We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Elon Musk Thread

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
The_Mask

The Elon Musk Thread

Post by The_Mask »

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

He's literally trying to make it real
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Well, as I remember, the game takes place circa 2027, so... yes.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Uh-oh... he played it.

Ravenloft

Post by Ravenloft »

Original Deus Ex is set in 2052, it's the Ubisoft prequels that are set in the 1920s.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

I still can't figure out if Musk's meme game is just an act designed to draw attention as part of his general persona, or if he's actually figured out what's going on here and has been trying to do something about it (or both). This may be because I've pretty much ignored the news for a year. Opinions welcome.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I think it's both, weighted towards the first. He'll post things like this one day and the next is sitting with Rupert Murdoch or Jared Kushner. He sees the parallels between the game and what's happening, but doesn't want to do anything about it if it will negatively effect him in any real way.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

Acrux wrote: February 17th, 2023, 19:32
I think it's both, weighted towards the first. He'll post things like this one day and the next is sitting with Rupert Murdoch or Jared Kushner. He sees the parallels between the game and what's happening, but doesn't want to do anything about it if it will negatively effect him in any real way.
Yeah true and I certainly didn't mean to suggest him as any kind of savior which people have done with Musk in the past. We're all going to be hard-pressed to get through the upcoming storms of shit and we can't count on anyone but each other to pull us out of the fire.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Elon Musk, one of the founders of OpenAI, seems to be unhappy with the direction OpenAI is taking.
Hando

Post by Hando »

Elon Musk is the antichrist.
Vic

Post by Vic »

elon musk the chad vs zuckerberg the lizard
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/myst ... usk-group/
Mystery Solved: Left-Wing Billionaire Pierre Omidyar Bankrolls Shadowy Anti-Musk Group
Omidyar money behind organizations pushing corporate boycott of Twitter
Left-wing billionaire Pierre Omidyar at the 2010 Clinton Global Initiative / Getty Images
Alana Goodman
February 21, 2023
The left-wing billionaire and media donor Pierre Omidyar is behind the dark-money group that has kept its donors secret for nearly a year and is leading a corporate boycott campaign against Twitter owner Elon Musk.

Omidyar, the eBay founder and financial backer of the Intercept and ProPublica, donated $509,500 to Accountable Tech in 2021 and 2022, according to a recently updated list of grants disclosed by Omidyar's foundation. Omidyar also gave $2 million to at least six other organizations that targeted Musk, criticizing him in letters and op-eds as "uniquely ill-suited for the job of running a social media platform" and warning that he would turn Twitter into a "free-for-all of hate and harassment."

The news reveals one of the primary forces behind the anti-Musk campaign. Accountable Tech has been dodging questions about its donors for months. Over the past year, Accountable Tech and other groups bankrolled by Omidyar organized campaigns to pressure corporations to boycott Twitter and issued statements and op-eds denouncing Musk and calling for government investigations into the billionaire. "I wonder who funds them," wrote Musk in May, in response to a Washington Free Beacon report about the organization's secretiveness.

A spokeswoman for the Omidyar Network confirmed the funding but told the Free Beacon that the foundation didn't order the Twitter boycott campaign. "We routinely support organizations that share our vision for a responsible technology system, but do not direct their day-to-day activities," said spokeswoman Beth Kanter.

It is unclear the exact amount Omidyar gave to Accountable Tech. As of Sunday, Omidyar Network listed grants on its website worth $509,500 that were given in 2021 and 2022. After the Free Beacon reached out for comment on Monday, the Omidyar Network edited its database to show just one $209,500 grant to "North Fund 2022 Accountable Tech P&P Project Funding" on Oct. 24, 2022. It also removed the grants to two other organizations that criticized Musk.

Kanter said the website updates were actually made on Friday, although they were not reflected when the Free Beacon visited the website over the weekend. She said the foundation removed funding that had expired, including a prior grant to Accountable Tech from 2021 to 2022.

The Free Beacon reported last year that Accountable Tech—which calls itself a "small nonprofit taking on Big Tech companies"—has no physical footprint and is a registered trade name of the North Fund, a $66 million nonprofit group that uses aliases to push an array of left-wing causes from a shell office in Washington, D.C.

Accountable Tech did not respond to a request for comment.

Omidyar's ties to the anti-Musk campaign is notable due to the personal history between the two billionaires. The eBay founder helped launch Musk into the ranks of the super-wealthy by buying PayPal for $1.5 billion in 2002. Over the next two decades, Musk multiplied this fortune and climbed his way to the top of the Forbes billionaire list.

But the two tech moguls now find themselves on opposing sides of the political debate. Omidyar has poured millions into pro-Democrat dark-money groups such as the Sixteen Thirty Fund, while Musk has praised Republicans like Florida governor Ron DeSantis and rolled back Twitter's speech restrictions targeting conservatives.

Last year, Accountable Tech and UltraViolet—a progressive activist group that received $50,000 from Omidyar—organized a letter to Twitter's advertisers warning that Musk's acquisition would "toxify our information ecosystem and be a direct threat to public safety, especially among those already most vulnerable and marginalized."

They called on the companies to "pull your advertising spending from Twitter" if Musk lifted bans on Republican politicians such as former president Donald Trump.

In November, a coalition of left-wing activist groups sent a similar letter to the CEOs of Amazon, Apple, Coca-Cola, Disney, and other major Twitter advertisers. That letter was signed by the Tech Oversight Project, which received $400,000 from Omidyar, and the Center for American Progress, which received $200,000 from Omidyar. The Tech Oversight Project grant was removed from the Omidyar Network database following Free Beacon inquiries.

The Open Markets Institute, a group that raked in $900,000 from Omidyar, sent a letter in November asking the Department of Justice and other federal agencies to investigate Musk's purchase of Twitter.

In April, Data for Progress—a group that took $365,000 from Omidyar—called out Musk on Twitter for allegedly paying "$0 in federal income taxes in 2018." That grant was also removed from the Omidyar Network following Free Beacon inquiries. And in November, the director of Fight for the Future, which received $95,000 from Omidyar, published a column in Time magazine calling on activists to stop using Twitter and switch to competing platforms.

Earlier this month, Omidyar was also listed as a sponsor of the Digital Content Next Summit. The trade association, which represents mainstream media outlets, is run by Jason Kint, one of Musk's most vocal critics.

In December, Kint warned that he would have Musk "hauled in front of Congress" if the Twitter owner didn't restore the accounts of several journalists who had been suspended for posting public information about the billionaire's jet. The Omidyar Network told the Free Beacon that it paid $35,000 to sponsor the summit.

Update 2:04 p.m.: This piece has been updated to include additional comment from an Omidyar Network spokeswoman.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Hando wrote: February 18th, 2023, 19:45
Elon Musk is the antichrist.
He certainly is an Antichrist figure. He's also a figurehead for the Elites. He doesn't own shit.
But he is good for what it is. Opening eyes. :Inspector:
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Freedom of speech is a right-wing concept now. LOL

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

right-wing with free speech, left-wing with consoom product

@twig capitalist pig :smug:
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

To answer his question, it felt to me like free speech officially became right-wing in 2016, although the process was already well underway; some of the preliminaries included Occupy Wall Street with the "progressive stack"
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I wanted to put this in the COVID thread, but I also didn't want to put something in there that doesn't have real scientific relevance, but... I'm hearing Elon's taking some heat because of this little comment:

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The Twitter Files #17

(WTF is the GEC?!?)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1631 ... 89322.html
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

GEC was created by Otraitor in the State Department. This means that the US government violated the Bill of Rights again to ban people's free speech. Lawsuits are incoming against the US government because of it.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Interesting that Matt Taibbi is the one releasing this information. He was shameful in his "debate" with David Ray Griffin.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Dead wrote: March 7th, 2023, 01:28
Interesting that Matt Taibbi is the one releasing this information. He was shameful in his "debate" with David Ray Griffin.
Matt Taibbi has a lot of shameful events in his history, but this isn't his opinion piece. Taibbi is what I imagine as the prototypical Gen-Xer.

With all the baggage that entails.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

cpmartins

Post by cpmartins »

Elon Musk is the new Trump for the left. They are completely obsessed with "dunking" on him, but not one of them comes up with a counter for his arguments. I don't even like him but by the Allmighty the amount of sheer asshurt the man delivers on a daily basis is a sight to behold.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The Twitter Files, I believe this would be #18.

(when Prince Harry goes to Aspen, shit happens, eh? On a more serious note, before starting to read this one, I recommend you sit down and focus. I needed to. But then again, I'm an ESL... although, I can't imagine this one is an easy read for a native speaker either)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1633 ... 57027.html
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Elon works with spooks to do spooky things and the spooks are spooking each other in an INVISIBLE WAR

Last edited by Klerik on March 10th, 2023, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.