We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

great video. hopefully this makes it into a Yakuza sub-story eventually!
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I'm doing a rewatch of Kemono Jihen with some friends that have never seen it. I forgot how much I love Kon. She is the best fox girl of all time. The best aho girl too.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Kon is the cutest retard ever and has been upgraded to my favorite girl of all time
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

i wish japan still made cool anime instead of little kid crybaby stuff.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Emphyrio wrote: October 5th, 2023, 17:33
i wish japan still made cool anime instead of little kid crybaby stuff.

Watch Kemono Jihen. It has plenty of gore and rape
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Oddly enough a lot of the old niche anime is free on streamers like Tubi while the more well known stuff you need whatever gay anime streamer for. I like Tubi because it has stuff from the 50's and 60's which Netflix and Prime do not give a fuck about. A little off topic but check them out.

https://tubitv.com/movies/478276/wicked-city

I feel like I said this already somewhere maybe here but whatever.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Imagine streaming when high quality uncompressed torrents exist
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It's time for GhostCow's seasonal round up, HQ edition - Summer 2023

Mushoku Tensei season 2, part 1
Mushoku Tensei is literally my favorite anime of all time and it continues to be something that I relate to way too much. 10/10

Zom 100
A guy working for a black company is happy when the zombie apocalypse happens because he doesn't have to go to work anymore.

It's a pretty decent show. I appreciate that they use random colors for the blood and such because it gives the show a bit of style and keeps it from getting too gross. This one went on indefinite hiatus at episode 9 due to production issues. I would rate the first nine episodes as 7/10, but it looks like the last three are going to start a pretty retarded arc and I will probably drop the score down once they release.

Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen - Ketsubetsu-tan
This show needs no introduction. A lot of care has been put into the final arc and Kubo has even addressed some of the manga reader's complaints with the anime version. It's very enjoyable if you are a Bleach fan. 8/10.

Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha
Wataru Sajou is infamous in his school for persistently seeking the attention of his crush, Aika Natsukawa. His usual day revolves around shadowing her and confessing his undying love at every turn. However, a moment of epiphany leads Wataru to relinquish his childish behavior and face the reality that she will never return his one-sided feelings. He distances himself from Aika and spends his newfound spare time with his friends and in the company of other lovely girls.

This is possibly the most 5/10 anime I've ever seen in my life. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just bland. Also the MC has a crush on the worst girl. He should have been going after the JC with the huge tits instead.

Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2nd Season
Most people should already know what this is. I actually enjoyed this a lot more than the previous seasons. It was nice that they finally wrapped up a few things and advanced the story a lot. 8/10. I don't think this will be getting more seasons and I'm ok with that.

Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu
The Maine Coon is one of the largest domesticated cat breeds, standing out among other cats for its impressive size and intelligence. But regular salarywoman Saku Fukuzawa has a hard time explaining why her rescued black cat now towers over her. Yukichi is no run-of-the-mill cat; he is a masterful feline who has taken charge of the chores in the Fukuzawa household. While his master rushes to catch the train during the morning rush hour and works late into the night, the giant cat is diligently packing Saku's lunch, cooking her meals, cleaning their home, and buying groceries.

This was a nice slice of life with a very cute retarded OL as the main character. It sounds dumb, but it's far more enjoyable than you would think from the description despite a slow episode or two near the start. 9/10 and anime of the season for Summer 2023

Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid 2nd Season
I fucking hate musicals, but I love this anime for some reason. The songs weren't as good as the first season, so I rated it 9/10 as opposed to the 10/10 I gave season 1. Really a fantastic anime that is underwatched due to it being 3DCG.

FLCL Grunge
Everyone knew this was going to be shit and it was, but the first episode did give me that same feeling I got from the original FLCL, so I can't rate it lower than 5/10.
Last edited by GhostCow on October 15th, 2023, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Here's a few recommendations from me:

Overtake!

Fairly typical Japanese sprot anime autism, thought it's nicely animated and manages to stay fairly grounded. It's about Formula 4, specifically about a family trying to compete with meager resources, and a photographer suffering from trauma that gets inspired by the young driver. Too early to tell if it will maintain quality.

Spy x Family

Second season has just started, and it's fairly fun, remains to be seen if the season will move the overall plot forward or it will stay focused on the slice-of-life stuff.

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End

Long-lived female elf mage is forced to confront the reality that her adventuring companions will die long before her, and follows her attempts to come to terms with the feelings of loss, along with more adventuring. Very melancholy in places and can function as an post-epilogue of sorts for the stereotypical jRPG.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Dyke Witch from Mercury

This was a weird one. Very good soundtrack and fight choreography in places, but brought down by abysmal worldbuilding and plot. At no point did I have a good grasp about the past history of the setting, who the factions were, how they related to each other, how the world the characters inhabit became what it was. The show also struggled because the writers apparently couldn't decide what they wanted it to be - lesbian romance, academy shonen action, political/conspiracy thriller, war drama?

Ultimately, what we ended getting was an undercooked story that doesn't deliver on any of those, with the hilarious post-release retconning of the dyke romance by Bandai, making the two protagonists just friends.

Still, this is a project that highlights the problem with Gundam shows - the inability to move out of the shadow of the original, constantly retreading over the same ideas and tropes, just with different names.

Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku

Manlet and yamato nadeshiko go on a troon genocide. In seriousness, it's another generic seinen battle anime with the same tried and true premise - bunch of murderous weirdos are put in a dangerous locale and need to survive. Problem with this one is that the manlet protagonist is incredibly uninteresting, bordering on a Gary Stu. The main draw is the weird monster designs and the mystery surrounding the antagonists, but even that is not enough to keep the plot going forward, so we end up with boring fight after boring fight.

Speaks volumes that I liked the blonde, but earnest, dumbass samurai that was in the show for a total of a few scenes over the murderhobo MC.

All in all, I wasn't particularly impressed by it. I guess I liked the designs of the female samurai and the ninja chick.
Last edited by gerey on October 15th, 2023, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is such a great anime. I wish I had saved all the screenshots of great quotes I've taken from it over the last two years. Here's the latest one.

KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Anime was great when it tried to blend American and Japanese styles. You can especially see that in Hayao Miyazaki's earlier works like Sherlock Hound, and the relatively below-average Little Nemo film. Some of the 90s Lupin III movies are great too, and they were animated by TMS which did a lot of work on western cartoons back in the day. I think the genre as a whole died when the move to Digital animation was made in the 2000s. You can really see the quality and effort decline sharply from then on, and it paved the way for a LOT of mediocre content to be pumped out ad nauseum, all sharing the exact same visual aesthetic and character archetypes. It wasn't always weeb shit, but it ended up that way. The talent is gone, that's for sure.

I can't even stomach any of the shows/movies made in the past decade. They must all be made for young women, because they feature a mostly female cast and feature characters that behave very strangely.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

KnightoftheWind wrote: October 27th, 2023, 20:10
Anime was great when it tried to blend American and Japanese styles. You can especially see that in Hayao Miyazaki's earlier works like Sherlock Hound, and the relatively below-average Little Nemo film. Some of the 90s Lupin III movies are great too, and they were animated by TMS which did a lot of work on western cartoons back in the day. I think the genre as a whole died when the move to Digital animation was made in the 2000s. You can really see the quality and effort decline sharply from then on, and it paved the way for a LOT of mediocre content to be pumped out ad nauseum, all sharing the exact same visual aesthetic and character archetypes. It wasn't always weeb shit, but it ended up that way. The talent is gone, that's for sure.

I can't even stomach any of the shows/movies made in the past decade. They must all be made for young women, because they feature a mostly female cast and feature characters that behave very strangely.
Stop being biased towards old shit and watch Odd Taxi. If you watch Odd Taxi and think it isn't good, then it's proof that you are unreasonably biased and don't actually have taste.
KnightoftheWind

GhostCow wrote: October 27th, 2023, 20:16

Stop being biased towards old shit and watch Odd Taxi. If you watch Odd Taxi and think it isn't good, then it's proof that you are unreasonably biased and don't actually have taste.
4chan users would call that "forced soul". It still carries that same digital-era aesthetic that leaves it feeling hollow and derivative. It's not a matter of "old = good", but a matter of the skills, techniques and methods being lost to time, as well as the direction that modern anime directors have pushed the industry in for years. Every anime now is about some schoolgirl or angsty teen spouting nihilistic drivel while being unable to control his/her emotions, or emphasizing how he/she wants to the best no matter what, and how friends are what matter most despite everything revolving around the main character and what he/she does alone. The old paper-and-paint method wasn't easy, but it produced far better results, and the people in charge had a better vision and a better head on their shoulders. They were influenced by the Golden Age of American Animation, not...whatever the new guys are nowadays.
Last edited by KnightoftheWind on October 27th, 2023, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

KnightoftheWind wrote: October 27th, 2023, 20:21
4chan users would call that "forced soul". It still carries that same digital-era aesthetic that leaves it feeling hollow and derivative. It's not a matter of "old = good", but a matter of the skills, techniques and methods being lost to time, as well as the direction that modern anime directors have pushed the industry in for years. Every anime now is about some schoolgirl or angsty teen spouting nihilistic drivel while being unable to control his/her emotions, or emphasizing how he/she wants to the best no matter what, and how friends are what matter most despite everything revolving around the main character and what he/she does alone. The old paper-and-paint method wasn't easy, but it produced far better results, and the people in charge had a better vision and a better head on their shoulders. They were influenced by the Golden Age of American Animation, not...whatever the news guy are nowadays.
Everything you are writing here just screams "I don't actually watch anime". There are plenty of good shows still being made and there are some fantastic looking ones out there. If anything, you are probably more addicted to the nostalgia that comes with the grainy coloring of older stuff. Also, Miyazaki is shit and I fucking hate the art style in all of his movies. "Soul" has become a meme word parroted by midwits and needs to be erased from the lexicon at this point.

Odd Taxi may not be as philosophical as LotGH, but the writing is definitely on par and it's nothing like any of the stuff you are complaining about here. I'm only commenting on the writing though, you may not like the art or animation. If you want to see some great animation, check out Kill la Kill, Mushoku Tensei (also has amazing art on top of amazing animation), or One Punch Man. All stuff from the last decade.

I could probably recommend a lot of good stuff from the past decade if I had a better idea of what your taste is, assuming it lines up with mine at all. I'd guess it probably doesn't even though I like a very wide variety of stuff.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

GhostCow wrote: October 27th, 2023, 19:58
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is such a great anime.
I thought it was overall good, but not the most amazing thing ever like its fan cult makes it out to be. Most of the show was characters standing around and talking about basic philosophy. The show did not need to be 110 episodes long. If you trimmed the fat it could've probably been 60. Also, the show's screentime is split between two factions, but while the Empire side is enjoyable to watch with Reinhard and his admirals going around shaking up the Empire and having camaraderie, I found the FPA side to be very boring watch as most the admirals there aren't interesting and just do whatever the one dimensional evil senate tells them to do. The FPA side only starts becoming interesting to watch in the last 1/3rd of the show when Yang goes rogue and is trying to do his own thing at El Facil and Iserlohn.

I can't even stomach any of the shows/movies made in the past decade.
I thought Fate/Zero and Log Horizon S1 were great. Behind that, there is Ascendance of a Bookworm which is kinda good, but very sluggish. Makoto's Shinkai's movies Your Name/Weathering with You/Suzume are overrated but were fun. Behind that, the first two seasons of Food Wars, and the first 7 episodes of Rising of the Shield Hero were good. The first season of Made in Abyss was also okay (and I guess the movie too) but season 2 was boring. Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans was a mixed bag; it had good aesthetics, a refreshing setting, and crunchy melee combat, but the pacing was sluggish, and the animation isn't that good.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on October 27th, 2023, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I've enjoyed all of Overlord so far. It gets around being a pure power fantasy by putting a lot of focus on side characters and being generally amusing.
KnightoftheWind

GhostCow wrote: October 27th, 2023, 20:34
KnightoftheWind wrote: October 27th, 2023, 20:21
4chan users would call that "forced soul". It still carries that same digital-era aesthetic that leaves it feeling hollow and derivative. It's not a matter of "old = good", but a matter of the skills, techniques and methods being lost to time, as well as the direction that modern anime directors have pushed the industry in for years. Every anime now is about some schoolgirl or angsty teen spouting nihilistic drivel while being unable to control his/her emotions, or emphasizing how he/she wants to the best no matter what, and how friends are what matter most despite everything revolving around the main character and what he/she does alone. The old paper-and-paint method wasn't easy, but it produced far better results, and the people in charge had a better vision and a better head on their shoulders. They were influenced by the Golden Age of American Animation, not...whatever the news guy are nowadays.
Everything you are writing here just screams "I don't actually watch anime". There are plenty of good shows still being made and there are some fantastic looking ones out there. If anything, you are probably more addicted to the nostalgia that comes with the grainy coloring of older stuff. Also, Miyazaki is shit and I fucking hate the art style in all of his movies. "Soul" has become a meme word parroted by midwits and needs to be erased from the lexicon at this point.

Odd Taxi may not be as philosophical as LotGH, but the writing is definitely on par and it's nothing like any of the stuff you are complaining about here. I'm only commenting on the writing though, you may not like the art or animation. If you want to see some great animation, check out Kill la Kill, Mushoku Tensei (also has amazing art on top of amazing animation), or One Punch Man. All stuff from the last decade.

I could probably recommend a lot of good stuff from the past decade if I had a better idea of what your taste is, assuming it lines up with mine at all. I'd guess it probably doesn't even though I like a very wide variety of stuff.
I've seen a few, but not many. I enjoyed Promised Neverland, Monster (2004) and used to find Re;Zero enjoyable before my tastes changed. I find a lot of anime borderline sociopathic. All of the characters are deplorable, unlikeable, or just behave so strangely that I can't connect with them. I once had the misfortune of watching Future Diary, and I feel THAT series represents everything wrong with anime nowadays. What's even scarier is that they want you to percieve these characters as appealing, or even normal in their actions. That's the impression I get, because so many animes feature "beta male" simp characters or aggressive, overthetop ones with God complexes. It's become a parody of itself. So no, I don't have to watch "Go! Go! Princess Idol Fest" or whatever other slop is currently out to get an idea of how bad things have gotten. Also I tried Kill la Kill, it's cringe.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: October 27th, 2023, 21:38
I thought it was overall good, but not the most amazing thing ever like its fan cult makes it out to be. Most of the show was characters standing around and talking about basic philosophy.
That alone is enough to make it a lot more high brow than most anime. Not many shows touch on that stuff. I can't even think of another one.
WhiteShark wrote: October 27th, 2023, 21:41
I've enjoyed all of Overlord so far. It gets around being a pure power fantasy by putting a lot of focus on side characters and being generally amusing.
I got as far as episode 6 of season 3 and dropped it. It felt like the show never gets to the point if it even has one. None of the interesting things in the story even get touched on. Where does that power that forces Ainz to act like an undead come from? How did he end up in that world? Why is that world so much like the game he used to play? None of these things are ever touched on or explored at all and that annoys me to no end. It's just an evil guy doing evil stuff with some (very stupid) comedy thrown in. Shalltear would be pretty hot if her boobs weren't fake though. She's probably the best thing about the show.
KnightoftheWind wrote: October 27th, 2023, 22:16
I once had the misfortune of watching Future Diary, and I feel THAT series represents everything wrong with anime nowadays. What's even scarier is that they want you to percieve these characters as appealing, or even normal in their actions.
I don't know if that holds true for Future Diary. There aren't really any good guys in that anime. A lot of people like Yuno though because the idea of a girl who loves you so much that she wants to kill you is hot. I personally have a real thing for that. The hottest thing I've ever heard a girl say was something like "I'm going to dig a grave, stab you and put you in it, then climb in and stab myself so we can be together forever." Maybe I just want to die and end my time in clown world ASAP.

Here's 4chan's opinion on the subject. I agree with a lot of these posts.

That's the impression I get, because so many animes feature "beta male" simp characters or aggressive, overthetop ones with God complexes. It's become a parody of itself. So no, I don't have to watch "Go! Go! Princess Idol Fest" or whatever other slop is currently out to get an idea of how bad things have gotten.
I think the simp characters are just how Japanese guys are these days. Or at least it holds true for most otaku and otaku are the ones making anime. There's a reason the birthrate is so low in Japan.
Also I tried Kill la Kill, it's cringe.
Shit taste confirmed. This was my favorite anime for like 7 years until Golden Kamuy dethroned it.
Last edited by GhostCow on October 27th, 2023, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I find a lot of anime borderline sociopathic. All of the characters are deplorable, unlikeable, or just behave so strangely that I can't connect with them. I once had the misfortune of watching Future Diary, and I feel THAT series represents everything wrong with anime nowadays. What's even scarier is that they want you to percieve these characters as appealing, or even normal in their actions.
I'm with GhostCow on this one. I think the characters in Future Diary were intentionally portrayed as extremely flawed, albeit with some sympathetic moments or facets. In other words, the characters are largely sociopathic, but I don't think the writers are. I honestly love Future Diary. Yuno is the perfect yandere and carries the whole show.
GhostCow wrote: October 27th, 2023, 23:40
I got as far as episode 6 of season 3 and dropped it. It felt like the show never gets to the point if it even has one. None of the interesting things in the story even get touched on. Where does that power that forces Ainz to act like an undead come from? How did he end up in that world? Why is that world so much like the game he used to play? None of these things are ever touched on or explored at all and that annoys me to no end. It's just an evil guy doing evil stuff with some (very stupid) comedy thrown in. Shalltear would be pretty hot if her boobs weren't fake though. She's probably the best thing about the show.
I'll grant that it hasn't done much with the central mystery, but there are hints that it's moving towards it. I'm in no rush. The original light novel series is pretty long so I'm assuming we're just not that far into it yet. Agreed about Shalltear.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I was looking through the stuff I've given a 10 in the last few years and was reminded of how great the art is in the Urusei Yatsura remake from last year. It's much closer to Rumiko's style than the original anime and it just looks amazing. It's also probably my favorite comedy of all time. It beats the shit out of any of her other stuff. It also helps that Lum is played by Sumire Uesaka, who is my favorite female seiyuu and one of my favorite idols. Both OPs for it are top tier too.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've been rewatching Meikyuu Black Company with a couple of friends who haven't seen it. The second ED ranks at least #2 in my top 10. Motion captured 3d was an interesting choice because there isn't any 3d in the anime. Also Rim is the cutest dragon girl of all time.

Here's a video of the girl they motion captured for the ED. The dance isn't anywhere near as cute in real life.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Last edited by Dead on November 19th, 2023, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Tsunako is one of the best character designers of all time. Up there with Rumiko. I can't get over how cute and comfy this particular image is. Nothing would be better than walking into your living room on a cold winter day and seeing this.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

The second ED song for Helck is so fucking good. Nips really know how to do fantasy.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I was listening to the Doom Eternal soundtrack when I read your link. I feel so ready for a new "Restoration" lol.