We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

maidenhaver wrote: February 14th, 2024, 21:41
Can't get enough Phantasy Star 4, any shows other than Slayers! with the same cast of mismatched adventurers led by a greedy merc chick against a worldweary budda turned villain?
I feel like there are a ton of shows like this, but I can't think of any. Slayers is probably still the best non-isekai fantasy anime.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

https://www.cbr.com/sailor-moon-new-pro ... -premiere/

This April, Sailor Moon's official live-action stage production is returning with a new look and a new cast.

Per AnimeAnime, the production team for Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 2024 recently unveiled the group that is portraying Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Venus, in addition to images of the heroines in their redesigned costumes. As in previous shows, each actor hails from the Fifth Generation of Nogizaka46, a popular music group that has performed theme songs for iconic series such as Pokémon and Naruto Shippuden. The production features two separate groups of performers -- Team Star and Team Moon -- that will take turns playing the Sailor Scouts. The below images show the members of Team Moon. The first round of performances will be held at Tokyo's IMM Theater from April 12-29.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

The_Mask wrote: March 1st, 2024, 19:38
https://www.cbr.com/sailor-moon-new-pro ... -premiere/

This April, Sailor Moon's official live-action stage production is returning with a new look and a new cast.

Per AnimeAnime, the production team for Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 2024 recently unveiled the group that is portraying Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Venus, in addition to images of the heroines in their redesigned costumes. As in previous shows, each actor hails from the Fifth Generation of Nogizaka46, a popular music group that has performed theme songs for iconic series such as Pokémon and Naruto Shippuden. The production features two separate groups of performers -- Team Star and Team Moon -- that will take turns playing the Sailor Scouts. The below images show the members of Team Moon. The first round of performances will be held at Tokyo's IMM Theater from April 12-29.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
so weird seeing them as asian women and not aryans
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yeah. Especially the blonde ones.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 1st, 2024, 23:44
It's certainly not the first time. I remember watching this back in the day.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

GhostCow wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 03:58
Nammu Archag wrote: March 1st, 2024, 23:44
It's certainly not the first time. I remember watching this back in the day.
crazy how much the japs have deswarthed themselves as well
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

maidenhaver wrote: February 14th, 2024, 21:41
Can't get enough Phantasy Star 4, any shows other than Slayers! with the same cast of mismatched adventurers led by a greedy merc chick against a worldweary budda turned villain?
If you enjoyed Slayers! then Lost Universe may be a good fit. It was written by the same author and the tone is similar.

I suggest not judging it by the earliest episodes because of this:
Wikipedia wrote:
Lost Universe ran for 26 episodes and was plagued with numerous production problems. Most notably, large amounts of the raw work for the first few episodes were destroyed in a studio fire and had to be quickly replaced, resulting in reduced quality for those episodes.
Last edited by SpellSword on March 2nd, 2024, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Any time someone makes a joke about Asians all looking the same, I realize I've spent way too much time looking at them because I can tell them apart easily
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

GhostCow wrote: March 5th, 2024, 18:16
Any time someone makes a joke about Asians all looking the same, I realize I've spent way too much time looking at them because I can tell them apart easily
The highest level of racism
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I once watched a show about the Japanese SDF entering a portal to a generic magical fantasy land. They're attacked by a medieval army but easily wipe it out with artillery, air support, firearms, etc. For the final battle, instead of using like a magic forcefield to stop bullets or something, the bad guys bring out a big ogre so the SDF shoot it with guns and it dies.
It was horrible.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 6th, 2024, 20:13
I once watched a show about the Japanese SDF entering a portal to a generic magical fantasy land. They're attacked by a medieval army but easily wipe it out with artillery, air support, firearms, etc. For the final battle, instead of using like a magic forcefield to stop bullets or something, the bad guys bring out a big ogre so the SDF shoot it with guns and it dies.
It was horrible.
Was it Gate? I just watched the first episode of that recently and it sounds like the same show
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

GhostCow wrote: March 6th, 2024, 20:31
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 6th, 2024, 20:13
It was horrible.
Was it Gate? I just watched the first episode of that recently and it sounds like the same show
Yep
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

GhostCow wrote: March 5th, 2024, 18:16
I'm thinking eye color would help a lot. I like brunettes and especially black hair, but brown eyes are all just mud to me. Can't distinguish one mud eye from the other.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Akira Toriyama has supposedly died. Wonder who is going to do the Dragon Quest designs now.
Anon

Post by Anon »

First, RIP Akira :(

Second, there are millions of people capable of copycatying his style + AI
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 8th, 2024, 03:25
Akira Toriyama has supposedly died. Wonder who is going to do the Dragon Quest designs now.
No one in good health would have announced that new Dragon Ball series
Anon

Post by Anon »

Akira was definitely a cashgrabber but still left a great legacy
Red7

Post by Red7 »

sadly, i think its the only most recent anime (anime like) stuff i liked.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Char was right. There is no point in these constant musings on humanity, possibility, understanding, etc, when nothing will change. The Federation will always be crapping on the space colonies, inciting dissent that forms into revolutionary movements that are then hijacked by crazies and then put down by protagonists who then retire and do not reform the Federation, and then the cycle repeats itself ad infinitum. As far as Victory and Gaia Gear are concerned, nothing ever changes. There is no hope in the UC timeline.

The strategy games are of the opinion that if Zeon had won, they would brought lasting peace to the Universal Century.

Manny V

Post by Manny V »

:yuck:

that is all i have to contribute here
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 06:42
The strategy games are of the opinion that if Zeon had won, they would brought lasting peace to the Universal Century.
Not just if Zeon had won, but if Zeon under Gihren had won specifically - humanity enters a new golden age of peace and prosperity.

Also, Zeon did literally nothing wrong. They had the choice of either fighting a "fair" war for independence and getting crushed by the overwhelming disparity in manpower and industrial capacity the Federation could bring to bear, or embrace the necessary brutality to deny the Federation those advantages.

If anyone is to blame for all the death and tragedy, it's the Federation (((elites))).
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

gerey wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 08:47
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 06:42
Not just if Zeon had won, but if Zeon under Gihren had won specifically - humanity enters a new golden age of peace and prosperity.

Also, Zeon did literally nothing wrong. They had the choice of either fighting a "fair" war for independence and getting crushed by the overwhelming disparity in manpower and industrial capacity the Federation could bring to bear, or embrace the necessary brutality to deny the Federation those advantages.

If anyone is to blame for all the death and tragedy, it's the Federation (((elites))).
I don't think Zeon are totally blameless. They have the advantage of already being up in space where it is fast, cheap, and easy to move stuff around, while the Federation is based on earth where their launch sites are limited, and launching stuff into space is very expensive. If Zeon can pacify the other colonies (be it by recruiting them or convincing to just not interfere), then Zeon has no threats against it in space and just has to prevent the Federation from getting stuff up into space, which should be pretty easy. Observe Federation launch sites and move forces into position to intercept anything coming up. No need to wage a pointless land war, and committing mass murder and chucking space colonies down at the earth was probably unnecessary.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 08:56
They have the advantage of already being up in space where it is fast, cheap, and easy to move stuff around, while the Federation is based on earth where their launch sites are limited, and launching stuff into space is very expensive.
That's not the reality of UC. The Federation robs the colonies of vast amounts of food, water and materiel they produce, and even tax them on the literal air they breathe. They have bases on all the Sides, and many colonial governments are their puppets. Naval command is on the Moon.
and just has to prevent the Federation from getting stuff up into space, which should be pretty easy
If only the Federation navy didn't dwarf Zeon's by orders of magnitude.
Observe Federation launch sites and move forces into position to intercept anything coming up
Again, Zeon lacks the resources to establish total orbital superiority.
No need to wage a pointless land war, and committing mass murder and chucking space colonies down at the earth was probably unnecessary.
Zeon had to land on Earth because the Federation refused to surrender, and they knew that if they didn't win the war quickly, they'd just be ground into defeat via attrition. Hell, by that point Zeon was running on fumes anyway, the Earth invasion was a last-ditch attempt to force the Federation back to the negotiating table.

They nuke and gassed other colonies because those colonies were supplying manpower to the Federation, and the colony drop was meant to destroy the Federation's main manufacturing facility, Jaburo, which had been built to withstand anything short of a colony drop.

Zeon did literally nothing wrong, the Federation forced them to engage in atrocities because that was the only way they had a minuscule chance of winning.

Gundam Unicorn itself hammered in the fact that Zeon was in the right. The Federation was an illegal entity, Claus 9 of the Universal Century charter granted the colonies independence, but the Federation elites made sure to bury that information.
Last edited by gerey on March 23rd, 2024, 09:53, edited 3 times in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Made the mistake of watching Sword Art Online for the first time. I am no stranger to the controversy it received since it's initial airing in 2013, but watching it now I can see why people got upset. Aside from the bog-standard weaboo art style and overthetop characters, the story has an interesting setup but does absolutely nothing with it. It essentially did the "isekai" and battle royale concept before those genres became mainstream, by trapping thousands of players in a virtual reality MMO from which they can not escape from, but the pacing is awful and the characters are barely characters at all. Edgy, effeminate tranime dude with short black hair who wants to be "the best"?, check. Tranime girl with candy-colored hair that's bipolar, and with a romantic arc that feels unearned, check. And each new episode is unrelated to the last as it timeskips constantly. You are never given any time to care about anything that's happening, and to top it all off that initial 'hook' in the beginning has a terrible payoff that abruptly ends halfway through the first season. If a show drastically reboots itself like that so quickly, you know something must have gone wrong.

I stopped watching after that halfway point, because why bother?. If the writers have such little respect for my time, I don't see any reason to give them more of it. It's a 4/10 from me, and justifies my firm belief in avoiding 98% of anime. They all look, sound, and play out exactly the same time and time again. Even young teens would be hard-pressed to sit through the entire series.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 25th, 2024, 23:57
Made the mistake of watching Sword Art Online for the first time. I am no stranger to the controversy it received since it's initial airing in 2013, but watching it now I can see why people got upset. Aside from the bog-standard weaboo art style and overthetop characters, the story has an interesting setup but does absolutely nothing with it. It essentially did the "isekai" and battle royale concept before those genres became mainstream, by trapping thousands of players in a virtual reality MMO from which they can not escape from, but the pacing is awful and the characters are barely characters at all. Edgy, effeminate tranime dude with short black hair who wants to be "the best"?, check. Tranime girl with candy-colored hair that's bipolar, and with a romantic arc that feels unearned, check. And each new episode is unrelated to the last as it timeskips constantly. You are never given any time to care about anything that's happening, and to top it all off that initial 'hook' in the beginning has a terrible payoff that abruptly ends halfway through the first season. If a show drastically reboots itself like that so quickly, you know something must have gone wrong.

I stopped watching after that halfway point, because why bother?. If the writers have such little respect for my time, I don't see any reason to give them more of it. It's a 4/10 from me, and justifies my firm belief in avoiding 98% of anime. They all look, sound, and play out exactly the same time and time again. Even young teens would be hard-pressed to sit through the entire series.
It was made explicitly for 2010s japanese teens to think it was cool for 1 season, it was never going to hold up.