We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Can you design better companions than a CRPG dev?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Emphyrio

Can you design better companions than a CRPG dev?

Post by Emphyrio »

Let's play a game.

The year is 2024, LINK is worth $1,000 each, and with my newfound wealth I have chosen YOU to be the idea guy for an RPG I'm kickstarting. But first, you'll have to prove to the saps on Kickstarter that you have what it takes to be a real idea guy.

Briefly describe the setting of the RPG you want to create, and outline the plot a bit if it matters. Then, create the companion NPCs, as many as you think are necessary (but at least 4). Describe not only their physical appearance, clothing and role in the party, but also their personality. You may include concept art. We have the funding for full VA, motion capture, companion quests, romances, and genital physics if you choose.

Effortposting is encouraged.
Last edited by Emphyrio on August 7th, 2023, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

I would use the companions to highlight system depth. For example, giving the player a character built around interacting with the environment and throwing objects if it's a Larian game.

Or a companion that combines sneak attack with ranged touch attack spells for 3e.

Or a companion that can only auto attack for Dragon Age.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I'd take whatever setting it is and adapt HK-47 to it, along with a couple of bro-tier companions like eder.

[edit]
I'd also do something groundbreaking, like make a male companion who isn't gay.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

This is the kind of thing I could write a book on, but doesn't seem worth the time unless I'm getting paid for it.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

One of the problems with modern RPGs is that companions are overdesigned. I don't want a party of snowflakes, like those fops from DA2, WotR and BG3. Give me a bunch of tropey normalfag adventurers.

Like a dwarf-fighter who is greedy and also likes to drink. Or an elven ranger who likes animals (but not in BG3 way). Or, i dunno, a some old guy in a robe and a wizard hat who casts spells and shiet.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

Okay, get this.

You're a guy, right? Somewhere along you meet another guy, okay? With me still? Now you both decide, "well gee, there's horny bears and gigantic centipedes every which way in this shitty world we'd probably be better off teaming up."

During all this you go on a whole novel worth of adventure. Kill hobgoblins, fuck up orcs, punt phylacteries into the ocean, slay dragons, score tons of gems and jewels and gold and swords with retardedly ornate hilts and maybe a few pieces of armor from some hero of legend, all that stuff.

After all this insane murder-looting you both decide, "fuck it, I'm tired, let's set up camp." Now comes the really innovative part...

You both maintain a friendship, perhaps even dare-I-say a brotherhood bond that sees you both able to maintain heterosexual distance and talk about banging hot elf girls. No gay shit, no homo-hijinks or trickery, not even so much of a suggestion of such. Just two guys, being friends, not written by repulsive dykes or quirktard shut-ins that have never interacted with another living soul for longer than ten minutes outside of their cat.

That's it. May take a lot of work, perhaps a suspension of disbelief, but I believe it can work.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Sure, pay me my hourly rate
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Game takes place in the world of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and the movie) thirty years after the end of the books. Charlie is in charge of Wonka inc which is currently embroiled in a brutal confectioners war with Slugworth Chocolates Inc. and things are not going well. Word is that Slugworth has invented a new kind of chocolate that can bring the dead back to life. You and a crack team of oompa loompas need to infiltrate and find out what the formula is. Along the way you find out this is all a ploy to raise an army of Slugworth zombies and take over the entire candy industry. Game is mostly linear and play in a series of acts/chapters leading to an exciting climax.

Oompa loompa number 1 was doing life in a supermax after he spiked a children's outdoor party with fizzy lifting drinks. Guy is hard as nails and actually hates candy of all kinds, but he knows fifty different ways to kill a man that all involve taking off the kneecaps. Charlie has offered him a clean slate in exchange for this op. Good with fists, explosives, stealth, smg, and sniper rifle. Seeing his parents drown in a vat of chocolate as a kid turned him sour and now he takes it out on the world, no romance.

Loompa 2 is the brains of the outfit. Can tell you every ingredient in a piece of candy just by taste alone. Only loompa alive who can make an everlasting gobstopper just using common household chemicals. Also a master of other forms of chemistry, makes explosives for the crazy loompa, can make up chocolate healing chews, strawberry flavored berserk meltaways, and good old fashioned root beer barrels laced with cyanide for the enemies. Handy with a pistol, knows a thing or two about picking locks. Romancable by female PC with high enough CHA and Chocoholic trait.

Loompa 3 was grown in a test tube, she was part of a program to make a better worker, it didn't quite work out, but she gained psionic powers. Mage of the team and just a bit cracked. Can alter the molecular structure of just about anything and turn it into candy, likes to turn bad guys into laffy taffy, jokes are always written in Russian, she doesn't speak a lick of slav. Romanacable.

Ok, pay me.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I am disappointed by the lack of effortposts so far (except for Tweed, maybe). The worst that can happen is you waste your time and get mocked for posting cringe. On the other hand, the best thing that can happen is... probably nothing.

Anyway, here's some shit I just made up today.

Setting: 2030. The lost continent of Lemuria has reemerged in the Pacific, drowning tens of millions in tidal waves. Strange storms followed, and bizarre mutations are appearing among the known world's survivors. While volcanic ash has veiled the stars and prevents the mapping of Lemuria by satellite, reconnaissance planes reported signs of an advanced civilization before they lost contact. A team lead by Captain #Charname has set out to explore the strange new (old?) continent. The game is a bit high-concept- it involves themes of what we believe, how we know what we know, and how we react to new information and circumstances, and each character is meant to explore some part of that. The characters are fully voiced, each with up to twelve lines of spoken dialog.

Characters:
► Xenophon Vanderhuge
► Butch Deadlift
► Dr. Argosy
► Doc Salvo
► Dobsegna
► Gristle Thornjaw
► Hunter Kilman
► Tex Sideiron
► Horace Michaels
► Ivana Graper
► Cass Vanderhuge
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Emphyrio wrote: August 8th, 2023, 06:44
I am disappointed by the lack of effortposts so far
Okay, I'll do one I made for a campaign I never got to run years ago. He was meant to accompany the PCs. Even took a moment to generate a portrait for him.

Setting: Another galaxy. Takes place in a sector far from the core worlds of a large interstellar empire.
► Gudwal Baines
Was meant for a Traveller game, not using the official Traveller setting. The players were diplomatic envoys.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: August 8th, 2023, 10:55
Emphyrio wrote: August 8th, 2023, 06:44
I am disappointed by the lack of effortposts so far
Okay, I'll do one I made for a campaign I never got to run years ago. He was meant to accompany the PCs. Even took a moment to generate a portrait for him.

Setting: Another galaxy. Takes place in a sector far from the core worlds of a large interstellar empire.
► Gudwal Baines
Was meant for a Traveller game, not using the official Traveller setting. The players were diplomatic envoys.
That's a great concept and motivation.

reminds me of this

Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Since my cyclopean mind is vast and utterly incomprehensible to lesser men I am hesitant to share its contents, should I one day decide to unleash my homebrew setting upon the world and get rich and famous in the process.

I'll let you have the following for free though, because I am feeling very generous.

Setting: Any non-descript european medieval sort of fantasy
► Jeb Jackson
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

GhostCow wrote: August 7th, 2023, 23:02
This is the kind of thing I could write a book on, but doesn't seem worth the time unless I'm getting paid for it.
Do us both a favor and share the highlights / cliff notes?
I'd love your opinions without reading a full novel on it.

My preference: Less is More, I hate snowflake companions.. but I'm starting to think that I am the minority... and that's what objectively sells better.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Shillitron wrote: August 8th, 2023, 17:08
GhostCow wrote: August 7th, 2023, 23:02
Do us both a favor and share the highlights / cliff notes?
I'd love your opinions without reading a full novel on it.

My preference: Less is More, I hate snowflake companions.. but I'm starting to think that I am the minority... and that's what objectively sells better.
Eh, I guess I will since you cared enough to ask. I'll just write this out assuming I'm writing what I would have offered as the companions for BG3 since I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I'm not big on special snowflake characters either, but I think every good fantasy RPG should have one or two for the people who like them. They can also be interesting if well done. We'll assume there's a limit of 10 since that's what we ended up with in the game.
► Sora Rhogar, Dragonborn Paladin
► Ragnar, Half-Orc Warrior
► Karorn Videl, Human Barbarian
Yeah, I spent 90 minutes on this. That's enough for now. It would take forever to do 10. I take this too seriously and spend a bunch of time doing research and stuff. Cute wholesome girls and manly men. That's what I like.

If I spent more time on it, I'd have probably written a gnome wizard who would be kind of like Nenio from wotr, but a serious take on it instead of lolrandom retard shit. A wizard traveling to work on an encyclopedia is a good idea wasted on terrible writing. Of course she would be looking forward to finishing it so she can go home and settle down to make gnome babies. I'd like to explore the idea of a Drow sorceress too just because blue skinned chicks are hot. It wouldn't be hard to find a way for her class to be the reason she left the underdark. She could be the tsundere.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

GhostCow wrote: August 8th, 2023, 18:35
Yeah, I spent 90 minutes on this.
You spent 90 actual minutes for 3 stereotypes?

-Humbaba
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I will be doing a good effortpost but it will take some time.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

General Reign wrote: August 8th, 2023, 23:08
I cannot wait to shit on it and hopefully crush your self-esteem a little bit more.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: August 10th, 2023, 00:14
General Reign wrote: August 8th, 2023, 23:08
I cannot wait to shit on it and hopefully crush your self-esteem a little bit more.
You have never crushed my self esteem since you are a worthless attention whore. I compare you to retards like SDG that cannot interact with normal people. Your opinion matters as little as your dick does.

:lol:
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

In high school I designed a shitty derivative kitchen sink setting that involved multiple worlds/universes and some insane God that was trying to merge them into one and only the chosen few could stop it. One world was a post apocalyptic Earth called Scorched Earth, one was a planet totally controlled by vampires and the like, one was a fantasy world overrun by demons - you know the stuff I was reading and playing at the time....the story involved rifts before I even knew what Rifts was so it is even more worthless as far as settings go. The main character was a Nephilim with a symbiotic coat that contained a pocket universe inside it where he could pull out weapons or dildos or whatever.

The key to having companions that fit into the game properly is having something personal related to them relating to your main quest along with obligatory backstory ridden quests where you delve into who they fucked over before they came into the party. They can't be like Vincent in FF7 and just be there looking cool for no reason unless you want them feeling like a side character. One thing not to do is have you collect things to make them like you. That is artificial and gamey. I argue seeing some number counter go up until you get another social perk while puffing some robots ego is just plain wrong since talking does not work like that...if only because you should not see the hidden code of the universe just like in New Vegas where you know to boost this stat to beat this check....

Often times I feel like the companions don't really belong on the main quest anyway like in Pathfinder. I felt like some of those guys would likely just rather fuck off as opposed to standing around in your court all day. I think having the companion have some ties to your past is ideal but you don't want annoying bitches like Imoen constantly bothering you either so a balance must be struck. Perhaps having the female be your sister instead of love interest just makes her more of an annoying cunt so a love interest in the party is better than a female sibling that is for certain.

Having a bad guy/anti hero in the party is something that can elevate the group out of boredom land. I think back to FF9 which had an entire party of fags and one cool guy named Amarant. Thinking back to Planescape I feel like a couple of those companions were kinda pointless as well but the game somehow overcame that with other cool things - I did not play Planescape for deep companions. I did not feel like I had any real control over my party which is another thing to bring up about Divinity: Original Sin - the companions kinda sucked story wise but the character building was fun since each character was actually useful.

Any characters I could list would be overly generic with eye patches and bad names but I do feel like even games like Fallout 4 have made some strides to making more realistic companions but they still suck.

Does a game need a boring thief class when it can just be a rogue and also do more fun stuff as well? I vote for redundant classes in certain games being removed because they are boring and only do one or two things. Dnd is the cause of this mainly but what do I know I never played pnp with a real group?

I think Earthbound (yes I know) had a good companion breakdown. Every single person seemed to have a reason to be there. Maybe in an effort to make more and more companions (1 for each class in some games) they are stretching their shitty writing muscles a bit thin. This is why games like Wasteland 3 are sometimes better where you just make your own fucking companion and say to hell with the rest unless you like them enough. Problem is often times they will stick out like a sore thumb just begging you to recruit them like those extra companions in BG2.

Speaking of which better to have fewer characters than a bunch of shitty ones. Pillars of Eternity 2 seemed to want more and more companions but most of them had jack shit to say besides "please fuck me" so I really think most of the budget went to that ship game that is really boring. Thinking back games like Fallout actually did not have great companions due to them just being there after you recruit them but if the game was released today you could fuck each one of them and each one would have a quest where you find something they like and put up their butt.

I have maps and pics for my shit setting but I need to dig them out of storage. Will do that tomorrow I guess.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

General Reign wrote: August 10th, 2023, 05:04
In high school I designed a shitty derivative kitchen sink setting that involved multiple worlds/universes and some insane God that was trying to merge them into one and only the chosen few could stop it. One world was a post apocalyptic Earth called Scorched Earth, one was a planet totally controlled by vampires and the like, one was a fantasy world overrun by demons - you know the stuff I was reading and playing at the time....the story involved rifts before I even knew what Rifts was so it is even more worthless as far as settings go. The main character was a Nephilim with a symbiotic coat that contained a pocket universe inside it where he could pull out weapons or dildos or whatever.

The key to having companions that fit into the game properly is having something personal related to them relating to your main quest along with obligatory backstory ridden quests where you delve into who they fucked over before they came into the party. They can't be like Vincent in FF7 and just be there looking cool for no reason unless you want them feeling like a side character. One thing not to do is have you collect things to make them like you. That is artificial and gamey. I argue seeing some number counter go up until you get another social perk while puffing some robots ego is just plain wrong since talking does not work like that...if only because you should not see the hidden code of the universe just like in New Vegas where you know to boost this stat to beat this check....

Often times I feel like the companions don't really belong on the main quest anyway like in Pathfinder. I felt like some of those guys would likely just rather fuck off as opposed to standing around in your court all day. I think having the companion have some ties to your past is ideal but you don't want annoying bitches like Imoen constantly bothering you either so a balance must be struck. Perhaps having the female be your sister instead of love interest just makes her more of an annoying cunt so a love interest in the party is better than a female sibling that is for certain.

Having a bad guy/anti hero in the party is something that can elevate the group out of boredom land. I think back to FF9 which had an entire party of fags and one cool guy named Amarant. Thinking back to Planescape I feel like a couple of those companions were kinda pointless as well but the game somehow overcame that with other cool things - I did not play Planescape for deep companions. I did not feel like I had any real control over my party which is another thing to bring up about Divinity: Original Sin - the companions kinda sucked story wise but the character building was fun since each character was actually useful.

Any characters I could list would be overly generic with eye patches and bad names but I do feel like even games like Fallout 4 have made some strides to making more realistic companions but they still suck.

Does a game need a boring thief class when it can just be a rogue and also do more fun stuff as well? I vote for redundant classes in certain games being removed because they are boring and only do one or two things. Dnd is the cause of this mainly but what do I know I never played pnp with a real group?

I think Earthbound (yes I know) had a good companion breakdown. Every single person seemed to have a reason to be there. Maybe in an effort to make more and more companions (1 for each class in some games) they are stretching their shitty writing muscles a bit thin. This is why games like Wasteland 3 are sometimes better where you just make your own fucking companion and say to hell with the rest unless you like them enough. Problem is often times they will stick out like a sore thumb just begging you to recruit them like those extra companions in BG2.

Speaking of which better to have fewer characters than a bunch of shitty ones. Pillars of Eternity 2 seemed to want more and more companions but most of them had jack shit to say besides "please fuck me" so I really think most of the budget went to that ship game that is really boring. Thinking back games like Fallout actually did not have great companions due to them just being there after you recruit them but if the game was released today you could fuck each one of them and each one would have a quest where you find something they like and put up their butt.

I have maps and pics for my shit setting but I need to dig them out of storage. Will do that tomorrow I guess.
You typed all this up just for me to tell you it sounds like shit.

Hopefully your pictures don't carry your trademark minotaur penis fixation.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It was too hot out in the trailer I could not find the old companion art but I did find this one of Caleb Reyne the main character after I got rid of his Vampire D fetish.
► Show Spoiler
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: August 8th, 2023, 01:20
You both maintain a friendship, perhaps even dare-I-say a brotherhood bond that sees you both able to maintain heterosexual distance and talk about banging hot elf girls. No gay shit, no homo-hijinks or trickery, not even so much of a suggestion of such. Just two guys, being friends, not written by repulsive dykes or quirktard shut-ins that have never interacted with another living soul for longer than ten minutes outside of their cat.
You're kidding, right? These are game developers. Practically none of them have ever experienced anything like that.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

General Reign wrote: August 10th, 2023, 22:19
It was too hot out in the trailer I could not find the old companion art but I did find this one of Caleb Reyne the main character after I got rid of his Vampire D fetish.
► Show Spoiler
You always find a way to outdo yourself. So there's that.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Emphyrio wrote: August 7th, 2023, 18:39
Let's play a game.

The year is 2024, LINK is worth $1,000 each, and with my newfound wealth I have chosen YOU to be the idea guy for an RPG I'm kickstarting. But first, you'll have to prove to the saps on Kickstarter that you have what it takes to be a real idea guy.

Briefly describe the setting of the RPG you want to create, and outline the plot a bit if it matters. Then, create the companion NPCs, as many as you think are necessary (but at least 4). Describe not only their physical appearance, clothing and role in the party, but also their personality. You may include concept art. We have the funding for full VA, motion capture, companion quests, romances, and genital physics if you choose.

Effortposting is encouraged.
well, i guess u wont be making any games since buying a shitcoin does not end well unless u are insider (btw most large caps shitcoins were made by big banks to make idiots sell their bitcoin for them), in which case u will likely get killed by sec. cant wait till they get that fat faggot richard heart, i mean they will take his bitcoin and dump it on market to suppress price after his shotgun in back suicide or whatever, but still worth it.
► Show Spoiler
thats one of the ugliest pump&dump dying shitcoins chart i ever seen

realistically, year is 2025/26 and 0.1 Bitcoin can buy 50 meter yacht, which u shouldnt buy cause pole shift will occur couple years later. so u do something smart and invest in robo waifus industry cause genetical and cultural degradation made most of meat bags unusable. but hey good rpg that everyone will pirate is cool too i guess ("ppl" gullible enough to pay for free to copy information will be dead by then btw from general poverty, ai technological unemployment, vaccine effects and cooling climate etc)

since i am working on (vagina) companion for skyrim for over year i got couple thoughts;

-the idea for non local ai companions is retarded and gay. reasons for it;
a) if its non local u dont own it and cant control it. woke chat gpt ai waifus bad
b) too much delay at least with advanced voice module
c)poor and instable results overall even with custom voice module
-AI is great foor prerendered, hand quality controlled responses that remove voice actor inhibitor
-immersion does not requires infinte responses or great much complexity or ability to convey discussions npc shouldnt be able to do in first place.

if u make vagina follower u want it to give vagina impression; self centered, insecure, obsessed about being desirable to fuck, emotionally unstable and easy to influence. and requiring lots of violence and degradation and loving it ofc. but u dont need too many fancy discussions. when u ask vagina about philosophical implications of quantum erasion experiments and reverse causality she shouldnt do anything except open her cockhole and stare at you. and that is easy to program.

i making follower with thematic response clusters based on mood, an other variables and it gives very good impression with under 2000 lines (altho i will try to get 8 to 9000 lines to beat that furry khajiit follower).
once u get rid of voice acting issue u can add old school game amount of input and hand craft all the response variation giving the results u exactly want.
the most issues for me is intgration of animations into system.

-companions must be animated in way they response to enviroment and player actions, or at least constantly create illusion they respond to those stiumlus
-companions should be able to be custom crafted; player should have ability to inhibit or encourage their traits (acting, talking, combat). it removes out of palce behaviour and removes potential annoyance
-companions should cater to hetero male player for obvious reasons
-female companions should have large amounts of strip animations. like wtf, community made thousands of animations for jewrim and nobody integrated them extensively into any follower
-companion should be able to do at least 1 impressive feat. like the bitch im modding has thing for mammoth tusks.

here is some concept art (i will keep it softcore here)
NSFW
► Show Spoiler
in game (tats will be removable with acid spell and possible to add in layers via dialouge activated spell as well)
NSFW
► Show Spoiler
for this one i put focus on dirty/sleazzy talk (vagina cant say anything smart but at least she can say something amusing/dirty) and appriopriate acting. altho it can be all turned off when its get boring or when u go to place where u want bitch to act classy. i captured some video footage but its on max dirty talk setting it would be flagged as porn here likely.

i will skip other 3 followers idea since i dont think ima finish this bitch this year. i wish i could be like bethseda; lets give serana like 50 lines of dialouge, and always same 1 response when asked same shit, thats good enough.

i still got like 400 ai packages to make and about 5000 responses to add with like 20 variable conditions for each of them. no to mention entire body paint, makeup, tatto and body fluids system to make. and then there is body damage/guro stuff to add as well.

also skyrim hates complex dialouges, it can even crash from it. i think they designed it for like 5 responses tops.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Acrux wrote: August 11th, 2023, 14:24
Hey, cool, we get schizoposting at RPGHQ, too!
Schizo AND coombrain skyrim modder! I had no idea those things crossed over.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

maidenhaver wrote: August 11th, 2023, 19:36
Acrux wrote: August 11th, 2023, 14:24
Hey, cool, we get schizoposting at RPGHQ, too!
Schizo AND coombrain skyrim modder! I had no idea those things crossed over.
hey, some ppl just prefer pushups over apple pie, u ashkenzi orgy goat cum leaking low iq goyslop.

btw fat accumulates estrogen and makes u think like a bitch/jizzbrain.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Red7 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 11:26
u ashkenzi orgy goat cum leaking low iq goyslop.
Oh fucking hell SHUT UP!

-Humbaba
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I am fascinated and would like to hear more of your ideas @Red7, the mammoth tusk thing in particular is brilliant, can you provide some example responses?
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Gunnar wrote: August 12th, 2023, 12:11
I am fascinated and would like to hear more of your ideas @Red7, the mammoth tusk thing in particular is brilliant, can you provide some example responses?
ofc
(quasi nsfw audio links) i mean mammoth bit is just about couple modified animations. i got too much other shit to do so i skipped learning blender for fully custom made, but it still decent for me. point is other followers cant do with tusk what my bitch can. and that makes daddy proud.
i wont post animations pics here cause its too nsfw. and the last part is guro nsfw. ofc i will add blood particle effects and skin texture layer to that one.