another fine southwestern neo-noir where a bunch of midwits and dimwits try to outwit each other and make a ton of mistakes along the way. A dry comedy of errors.
Element

Post by Element »

The Prestige
4/5

One of Nolan's more convoluted films in the vein of Memento and Inception, but better than both of those imo. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman star as two stage magicians in 19th century London whose rivalry explodes into an obsession. The last third of the film veers unpredictably into strange territory, and there's a lot of questions left unanswered. The more perceptive viewer might spot a lot of inconsistencies there, and wonder if the superficial narrative is akin to a magic trick with a logical explanation behind it.

-1 for casting Bale. Good actor, but looked a bit out of place here.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: November 17th, 2023, 23:07
I don't watch movies that often, but from the ones I watched in the past I do recommend Others (2001)

A good horror (or thriller, depends) with a great plot twist.

As any horror fan, I have to swim through shit to find a gold nugget.
And Others is one of those gold nuggets.

I wish I could erase the ending from my memory and watch it again.
Try watching The Innocents (1961) if you haven't.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I watched Schramm (1993). A film about a lonely man who kills/abuses people and mutilates himself, shot from unconventional angles, and not linearly structured. I'd watch it again.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Rewatched Fury Road. It continues to be a very good movie. The war boys rule. Furiosa is swell, but why the fuck would I want to watch a prequel about her?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Watched the 1960 Abel Gance Austerlitz movie as I've been going through a slew of Napoleon films to wash the taste of the recent slop out of my mouth. Pretty enjoyable film, it's always nice to see a genuine French portrayal of such an incredible hero of the French people. It's not as iconic as the 1927 silent film but it's still very good.
I wish more historical films would make use of multiple languages/accents like this film instead of the anglocentric crap where every one from 6000BC to modern day talks with a british accent.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

The Love Witch. Beautiful movie, except for a couple of gross scenes. Don't believe anything you see that says it's "feminist". It's feminist like Starship Troopers is anti-fascist.
Last edited by Emphyrio on January 4th, 2024, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

It's a 10 out a 10! It's a kaiju Godzilla movie, do I really need to say anything else?

somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

No Country for Old Men (2007)

8/10 - It's the best movie I've seen in quite some time. I regret not watching it sooner.
Element

Post by Element »

Chinatown (1974)
► Show Spoiler
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I'm going to cheat a little - the movie I'll mention momentarily is not the last one I watched. I first saw it years ago, and rewatched bits of it recently, but wanted to recommend it anyway.

It's called Searching, and was released in 2018.

At its core it's a whodunnit/mystery movie, and the premise is as basic as it sounds - daughter goes missing and father looks for her. The novel aspect is that the POV is the father's computer screen, and only that.

Not only do they do a very good job of conveying a wide variety of events via this POV, but the way the protagonist follows the various breadcrumbs is very logical and consistent - you don't need to be a savant like Sherlock Holmes to follow along, and any time you might go "Aha, I just thought of something clever" the protagonist goes and does it himself. He actually behaves like a thinking human with an IQ above room temperature.

I feel this is main strength of the movie, the ability to present a mystery that audiences can actually follow along and be engaged in, instead of having to wait until the denouement to be spoonfed the answers. Not to say that the story doesn't try to trick you via various red herrings and playing with your assumptions, but you will could never have figured out the mystery yourself.

It's a unique movie in the way it's told, but also the rare mystery story that doesn't need genius detective to explain everything to the audience. If you have two hours to waste give it a try.