We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
GhostCow

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Post by GhostCow »

I started watching Bakemonogatari because a friend kept bugging me about it. In the first episode, I fucking hated the main girl. By episode three, I wanted her to step on me. I couldn't explain it. Then in episode 6 I finally figured out what I like about her.
100% my type
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I cancelled my Crunchyroll subscription. I had long since watched all of the good stuff on it that appealed to me. I am watching CyBuster on Amazon Prime (I really like the dad who is investigating the bad guys on the side, feels like you hardly ever see the MC's dad be a prominent character in an anime) but once I finish that there will only be a small handful of other shows on it worth watching. Otherwise, everything I am interested (old shows and OVAs) aren't available for streaming anywhere.

I can't think of any current shows that interest me. The low production values and the plastic look with all of the filters smeared over the image are a real turn off. I checked out the first dozen episodes of the new Pokemon show but it lacked the adventure feel and the endearing cast of the original show so I dropped it. The latest Gundam show downplayed its Gundam part in favor of being a lesbian romance/high school battle show.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: August 10th, 2023, 08:21
Otherwise, everything I am interested (old shows and OVAs) aren't available for streaming anywhere.
This site has a lot of old OVAs and shows, it's possible something you want to watch might be there.

https://www.wcofun.org/anime/record-of-lodoss-war
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I HATE the CGI look on new shows too. Anything that look like a video game will not get my watch. I forgive tracing over a 3d model of something inorganic like a car or airplane, but some recent shows like Chainsaw Man have these zombies that appear to be left4dead zombies with an anime filter over them.

(Computer animation isn't even the problem in itself I liked the show Reboot. It's the faux-2d look that's tacky)
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu actually has pretty good 3d. I think I'm ok with it because it's not choppy and they don't mix it with the 2d too much. They mostly use it for getting crazy with the camera. Here's a short clip from the intro because I badly want to slap the main character's butt and I'm not even a guy who cares about butts.

I wish I had a cute retard wife like her. I wouldn't even care that I'd have to do pretty much everything for her.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Here's another clip from the intro that shows off the 3d a lot better. It's obviously different from 2d which makes it not as good to anyone used to 2d, but I still think it looks pretty great.

Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

It doesn't look bad for 3D since it imitates hand-drawn styles better than the usual 3D stuff. But the low framerate looks bad.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It doesn't look low frame rate to me. At least not for video. I'd guess it's 24 or 30fps. Nothing like the choppy shit that was done for the Trigun remake at least.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Switching to 3D made people abuse camera angles too much, making scenes look jarring.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

My brother in law was watching Jujutsu Kaisen last night and the bits I saw actually looked cool. Is it worth watching?
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I know I'm going to sound like an old man, but I think I love the old style Trigun had more than the new one.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

WhiteShark wrote: August 25th, 2023, 00:14
My brother in law was watching Jujutsu Kaisen last night and the bits I saw actually looked cool. Is it worth watching?
First season is really good. Some of the best shonenshit I've seen in a long time. The movie didn't impress me and season 2 is currently airing.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I just watched the new One Piece show, and it was pretty good. Rumours say that Oda was involved, and you can tell: it's very close to the manga. And it's pretty amazing.

Goes to show that when you care about your work, everyone has to adhere.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

what's the name of the japanese horror movie that's like a documentary and it has invisible space worms or something and a detective is trying to crack the case and maybe there's an abortion graveyard or something? I might be getting two different movies mixed up here.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Emphyrio wrote: September 8th, 2023, 23:26
what's the name of the japanese horror movie that's like a documentary and it has invisible space worms or something and a detective is trying to crack the case and maybe there's an abortion graveyard or something? I might be getting two different movies mixed up here.
This is what ChatGPT said:
It sounds like you might be combining elements from two different Japanese horror movies. The first part of your description about a documentary-style Japanese horror movie with invisible space worms and a detective trying to crack the case doesn't correspond to any well-known Japanese horror film that I'm aware of.

However, the mention of an abortion graveyard could be related to the 2001 Japanese horror film "Kairo" (Pulse), directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. "Kairo" deals with themes of loneliness, isolation, and death in the digital age, and it includes a subplot involving an abandoned building that is referred to as an "abortion clinic" in the movie. While it doesn't feature invisible space worms, it does have supernatural elements related to ghosts and the afterlife.

If you're thinking of a different movie with invisible space worms, it's possible that it's a less well-known or obscure film, and I don't have information on every obscure or lesser-known Japanese horror movie. If you have more specific details or can provide additional information, I may be able to assist you further in identifying the film you're thinking of.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nemesis wrote: September 9th, 2023, 00:03
This is what ChatGPT said:
It sounds like you might be combining elements from two different Japanese horror movies. The first part of your description about a documentary-style Japanese horror movie with invisible space worms and a detective trying to crack the case doesn't correspond to any well-known Japanese horror film that I'm aware of.

However, the mention of an abortion graveyard could be related to the 2001 Japanese horror film "Kairo" (Pulse), directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. "Kairo" deals with themes of loneliness, isolation, and death in the digital age, and it includes a subplot involving an abandoned building that is referred to as an "abortion clinic" in the movie. While it doesn't feature invisible space worms, it does have supernatural elements related to ghosts and the afterlife.

If you're thinking of a different movie with invisible space worms, it's possible that it's a less well-known or obscure film, and I don't have information on every obscure or lesser-known Japanese horror movie. If you have more specific details or can provide additional information, I may be able to assist you further in identifying the film you're thinking of.
pay for gpt4, noob
The movie you're describing sounds like "Kairo" (also known as "Pulse"), directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa and released in 2001. While "Kairo" doesn't exactly feature "invisible space worms," it does involve a mysterious force—manifested through the Internet—that leads people to become increasingly isolated and eventually disappear. The movie incorporates some elements of horror and mystery and might be interpreted as an allegory for existential dread or social alienation.

However, the elements of a "detective" and an "abortion graveyard" do not appear to be part of "Kairo," so it's possible you're mixing it with another film. There are many Japanese horror films with varying themes, but none come to mind that fit all the criteria you mentioned.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I guess chatgpt sucks even if you pay for it cuz Pulse is nothing like what I described. It's this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noroi:_The_Curse
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Emphyrio wrote: September 9th, 2023, 00:21
I guess chatgpt sucks even if you pay for it cuz Pulse is nothing like what I described. It's this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noroi:_The_Curse
it doesn't feature "space worms"
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

Might be thinking of Occult. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occult_(film) It features space/interdimensional jellyfish things at the very end, and a guy with a tentacle/worm "cosmic" horror head at one point. And getting it mixed up/combining it with Noroi which has a scene with ghost foetuses.

lol at chatgpt completely making stuff up but saying it authoritatively so people believe it. the blind idiot god. what you described has 0 to do with Kairo.
junior

Post by junior »

Possibly one of the worst duels I have seen in an anime.
The goblin chieftain just swinging his sabre blindly definitely made this one, didn't expect to laugh this hard.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Don't you dare make fun of Record of Lodoss War. It's the only anime I like.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Watched it a while back. Loved it, can't wait for the second season.
It's like Kingsman, but anime, and with ability granting cards.
Enjoyable protag and side characters.
Pajeet, despite being present, doesn't have that much of a screen time.
Whole anime is drawn really nicely.

And yeah, it's just another shounen-like type, but at least it doesn't drag.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Dead wrote: September 26th, 2023, 00:31
Is Boogiepop Phantom good?
Boogiepop Phantom isn't the first part of that series, if you are interested I'd suggest either reading the book "Boogiepop and Others" or watching the film based on it first as Boogiepop Phantom takes place in the aftermath of that book's events.
► Boogiepop and Others
As for if its good, that depends on the type of anime you like. It is not a bright shonen battle anime... it is more of a dark mystery kind of show. Hard to give it a review without spoilers as I think one of the main draws for that one is figuring out what exactly is going on and why.
:Inspector:
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Most urban fantasy anime just makes me want to rewatch xxxHOLiC instead.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

SpellSword wrote: September 26th, 2023, 02:14
It is not a bright shonen battle anime... it is more of a dark mystery kind of show.
That is fine. I'm not looking for a bright shonen anime. I'll try watching the movie first.