We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Sea of Stars

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Sea of Stars

Post by Kalarion »

I was surprised there's no thread yet. I'll start.

Bought it a couple days ago. Observations:
PROS
- very good looking.
- encourages interaction with the environment through terrain traversal. Additional methods open up as the game continues, ala old Zelda.
- encourages interaction with the battle system through timed attacks and blocks. I have a really hard time with block timing especially, but that's ok because...
- combat is punchy and appropriately dangerous if you're not making use of your pots and managing MP.
- combo system is simple and fun. Think Chrono Trigger.
- story is simple and unsubverted so far (this may change, there are hints). Two Chosen Ones and their best friend go on an adventure to save the world. Love it.
- the Wheel minigame is fun. It's no arcomage but there's some basic tactics involved.
- Duke Aventry is a trVe Bro.

CONS
- character graphics, esp main characters, look like they were pulled directly from Steven Universe. I call it CalArts sensibility, I don't know if that's the proper descriptive term or not.
- fishing minigame is very shallow, fish don't do anything but provide pot-making ingredients. Breath of Fire III this ain't. Maybe this changes later?
- visual/auditory aids on timed attacks can be misleading. I had a hard time getting the timing down on Moonerang because the visual for deflection didn't match the required timing. In the case of PC skills that's mitigated by the fact you have the entire game to get the rhythm down. However the mismatch is very aggravating for monster attacks, since you've only got until you stop encountering that mob to get the timing correct. I frequently don't.
- a little too ironically meta for its own good. Generally it's just a minor irritation, but sometimes blows up into full rage induction. Especially the pirates. There's a sassy fat black bitch on the crew who starts making derogatory references to common JRPG tropes. It's incredibly annoying. Yes, you dumb faggots, we know JRPGs take silly liberties with reality. Please shut the fuck up, it's not funny.

I'll post more as I get further.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Kalarion wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:19
- story is simple and unsubverted so far (this may change, there are hints).
[...]
- character graphics, esp main characters, look like they were pulled directly from Steven Universe. I call it CalArts sensibility, I don't know if that's the proper descriptive term or not.
[...]
- a little too ironically meta for its own good. Generally it's just a minor irritation, but sometimes blows up into full rage induction. Especially the pirates. There's a sassy fat black bitch on the crew who starts making derogatory references to common JRPG tropes. It's incredibly annoying. Yes, you dumb faggots, we know JRPGs take silly liberties with reality. Please shut the fuck up, it's not funny.
Truly the prophet @aweigh spoke rightly when he said that non-Japs can't make JRPGs because they actually hate JRPGs.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

WhiteShark wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:39
[...]
[...]
Truly the prophet @aweigh spoke rightly when he said that non-Japs can't make JRPGs because they actually hate JRPGs.
Westerners are too obsessed with deconstruction and nihilism to ever capture the spirit of a true JRPG. They think deconstruction and meta-narratives are the peak of literature, and it's simply incompatible with JRPGs.

Also once I saw the character art for Sea of Stars I knew there was no way this was going to be good.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

aweigh wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:49
[...]
[...]
Westerners are too obsessed with deconstruction and nihilism to ever capture the spirit of a true JRPG. They think deconstruction and meta-narratives are the peak of literature, and it's simply incompatible with JRPGs.

Also once I saw the character art for Sea of Stars I knew there was no way this was going to be good.
But deconstruction and nihilism are common tropes in "real" JRPGs. It feels like 90% of them revolve around the Church being evil, and the main protagonist's goal being to destroy or take the place of God. It happened so often when playing older JRPGs I wonder if there was a conspiracy across the industry there to portray these kinds of stories.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:56

But deconstruction and nihilism are common tropes in "real" JRPGs. It feels like 90% of them revolve around the Church being evil, and the main protagonist's goal being to destroy or take the place of God. It happened so often when playing older JRPGs I wonder if there was a conspiracy across the industry there to portray these kinds of stories.
Japs aren't Christians so it doesn't come from the same place as it does when a Western writer does it.
KnightoftheWind

aweigh wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:56
KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 16:56

Japs aren't Christians so it doesn't come from the same place as it does when a Western writer does it.
Exactly, which makes it all the more strange why so many of their JRPGs depict obvious Christian symbolism or Churches. You'd think they would depict their own pagan shrines or buddhist temples, but no, it's always an analogue for the Catholic Church or Christianity as a whole. Even in games that are made for Japanese consumers first-and-foremost, without the expectation of the game ever releasing overseas.

At least these western indie games are operating from a political perspective, not some borderline demonic disdain for Christian teachings as seems to be the case with the Nipponese.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

They use Christian analogues because Christianity is exotic from their perspective and is a rich source of ideas. They don't care enough about Chrstianity to make a game from "some borderline demonic disdain."
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:00
Exactly, which makes it all the more strange why so many of their JRPGs depict obvious Christian symbolism or Churches. You'd think they would depict their own pagan shrines or buddhist temples, but no, it's always an analogue for the Catholic Church or Christianity as a whole. Even in games that are made for Japanese consumers first-and-foremost, without the expectation of the game ever releasing overseas.
To the unevangelized Japanese, Christianity is still just a foreign religion practiced by their conquerors, so it's no surprise that its analogues often become the symbolic target of rebellion. However, to say that they don't depict Shintoism or Buddhism in their media is completely false. They come up all the time. If you haven't seen it, it can only be because you've stuck with Japanese depictions of western fantasy, which of course is going to feature a Church analogue rather than eastern religions.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:00
At least these western indie games are operating from a political perspective, not some borderline demonic disdain for Christian teachings as seems to be the case with the Nipponese.
What? The western "political pespective" is also demonically inspired, and worse than Japan's because the westerners have grown up in the context of a nominally Christian culture that they rebel against.
KnightoftheWind

Dead wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:06
They use Christian analogues because Christianity is exotic from their perspective and is a rich source of ideas. They don't care enough about Chrstianity to make a game from "some borderline demonic disdain."
You're misrepresenting my comment. I'm saying that with how often Japanese developers demonize Christianity, it feels like it's being animated by dark forces. They approach their subversion the same way a western bugman or academia would, which is strange given their distant and very reserved culture. Law of averages would state that at least some JRPGs would depict the Church positively, but I have yet to play a single one that does so. If they were truly intrigued by Christian teachings out of a desire to learn "exotic" things, you'd think some would actually choose to convert out of genuine faith. But none seem to do so. It's only ever subversion, nothing else. If there are games that prove me wrong, I'd love to know.

I get the same impression from modern Hollywood too, of course. Given how "weird" every new film and TV show has gotten, and not just because of wokeism. Our media has gotten more vile and disgusting in it's imagery and themes.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:19
But none seem to do so. It's only ever subversion, nothing else. If there are games that prove me wrong, I'd love to know.
Most Dragon Quest games
Bravely Default
Actraiser
Shining Force

That's with about 90 seconds of thinking.
KnightoftheWind

Acrux wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:28
KnightoftheWind wrote: September 1st, 2023, 17:19
But none seem to do so. It's only ever subversion, nothing else. If there are games that prove me wrong, I'd love to know.
Most Dragon Quest games
Bravely Default
Actraiser
Shining Force

That's with about 90 seconds of thinking.
Only played Shining Force from that list, and don't remember much of the plot.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

The Church is always good in Castlevania. I killed Dracula with a crucifix in Symphony of the Night.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

The goal of jrpgs and anime was to attract boys with adventures and girls then turn them into trannies. Japan is an occupied territory.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Kalarion wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 04:10
Please tell me this is fake.

Please.
Lol.. It's in the backer room. Sorry Bro.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I was hoping it is but it feels like when you play Pillars of Eternity and some shitty fan fiction NPC/blurb pops up to make you want to stop playing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

General Reign wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 04:16
I was hoping it is but it feels like when you play Pillars of Eternity and some shitty fan fiction NPC/blurb pops up to make you want to stop playing.
Except pillars of eternity had a backer blurb making fun of trannies until someone got upset and they removed something that someone paid to put in the game.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 04:34
General Reign wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 04:16
Except pillars of eternity had a backer blurb making fun of trannies until someone got upset and they removed something that someone paid to put in the game.
Hate it when devs or people in general back down when trannies get upset. You will never regain their "trust" no matter how hard you try. You can prostrate yourself before their smelly asses and not a single one would forgive you for the crime of mocking them and their degenerate lifestyle. Backpeddling and self-censoring only ensures that neither trannies or normal people will like you.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I hope op didn't pay for this.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

They're going to lose considerably more money in sales than that troon backer gave them.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I serendipitously was pointed to this video about why Japan has so many stories about killing gods.

The synopsis I was given (no idea how accurate this is to reality):
The short version is that Taoist pantheism has soaked East Asia in the idea that everyone can become divine through righteous and harmonious effort, but the Japanese state has so far successfully subdued and controlled every religious movement to ever arrive in Japan, leading to the State, or the "current system" being seen as divine, thus "robbing" the people of their right to divinise themselves. In other words, the State as the Demiurge.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

telosmelos wrote: September 6th, 2023, 23:37
dumb shit tranny jap game, stop playing this kiddie shit
It's not Japanese, though. That's half the problem.
telosmelos

Post by telosmelos »

WhiteShark wrote: September 6th, 2023, 23:57
telosmelos wrote: September 6th, 2023, 23:37
dumb shit tranny jap game, stop playing this kiddie shit
It's not Japanese, though. That's half the problem.
didn't ask, faggot
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

telosmelos wrote: September 6th, 2023, 23:58
didn't ask, faggot
So? Say something stupid and wrong, expect to get called out on it.
telosmelos

Post by telosmelos »

WhiteShark wrote: September 7th, 2023, 00:02
telosmelos wrote: September 6th, 2023, 23:58
didn't ask, faggot
So? Say something stupid and wrong, expect to get called out on it.
yet again, didn't ask, faggot
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Get this garbage game out of JRPG.