We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Card Games with HQsers

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Card Games with HQsers

Post by WhiteShark »

I've been getting into card games again lately but I don't have many opportunities to play locally. I could play against randoms online, but I'd rather play with you guys.

Games

Pixel Tactics

Tabletop Simulator Mod
Rulebook (very slightly out of date)
Card Reference

This is my current obsession. Each player has a 3x3 grid. The center is occupied by his Leader and he recruits Heroes to fight in the other slots. The object is to kill the enemy Leader. Each card has five different modes with varying abilities: Leader (only one Leader per player per game), Hero with a different ability depending on whether it is in Vanguard/Flank/Rear (front/middle/back), and a one-use effect if played as an Order instead of recruited as a Hero.

The game certainly lives up to its name in terms of tactics. I've done some practice games against myself that seriously pushed my decision-making abilities. I've had loads of fun even with just the premade decks, but it has a Constructed mode too. Technically playable with four and even six players, though I've never tried it. I'm happy to teach anybody who wants to play.

Android: Netrunner

Jinteki (web client)
Rules
Automated Tutorial
Video Tutorial

This is an asymmetrical game in which one player plays as the Corp, who scores points by advancing Agendas, and the other plays as the Runner, who scores points by hacking the Corp's servers and stealing its Agendas. The game involves a great deal of hidden information as the Corp can protect its Agendas with potentially deadly ICE, but the Runner can't know what sort of ICE it is until he encounters it during a Run.

I've heard great things about this game and I've wanted to get into it for a long time. I learned the basic rules but I've only gotten to play half a real game so far. Would love to try this with an HQser, especially if there's someone here who can teach me a thing or two about how to play.

Spent an evening playing this with a friend using some starter decklists I found online. Very fun, very heavy on the mindgames. I played the Corp, meaning I was the one laying the traps and trying to hide my Agendas, and it was really interesting to observe how my opponent got better at reading me. After a couple games he would often predict my traps, but then after another couple games, I was able to counter by making him think my assets were traps so he would leave them alone even when they were defenseless. I'm still no expert, but I believe I can explain the game reasonably well at this point.

Ashes: Reborn

Ashteki (web client)
How to Play

...Ok, I haven't actually picked this one up yet and I don't know much about it, but I hear it's good both with premades and in Constructed, and I know that you get to freely choose your opening hand, which is an interesting mechanic. I intend to learn it anyway but I would be extra motivated if someone wanted to try it with me.

Anything Else

Generally speaking, if you're willing to teach and there's a way to play online, I'm in. I know how to play Magic, but I'm not really interested unless someone hands me a premade. I used to play the official digital Shadowverse game, so I guess if there's a way to play that outside the official client, we could do that. I'm pretty interested in the other dead LCGs like the Warhammer one and L5R. Whatever works.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Got a couple good games of Pixel Tactics in with @Kalarion earlier. He picked it up right quick. That was actually my first time using TTS for a real game but it went smoothly. When I was first messing with it I thought it might feel a lot less convenient than playing in person, but it was actually alright. I'd say examining cards text is very slightly more cumbersome than it would be in real life, but only barely. That may even go away as I get more used to it.

Thanks again for the games, Kalarion. Hit me up on IRC when you can/want to play again. I promise I won't pick the broken Leader again.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Race for the Galaxy is good and the hard AI is good
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 12:58
Does that mean you'll play it with me?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: September 6th, 2023, 13:29
Emphyrio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 12:58
Does that mean you'll play it with me?
Yeah but I have it on my phone. I don't know if the phone version can multiplay with the pc version.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 14:52
Yeah but I have it on my phone. I don't know if the phone version can multiplay with the pc version.
So, the good news (for you) is that it does have crossplay. The bad news (for me) is that it seems they have their own custom servers so there's no way to play online with a pirated version. The silver lining news is that we could play it for free on Board Game Arena, though it doesn't have any of the expansions unless you're a premium member.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: September 6th, 2023, 19:21
Emphyrio wrote: September 6th, 2023, 14:52
So, the good news (for you) is that it does have crossplay. The bad news (for me) is that it seems they have their own custom servers so there's no way to play online with a pirated version. The silver lining news is that we could play it for free on Board Game Arena, though it doesn't have any of the expansions unless you're a premium member.
I used to play it on board game arena in 2017. Maybe this saturday.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Sounds good to me. I'll probably be free. I did BGA's tutorial yesterday so I have a vague notion of how to play now. I'm WhiteXhark on BGA.