We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

AI-Replacing-Creatives - Lawsuits & Precedent Setting

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:25
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:18
BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:09
In the ongoing case where those "artists" are suing the AI platforms, Sarah Anderson had most of her copyright claims thrown out because she'd not actually filed for copyright on all but a handful of her work. ONLY on the ones that she had done so, did they permit to go forward for further judgement.
Copyright is automatic, at least under US law. Has been for a while now.
A quick search doesn't suggest this is why it was thrown out. I'm not going to dig deeper into this as it's going off-topic, but my assumption is that it's because the output of ML AIs are not derivative but transformative. We have an AI legal thread in the technology forum if you want to continue this there.
Seems they need to "register" it tho for it to be valid?
Motions to Dismiss: The court granted the defendants' motions to dismiss, based on the plaintiffs' failure to register their works with the US Copyright Office, a prerequisite for filing an infringement suit.

Importance of Copyright Registration: The ruling underscores the necessity for artists to register their works with the Copyright Office before pursuing infringement litigation.
https://www.legal.io/articles/5455194/F ... -Platforms

They can apparently continue the claim (which may still be unsuccessful) for the works registered, but in her case, those were apparently few.
You need to register before pursuing legal action, but that does not mean the works aren't protected by copyright.
Motions to Dismiss: The court granted the defendants' motions to dismiss, based on the plaintiffs' failure to register their works with the US Copyright Office, a prerequisite for filing an infringement suit.
Did she even have a lawyer? How did they let this happen?
BobT

Post by BobT »

haha yeah. I wonder if they allow retroactive registration? (And then claiming), if they have the "right" beforehand.
Seems their lawyer fucked up bigtime there, as she only has a handful registered. That got most of the case "thrown out". (though some remains).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

BobT wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:36
I wonder if they allow retroactive registration? (And then claiming), if they have the "right" beforehand.
Yes, the registration is not required, the copyright is automatic so there's nothing retroactive about it. You only have to formally register your copyright prior to seeking legal action.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

If the artwork in games, especially card games, starts getting better soon, you can thank AI. There's even an AI tool that lets you pin a face to generate multiple images of the same character now.

J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

AI generated music (including lyrics) is at a point now that I predict high profile lawsuits and job losses by the end of the year.

You still need Foley artists for a game, but any AA or AAA title started today does not need to hire a department or contractor to write a score anymore.

Really wild which jobs AI is eating first. Will try not to be a hypocrite if it comes for mine.

:smug:
Last edited by J1M on April 1st, 2024, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

J1M wrote: April 1st, 2024, 00:33
AI generated music (including lyrics) is at a point now that I predict high profile lawsuits and job losses by the end of the year.

You still need Foley artists for a game, but any AA or AAA title started today does not need to hire a department or contractor to write a score anymore.

Really wild which jobs AI is eating first. Will try not to be a hypocrite if it comes for mine.

:smug:
We were bound to have a large shift in tech again eventually. From horse and cart to engines, from manual assembly to automated industry, from clerical filing and transcription, to computer aided, etc... its the cycle of technology advancement. The people who will have huge problems are those who lack the ability to adapt and learn new focuses. Which is kind of stupid as they are flooding all the countries with 3rd world morons who can't even read in their own damn languages very well.

This is a much bigger jump, but there is still time it will take to fill out advanced concepts and until it can be self sufficient in them, it will need people who know how to do it themselves to monitor, check, and fix its issues.

My fear is not the jobs it will replace, but the power it will hand over to those who already have too much already. What should be something that would give power to the individual to create, expand, and self manage will end up being a monopoly of corporate/government strangleholds used to force a people into submission.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: April 1st, 2024, 00:59
My fear is not the jobs it will replace, but the power it will hand over to those who already have too much already. What should be something that would give power to the individual to create, expand, and self manage will end up being a monopoly of corporate/government strangleholds used to force a people into submission.
Strong disagree, this has made the ability to create available to anyone rather than to billion dollar companies that own sweatshops in some obscure asian country.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 01:03
Xenich wrote: April 1st, 2024, 00:59
Strong disagree, this has made the ability to create available to anyone rather than to billion dollar companies that own sweatshops in some obscure asian country.
Oh, I agree on that, but will it work out that way "legally" though? You know they are looking for a means to lock this down, like they did with digital copyright. They aren't going to take it in the shorts here, something is going to be implemented that greatly limits ones ability to be self sufficient in such things as you describe. Maybe I am wrong, I will be happy to be wrong, but I don't trust them to just let their entire industries collapse and fall into the hands of small business and individuals again.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 01:03
i remember when they said that about low-budget movies with cgi.

individuals have no way to monetize except through the platforms of the billion dollar companies. You can have ai scam out a book for you but you can only sell it on amazon, where it competes with a sea of other ai books with ai covers. Some thirdies claim they're making money doing this, maybe they are, but the curation issues with these mass-produced scams are hugely bad for the customers. AI movies will be the same. Most customers will decide thay sticking to established brands is a better bet than buying from Jeet Production Studios. Non-jeets (I mean the ones who put "effort" into their generations and try to create a real complete production instead of shitting out deliberate scams) won't be able to distinguish themselves. Jeet Productions and Jim Productions won't be able to get their AI movies on streaming platforms. They can flood self-publish video sites like youtube but it will be a fight for scraps and a shrinking ad monetization pool.

I think in 2 or 3 years there will be mandatory watermarking on all video and image ai generators (except military and glowie), both eye-visible and in the metadata, difficult to remove. Not like a big red "AI" but a small symbol that embeds itself all over the place in the generation. Something similar for audio. By then low-quality pajeet ai will be such a nuisance that most won't want to see it
► Show Spoiler
. Maybe they update video card drivers to not run the old, unwatermarked open source models anymore, maybe not.

Maybe billionaire corpos get a carve-out where they use some expensive, licensed, registered proprietary generator where they can create without consumer-visible watermarking, but they must log every generation with the state. Or they start with a watermarked generation for concept and then do a careful "repaint" with human (non-ai computer assisted) hands, so to speak. Still sweatshop work.

The reason for the state to do this has nothing to do with protecting jobs or stopping thirdie scammers, but only to "prevent the spread of misinformation". You will still be glowopped.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:17
i remember when they said that about low-budget movies with cgi.
Yeah, imagine if we had low budget episodic series made by a small team with millions of views that are freely available online, using cheap CGI effects.

Anyways, who else watched the most recent AVGN episode?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 1st, 2024, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Also
Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:17
I think in 2 or 3 years there will be mandatory watermarking on all video and image ai generators (except military and glowie), both eye-visible and in the metadata, difficult to remove. Not like a big red "AI" but a small symbol that embeds itself all over the place in the generation. Something similar for audio. By then low-quality pajeet ai will be such a nuisance that most won't want to see it
lol, no.

It sucks that AI came for your job. Automation came for my grandfather's job at a steel factory before I was even born. It has been happening since the beginning of written history.
Same people getting butthurt about AI art don't seem to give a fuck that major companies use sweatshops for all their art. 'muh human factor' as some bugmen slave away for a quarter an hour in service of Yisnep.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 1st, 2024, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:25
It sucks that AI came for your job. Automation came for my grandfather's job at a steel factory before I was even born. It has been happening since the beginning of written history.
When you've "joked" about this before I assumed you weren't serious, as in you didn't seriously believe that my job was threatened, because it would be really ghoulish of you to seriously gloat and mock me for (supposedly) losing my job. It seems you actually were serious and that's actually how you feel, the thought of me losing my job makes you giddy.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 11th, 2024, 01:34
Did she even have a lawyer? How did they let this happen?
If this is the same case I started the thread about I posted more details / Judge comments / their lawyer situation a few pages back.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:31
When you've "joked" about this before I assumed you weren't serious, as in you didn't seriously believe that my job was threatened, because it would be really ghoulish of you to seriously gloat and mock me for (supposedly) losing my job. It seems you actually were serious and that's actually how you feel, the thought of me losing my job makes you giddy.
it sucks
How did you get 'giddy' from this?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

"artists" are annoying as fuck so i'm glad they're getting owned by AI
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:32
it sucks
I swear all of you are PMSing simultaneously.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I want to be a tech priest and bend AI to my will so I can create stuff and sell it for money.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:53

it sucks
You brought up my job, not me, and the reason you brought it up to try and use it as an own. Don't do the aw-shucks shit.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Artists using apple products made by Chinese children locked in factory with bullet proof glass and suicide trampoline nets complaining that artwork can be done faster.

When Coal Miners, Truckers and other laborer's lose their job - fuck em. Machine that can draw lines and color them in? Doomsday.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:00

You brought up my job, not me, and the reason you brought it up to try and use it as an own. Don't do the aw-shucks shit.
You've implied many times you're an artist. I said it sucks AI is taking your job, but it won't be stopped. You get angry at me.
:what:
Everyone gets angry at me for everything now.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:02
I didn't really read the discussion but rusty is wrong and fuck him.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Shillitron wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:01
Artists using apple products made by Chinese children locked in factory with bullet proof glass and suicide trampoline nets complaining that artwork can be done faster.
I don't use apple.
When Coal Miners, Truckers and other laborer's lose their job - fuck em.
I have never said this, in fact my feelings have been strongly the opposite since I matured out of libertarianism a decade ago.

AI advocates keep trying to personalize the issue to this invented, ugly artist who totally has it coming. But the AI advocates I've talked to skew very laissez faire transhumanist and really don't care about anyone losing their job, even coal miners.

Of course the reason you bring up coal miners, and not people like grocery store cashiers or call center workers, is because coal miners are red-coded, and artists (who make their politics public) tend to be blue. It's friend/enemy. Schadenfreude towards lefties losing their jobs, I get it. But the people who are profiting from AI... are also lefties. Or brown scammers.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Shillitron wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:01

When Coal Miners, Truckers and other laborer's lose their job - fuck em. Machine that can draw lines and color them in? Doomsday.
i hope every artist everywhere is replaced by AI.

EDIT: "writers" too.
Last edited by aweigh on April 1st, 2024, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

The insufferable communists were giddy at the prospect of AI eliminating jobs when people assumed the jobs that AI would take would be moving things in warehouses and on highways.

Now that we've seen that it is significantly simpler for a computer to write a news article or draw a picture than to perform manual labor, AI is as evil as nuclear energy.

An intellectually honest ideology would maybe slow down and recognize that their inability to predict the future implies something about their current trajectory too.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Aww... I bet it sucks that writers and "artists" are getting upset about being replaced by AI. Maybe if you actually made something worth a damn instead of gross Tumblr art of some fat chick with vitiligo or female empowered self insert fanfiction #18238 this wouldn't have happened. Says a lot that you can be replaced by a machine while someone like Tolkien and C.S Lewis are forever. Must be the fault of capitalism and not you sucking ass.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 1st, 2024, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

aweigh wrote: April 1st, 2024, 03:45
"artists" are annoying as fuck so i'm glad they're getting owned by AI
So much pre-AI artwork was already indistinguishable from each other, so it's not like the onset of this technology makes much of a difference. If anything it means they have to innovate, perhaps return to traditional methods like ink and paint, and charge better prices.

I once tried to commission an artist for a professional project, and they charged $1000 an hour for their work. Mind you, I wasn't speaking to Michelangelo, or some e-celeb, or a senior veteran of his craft like Les Edwards. Just a guy that drew well and had a nice aesthetic to his work. These "people" have an ego that betrays the whole "starving artist" meme, and they needed a good fast.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

AI art is still at such a mediocre level I don't see how it's replacing anyone who actually made anything in the first place. Diffusion models in particular are garbage in terms of quality despite all the advances, and the amount of time, prompt engineering, and editing it requires to bring a generated piece up to a somewhat professional standard makes it easier to just hire a professional artist. I don't think any artists have even been truly replaced yet. It's far more likely that any who claim that just got laid off because the economy is bad. The only field it will have any relevance in anytime soon is advertising because no artist wants to do that anyways and the standard of quality is low.

LLMs and Diffusion models in general are not hardly automating anything right now. They can optimize select jobs, but as said nobody who does anything is getting replaced anytime soon. All they're being used for at the corpo level so far is to sell new software tools and packages to big companies.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

The problem is a lot of modern 'art' lacks any real spiritual value, for lack of a better word - sure it's aesthetically pleasing, but often not much more than that - so AI art barely has a competition.

For example when WotC made Aragorn black - that has zero artistic value, but it's still "art". The conclusion is simple enough - unless there is an intangible value in your craft that is the result of direct human influence (which can be tangible, but perhaps not able to be articulated) you will be replaced by AI, or some form of automation.

Sad, but probably true.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:02
Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2024, 04:00

You've implied many times you're an artist. I said it sucks AI is taking your job, but it won't be stopped. You get angry at me.
:what:
Now I'm angry because you posted that cat picture and I liked it but I didn't want to feel joy. Fuck you