We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dominions 6

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
DemoGraph

Post by DemoGraph »

Irenaeus wrote: April 11th, 2024, 15:36
Don't believe his lies!
Come on, everyone knows that you also kate hittens. Or something.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

damn it my move orders got messed up

now I'm fugged
Last edited by Emphyrio on April 12th, 2024, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

decline any idea why my malika failed to move off ligrea to belmar? did she get bumped by a carrion commander moving back from belmar to ligrea or something?
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: April 12th, 2024, 13:15
decline any idea why my malika failed to move off ligrea to belmar? did she get bumped by a carrion commander moving back from belmar to ligrea or something?
She flies off with 1 HP and being diseased, meaning she dies next month. IIRC the affliction phase is after the combat phase, meaning she dies after the battle.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 22:45
She flies off with 1 HP and being diseased, meaning she dies next month. IIRC the affliction phase is after the combat phase, meaning she dies after the battle.
No, I mean she shouldn't have been there to fight the battle in the first place. I gave everyone orders to move off the fort but for some reason her and the other mage I told to move to Belmar were still there. If you didn't bump her by moving something back, I guess I just lost a malika and a bunch of sacreds to a misclick...
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:07
Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 22:45
No, I mean she shouldn't have been there to fight the battle in the first place. I gave everyone orders to move off the fort but for some reason her and the other mage I told to move to Belmar were still there. If you didn't bump her by moving something back, I guess I just lost a malika and a bunch of sacreds to a misclick...
Then it is an issue of defenders advantage. The defender moves first so the battle resolves before your units move out.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Also for those that still fall for Emphyrios agitprop:

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:10
Then it is an issue of defenders advantage. The defender moves first so the battle resolves before your units move out.
Movement happens before battles. You can't catch a moving army unless they both move to the same province. Besieged forts count as friendly for the besieger.

If you were moving a guy from the province she was moving into you could have bumped her to prevent movement, but it's pretty unlikely because higher chassis value commanders get better odds of being the bumper instead of the bumper. (they did thay because people used to abuse bumping with scouts)
Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:11

Most of that is black hawks and mounted units being double-counted.
Last edited by Emphyrio on April 12th, 2024, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:14
Movement happens before battles.
That is not quite true depending on the circumstances.

I pulled up my spreadsheet. Break Siege is resolved after Friendly Movement. Did you move your army into a province you control?
Last edited by Decline on April 12th, 2024, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:11

He's a good rabble rouser, no one can deny! :golf clap:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:22

I pulled up my spreadsheet. Break Siege is resolved after Friendly Movement. Did you move your army into a province you control?
Break Siege happens at the same time as non-friendly movement, because the province counts as non-friendly for the besieged. You can't catch a besieging army by breaking siege the same turn it moves off the fort.

I misclicked and canceled the move order when I hit end-turn. That's the most likely explanation.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:27
Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:22

Break Siege happens at the same time as non-friendly movement, because the province counts as non-friendly for the besieged. You can't catch a besieging army by breaking siege the same turn it moves off the fort.
I remember there being some weird mechanic of the smaller army having a chance of remaining in the province when two hostile armies move in opposite directions.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:35
I remember there being some weird mechanic of the smaller army having a chance of remaining in the province when two hostile armies move in opposite directions.
That sounds like what I called "bumping". If my army is in Ancrynca and your army is in Muspel, and we both try to move our armies into each other's provinces at the same time, there's a chance we slip past each other, or else only one army will move. The exact calculation is too complex for me to analyze at a glance but there's a random number between 1-349 involved which seems pretty big.

ok looking at it a little closer it's all based on hp, with %bonuses to the hp value for good stats, prot and tags. Then it's hpvalue/10 + 1d(hpvalue), whoever is lowest gets bumped (doesn't move)
Last edited by Emphyrio on April 12th, 2024, 23:50, edited 3 times in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: April 12th, 2024, 23:27
I misclicked and canceled the move order when I hit end-turn. That's the most likely explanation.
Or you ordered your Malikah and dismissed the pop-up that she can't go that far because of attached troops.
Decline

Post by Decline »

I need to have a word with @Kalarion and @Nemesis here.

Dominions is a game of snowballing.

Once you’ve taken somebody’s land, you immediately have access to their income, their forts, and therefore can directly scale up your ability to research and the number of troops you can field.

That research and army advantage can then be used against another player to even more easily win the next war, and so on.

The way research works in Dominions, one nation the same size as two smaller nations put together is not at a disadvantage fighting them at the same time, because the larger nation has more research than either of the smaller.

What that means is that if you do not aggressively go for the biggest player, always, you are fucking up the game.
Last edited by Decline on April 13th, 2024, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Player will learn from this game to the next... hopefully ;)
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: April 13th, 2024, 01:02
I need to have a word with @Kalarion and @Nemesis here.

Dominions is a game of snowballing.

Once you’ve taken somebody’s land, you immediately have access to their income, their forts, and therefore can directly scale up your ability to research and the number of troops you can field.

That research and army advantage can then be used against another player to even more easily win the next war, and so on.

The way research works in Dominions, one nation the same size as two smaller nations put together is not at a disadvantage fighting them at the same time, because the larger nation has more research than either of the smaller.

What that means is that if you do not aggressively go for the biggest player, always, you are fucking up the game.

this advice is from the two guys who can't win a 2v1 and need to call in more help btw
Last edited by Emphyrio on April 13th, 2024, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

@Emphyrio you won the last (and only) 2 games. We are well aware of how you play this good - at least compared to us n00bs :geek:
The question is, are we learning?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 13th, 2024, 10:44
@Emphyrio you won the last (and only) 2 games. We are well aware of how you play this good - at least compared to us n00bs :geek:
The question is, are we learning?
Maybe. Your doomstack appears unbeatable at the moment. It's your game to lose.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

can't wait to get home in 12 hours and see if that dip in the pink is what i think it is
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: April 13th, 2024, 19:17
can't wait to get home in 12 hours and see if that dip in the pink is what i think it is
Mostly this:

Last edited by Irenaeus on April 13th, 2024, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Meanwhile, on another part of the map:

And some suggested I should have suicided my dragon god on a random throne for no reason!
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

You guys think it's east? I'm defending a 3vs1

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

@Kalarion most bless effects dont work unless you have a priest cast blessing on the sacreds or your tendie is in the battle
Last edited by Emphyrio on April 14th, 2024, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

One less problem.

Retreat was cut off, so they're all dead.

Now to deal with the other two teaming up on me. Emphyrio turned up with the sneak attack from a cave into my rearguard, so I'll have to delay conquering Vanheim for now.
Last edited by Irenaeus on April 14th, 2024, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

On a more serious note, I spent far too many resources fighting off Vanheim and Jotunheim, resources that should have been used to try and stop you from conquering Asphodel. I have no idea if I can defend against your incursions and that's even before you are done conquering Asphodel and skyrocketing in the game's leadership.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: April 14th, 2024, 13:11
On a more serious note, I spent far too many resources fighting off Vanheim and Jotunheim, resources that should have been used to try and stop you from conquering Asphodel. I have no idea if I can defend against your incursions and that's even before you are done conquering Asphodel and skyrocketing in the game's leadership.
Asphodel is solid, unconquerable. The window to rush has passed. The entire Asphodel pennisula will soon be forted forests. And now he's invading me with like 300 centaurs despite my attempts to starve his income. Those fortune scales must be paying off.

Losing the Ship Wreckers is a disaster. What was your bid?