We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dawn of War

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
maidenhaver

Dawn of War

Post by maidenhaver »

Anybody have a mod that fixes the UI on higher resolutions? I looked on moddb and steam forums, but none of the fixes or mods worked at any aspect ratio. The map clips through the UI, the buttons won't scale, the text is microscopic, and lists don't fit menus. DoW2 and 3 suck dicks, I can tell just by looking at them. I don't even want to borrow them to find out. DoW1 is the only DoW but I'm sick of coping with that fucking menu.

Post by 1998 »

Only RTS I ever played for some reason
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

maidenhaver wrote: August 21st, 2023, 15:32
Anybody have a mod that fixes the UI on higher resolutions? I looked on moddb and steam forums, but none of the fixes or mods worked at any aspect ratio. The map clips through the UI, the buttons won't scale, the text is microscopic, and lists don't fit menus. DoW2 and 3 suck dicks, I can tell just by looking at them. I don't even want to borrow them to find out. DoW1 is the only DoW but I'm sick of coping with that fucking menu.
"Wow gaiz old games are super cool because they're old!"
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yes, in this case that's true. DoW2 and 3 aren't rts, and they don't have the good races. You need to put away the orthodox meme religion, because you get offended to easily when nobody cares about your tradlarp, so you go around trying too hard like this for a cope, and its really embarrassing.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Yeah, I really loved DoW back in the day and was disappointed that the sequels went in a different direction. The campaigns were fun and I even tried playing online a little bit. I liked the Tau, I think partly because of the clear delineation of roles (send kroot into melee, shoot at tied-down enemy with fire warriors).
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

I loved the original DoW and its expansions, but I can't help with the core question. I even liked Soulstorm, even with the fucky parts being fucky, and the Dark Elder were funny as hell - I especially remember one time I was going up against a friend that tried to do the old "Let's ally and then I'll kill you with overwhelming force". He ran straight into my Dais of Destruction and I still remember his "shit shit shit" as I bzzaaap't half his army in one fell swoop and surrounded him with scourges, just annihilating pretty much everything except his grey knights.
maidenhaver wrote: August 21st, 2023, 15:32
DoW2 and 3 suck dicks, I can tell just by looking at them.
DoW2 has a good campaign that is a lot of fun in co-op, but it's not an RTS (especially in campaign mode). I strongly recommend it if you have someone to play it with. But yeah, I'm also sad that DoW2/3 abandoned the core gameplay of the original game.