We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

A Chinese opium den wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:11
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 25th, 2024, 23:57
Made the mistake of watching Sword Art Online for the first time. I am no stranger to the controversy it received since it's initial airing in 2013, but watching it now I can see why people got upset. Aside from the bog-standard weaboo art style and overthetop characters, the story has an interesting setup but does absolutely nothing with it. It essentially did the "isekai" and battle royale concept before those genres became mainstream, by trapping thousands of players in a virtual reality MMO from which they can not escape from, but the pacing is awful and the characters are barely characters at all. Edgy, effeminate tranime dude with short black hair who wants to be "the best"?, check. Tranime girl with candy-colored hair that's bipolar, and with a romantic arc that feels unearned, check. And each new episode is unrelated to the last as it timeskips constantly. You are never given any time to care about anything that's happening, and to top it all off that initial 'hook' in the beginning has a terrible payoff that abruptly ends halfway through the first season. If a show drastically reboots itself like that so quickly, you know something must have gone wrong.

I stopped watching after that halfway point, because why bother?. If the writers have such little respect for my time, I don't see any reason to give them more of it. It's a 4/10 from me, and justifies my firm belief in avoiding 98% of anime. They all look, sound, and play out exactly the same time and time again. Even young teens would be hard-pressed to sit through the entire series.
It was made explicitly for 2010s japanese teens to think it was cool for 1 season, it was never going to hold up.
I'm not very critical when I consume media. I tend to pull a lot of the weight for whatever it is by doing a lot of the work in my own head. Because of this there is a lot of 'bad' media that I can enjoy, at least the first time I experience it.

Sword Art Online is one of those shows that I enjoyed while I watched it, but looking back realize that it was really very bad. I actually think that the GunGale arc was better, but its been so long since I watched either that I couldn't tell you why -- I'm basically just going off the memory of how I felt at the time. In fact, I think a lot of anime are like this. I can enjoy them while I watch them, then I look back and say to myself, "Never doing that again."
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Everybody gets 1 Isekai and 1 VRMMO show they like before trying others and realizing they're all shit derivatives.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:39
Everybody gets 1 Isekai and 1 VRMMO show they like before trying others and realizing they're all shit derivatives.
What about time loop shows?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WhiteShark wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:41
My 1 Isekai was also a time loop show
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

Steins;Gate was good.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by OnTilt on March 26th, 2024, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I like several time loop shows, actually. They are much more varied than isekais usually are.
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:43
My 1 Isekai was also a time loop show
Re:zero? I enjoyed that one.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

OnTilt wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:48
Steins;Gate was good.
► Show Spoiler
I like Steins;Gate. Steins;Gate 0 though....
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

And yet, Log Horizon and Overlord are both and both are good. Is that the secret to surpassing those genres' genkai?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I'm actually surprised you liked it because you kind of have to be a NEET or badly want to be one for it to have the full impact on you. 10/10 anime for me
Last edited by GhostCow on March 26th, 2024, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

GhostCow wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:56
I'm actually surprised you liked it because you kind of have to be a NEET or badly want to be one for it to have the full impact on you. 10/10 anime for me
I recall being at a very low point in my life when I watched it tbh
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

That was one of my introductory anime's. I should watch it again. And yeah, I was basically a NEET at the time. (I worked, but all I did was suffer through work to come home and play WoW)
Last edited by OnTilt on March 26th, 2024, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

OnTilt wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:19

Sword Art Online is one of those shows that I enjoyed while I watched it, but looking back realize that it was really very bad. I actually think that the GunGale arc was better, but its been so long since I watched either that I couldn't tell you why -- I'm basically just going off the memory of how I felt at the time. In fact, I think a lot of anime are like this. I can enjoy them while I watch them, then I look back and say to myself, "Never doing that again."
For me this was Fairy Tail. I refuse to rewatch any of it so as to not tarnish my memory of it.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

The Aincrad arc of SAO was solid. Not a masterpiece, but the characters were likeable and the show maintained high enough tension to keep me engaged through to the end. Is also one of the small handful of anime where the relationship matriculates during the show rather than in a 5 minute epilogue. The second arc where they go to the elf land is where the tension dies out and the show becomes boring to watch.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Shinsekai yori

Watch that shit and tell me they're "all" generic.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

BobT wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:13
Shinsekai yori

Watch that shit and tell me they're "all" generic.
One of my favorites, actually told a good story and had a satisfying ending.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

This talk is making me want to watch an anime now. I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story. I may just rewatch Monster, I don't think I ever finished it the first time. Suggestions would be nice if anyone knows of a good one.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

OnTilt wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:31
This talk is making me want to watch an anime now. I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story. I may just rewatch Monster, I don't think I ever finished it the first time. Suggestions would be nice if anyone knows of a good one.
In that vein, I think pluto got an adaptation recently and it was another Naoki Urasawa story. I've only read the manga but it was very good, I would highly recommend reading it, and the anime is probably good if you want something to watch.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Not a fan of robot/AI-themed science fiction. They're almost always propaganda pieces for transhumanism or something to that effect. Hopefully 20th Century Boys gets an adaptation, though.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

is chronicles of narnia, wizard of oz, or alice in wonderland the better isekai?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:55
is chronicles of narnia, wizard of oz, or alice in wonderland the better isekai?
the last starfighter.
A Chinese opium den

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:55
Chronicles of Narnia, if CS Lewis was born a little more yellow and slant eyed it would be an instant JP classic light novel series.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story.
Seirei no Moribito. It's about a female mercenary who is hired by the empress of medieval fantasy Japan to take the prince and go into hiding to protect him from being assassinated by his father the emperor, who thinks the prince has been possessed by a demon that will destroy the realm. Adult protagonist. Has a good soundtrack by Kenji Kawai. 24 episodes.

Fate/Zero. In an urban modern day city in Japan, seven mages summon seven heroes from ages past to fight to the death in a secret tournament for the Holy Grail, a magical artifact that is said to be able to grant any wish. Very atmospheric, heavy casualties. Adult protagonist. Plot is pretty good, it was written by Gen Urobuchi. Memorable soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura. English dub is fine. 24 episodes. Fate/Zero (along with SAO and AoT) is what made anime mainstream, and popularized the Fate franchise.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: follows two protagonists on opposites of a galactic war: a noble rising through the ranks of space Prussia and becoming a benevolent dictator, vs a historian who is forlornly fighting for a corrupt and decaying democracy. Grossly overrated but still good. It has great aesthetics and uses classical music. If there is a flaw, it's that the interesting battle tactics and campaign strategies are frontloaded, and there is way too much standing around and talking about basic philosophy. Adult protagonists. 110 episodes. The new remake series should be seen after

The Vision of Escaflowne: adventure anime set in a Final Fantasy-esque world about rebels fighting against the invading magitek empire, with knights and steampunk mechas and airships. Follows a trio of characters: a teenage prince, a teenage schoolgirl, and an adult knight captain and airship leader. Fantastic aesthetics and directing (Studio Sunrise!) and some exciting fight choreography, and music by Yoko Kanno. Only caveat is that early on, there is a bit too much tarrot card reading vs the war plot, though the latter half of the show is much more focused on the war. The show was supposed to be 36 episodes, but their budget was slashed at the last minute, so after episode 20 when the campaign is kicking up into high gear they had to rush through the final 16 episodes of story in just five more episodes. The first English dub was solid, dunno about the new one. 25 episodes. There is also a movie, which had a boring story but had fantastic visuals and should be watched after the show.

Twelve Kingdoms: a teenage schoolgirl gets isekaied to medieval fantasy China. Focused on geopolitical conflict between the Twelve Kingdoms, but it's mostly political maneuvering and spies rather than massive battles. Good aesthetics and good directing. Soundtrack is okay. Only caveat is that the show is overall slow, especially the first arc.

Gundam 080 War in the Pocket: during a great war between orbital revolutionaries and a corrupt Earth federation, a special forces team of revolutionaries infiltrates an ostensibly "neutral" space colony that is actually hosting a secret weapons project for the Federation. Their mission is to destroy the weapon. Very high production values by Studio Sunrise and likeable characters. Six episodes. A lot of other Gundam stuff is good (08th MS Team, the F91 movie, and Char's Counterattack but you need to have watched the first three shows to understand it).

Death Note: the young adult son of the chief of police stumbles upon a book. Whoever's name is written in the book dies. The son then starts using the book to kill evil people, but then quickly draws the ire of the authorities (including his father) who begin a manhunt for this new remote vigilante. Very high tension. There are deus ex machinas later on but the show was overall really engaging in spite of that. Good directing, good music by Hideki Taniuchi. English dub is okay. 36 episodes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and the End of Evangelion movie. Grossly overrated but has great aesthetics and directing.

Sword of the Stranger: awesome samurai action movie animated by Studio Bones. Also has a decent soundtrack.

Dragonar: the first official, unofficial Gundam AU, made by Studio Sunrise and the same people who made the prior Gundam shows and began airing the week after Gundam ZZ finished. It is Gundam (Earth Federation vs rebel space colonies), but with a unique color palette, battles fought by ballistic weaponry (machineguns and missiles) rather than boring pew pew laser spam that plagues almost every Gundam show except IBO, and a trio of three adult protagonists who actually want to be in the military and train and follow orders rather than some bratty teenager who constantly disobeys. The show does get kinda boring in the middle when they're fighting the mad max biker gang. The fan translations are Japanese voices only, no English dub.

5 Centimeters Per Second: a bittersweet movie about lost love by Makoto Shinkai. Young adult protagonist. His other movies are also enjoyable and recommended. The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Garden of Words have more of that melancholic feel (also young adult protagonists), while Your Name, Weathering with you, and Suzume are much more upbeat adventure movies with higher production values (teenage protagonists).

Berserk 1997: adapts the best part of the manga, the Golden Age arc. Great aesthetics and good directing, also a memorable soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa. English dub is okay. Don't watch any other other Berserk anime. The manga has great art but the story falls off after the Golden Age arc.

Clannad and Clannad After Story. Hard to describe it without delving into spoiler territory. Basically it's about a teenager who grows up into a young man and finds love, and then.. :( . Starts off as funny school slice of life hijinks but then becomes melancholic as theu get older and life doesn't turn out the way they wanted. Is one of the very few anime where the protagonist gets married during the show, not in the last 5 minutes of an epilogue. Memorable soundtrack.

Almost any Studio Ghibli film. Most of them are at least very good. There are a few ones with boring stories but they are carried by their high production values, even Tales from Earthsea.

Many movies and OVAs, such as Patlabor 1 & 2, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Venus Wars, Wings of Honneamise, Megazone 21 parts 1 and 2, etc.

Lastly, stuff that isn't very serious throughout like the above, but is good:

Kekkai Sensen: a teenager visits New York City, which now intersects other dimensions and is now populated by aliens and mutants. Crazy shenagains, fun comedy and cool action sequences. Is an adaptation of a manga by Yasuhiro Nightow, aka the author of Trigun. First season (12 episodes) is great, second season (12 episodes) is fine. English dub is fine.

The early Pokemon movies: fantastic aesthetics and high production values. Movie #3 in particular has a good story that is enjoyable even if you don't follow the TV show. Pokemon kept doing cel animated movies long after everyone switched to digital. IIRC Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea was the last anime movie that had filmed cels. The movies begin to gradually decline quality. If you only care about aesthetics/production values then you should stop after Destiny Deoxys. By the time of the Lucario movie, they don't look great anymore but the stories are still fun to watch. The Sinnoh trilogy was fun. After the first Black & White movie that they become mediocre. The recent "Power of Us" film was surprisingly good, but lacks the fantasy aesthetics of the early Pokemon films. The English dubs were solid, but supposedly the Japanese audio has better music.

The Big O: Bruce Wayne pilots a giant mecha. Also he has a cute android servant waifu. Was made by Studio Sunrise, so expect great aesthetics and directing. English dub is solid.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on March 26th, 2024, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
A Chinese opium den

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 26th, 2024, 06:08
The new remake series should be seen after
From an aesthetic standpoint alone it looks so much worse than the OG that I don't see the point in watching it, and the voice cast was changed too so it just seems like the remake is a purely worse version.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

A Chinese opium den wrote: March 26th, 2024, 06:43
The new remake series should be seen after
From an aesthetic standpoint alone it looks so much worse than the OG that I don't see the point in watching it, and the voice cast was changed too so it just seems like the remake is a purely worse version.
While the remake is a huge decline in aesthetics, it is less "stuffy" than the original. Less standing around and talking and about philosophy, and more focus on the character drama. Muller and Kempff got more focus and are more sympathetic in the remake than I remember from the original OVA series.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story.
Seirei no Moribito. It's about a female mercenary who is hired by the empress of medieval fantasy Japan to take the prince and go into hiding to protect him from being assassinated by his father the emperor, who thinks the prince has been possessed by a demon that will destroy the realm. Adult protagonist. Has a good soundtrack by Kenji Kawai. 24 episodes.

Fate/Zero. In an urban modern day city in Japan, seven mages summon seven heroes from ages past to fight to the death in a secret tournament for the Holy Grail, a magical artifact that is said to be able to grant any wish. Very atmospheric, heavy casualties. Adult protagonist. Plot is pretty good, it was written by Gen Urobuchi. Memorable soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura. English dub is fine. 24 episodes. Fate/Zero (along with SAO and AoT) is what made anime mainstream, and popularized the Fate franchise.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: follows two protagonists on opposites of a galactic war: a noble rising through the ranks of space Prussia and becoming a benevolent dictator, vs a historian who is forlornly fighting for a corrupt and decaying democracy. Grossly overrated but still good. It has great aesthetics and uses classical music. If there is a flaw, it's that the interesting battle tactics and campaign strategies are frontloaded, and there is way too much standing around and talking about basic philosophy. Adult protagonists. 110 episodes. The new remake series should be seen after

The Vision of Escaflowne: adventure anime set in a Final Fantasy-esque world about rebels fighting against the invading magitek empire, with knights and steampunk mechas and airships. Follows a trio of characters: a teenage prince, a teenage schoolgirl, and an adult knight captain and airship leader. Fantastic aesthetics and directing (Studio Sunrise!) and some exciting fight choreography, and music by Yoko Kanno. Only caveat is that early on, there is a bit too much tarrot card reading vs the war plot, though the latter half of the show is much more focused on the war. The show was supposed to be 36 episodes, but their budget was slashed at the last minute, so after episode 20 when the campaign is kicking up into high gear they had to rush through the final 16 episodes of story in just five more episodes. The first English dub was solid, dunno about the new one. 25 episodes. There is also a movie, which had a boring story but had fantastic visuals and should be watched after the show.

Twelve Kingdoms: a teenage schoolgirl gets isekaied to medieval fantasy China. Focused on geopolitical conflict between the Twelve Kingdoms, but it's mostly political maneuvering and spies rather than massive battles. Good aesthetics and good directing. Soundtrack is okay. Only caveat is that the show is overall slow, especially the first arc.

Gundam 080 War in the Pocket: during a great war between orbital revolutionaries and a corrupt Earth federation, a special forces team of revolutionaries infiltrates an ostensibly "neutral" space colony that is actually hosting a secret weapons project for the Federation. Their mission is to destroy the weapon. Very high production values by Studio Sunrise and likeable characters. Six episodes. A lot of other Gundam stuff is good (08th MS Team, the F91 movie, and Char's Counterattack but you need to have watched the first three shows to understand it).

Death Note: the young adult son of the chief of police stumbles upon a book. Whoever's name is written in the book dies. The son then starts using the book to kill evil people, but then quickly draws the ire of the authorities (including his father) who begin a manhunt for this new remote vigilante. Very high tension. There are deus ex machinas later on but the show was overall really engaging in spite of that. Good directing, good music by Hideki Taniuchi. English dub is okay. 36 episodes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and the End of Evangelion movie. Grossly overrated but has great aesthetics and directing.

Sword of the Stranger: awesome samurai action movie animated by Studio Bones. Also has a decent soundtrack.

Dragonar: the first official, unofficial Gundam AU, made by Studio Sunrise and the same people who made the prior Gundam shows and began airing the week after Gundam ZZ finished. It is Gundam (Earth Federation vs rebel space colonies), but with a unique color palette, battles fought by ballistic weaponry (machineguns and missiles) rather than boring pew pew laser spam that plagues almost every Gundam show except IBO, and a trio of three adult protagonists who actually want to be in the military and train and follow orders rather than some bratty teenager who constantly disobeys. The show does get kinda boring in the middle when they're fighting the mad max biker gang. The fan translations are Japanese voices only, no English dub.

5 Centimeters Per Second: a bittersweet movie about lost love by Makoto Shinkai. Young adult protagonist. His other movies are also enjoyable and recommended. The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Garden of Words have more of that melancholic feel (also young adult protagonists), while Your Name, Weathering with you, and Suzume are much more upbeat adventure movies with higher production values (teenage protagonists).

Berserk 1997: adapts the best part of the manga, the Golden Age arc. Great aesthetics and good directing, also a memorable soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa. English dub is okay. Don't watch any other other Berserk anime. The manga has great art but the story falls off after the Golden Age arc.

Clannad and Clannad After Story. Hard to describe it without delving into spoiler territory. Basically it's about a teenager who grows up into a young man and finds love, and then.. :( . Starts off as funny school slice of life hijinks but then becomes melancholic as theu get older and life doesn't turn out the way they wanted. Is one of the very few anime where the protagonist gets married during the show, not in the last 5 minutes of an epilogue. Memorable soundtrack.

Almost any Studio Ghibli film. Most of them are at least very good. There are a few ones with boring stories but they are carried by their high production values, even Tales from Earthsea.

Many movies and OVAs, such as Patlabor 1 & 2, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Venus Wars, Wings of Honneamise, Megazone 21 parts 1 and 2, etc.

Lastly, stuff that isn't very serious throughout like the above, but is good:

Kekkai Sensen: a teenager visits New York City, which now intersects other dimensions and is now populated by aliens and mutants. Crazy shenagains, fun comedy and cool action sequences. Is an adaptation of a manga by Yasuhiro Nightow, aka the author of Trigun. First season (12 episodes) is great, second season (12 episodes) is fine. English dub is fine.

The early Pokemon movies: fantastic aesthetics and high production values. Movie #3 in particular has a good story that is enjoyable even if you don't follow the TV show. Pokemon kept doing cel animated movies long after everyone switched to digital. IIRC Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea was the last anime movie that had filmed cels. The movies begin to gradually decline quality. If you only care about aesthetics/production values then you should stop after Destiny Deoxys. By the time of the Lucario movie, they don't look great anymore but the stories are still fun to watch. The Sinnoh trilogy was fun. After the first Black & White movie that they become mediocre. The recent "Power of Us" film was surprisingly good, but lacks the fantasy aesthetics of the early Pokemon films. The English dubs were solid, but supposedly the Japanese audio has better music.

The Big O: Bruce Wayne pilots a giant mecha. Also he has a cute android servant waifu. Was made by Studio Sunrise, so expect great aesthetics and directing. English dub is solid.
Wow, this was way more than I was expecting, thanks for putting so much effort in. I've seen a few of these, but most of them I haven't and a lot of them look really interesting. There are even a few that I've had recommended before but never checked out -- which now I'm thinking maybe I should. With the time I have to watch shows or movies, you've probably given me enough for the next 6 months. Thank you.
Last edited by OnTilt on March 26th, 2024, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Here's a few suggestions by me:

Frieren: Beyond the Journey's End - the anime asks an interesting question - what happens after the hero's party vanquishes the demon lord? Well, for the mortal hero, it means getting old and eventually dying. But what about the titular Frieren, the nearly immortal elf mage that will live on for thousands of years and outlive pretty much everyone she cares about? The story, at its core, is about loss and how people deal with it. The hero dies, and at his funeral Frieren cries without truly understanding why, which in turns motivates her to travel to the far north, where it is said the souls of the dead can be found, so she can ask him the reason.

I mention Frieren first because it really captivated me like no anime in a long, long time. It's a well paced story that seamlessly switches from mellow and emotional moments to punchy, explosive bits of action (all accompanied by a wonderful soundtrack), without losing the narrative's focus on exploring the way various people deal with the loss of loved ones.

0080: War in the Pocket - most Gundam shows have a "war is bad" message embedded in them, but I think that only War in the Pocket truly manages to convey the why in a mature, natural way - instead of relying on cheap brutality or preaching. The story follows two protagonists, a young boy living on a neutral colony that behaves like an actual kid (and kudos to the writer for managing to do that without making him annoying), and Bernie, a rookie Zeon pilot sent to the colony as part of a clandestine operation to destroy a Gundam they are building there. It's a short OVA that is wonderfully animated and tends to rise above most other Gundam shows/movies in terms of quality of writing.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Bridage - okay, picture this, what do you get when you combine Oshii and Project I.G? Turns out, Red Riding Hood in post-WW2 Japan in a reality where the good guys won. In this alternative 1960s Japan they know how to deal with communist subversives (namely, gunning them down with MG42s in a sewer), but our protagonist, when confronted with a teenaged girl recruited by the commies, freezes and can't bring himself to shoot her. The girl uses his moment of hesitation to trigger the bomb she's carrying, killing herself and nearly killing the protagonist. For his lapse in judgment he is sent back to training, and during his off-hours he meets the sister of the young girl, but not everything is as it seems.

The story features Oshii's usual plot about various Japanese ministries vying for power, interwoven with a gruesome retelling of the fable I mentioned before.
Last edited by gerey on March 26th, 2024, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Parasyte

This is one of the few where I REALLY couldn't wait for the next episode each time. Was a really pleasant suprise. The romance is mature, too. Highly recommend.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

WhiteShark wrote: March 26th, 2024, 01:54
And yet, Log Horizon and Overlord are both and both are good. Is that the secret to surpassing those genres' genkai?
Oh, genkai is the limit itself? I always thought it was the act of surpassing limits (limit break).