We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Thread for female video game characters that look like Charles II of Spain.

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: February 8th, 2024, 01:31
Oh I fully agree with you. I just didn't want to name any specifics as I couldn't be bothered having a lengthy argument over being called a schizo or whatever. :lol:

It's like the whole "white replacement is a myth" or all the stuff about feminism and all that. And then in the next breath the same people are admitting just that (insert Ash Sarkar vs Ash Sarkar meme).
The uglification of female characters (back on topic) seems to have really ramped up just in the last couple of years though. It's like they've decided they've won the gay & tranny battle, body type 1 & 2, pronouns and all that, now full-on attacking female beauty. Now they're also going back and "remaking" all the old movies, cartoons and games so young kids will only ever see those new versions and be told "it be always like that".
I think it's partly to do with the incompetence (or poor taste) of their stock of workers, and partly intentional. It'd be interesting to know whether there's situations that arise where management tells the artist to make the character look more androgynous or say things like "you need to stop pandering to the male gaze" after seeing the first iterations.

The remaking of beloved movies/ games or the taking over of IPs feels like it has the same intention as re-writing history in dramas of those eras or documentaries. It's to gaslight people into accepting a "new normal," and invoke a feeling of "it was always this way," I hate to repeat the meme, but it really is like 1984-- "Whoever controls the past, controls the future."
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 8th, 2024, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Element wrote: October 13th, 2023, 19:46
The dead space remake will not stop being funny. They made her 40 years older, with no explanation.
Follow up to this is the tlou remake, which seems to have aged Joel's companion by 30 years.

BobT

Post by BobT »

Lol. Someone actually sat there and demanded that change. That's far too drastic to be accidental / incompetence.

They really do hate women, don't they.
Element

Post by Element »

BobT wrote: February 12th, 2024, 17:13
Lol. Someone actually sat there and demanded that change. That's far too drastic to be accidental / incompetence.

They really do hate women, don't they.
Yes, it's too specific, especially since they've already remastered the game before for the PS4, and despite minor adjustments to lighting the characters looked identical. This time around all females seem to have been affected. Ellie, who is supposed to be 13, could now pass for a 17 year old.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Element on February 12th, 2024, 17:38, edited 3 times in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

They really couldn't make her as ugly as they probably wanted to during the PS3 era, because models couldn't be made realistic enough. Now that you can accurate portray things like wrinkles and folds, they have taken full advantage.
Element

Post by Element »

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 12th, 2024, 17:51
They really couldn't make her as ugly as they probably wanted to during the PS3 era, because models couldn't be made realistic enough. Now that you can accurate portray things like wrinkles and folds, they have taken full advantage.
She looked a little more weathered in the concept art, but the 3d wasn't too far off imo.
► Show Spoiler
Think it's the whole panic mode over age differences in relationships that led to this. Joel was ~50 in tlou and there were hints that Tess was his partner, so they decided to throw on a couple of decades.
It's so blatant though it's funny. "glow up"

KnightoftheWind

She looks identical to me in that concept art. My point is her skin had to be smooth, and therefore she had to be made younger and more attractive due to the PS3's limitations. That's one reason why "good graphics" suck, not only because these extraneous details don't add anything to the game, but because they actively take away from it. I'd argue many established games and characters have had their aesthetics ruined in the pursuit of realism, and the devs conceptions of what is realistic.
Last edited by KnightoftheWind on February 12th, 2024, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Well, the ps4 was probably powerful enough to mess with the models if they really wanted to, but Elena in uncharted 4 still looked good. This was 3 years after tlou.
► Show Spoiler
Post Trump is when it all went into freefall.
KnightoftheWind

Pre-Trump and Pre-ESG, perhaps. Or there was some other creative head on the team that ensured her model remained attractive looking, because by this time our favourite israeli jew was already entrenched in Naughty Dog leadership.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Element wrote: February 12th, 2024, 17:29
Yes, it's too specific, especially since they've already remastered the game before for the PS4, and despite minor adjustments to lighting the characters looked identical. This time around all females seem to have been affected. Ellie, who is supposed to be 13, could now pass for a 17 year old.
► Show Spoiler
15 anyway.
Last edited by Rand on February 13th, 2024, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
Element

Post by Element »

Vergil wrote: February 13th, 2024, 00:07
I think they should put microbombs in every copy of TLOU that explode when you try to play them.
Gaming is a good tracker of societal ills. The crime of 2013 was feminism. 2023, it's worshipping troons and vitiligo.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I thought the article exposed how they're afraid of online tranny backlash (like with Stellar Blade) if the females are attractive females, so they were de-femaling them as much as they could stomach.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Can someone please name me a somewhat recent new IP game (not a remake, remaster, etc) that ACTUALLY had a beautiful female character?
They are all just... horrendous.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Silver wrote: February 19th, 2024, 17:58
Can someone please name me a somewhat recent new IP game (not a remake, remaster, etc) that ACTUALLY had a beautiful female character?
This is a good idea for another thread, nothing off the top of my head excluding visual novels/CYOAs.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Western games? I got nothing. You'll have to look eastward
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Your sister in Dark Envoy is a qt.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Nooneatall wrote: February 20th, 2024, 00:46
Western games? I got nothing. You'll have to look eastward
Without bringing much off-topic here either, I've been hating on every square enix female re-design for years. Too androgynous and completely not feminine for my liking.
Maybe sweet baby inc to blame there as well, who knows.
Element

Post by Element »

DS, Elden Ring, Sekiro - perhaps not strikingly beautiful but not ugly either.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 20th, 2024, 00:47

didn't know you're from Alabama.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

wndrbr wrote: February 20th, 2024, 12:17
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 20th, 2024, 00:47

didn't know you're from Alabama.
This explains all too much :scratch:
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

It's not like the model/actress is the prettiest thing in the world, but they still make the effort to uglify her as much as possible

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

You play as Haroona, a Quaestor born with the ability to venture into the Fold, a mysterious dimension that overlaps our own. On her quest for powerful hidden knowledge, she will learn to master her unique connection to the Fold, which allows her to channel its powers into our world. But such power does not go unnoticed, and Haroona quickly becomes the target of the Ascendants, a splinter faction of a secret society known as the LYS, who want to use the Fold to alter the course of human history.
:what: