We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

+The Keyboard Thread+

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

+The Keyboard Thread+

Post by 1998 »

My K95 (jajaj) is slowly giving up. Down arrow and 5 already solid red, cant change them. That triggers me quite a bit.

So how would one go on to buy a new keyboard? I don't need some stupid mini, not carrying it around, rather like it full sized. Guess they all come with RGB now, but don't mind either way. But what about the switches? I don't have any physicals stores around here to try them out.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Optical switches are the way to go these days. Razor offers some good keyboards with optical switches.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Bought a System76 Launch keyboard recently, with the Cherry MX Brown switches. It's built solidly and uses Free Software to boot, but I think I would've chosen a different switch. This one feels a bit too mushy, but it's useable and I can see myself using it for many years to come.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

1998 wrote: August 28th, 2023, 17:22
My K95 (jajaj) is slowly giving up. Down arrow and 5 already solid red, cant change them. That triggers me quite a bit.

So how would one go on to buy a new keyboard? I don't need some stupid mini, not carrying it around, rather like it full sized. Guess they all come with RGB now, but don't mind either way. But what about the switches? I don't have any physicals stores around here to try them out.
First decide what kind of switch you want. You're using Cherry MX Reds now, is that what you want to continue using?

https://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/switches/

This is a good overview and a reviews/descriptions of many different types of switches, a huge amount, but gives you an idea what is out there. Don't believe everything written there, I've been using Cherry MX Blue for a decade now and they're nothing like IBM Model M buckling spring switches. Well they're tactile, clicky and fairly heavy, but that's not what makes IBM Model M switches what they are. I've also used Cherry MX Brown and Red and I've grown to hate Cherry MX switches tbqh. They're just not satisfying to type on or game on.

I wanted to try Cherry MX Green, but I know I won't be happy with them because: Cherry MX. They simply aren't the best feel IMO.

IF I was getting a keyboard today, I'd go for Matias switches — they're the only Alps clone out there and IMO no switches have ever matched the feel of Alps switches. They're not real Alps and not a clone of the best Alps, but Alps is Alps and a clone of Alps is going to be better than anything out there.

On optical vs. mechanical

https://switchandclick.com/optical-vs-m ... is-better/

There are pros and cons, I just don't really value the faster actuation of the opticals, but ymmv.

And then when you have the switch you want, pick the keyboard you want and the keycaps you want!

https://digiva.net/best-barebone-keyboa ... ers-guide/

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... _list&c=40
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Saying optical switches are more uncomfortable than mechanical switches is one of the dumbest things I've ever read and kind of sours anything else they have to say.

In fact, skimming the article, at least half of what they say is wrong. I have the Gen 2 Razer Red switches mentioned in the article and they are much quieter than my old MX Reds.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

GhostCow wrote: August 28th, 2023, 23:04
Saying optical switches are more uncomfortable than mechanical switches is one of the dumbest things I've ever read and kind of sours anything else they have to say.

In fact, skimming the article, at least half of what they say is wrong. I have the Gen 2 Razer Red switches mentioned in the article and they are much quieter than my old MX Reds.
They? How many people do you think wrote that article?

Anyway, it's an opinion piece. If he thinks it is more uncomfortable than mechanical switches, that's a fine explanation. In fact I'd say some mechanical switches are more uncomfortable than others.

It's all about what you feel is comfortable and there's no objective measurement to be had.

I've tried an optical switch Razor keyboard and I thought it was fine, felt similar to Cherry MX reds. Not my thing because I don't like light linear switches, but then again the "optical" part of optical switches isn't super relevant in how they feel. It's just another method to actuate. There's no reason why you couldn't make a tactile and clicky optical switch.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Yeah, if you don't like linear switches then optical is pointless and I'd actually rather use something like an IBM model M as a non-linear keyboard

Post by 1998 »

Atlantico wrote: August 28th, 2023, 22:17

First decide what kind of switch you want. You're using Cherry MX Reds now, is that what you want to continue using?

I wanted to try Cherry MX Green, but I know I won't be happy with them because: Cherry MX. They simply aren't the best feel IMO.
I actually got MX Browns right now. I guess they are fine, but of course I didn't try many others. Guess Ill have to buy a set of switches first, but yeah feels like its a lot more complicated to buy a new keyboard these days. Anyway, thanks for all the links, will check them out.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

1998 wrote: August 31st, 2023, 14:48
Atlantico wrote: August 28th, 2023, 22:17

I actually got MX Browns right now. I guess they are fine, but of course I didn't try many others. Guess Ill have to buy a set of switches first, but yeah feels like its a lot more complicated to buy a new keyboard these days. Anyway, thanks for all the links, will check them out.
You're welcome!

Btw there is nothing wrong with buying a normal gaming keyboard, they're fine and if it has the right switches.. why not?

Putting a keyboard together yourself is "boring" and takes time, but if you're going to use it for 10 years, might as well make it personal and of high quality and if you want you can always change switches later for small amount of money!