We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General anime/Japan/weebshit thread

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

WhiteShark wrote: March 26th, 2024, 00:35
Why was SAO in the 2% you don't avoid?
Morbid curiosity.
Last edited by KnightoftheWind on March 26th, 2024, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Kalarion wrote: March 26th, 2024, 17:38
Oh, genkai is the limit itself? I always thought it was the act of surpassing limits (limit break).
Maybe you've heard the phrase genkai toppa before, which does mean 'limit break'.
BobT

Post by BobT »

If you want something that is absolutely NOT mature, but feels like you've just overdosed on Speed, watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan.

Could barely catch my breath.
Last edited by BobT on March 26th, 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I like the first half of TTGL, but the second half didn't do it for me at all. I know that's a very unpopular opinion.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Not a huge fan (I actually kind of dislike most of it) of Berserk but playing Bannerlord gave me the urge to watch the Golden Arc films again and I also decided to give the Berserk warriors game a try. It's pure slop but playing as Griffith is pretty fun. Some truly awful boss fights though.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: March 27th, 2024, 19:29
Not a huge fan (I actually kind of dislike most of it) of Berserk but playing Bannerlord gave me the urge to watch the Golden Arc films again and I also decided to give the Berserk warriors game a try. It's pure slop but playing as Griffith is pretty fun. Some truly awful boss fights though.
The PS2 Berserk game has fun boss fights and truly awful missions with thousands of constantly respawning enemies. Has some cool tech, enemies get sliced up pretty good, and the arm cannon fucking blows half the screen away. You have to use a fan translation though and the UI is(was?) pretty glitchy when I played it in PCSX2.

Here's the opening fight.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 27th, 2024, 19:40
The PS2 Berserk game has fun boss fights and truly awful missions with thousands of constantly respawning enemies. Has some cool tech, enemies get sliced up pretty good, and the arm cannon fucking blows half the screen away. You have to use a fan translation though and the UI is(was?) pretty glitchy when I played it in PCSX2.

Here's the opening fight.
Looks very soulful (I truly believe graphics didn't need to expand much beyond that look) but I personally don't really care for much past the golden age arc or Guts himself really.
BobT

Post by BobT »

World Trigger is also another really surprising one. Starts off a tad shit / slow though.
The Manga is really good too, art is very well done. Unfortunately the mangaka is really ill from overwork so it's only coming out in drips and drabs, now. :(
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

BobT wrote: March 27th, 2024, 23:25
World Trigger is also another really surprising one. Starts off a tad shit / slow though.
Agreed, cool show. Just don't make the mistake I did and watch the filler season. My friend warned about it in advance but I didn't realize I had entered the filler until it was too late.
BobT

Post by BobT »

WhiteShark wrote: March 28th, 2024, 00:58
BobT wrote: March 27th, 2024, 23:25
Agreed, cool show. Just don't make the mistake I did and watch the filler season. My friend warned about it in advance but I didn't realize I had entered the filler until it was too late.
I was warned too, but my completionism (autism) compels me. I really wish I hadn't and it added nothing. I did like the bit in the tower with Miwa's squad though, that was cool.
There's SO many minute details and setups in all the manga panels (and the show), the writer does no asspulls. It is really good. Just wish he was in better health.

I really think that game would make a good MMO or similar too, it has all the mechanics and even the tournament function.

I also agree about Gurren Lagan dropping off a little when the stupid girl turned up. A shame.
Last edited by BobT on March 28th, 2024, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nothing beats the 90s anime, the movies feel pretty weak in comparison tbh
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Anon wrote: March 28th, 2024, 02:23
Nothing beats the 90s anime, the movies feel pretty weak in comparison tbh
I like the artstyle and over all aesthetic of the movies and it omits a lot of gross things that I don't like. I know the anime is considered a classic but it just doesn't really pull me in visually nor am I that interested in Berserk itself either of which I would really need with how infrequently I watch anime as it is.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

OnTilt wrote: March 26th, 2024, 04:31
This talk is making me want to watch an anime now. I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story. I may just rewatch Monster, I don't think I ever finished it the first time. Suggestions would be nice if anyone knows of a good one.
Instead of writing good descriptions I'm just going to just link their OPs since I typically watch anime based on whether they have a good one.

Ergo Proxy
Cyberpunk setting where humans live in advanced domed cities alongside advanced androids because earth blew up a long time ago

Serial Experiments Lain
Femcel anime about modernity and the internet

Cowboy Bebop
I assume you've already seen it but if not you probably should. Same goes for Akira so not going to post it

Samurai Champloo
A ronin, an outlaw, and a young girl set off across Edo-period Japan to find a mysterious samurai.

Grimgar of Fatnasy and Ash
Isekai where a group of young people arrive in a fantasy world with zero recollection of how they got there, so they have to work together and work as mercenaries to earn a living, mentioning because its a decent RPG anime with good combat

Made in Abyss
I dislike anime about children but this one makes up for it with its setting, a giant bottomless hole that treasure hunters delve into for magical artifacts.

Great Teacher Onizuka
Former Bōsōzoku gangster becomes a teacher and turns out to be a great one. Funny anime that deals with pretty serious themes, great show all around and one of my favorites.
Using a fan version of the OP because I like it.

Elfen lied
yeah

Perfect Blue
Movie about a Jpop Idol turned actress, a series of murders, and modern Japan

Gangsta
Euro gangsters and super soldier steroids in a fictional euro city. Only got 12 episodes sadly and I don't care for the OP that much, otherwise good.

Mononoke
A medicine seller and demon hunter travels around hunting evil spirits. Kinda avante-garde but great art direction.

Patlabor 2
Grounded Mecha thriller seemingly made for mil autists like me. Really good movie and has one of the most accurate depictions of an Air Intercept and EW ever

There are way more but tired of thinking of them for now
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 28th, 2024, 04:13
Samurai Champloo
A ronin, an outlaw, and a young girl set off across Edo-period Japan to find a mysterious samurai.
I remember I saw a random episode of this by chance late night while staying over at someone else's place as a kid and for years I had no clue what it was. It was a character focused episode too so a lot of the typical cast weren't really involved so I didn't recognize it whenever I would see scenes from the show or images later on.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Shame they didn't continue Grimgar, or did they?

Also if you've watched a good amount of Anime already and are aware of the tropes:
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Really fucking funny. Gag anime taking the piss out of most others.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Patlabor 2
Grounded Mecha thriller seemingly made for mil autists like me. Really good movie and has one of the most accurate depictions of an Air Intercept and EW ever
FLAG

If you really want to delve into mecha mil autism you should watch FLAG. The anime is fairly unique because it is shot in the format of a mockumentary. Everything you see is from the POV of a camera lens, usually one held by the protagonist, a Japanese female reporter.

The story is centered around her being embedded with an experimental UN peacekeeping unit that was deployed to a fictive Middle Eastern country as part of the peacekeeping effort. The anime leans into the realism very hard - mechs are shown to be incredibly finicky, complex vehicles that were built to fulfill a very specific purpose, instead of how they are usually depicted as dominating the battlefield.

If you're interested in the anime, be sure to watch the ending song until the very end during the last episode.

Gasaraki

Another "realistic" mech anime is Gasaraki, at least in the beginning. It does veer off into some pretty wild territory towards the end, and the way it's paced and structured is not for everyone, but it's a delight to see how much thought was put into the design of the mechs and how they are utilized.

08th MS Team

Gundam again, but this time from the perspective of Feddie grunts. About as realistic as a Gundam show can get. The mechs are animated to have some real weight to them, and since there's no overpowered prototypes buzzing around, fights actually tend to be very tense. The second half is somewhat ruined by focusing too much on the "Romeo and Juliet" romance between the Feddie protagonist and his Zeon waifu, but all in all it's one of the better-written Gundam shows.

Also features Norris Packard in all his Zeon glory. You'll be smashing the F button when you get to his scene, you'll know which one.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt

Very edgy Gundam anime that amps the brutality and carnage up to eleven. Features an actual Feddie pilot I like, along with a pretty snappy soundtrack. Takes place at the end of the OYW, following the Feddie cast as they battle against Zeon remnants. Second season is Earth-side and is about them fighting against a breakaway nation that is trying to escape Earth Federation control.

Word of warning is that the second season ends on a cliffhanger.

Planetes

Garbage men in space. It's one of my favorite animes of all time (the manga is also great and well worth a read since it's very different from the anime). Great cast, interesting plot and setting. It's an all-around pleasant watching experience, and for a time it was one of the most grounded and realistic takes on near-future humanity in space around.

RideBack

Former ballet dancer that suffered an injury that doesn't allow her to dance anymore finds renewed passion in racing transforming motorcycle mecha, the titular ridebacks. Nice visuals and music, but I can't really recommend it for the plot since it seems they compressed quite a lot from the source material, so you go from her racing in college to being an insurgent in what feels like the blink of an eye.

Still, it's not a particularly long anime, so if you're interested, give it a go.

Last edited by gerey on March 28th, 2024, 08:32, edited 4 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

gerey wrote: March 28th, 2024, 08:17
Patlabor 2
FLAG

If you really want to delve into mecha mil autism you should watch FLAG. The anime is fairly unique because it is shot in the format of a mockumentary. Everything you see is from the POV of a camera lens, usually one held by the protagonist, a Japanese female reporter.

The story is centered around her being embedded with an experimental UN peacekeeping unit that was deployed to a fictive Middle Eastern country as part of the peacekeeping effort. The anime leans into the realism very hard - mechs are shown to be incredibly finicky, complex vehicles that were built to fulfill a very specific purpose, instead of how they are usually depicted as dominating the battlefield.

If you're interested in the anime, be sure to watch the ending song until the very end during the last episode.

Gasaraki

Another "realistic" mech anime is Gasaraki, at least in the beginning. It does veer off into some pretty wild territory towards the end, and the way it's paced and structured is not for everyone, but it's a delight to see how much thought was put into the design of the mechs and how they are utilized.

08th MS Team

Gundam again, but this time from the perspective of Feddie grunts. About as realistic as a Gundam show can get. The mechs are animated to have some real weight to them, and since there's no overpowered prototypes buzzing around, fights actually tend to be very tense. The second half is somewhat ruined by focusing too much on the "Romeo and Juliet" romance between the Feddie protagonist and his Zeon waifu, but all in all it's one of the better-written Gundam shows.

Also features Norris Packard in all his Zeon glory. You'll be smashing the F button when you get to his scene, you'll know which one.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt

Very edgy Gundam anime that amps the brutality and carnage up to eleven. Features an actual Feddie pilot I like, along with a pretty snappy soundtrack. Takes place at the end of the OYW, following the Feddie cast as they battle against Zeon remnants. Second season is Earth-side and is about them fighting against a breakaway nation that is trying to escape Earth Federation control.

Word of warning is that the second season ends on a cliffhanger.

Planetes

Garbage men in space. It's one of my favorite animes of all time (the manga is also great and well worth a read since it's very different from the anime). Great cast, interesting plot and setting. It's an all-around pleasant watching experience, and for a time it was one of the most grounded and realistic takes on near-future humanity in space around.

RideBack

Former ballet dancer that suffered an injury that doesn't allow her to dance anymore finds renewed passion in racing transforming motorcycle mecha, the titular ridebacks. Nice visuals and music, but I can't really recommend it for the plot since it seems they compressed quite a lot from the source material, so you go from her racing in college to being an insurgent in what feels like the blink of an eye.

Still, it's not a particularly long anime, so if you're interested, give it a go.

Thanks, didn't know about most of these, going on my to-watch list now.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

This talk is making me want to watch an anime now. I'm looking for something serious that tells a mature story. I may just rewatch Monster, I don't think I ever finished it the first time. Suggestions would be nice if anyone knows of a good one.
Golden Kamuy if you can put up with the occasional bara gag

Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Remember finding this game very fun. Griffith is indeed great to play.

The gauntlet mode at the end of the game makes the boss fights more interesting.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:02
Golden Kamuy if you can put up with the occasional bara gag

There's also Gunka no Baltzar, which takes place a little bit earlier in the 19th century. Golden Kamuy is basically a Japanese Western, while Gunka no Baltzar is more focused on the military side of things and is not nearly as well written.

Mondain

Post by Mondain »

I used to stay up late so I'd catch the weird anime adult swim would run at 2am like detective Conan or blue lagoon. I remember them being ok.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

gerey wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 05:38
Gunka no Baltzar
Great to see another Gunka no Baltzar fan. I love the detailed art and the not-German Unification setting and aesthetic. Also loved the author doing those history lesson notes on soldier rations and equipment at the end of each volume. Sadly the group that was translating the manga stopped a few years back so we're probably many chapters behind the current Japanese release now.

Another great current manga is Otoyomegatari, which is a pseudo historical manga about romance and life in the steppes to the East of the Caspian Sea during the late 19th century. You get to see multiple different couples. Some are teenagers, some are in their 20s, a few in their early 30s. There is a subplot about a young English man getting involved with a local woman and the difficulties that would arise from that. There is some conflict, such as dwindling tribes competing over grazing land for their herds and the shadow of Russian expansion from the North. The manga author releases chapters once every other months. A new fan translation group took over the project a last year and is behind several chapters. IIRC an official English translation began last year but it is not caught up to the latest chapter yet either.

Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Guess what's back after a 5 year hiatus
► Show Spoiler
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

If you're going to recommend anime you probably shouldn't include their openings. A lot of the time these and the attached song aren't under creative direction of the director or writers of the show itself so it's really easy to get the wrong impression.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Cedric wrote: April 13th, 2024, 07:10
If you're going to recommend anime you probably shouldn't include their openings. A lot of the time these and the attached song aren't under creative direction of the director or writers of the show itself so it's really easy to get the wrong impression.
But they are often really cool, and that's sometimes all the hook someone needs to watch something.