We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

AI-Replacing-Creatives - Lawsuits & Precedent Setting

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 00:42
I'm happy to see internet artists seethe and cope. In fact one time I wanted to commission an image from one of these subhumans, and he wanted me to pay him $1000 for a day's work. I assume most of that would be used to pay for his crippling addiction to Cheetos and Starbucks Soy Lattes but I didn't think to ask.

My affiliation with these sorts ended right then and there. Beep boop.
Let's hope you never need a lawyer, plumber or cpa.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Writing going from male to female profession goes a long way towards explaining why writing is so bad across the board.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Emphyrio wrote: May 5th, 2023, 17:37
I'm happy to see internet artists seethe and cope. In fact one time I wanted to commission an image from one of these subhumans, and he wanted me to pay him $1000 for a day's work. I assume most of that would be used to pay for his crippling addiction to Cheetos and Starbucks Soy Lattes but I didn't think to ask.

Imagine comparing a digital artist to a lawyer or plumber. What kind of fantasy world do you live in?.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 5th, 2023, 18:40

Imagine comparing a digital artist to a lawyer or plumber. What kind of fantasy world do you live in?.
The one where you're whining because somebody with a highly technical skill- which you lack- can demand high compensation. Grow up.
KnightoftheWind

Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:14

The one where you're whining because somebody with a highly technical skill- which you lack- can demand high compensation. Grow up.
That's a naive take. This dude's drawing wasn't even top-tier, in fact looking back his stuff was pretty average at best. We're not talking Da Vinci here. Not only that, but unlike a lawyer or a plumber his job doesn't require expensive materials or for him to even leave the house. He could do his job in his bedroom, with the AC blasting and a glass of cold beer. And unlike real artists of the past, he doesn't have materials to pay for. Just a digital tablet that can last for years.

A "days work" for a guy like him is probably an hour or two. So that's an hour or two worth of effort for $1000. A wage some don't even get in a week. It's his right to charge whatever he wants, but that's not a reasonable price no matter how you rationalize it.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Look at all the furries, troons, and faggots. AI art can't improve fast enough.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 6th, 2023, 00:21

That's a naive take. This dude's drawing wasn't even top-tier, in fact looking back his stuff was pretty average at best. We're not talking Da Vinci here. Not only that, but unlike a lawyer or a plumber his job doesn't require expensive materials or for him to even leave the house. He could do his job in his bedroom, with the AC blasting and a glass of cold beer. And unlike real artists of the past, he doesn't have materials to pay for. Just a digital tablet that can last for years.

A "days work" for a guy like him is probably an hour or two. So that's an hour or two worth of effort for $1000. A wage some don't even get in a week. It's his right to charge whatever he wants, but that's not a reasonable price no matter how you rationalize it.
then do it yourself
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 16:50

then do it yourself
With AI, he can! Thanks, AI.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

what's sad is that many of the pro-ai people are just seething because they failed draw-a-box and can't cope that furries and trannies are better at art than them. they take the typical right-wing approach to problem solving: do nothing. just wait for ai, developed by furries and trannies in san francisco, and bankrolled by jews, to magically solve your inability to create culture for you. let's see how that works out. no need to put in effort to develop your own creative skills, just wait around passively.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: May 6th, 2023, 16:58
Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 16:50

then do it yourself
With AI, he can! Thanks, AI.
he can't do anything with ai that he couldn't have done before with image search.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:01
he can't do anything with ai that he couldn't have done before with image search.
You have either never tried it or are flat-out lying in a fit of ideological fury. Speaking as someone who has spent hours looking for the perfect art for tokens in online tabletop games, AI gets you better results, to spec, and faster.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:05
Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:01
You have either never tried it or are flat-out lying in a fit of ideological fury. Speaking as someone who has spent hours looking for the perfect art for tokens in online tabletop games, AI gets you better results, to spec, and faster.
lol how the fuck can you spend "hours" looking for pictures of orcs and wizards
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:13
lol how the fuck can you spend "hours" looking for pictures of orcs and wizards
If you run a campaign over a long period of time and want unique art for your tokens, it adds up. I certainly didn't do it all in one sitting. I have a friend with an extensive collection of art he's scavenged and catalogued for this very purpose; I can only imagine how long that took him to assemble. It is a frequent problem that you have a concept in mind but find little preexisting art that matches. Before, your options were (edit: if you didn't want to pay somebody a thousand bucks :roll:):
  • change your concept and use different art
  • use no art
  • spend thousands of hours honing your art skills and then make it yourself
None of those strike me as very good options if you just want to play tabletop online with nice tokens. Thankfully, now you can:
  • use an AI to generate the art for you
It's fast, it doesn't sacrifice your concept, and it looks good! What's not to like?
Last edited by WhiteShark on May 6th, 2023, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

perhaps the most ridiculous notion artists have is the idea that people should commission art for a hobby
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:25
perhaps the most ridiculous notion artists have is the idea that people should commission art for a hobby
weird take. i dont care about your hobby, i care about mine. i just want ai pajeets to stop shitting up art sites with their ugly trash.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:35
i just want ai pajeets to stop shitting up art sites with their ugly trash.
have you seen the average crap made by anti-AI art people?
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

The average crap of anything is shit, so that's not a compelling argument.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Dead wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:59
Is it?
https://lexica.art/
KnightoftheWind

Just look at Deviantart and see the types you're defending. The amount of furry and fetish crap on that website is legendary. And what about the "higher tier" art?, usually the bulk of what you'll see is fan drawings of popular characters and games, nothing original. Most artists even copy off one another in terms of art style and chasing trends. It's the equivalent of Youtube influencers covering controversies and news.

A.I art removes all of this chaff from the equation, and forces these artists to stop making mediocre shit and charging an arm and a leg on commission. They actually have to EARN your money, fancy that!.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

"A-ai art will never replace TRUE and HONEST artists!" says nervous man for the tenth time this month.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 6th, 2023, 18:00
Dead wrote: May 6th, 2023, 17:59
Is it?
https://lexica.art/
That is an example of how the average crap of anything is shit.

Back on topic, it's as uninspired and techinically proficient as current human-made corporate art, so it's not like we're removing opportunities for great works of art when such professional artists get replaced. Traditionally video games don't require amazing art to be evocative as long as it's supplemented with good mechanics, writing and music, so AI creations could help small developers reduce costs and work more on other aspects of their games.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

You can start panicking now. The service based economy is nearing its end, we're on the precipice of an AI based one. I was expecting a timeline that lasted at least 5-6 years, seems like 1-2 years tops.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Tech support Indians but incorporeal
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Automation is inevitable, always has been. The only reason companies haven't embraced it sooner is because it hasn't been cost effective or efficient enough to so.

[glow=red]BUT IT IS NOW[/glow]

Only the proompters will survive, the ones who can bend the spirit of the AI to their will. Maybe all those writing classes will pay off after all.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Sweeper wrote: May 9th, 2023, 03:16

You can start panicking now. The service based economy is nearing its end, we're on the precipice of an AI based one. I was expecting a timeline that lasted at least 5-6 years, seems like 1-2 years tops.
Disagree that LLMs will replace Duolingo. If anything, Duolingo could add a chatbot to help people learn. But DL's main selling point is gamification of learning, which LLMs can't actually do very well.

edit:
Also, this FAGGOT vocal fry shit is so annoying to listen to.
Last edited by NEG on May 10th, 2023, 03:42, edited 2 times in total.