Alternate Wyll Origin Appearance 1.1 — Baldur's Gate 3

Share things you've made or found for games here.
ArunnyE

Alternate Wyll Origin Appearance 1.1 — Baldur's Gate 3

Post by ArunnyE »

ALTERNATE WYLL ORIGIN APPEARANCE
► Screenshots
I decided to take a break from my personal modding to fulfill some requests made by friends/acquaintances, making this relatively simple mod that changes the appearance of Wyll. It was initially shared on NexusMods, but then suddenly put under review and eventually deleted without cause. I've been invited to share it here by popular demand and for ease-of-access in the future. While this mod is in itself very simple, it took me three days to make and I am still not sure how to make presets use heterochromia.

Do note that Wyll uses the basic HAIR_HUM_M_Dreads_Short_A.GR2 for hair, in-game called "Loomspun". This mod replaces that hair type, meaning that it will not be available to use for character creation, and anyone in the game that uses it will similarly have their hair replaced. There is no way around this that I know of. So don't use this mod if that's not a loss you can live with.

For current installation, extract to the \Data\ folder of BG3's installation directory. See "known issues" for details why this is necessary for now.
► Old 'normal' installation procedure
Finally, I know this mod works in the beginning of the game, but it is my understanding that certain events can affect the look and nature of your companions throughout the game. I cannot currently test this myself, and I am not sure what files will be used at such a time, so if there are any issues, I cannot promise that I can fix them until I can actually progress in the game - which there is no guarantee that I will be doing for many moons, as my partner-in-crime is intensely busy with life. However, any feedback is appreciated and I will take a look at things as time permits.

There are a number of known issues that I would love to fix, but that I need help finding how to fix, because the code and file structure is spaghetti. Just tracking down the right files for this took days, and even then some things flat-out does not seem to work (such as heterochromia), and most things are not named or foldered intuitively.

I claim no ownership or credit of any of this, and encourage anyone to pick it apart as they see fit or include it in whatever.

MAIN DOWNLOADS:

OPTIONAL DOWNLOADS:

Have fun! ^^/
Last edited by ArunnyE on September 2nd, 2023, 14:47, edited 7 times in total.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

Known Issues:
  • Mod models not loading + Other mods not loading localization files or more:
Alright, so, for whatever reason, things just keep breaking more and more the more Larian patches the game. I recently discovered that if any models at all are even attempted to be loaded into the game from a mod .pak-file, or if certain files or types of files (which is not clear) are attempted to be read from a mod .pak-file by the game, it interferes with other mods, even if the mod with the models or files are not set to be loaded as mods. I noticed this when merely having the AlternateWyll.pak-file or the DiceUnlocker.pak-file (from my other mod) in the \mods\ directory made completely unrelated mods (which were on the modlist to be loaded into the game).

Until whatever is causing this is fixed by Larian, the mod has to be installed by dumping the unpacked mod into the \data\ folder of the installation directory. The "real" mod .pak-file is now an "optional download" in case anyone wants to mess around with it.
  • Mod Models not loading:
For some reason, in my current version of the game, model replacement contained in regular .pak-mods are flat-out not loaded. This means that model replacements will have to be installed manually in the installation directory. Download the WyllAlternateDataReplacement file and extract into the /Data/ folder in the BG3 installation directory. To uninstall, delete the /Generated/ folder you previously put into the /Data/ directory (or the individual files contained within). This is due to Larian breaking something, as the mod worked fine previously.

Others relate to Wyll's background/storyline, so beware of spoilers:
► Additional Known Issues - Spoilers
Again, I am not at a point in the game where I can test any of these, and to see it fixed, I need to either just stumble upon the correct files, or have some considerable help from others. I would love absolutely any help anyone can give me on these issues. ^^;
Last edited by ArunnyE on August 29th, 2023, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.
Hexenhammer

Post by Hexenhammer »

OP, thank you for this great mod, do you have other similar type of mods for otehr games?

I would like to give you a tip, im a longtime NEXUS member and been all trough such "controversies" [the wokatrds want to control our content]
To avoid your mod taken down, you need to DISABLE the comment section, thats it.
I know of other moders that received warnings from nexus admins and been asked to disable the comment section but it happened years ago, before Nexus went woke.
Just disable it yourself outright and there is much less of a chnce for your mod removed because what bothers nexus the most is not reports/complaints but all the spam and toxicity in the comment sections.
You have Pathfinder mods and people already spamming there, if you don't want them taken down, just delete all the offending posts, and lock the comment section.

Its time to create an alternative community, mod web site
P.S. MODDB never takes down mods and its far older web site than nexus.
Last edited by Hexenhammer on August 27th, 2023, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

Hexenhammer wrote: August 26th, 2023, 21:10
OP, than you for this great mod, do you other similar type of mods for o tehr games?
No, not really. ^^; I did make some portraits for Wrath of the Righteous and Kingmaker (they're still up on Nexus), but I wouldn't consider them mods. I have made a lot of small personal mods in the past, but nothing I've really shared publicly.
I would liek to give you a tip, im a longtime NEXUS member and been all trough such "controversies" [the wokatrds want to control our content]
To avoid your mod taken down, you need to DISABLE the comment section, thats it.
I know of other moders that received warnings from nexus admins and been asked to disable the comment section but it happened years ago, before Nexus went woke.
Just disable it yourself outright and there is much less of achnce for your mod removed becuase what botehrs nexus the most is not reports/complaints but all the spam and toxicity in the comment sections.
You have Pathfinder mods and people already spamming there, if you dont want them taken down, just delete all the offending posts, and lock the comment section.
Locking the comments was/is actually the last thing I want to do, because as I was trying to tell the Nexus mods indiscriminately deleting posts/comments, it bothered me more that the well-intentioned and helpful comments, the good discussions, were deleted alongside the abusers and bullies, and it was really helpful to have people to talk with about ways the mod(s) could be improved.

I really hate pulling the curtains just because it rains, because it means that you won't see the rainbows. ^_^
It would be nice to see a new good general modding website, but it could take a lot of effort and funding in today's climate to make it work. MODDB is OK, but always disliked it's layout. ^^; It feels like a kind of repository for major mods and specific files rather than a general modsite. You'd think that making a modsite would be easy, considering that all you need is an upload/download function with some file sorting, and a proper presentation page. It's ultimately a classic forum with specific sections. ^^
Last edited by ArunnyE on August 27th, 2023, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

Dead wrote: August 27th, 2023, 10:35
Yes, don't negotiate with tranny jannies.
Yeah, it's honestly easier to just fucking leave when they start getting uppity.
Hi, my name is Tovi.
All journos must hang.
Join the RPG Codex Official™ Discord Server
MCA, much like Adolf Hitler, did nothing wrong.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

Had to add a new "known issues" entry and rekajigger the files. Frustrating how basic functionality has changed since the game was released. ^^; When I ran this after one of the first patches it worked just fine, but since then issues that make no sense keeps cropping up.

But it should work now, just not as neatly as it should.
37leet

Post by 37leet »

Thank you, very cool mod ! (^o^)/
ArunnyE wrote: August 25th, 2023, 09:25
This mod replaces that hair type, meaning that it will not be available to use for character creation, and anyone in the game that uses it will similarly have their hair replaced. There is no way around this that I know of. So don't use this mod if that's not a loss you can live with.
To follow-up on that, do you think it would be possible to replace certain facial features and skin tones with others ? That would be awesome as well !
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

@37leet Welcome to the site. You'd better be a really good poster if you're going to be using an Aragorn picture. You have big shoes to fill.
Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains.
37leet

Post by 37leet »

@Acrux As an average-at-best shitposter, I realised my error and will succumb to the pressure. There.
Last edited by 37leet on August 31st, 2023, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Hello, yes, it has come to my attention that
*adjusts spectacles*
This mod is ... racist.

I wanted to pass on this person's message to you and make sure you were aware of it.
As we have no content policy beyond what is in the rules of the forum itself, and this mod does not violate any rules, no action will be taken.
Have a good day.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

37leet wrote: August 31st, 2023, 21:36
Thank you, very cool mod ! (^o^)/
ArunnyE wrote: August 25th, 2023, 09:25
This mod replaces that hair type, meaning that it will not be available to use for character creation, and anyone in the game that uses it will similarly have their hair replaced. There is no way around this that I know of. So don't use this mod if that's not a loss you can live with.
To follow-up on that, do you think it would be possible to replace certain facial features and skin tones with others ? That would be awesome as well !
Oh, you mean as a general blanket replacement? For "facial features", kinda - you could take existing head models and replace any other head models in the game, or make your own head models and replace existing models. I don't really have the skills for making custom models like that, but it is entirely possible to do.

As for skin tones; no. Each individual in the game (some which may be randomized, but I'm not sure if or how) are actually custom-colored. The presets chosen on creation are just preset choices - the actual behind-the-scenes settings are essentially a number of sliders that controls a host of minor things that come together to make realistic-ish skin colors. There is theoretically nothing stopping you from making Wyll entirely green if you want to.

But that also means that you can't take, say, "the green skin-tone choice" and replace it with "the red skin-tone choice" in the same way you can just take one head or hair model and replace it with another.

But it is theoretically entirely possible to go through the right files and manually adjust pretty much everyone in the game, if someone knows where to look or creates an index of all the characters. It is currently quite hard to find the "right" thing to change for the right character. I haven't been able to find Grand Duke Ravengard's file(s?) or the model for Wyll's hair aside from his "normal" form, yet. I have an idea for the latter, though, but to test it myself I'll have to go there myself and that could take months.
rusty_shackleford wrote: September 1st, 2023, 04:17
*adjusts spectacles*
This mod is ... racist.

https://f.rpghq.org/O7XFAO19W2bP.jpg

I wanted to pass on this person's message to you and make sure you were aware of it.
As we have no content policy beyond what is in the rules of the forum itself, and this mod does not violate any rules, no action will be taken.
Have a good day.
It's not even racist. :(
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

*adjusts spectacles*
This mod is ... racist.

Have a day.
I love how they state this whole thing as "IT'S ALREADY BANNED ON THE NEXUS! YOU MUST BAN IT TOO!". They really demand full conformity in all aspects and regards, and will take any popular authority/site/thing as normative law that must be adhered to because.. it just must, ok!? They don't even attempt to argue beyond that premise, because they have already accepted it and assume that everyone else has too. Every day I become increasingly convinced that the NPC meme is actually the unvarnished truth.
Hi, my name is Tovi.
All journos must hang.
citard

Post by citard »

Is it possible to leave the hair unchanged and only change the skin colour?
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

Good News: I have found Wyll's father in the files, and I'm fairly sure I could make him conform to Wyll's new appearance.
Bad News: I am not going to implement it until Larian fixes mod .pak functionality so that localization files, models, and certain other files within mod .pak-files are not automagically invalidated by the mere presence of other mods in the \mods\ folder, because this would make the mod completely incompatible with other mods that touch the same files.

Other Good News: I can confirm that attempting to change Wyll's portrait is largely needless. Portraits seem to update automatically when you enter the multiclassing screen on level-up. I would still love to fix this so that he has the right portrait from his first introduction, but until someone comes up with a way to extract portraits from the save games, I don't see how it would be possible. For now, when recruiting Wyll, when leveling him up, just go to the multiclass screen, even if you have no intention to multiclass him, and then back again, and proceed to level him up as normal, and his portrait should update. I added two screenshots to the OP to illustrate this.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

citard wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 16:24
Yeah, you can just not replace the hair model, and in the .lsx (and subsequent .lsf) you can change (or not change) the hair color freely.
Hi, my name is Tovi.
All journos must hang.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

*adjusts spectacles*
This mod is ... racist.

Have a good day.
you hosting a racist mod that was banned other place
you been warned
you

People did really forget how to think didn't they?
⛧卐⛧
ⓘ This claim is disputed by official sources
SniperChris

Post by SniperChris »

ArunnyE wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 17:43
Good News: I have found Wyll's father in the files, and I'm fairly sure I could make him conform to Wyll's new appearance.
Bad News: I am not going to implement it until Larian fixes mod .pak functionality so that localization files, models, and certain other files within mod .pak-files are not automagically invalidated by the mere presence of other mods in the \mods\ folder, because this would make the mod completely incompatible with other mods that touch the same files.

Other Good News: I can confirm that attempting to change Wyll's portrait is largely needless. Portraits seem to update automatically when you enter the multiclassing screen on level-up. I would still love to fix this so that he has the right portrait from his first introduction, but until someone comes up with a way to extract portraits from the save games, I don't see how it would be possible. For now, when recruiting Wyll, when leveling him up, just go to the multiclass screen, even if you have no intention to multiclass him, and then back again, and proceed to level him up as normal, and his portrait should update. I added two screenshots to the OP to illustrate this.
If you figure out an easy way to modify portraits - let me know, because it would be helpful for my mod. Right now, all of the Dwarf NPCs still have their old, beardless portraits.
citard

Post by citard »

Luckmann wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 17:54
citard wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 16:24
Yeah, you can just not replace the hair model, and in the .lsx (and subsequent .lsf) you can change (or not change) the hair color freely.
Awesome, the reason I'm asking is because I don't want to disable my option to pick the hairstyle.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

SniperChris wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 18:01
If you figure out an easy way to modify portraits - let me know, because it would be helpful for my mod. Right now, all of the Dwarf NPCs still have their old, beardless portraits.
I know there's a folder with most portraits as .DDS-files (I think I extracted it from Models.pak, but it could've been Game.pak), but I haven't tried messing around with it. The real problem I've found is that I haven't been able to figure out a way of *making* portraits. But if I come across a way to do it, I'll certainly drop you a line.

I found https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/60852 useful, because it allows you to actually see thumbnails of .DDS-files, so you don't have to open up each of them individually.
SniperChris

Post by SniperChris »

ArunnyE wrote: September 4th, 2023, 14:27
SniperChris wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 18:01
I know there's a folder with most portraits as .DDS-files (I think I extracted it from Models.pak, but it could've been Game.pak), but I haven't tried messing around with it. The real problem I've found is that I haven't been able to figure out a way of *making* portraits. But if I come across a way to do it, I'll certainly drop you a line.

I found https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/60852 useful, because it allows you to actually see thumbnails of .DDS-files, so you don't have to open up each of them individually.
Until there's a solid way to create a portrait, we are out of luck. I know the means of doing so exists in the game - the Character Creator generates new portraits based on the race/face/skin/hair/eyes selected by the player.
ArunnyE

Post by ArunnyE »

SniperChris wrote: September 4th, 2023, 15:35
Until there's a solid way to create a portrait, we are out of luck. I know the means of doing so exists in the game - the Character Creator generates new portraits based on the race/face/skin/hair/eyes selected by the player.
What I don't understand is why the game even uses premade portraitts at all, since it clearly can and do use dynamically generated portraits for PC's/CNPC's at the very least. My first idea was to extract the portraits the game creates from the saves, but I haven't found a way to get them out.

The game will re-generate a dynamically generated portrait for a CNPC/Origin character by you just entering and exiting the multiclassing screen on level-up, so why does Wyll, for example, even have a preset portrait, instead of the game simply generating a new portrait based on his actual model the second he is spawned into the game world - or earlier, in preperation for such a spawning? It is all very odd.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Looks great, only issues really are his lips clip through his teeth on some words and if you walk too far away from him at camp his face goes invisible but that's hardly noticeable in most cases. Far better than the alternative of keeping his vanilla "phenotype" lmao.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

I made the account just to say: you did a wonderful job with this mod. He looks handsome now.

Nexus is a pussy site. Unfortunately it's the go-to; like YTbe for vids. I hardly can find any other modding site with this range of mods.

I would install it, but - it's hard for me to not notice the "blackness" in his voice. After the "summer of love" it's impossible for me to not pick this up.

Some voice actors do a great job, yes. E.g. Lisa's VA from english version of Genshin - she doesn't sound black at all, and yet she is. Kratos' VA from God of War? I was susprised to learn he is black.

I don't expect a mod re-recording all his voicelines tho.

Again, great job. I'm glad you uploaded it there, and I'm glad to be here.
It's just my opinion, not the absolute truth

"Why don't you put that in your signature instead of having to type it every week?"
~Dead about me being gay

"Read his signature, he's gay"
~Dead
True_Way

Post by True_Way »

Thankfully found this link through reddit (there are good non-woke people even out there yet!). Specifically registered to say thank you very much for this mod. I'm not even gonna deny anything, yes I don't want to see blacks at the very least in the fantasy setting (which is ENTIRELY based on European lore and history), I've killed Wyll in my current playthrough and I'm pretty sure after finishing it I'll give it a rest for a few months, maybe even a year, until I play it again, hopefully by this time all issues with his "new form" and his parents will be fixed by then. Highly appreciating your work and special thanks to this site for hosting it and not being woke filth. Ah if only we could someone remove all the lgbt as well, but afraid this will be much harder...
Iwontcoddleyou

Post by Iwontcoddleyou »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: September 9th, 2023, 07:58
I made the account just to say: you did a wonderful job with this mod. He looks handsome now.

Nexus is a pussy site. Unfortunately it's the go-to; like YTbe for vids. I hardly can find any other modding site with this range of mods.

I would install it, but - it's hard for me to not notice the "blackness" in his voice. After the "summer of love" it's impossible for me to not pick this up.

Some voice actors do a great job, yes. E.g. Lisa's VA from english version of Genshin - she doesn't sound black at all, and yet she is. Kratos' VA from God of War? I was susprised to learn he is black.

I don't expect a mod re-recording all his voicelines tho.

Again, great job. I'm glad you uploaded it there, and I'm glad to be here.

Implying he wasn’t handsome before? Like fr I know why you got booted off nexus and you know why you whitewashed a black character and then have the audacity to play victim just own it that’s a “L” on your part and yes it racist.
Iwontcoddleyou

Post by Iwontcoddleyou »

OP, thank you for this great mod, do you have other similar type of mods for otehr games?

I would like to give you a tip, im a longtime NEXUS member and been all trough such "controversies" [the wokatrds want to control our content]
Just disable it yourself outright and there is much less of a chnce for your mod removed because what bothers nexus the most is not reports/complaints but all the spam and toxicity in the comment sections.
You have Pathfinder mods and people already spamming there, if you don't want them taken down, just delete all the offending posts, and lock the comment section.

I don’t even know why you try to just this mod cool the “white supremacist” can now get rid of the black character
And supporting this person for what they did isn’t cool.

Nice they worked on it for 3 days but they could have edited out his scars or even experimented with hair styles without changed his skin color.

It was always going to be controversial and supporting whitewashing is disgusting.

People would be up in arms if it was gale or shadow heart
Iwontcoddleyou

Post by Iwontcoddleyou »

Damn thats crazy and you're a website admin? based on your posting history id rather you just say you don't like "black people" and move on.