We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Dominions 6

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 22:15
Irenaeus wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 21:52
Not looking good on my Mekone front, guys. His God is hard to kill and does massive damage with close-range thunderstrikes. He has 230 dudes coming in to help, half of them magic-armored giants. My celts are history this turn, including MARRADECAO the god and MAMALUIGI the prophet. Julius Caesar, help me :shock:

I think Emphyrio takes home the cup again, then. All hail the king, baby! :king:
Yeah I saw that battle. It was a slaughter. :groan:
Artistic depiction:

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

gg nerds :ugeek:

score graphs:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Emphyrio on March 23rd, 2024, 01:59, edited 3 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Battle at the Golden Throne

Who will win? Shiny armored giant phalanxes or riled up bare-chested gauls? Druids or Gerontes?

Mere humans won't cut it, the Bronze Colossus needed concentrated firepower.

and here it goes!

Iren saves the day again! :king:
Decline

Post by Decline »

I take back about what I said earlier about Giant Marble Dongman mobbing the floor with Druidchad . Well done.

Also, Mekone is going for the Throne on Silver Fangs, so we're not in safe waters yet. @Nemesis can you attack there next turn?

@Kalarion we really need you to put pressure on Mekone's western flank, he will go for the two unoccupied thrones there as well, spreading us too thin to prevent his victory. Now is your chance to become part of history.

He got a Fort on Exibotia already, fuck.
Last edited by Decline on March 23rd, 2024, 03:18, edited 2 times in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 02:56
I take back about what I said earlier about Giant Marble Dongman mobbing the floor with Druidchad . Well done.
It might have been different if it wasn't -6 dom penalty for me, and +6 bonus for him, and all the mage support he had. It was super risky sending my tendie there, and I paid the price, just on the hope that I could end the game one turn sooner :groan:

oh well he had a good run

Decline

Post by Decline »

Yeah these dom5 ported maps be broken.
Last edited by Decline on March 23rd, 2024, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Also, Mekone is going for the Throne on Silver Fangs, so we're not in safe waters yet. @Nemesis can you attack there next turn?

@Kalarion we really need you to put pressure on Mekone's western flank, he will go for the two unoccupied thrones there as well, spreading us too thin to prevent his victory. Now is your chance to become part of history.

He got a Fort on Exibotia already, fuck.
The Rimtursar must return. We tied our fortunes and the hope of a new Ilwinter to Emphallia, and we will serve.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Kalarion wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 04:24
The Rimtursar must return. We tied our fortunes and the hope of a new Ilwinter to Emphallia, and we will serve.
This isn't a disciples games bro. It is literally free land for you and puts you into a better position at taking the two thrones for yourself. If you have signed some fake contracts, now is the time to break them. Remember,

Last edited by Decline on March 23rd, 2024, 04:31, edited 5 times in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Decline wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 04:25
Kalarion wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 04:24
This isn't a disciples games bro. It is literally free land for you and puts you into a better position at taking the two thrones for yourself. If you have signed some fake contracts, now is the time to break them.
Kalarion is an honorable gigante, not just a fair-weather friend, but also a murderous blizzard friend :salute:
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 04:34
Kalarion is an honorable gigante, not just a fair-weather friend, but also a murderous blizzard friend :salute:
Willingly lending a hand to your enemy is the opposite of honor, it is treason.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 03:24
It might have been different if it wasn't -6 dom penalty for me, and +6 bonus for him,
That's very true, while my guy had like 150 hp max (he started with 100 hp as he came from hostile dominion), your Colossus had only 42 hp.

Another problem for your god was that he lacked regen and mine had, I think I saw him do +21 :o
Btw, thanks for reminding me to make the salt item to use against Djins.
and all the mage support he had.
Yeah, I had 7 A1s supporting the chief elder druid, only 1 died.
It was super risky sending my tendie there, and I paid the price, just on the hope that I could end the game one turn sooner :groan:
This is the fun of these games, making strategic decisions under pressure that sometimes pay off and sometimes don't. It's a great game.
oh well he had a good run
400+ kills :salute:
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 03:46

Yeah these dom5 ported maps be broken.
WOAHH How much money did he spend on PD here? How come there's more than 100 barbarians :notsureif:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 13:15
Don't bother putting it on anybody but your tendie. It's not very good unless against a single thugged out guy.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

thanks for not making jokes about bronzebreaking my BBC btw
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 13:57
Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 13:15
Don't bother putting it on anybody but your tendie.
What's a tendie?
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Emphyrio wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:01
thanks for not making jokes about bronzebreaking my BBC btw
My jokes are usually very different from that. :D
I barely recognize zoomer-speak, I'm 43 and not extremely online. Took me a few seconds to parse YOUR joke. :geek:
Anyway, the real joke is me doing all this effort and having zero chance of winning the game :notsureif:
Last edited by Irenaeus on March 23rd, 2024, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Looks like the showdown's going to happen in Silver Fangs
@Nemesis you got this. :Inspector:
Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:34
Anyway, the real joke is me doing all this effort and having zero chance of winning the game :notsureif:
You keep saying this but you're in spot #2 right now. There's also still the joker @Kalarion. When will he enter the battle? And on what side? Will he leave the shadows of his tyrant and make a name for himself? :scratch:
Last edited by Decline on March 23rd, 2024, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Decline wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:55
Looks like the showdown's going to happen in Silver Fangs
@Nemesis you got this. :Inspector:
Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 14:34
You keep saying this but you're in spot #2 right now.
That's good to hear, I don't have a spy network going so I have barely any understanding of the game state. But #2 after losing 48 sacreds and most of my main army? Suspicious :scratch:
Also I have no magic research. :Inspector:

Whatever, let the god wars rage! :bounce:
Last edited by Irenaeus on March 23rd, 2024, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Irenaeus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 18:05
But #2 after losing 48 sacreds and most of my main army? Suspicious :scratch:
Number of troops is here and there, it is more about being in a solid positioning being able to deal with your neighbors' threats while at the same time being able to put pressure on them.

Your Treechad can basically waltz into his lands unopposed while my Djinn get obliterated by even small squads of his hoplites, so I am reduced to guerilla warfare against Mekone.

Just to clarify, in a 'normal' game Mekone troop's strength would be balanced by their hefty price. But since there's basically infinite money going around Emphyrio can just shift click the Hoplite buttton to win. Spending copious of money on Shaytans isn't really that useful in comparison, at least not right now.
Last edited by Decline on March 23rd, 2024, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Congrats, Emphyrio! Well done! What a massive empire :king:
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

This was my first game, and it shows. I picked shit scales, a shit Pretender (although having 26 RP right off the bat was pretty fucking awesome I have to admit), never finished my cap ring, and never made any impact on the game.

Time for a new round!
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I had a blast, by the way. I'm definitely picking Niefel at least once more, I loved the idea of stomping around with a bunch of giants.

@Emphyrio I suggest that you join the IRC at least occasionally. I know you already have an account so at least you won't have to go through that pain. We have a dedicated MP channel now, and everyone can talk shit and bro around. It would also make any super sekrit negotiations etc much easier.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Kalarion wrote: March 24th, 2024, 02:30
This was my first game, and it shows. I picked shit scales, a shit Pretender (although having 26 RP right off the bat was pretty fucking awesome I have to admit), never finished my cap ring, and never made any impact on the game.

Time for a new round!
Test your build's expansion on a singleplayer map before the mp game begins. That's standard procedure. If you can't get at least 12 provinces + 1 fort under construction by spring, you need to try something different (build different units, different bless, or if it's really bad take one of the good monsters awake). 20 provinces and 2 forts under construction is good expansion.

If you like playing Niefelheim they're called Jotunheim in MA.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: March 24th, 2024, 02:25
Decline I don't think it's fair to blame the map settings. The throne settings were slightly too easy for my taste, but I played by the same rules everybody else did. At the time when I started rushing the thrones I was twice as big as anybody else.
I disagree, the setting as it played out massively favorited Mekone. You mentioned it in your text as well:
* Mekone has expensive heavy hitters with magic weapons (who incidentally hard counter Ubar) that heavily favor a quick win early to early-mid game. In "normal" games this is harder to pull off due to the price tag on those Giganti. But on this smallish high income map Mekone was the perfect pick.
* The VC 4x2 Thrones is also heavily in favor towards Mekone's strong early-mid, making a quick win possible. Mekone's strength tapers off considerably once real magic hits the field so if the thrones were bigger and/or just more of them you would have had to deal with e.g. myself actually hitting my research goals.
* Also your starting position was ideal for a quick win, with so many thrones in easy reach. (As an aside I would argue I had the worst starting position with zero accessible thrones within 3 provinces of my cap.)

I think these three factors combined had a huge impact on your quick victory. And you understood to masterfully exploit both what your nation and what the map had to offer you. So, well deserved, GG.

And yeah I also don't get why you pulled back from my cap, there's not a lot Ubar can do vs Mekone's Hoplites that early in the game. I assumed you wanted to conserve as much as possible in order to assist a throne victory (which was correct?)
Last edited by Decline on March 24th, 2024, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Kalarion wrote: March 24th, 2024, 02:35
I had a blast, by the way.
That is good to hear because

:king: :king: :king: :toot: :toot: :toot: RPGHQ3 IS OPEN AND WAITING FOR YOUR PRETENDERS :toot: :toot: :toot: :king: :king: :king:
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

GG, bros.
Decline wrote: March 24th, 2024, 03:29
RPGHQ3 IS OPEN AND WAITING FOR YOUR PRETENDERS[/b]
I'm in but will need about a day or so before I'm ready to play.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Uploaded my pretender for RPGHQ3, I'll be playing Pythium.
Decline

Post by Decline »

We're 6. Let's start or wait for more?

Edit: Actually we're just 5. @Nemesis managed to occupy two slots.
Last edited by Decline on March 25th, 2024, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.