We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Last Movie You Saw + Rating

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Sneakers is the best hacking movie. Nothing else even comes close.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I will keep that in mind since I never heard of it.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Can confirm that Sneakers is excellent. The soundtrack is top-notch.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

If you overhype it he won't enjoy it.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Very true. Never say a movie is good because it will ruin it for someone.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

June is going to be a nauseating month when it comes to new movies. I rarely go to the theatre anymore, but I remember a time when the "Summer blockbuster" still existed and some of the best movies ever made were released during the season.

But instead of The Dark Knight, we're getting Nigger Spider-Man 2, Trans "we represent black and latino culture" Formers, a tranny jew who wears red spandex and pretends to run fast, and finally; a washed-up geriatric actor, well passed his expiration date, pretends to be a whip-slinging action hero for the last time. But not even that, since his Britbong nanny will be doing most of the work for him.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 31st, 2023, 04:05
But instead of The Dark Knight...
Marvel has and will always be shit. You're surprised they're putting out a movie like the Spider Man sequel?
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The Pit (1981)​
3/5 with a 1/5 ending

A 12 year old schizo coomer gets bullied, has conversations with his teddy bear, sexually harasses a neighbor and his babysitter, and tries to figure out how to feed the carnivorous monsters living in a hole in the forest. Unfortunately it continues 20 minutes longer than it should and becomes utterly ridiculous, losing track of what it was supposed to be about. Wasn't surprised to read that the original screenplay was sensibly written and it was the dimwitted director who made a bunch of changes for the worse. I saw that there's a novelization that's far closer to the script, so I should get around to reading that eventually.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
3/5

A mentally disabled guy who's been isolated and abused by his mother all his life gets fed up and ventures out into the world, learning to function on his own. Starts out edgy, and gets a bit outlandish, but becomes charming.
KnightoftheWind

Big Fish (2003)

This film tells the story of Edward Bloom, an old charismatic man whose incredible life experiences have shaped him into a fantastical figure, that loves to tell outlandish stories to people. His son William struggles to understand his father’s wild tales while trying to reconcile them with reality. As Edward’s health deteriorates, William sets out to discover the truth behind his father’s larger-than-life narratives and learns to bond with his father by the end. This is one of Tim Burton's finest movies, if not his best work, and there is a lot to dig into here. In many ways, it shares similar themes to "The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen". It could be interpreted as an allegory for the west's rejection of traditional ideas and romanticism, in favor of post-Enlightenment values. The younger and more cynical generations descent into nihilism and apathy, while the older generations slowly die off.

Overall, a 7/10. It's a unique film with a lot of good visuals, but is perhaps held back by an extended runtime.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

Sling Blade (1996)

I always liked Bob Thornton as an actor but had never watched this film that's considered his breakthrough in the industry. I did like his acting, it's subdued, intelligent, melancholic, I would say the exact opposite of something like Sean Penn in I Am Sam (garbage). (4 watermelons out of 5).
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Suissant wrote: June 19th, 2023, 22:09
(4 watermelons out of 5).
Ahem

:4of5:

Those exist for a reason.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Ain't got no gas init/5
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Red Nights (Les nuits rouges du bourreau de jade) (2010)​
3/5

An edgy and stylish but incredibly shallow French-Hong Kong film where a wealthy female Hongkonger murders women in horrific ways and tries to score an ancient poison from a conniving French woman. Loads of gore and full frontal (not from the wealthy murderer though, she wouldn't be proper if she did), ridiculous story.

► Show Spoiler
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Wilczyca (1983)
2.5/5

A Polish period piece that starts with a soldier returning home to find that his wife has taken up worshiping the devil, sleeping around, and dying from a self-induced abortion, but not before swearing a supernatural revenge against him. He then goes on to meet his wife's doppelganger, another man's wife who's openly cuckolding him with her handmaiden and an Austrian soldier. She's also a werewolf. While all that's interesting, there's unfortunately not enough material here for an hour and forty minute movie and it's filled with a whole lot of padding. It would have made a fine 20-40 minute tv episode though.

Some amusing things I picked up: a) I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but the part where the Polish soldiers come across a lynching victim and one simply reacts with "What a shame. He was a decent Jew." was a laugh riot b) Between the warring and the disloyal women, being a Pole in the 19th century was utterly miserable.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Nefarious (2023)
10/10 easily

One of the best movies I saw in recent years, probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is about demonic possession.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I watched Sisu, it has some good visual storytelling and action scenes, a fun watch. would recommend.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Sound of Freedom. Just a guy trying to find 2 kids. 10/10. I left the theatre actually feeling something, for once.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

The Flash - even if somehow you like Batman 89 you will still not enjoy this movie. If you want some random goofy easter eggs then you can see those on Youtube.

5/10 Please kill Ezra Miller before he kills some chick.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

General Reign wrote: July 18th, 2023, 04:49
The Flash - even if somehow you like Batman 89 you will still not enjoy this movie. If you want some random goofy easter eggs then you can see those on Youtube.

A random CW tv show with a 5 dollar budget was capable of casting a perfect Barry Allen, but a Hollywood production with an infinite budget somehow managed to make one of the worst picks possible. Seems legit.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Sad but true. Grant was pretty good on a shitty CW show for 4 seasons (really if you wanna stickler it at least the 1st season is basically perfect for what it is) until they took all the money.

My favorite part was seeing the 90's Flash.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Gunnar wrote: July 17th, 2023, 16:43
I watched Sisu, it has some good visual storytelling and action scenes, a fun watch. would recommend.
Do Finns have a lot of ww2 movies? I just want eastern front kino, we don't have any in the US.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 18th, 2023, 04:53

A random CW tv show with a 5 dollar budget was capable of casting a perfect Barry Allen, but a Hollywood production with an infinite budget somehow managed to make one of the worst picks possible. Seems legit.
Grant Gustin wasn't a great Flash, just serviceable at best. The Flash as he's depicted in most drawings is supposed to be tall, muscular and with blonde hair. Ironically a secondary character in the TV show would've made a better Flash except for his voice which I remember sounded very gay. The CW is pretty gay all around, which is to be expected, and they race-swapped Iris and her entire family too. So it was never Based, just more tolerable than this film which I give a 3/10. I had the misfortune of seeing it in theatres to pass time in-between other things.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

maidenhaver wrote: July 18th, 2023, 19:57
Gunnar wrote: July 17th, 2023, 16:43
Do Finns have a lot of ww2 movies? I just want eastern front kino, we don't have any in the US.
I have no idea what Finns do and I don’t care. In this movie buddy slits a guys throat underwater and breathes in the oxygen bubbles released to stay underwater longer. Thats the kind of creative thinking i like to see in an action scene.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What are some eastern front movies from your homeland Nigeria, then?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 18th, 2023, 20:09
rusty_shackleford wrote: July 18th, 2023, 04:53

Grant Gustin wasn't a great Flash, just serviceable at best. The Flash as he's depicted in most drawings is supposed to be tall, muscular and with blonde hair. Ironically a secondary character in the TV show would've made a better Flash except for his voice which I remember sounded very gay. The CW is pretty gay all around, which is to be expected, and they race-swapped Iris and her entire family too. So it was never Based, just more tolerable than this film which I give a 3/10. I had the misfortune of seeing it in theatres to pass time in-between other things.
Hey man it was great for him just to be a fucking white guy and not some nigger for no reason. Him looking just like Barry Allen was not important. Besides Michael Rosenbaum played the best Flash on the animated version...

Wally West being black actually made sense on the show. I would NEVER call it based though. There was tons of CW gay shit that is not in the newest show Superman and Lois...because CW is not actually producing that. Either way CW is strictly for lower grade shows with teeny bopper style writing.

I will say I like Iris and her dad being black because it made Barry moving in with them seem more interesting. However they never played up the differences between black and white parents in the show so they failed at that. That being said Iris is the worst character on the show and probably not as bad in the comics which I have just started reading thanks to library genesis.

Made for kids/10

Edit: I said Wally being black is good because Wally is just a red haired Barry Allen and boring as fuck normally without his hair popping out of his suit to differentiate the two.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I watched Mad God, pretty much a must see for the quality visuals made with physical effects, otherwise surrealist though some might enjoy unravelling the plot.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Gunnar wrote: July 18th, 2023, 21:53
I watched Mad God, pretty much a must see for the quality visuals made with physical effects, otherwise surrealist though some might enjoy unravelling the plot.
there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Trump+Putin sex scene in the middle. Completely ruined my immersion.