General Immersive Sim Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Felt like forever since there has been anything worthwhile to post in regards to immersive sim developments. Lots of devs post tweets detailing updates on their projects, but I don't feel it would be particularly worthwhile to spam the thread with those. I do however want to give a shoutout to RSD and his collection of mods for SS2 - they really help breathe in new life into the game and address a few balancing issues that discouraged people from trying different playstyles.

He's just released a new version of his mod, so it's as good a time as any to give it a whirl.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Last version was excellent, really put new life into Shock2.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Corups Edax just got a demo released over on itch.io for anyone that wants to give it a whirl.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Oh, and a new immersive sim to keep an eye one. The magic system certainly looks neat.

krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

some r*dditor made this, they're trying to invade ImSims, lads.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

krokodil wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 05:39
astronaut holding a gun.jpg
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Bloodlines is not an immersive sim, chart discarded.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

You know that it was made by a redditor because 1) he thinks there aren't easy games of that kind, 2) thinks Bioshock belongs with the others in any significant way, and 3) uses the term "racism" unironically.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

>durr what should I play first: thief 1 or thief 2?
:headbang:
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

"Immersive Sim" is the worst name for a genre I've heard, right next to "shmup".
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

all I can understand from this is that "immersive sim" means game you can probably(but not always) shoot someone with a gun
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

although dark messiah does have bows, so being able to shoot someone with a projectile does indeed seem like the defining feature of an immersive sim
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

seems to be heavily inspired by system shock, just went into early access today
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

gerey wrote: March 7th, 2023, 21:13

Felt like forever since there has been anything worthwhile to post in regards to immersive sim developments. Lots of devs post tweets detailing updates on their projects, but I don't feel it would be particularly worthwhile to spam the thread with those. I do however want to give a shoutout to RSD and his collection of mods for SS2 - they really help breathe in new life into the game and address a few balancing issues that discouraged people from trying different playstyles.

He's just released a new version of his mod, so it's as good a time as any to give it a whirl.
Wasn't sold on the initial version but this one looks great with the major extensions to modify and the minor touches like being able to put items back into boxes show a dedication to polish.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

krokodil wrote: April 6th, 2023, 23:27

seems to be heavily inspired by system shock, just went into early access today
"An ancient evil has awoken"

Dropped.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

If, for some reason you chucklefucks haven't tried the GMDX Mod then you need to. It's p.gud.
SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

Nice thread, a good resource for some of the new stuff coming out.

As for the name "immersive sim", I've noticed that people get really hung up on the name for the genre simply because they think it sounds pretentious, and I don't even mean to imply that the people in this thread who said they don't get the name think that, but you see that shit everywhere it gets brought up.

I don't really think the name itself matters at all, but the fact that you can tell by playing something like SS2, Deus Ex, VTMB or Fallout New Vegas where the idea behind something crosses over from Immersive Sim/FPRPG to a straight up FPRPG should tell you that it's its own thing. I wonder if people would be more satisfied if they were called UU-likes or UU-clones. It's a bit like being annoyed that first-person shooters took on that moniker instead of still being called Doom clones.

Defining the genre itself is definitely a tough one, but I think a lot of it comes down to systems interacting with one another in a way that has potential to create almost limitless (in the sense that every player's solution can be ever so slightly different) ways of overcoming any given obstacle. You're dropped in a Thief level and told to go steal the macguffin, and while there may be a limited number of set paths created by the level designer for players to use, it is not uncommon for there to be alternate ways to achieve the same goal that the level designer never even thought about, simply by utilizing the systems that the game offers to you.

TL;DR being able to stack crates and climb them is what makes an immersive sim. Also BioShock isn't one.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Retarded name. "Immersive sim" herp derp. Go touch grass and feel a real immersive sim. These fuckin nerds I just can't with them anymore.

To stay on topic I liked Prey alot I guess.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

SDG wrote: May 27th, 2023, 09:19
Retarded name. "Immersive sim" herp derp. Go touch grass and feel a real immersive sim. These fuckin nerds I just can't with them anymore.

To stay on topic I liked Prey alot I guess.
I feel immersed when I touch a bottle of JD and pour one in. *shrug*
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

SharkClub wrote: May 27th, 2023, 06:16
TL;DR being able to stack crates and climb them is what makes an immersive sim.
SDG

Post by SDG »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:42
SharkClub wrote: May 27th, 2023, 06:16
TL;DR being able to stack crates and climb them is what makes an immersive sim.
See that makes me want to play that game. BG3 looks sick af.
SDG

Post by SDG »

If I'm being completely honest Zelda TotK feels more immersive and sim like than these so called immersive herp derp sim likes. It has the gay physics bullshit but also accounts for elemental effects like fire, wind, and electricity. It's not even an immersive herp derp sim. How is it out immersing herpy derpy siming actual immersive herp derp sims? How tf is this possible?
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

where the hell is the system shock 2 remaster from nightdive anyways? it was meant to be free w/ SS remake.

inb4 "just mod the old one."

No.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

This recent release is tagged immersive sim so I thought you guys might be interested.

gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Let's take a look at Steam's top picks for games tagged as immersive sims:

Also, should really update the list.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

a couple of interviews with Ken Levine's studio regarding their upcoming game where you play as a white liberal woman with a zoophile tattoo.

dorito pope video has some new gameplay
Last edited by wndrbr on March 27th, 2024, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.
Protean

Post by Protean »

Is Silent Storm an immersive sim?