We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Stargate Timekeepers

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?

Stargate Timekeepers

Post by 1998 »

It looks kinda shit, the gate sounds are horrible, but shockingly its still alive. The first real update in over a year.

Still no release date and the mention of a first season is not a good sign. At this stage, I would be surprised if its even half decent.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

I am looking forward to it and I hope it is good, but the license owners don't know how to pick game studios.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I've had it on my wishlist for a while. I also hope that it's good, but I'm doubtful. MGM mismanaged this franchise incredibly poorly.

I also wish you played as SG-1 or created your own team instead of the diversity hire squad.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

XCOM-like? Odd pick.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

It looks like this is the link for their upcoming announcement event, but I'm not entirely certain how TwitchTV works:
https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv/sche ... b06f2d12ff
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

General Reign wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 07:48
XCOM-like? Odd pick.
No, more Commandos-like.

Post by 1998 »

Acrux wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 09:27
General Reign wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 07:48
XCOM-like? Odd pick.
No, more Commandos-like.
Yap. Its Real Time Tactics, or Stealth Strategy like Mimimi (Desperados 3, Shadow Tactics) likes to call them now. I don't have a problem conceptually with it, I loved Shadow tactics and liked Desperados 3. Everything they have shown so far, and to their credit they have shown quite a bit of gameplay last year, but it all looks so simplistic. It feels like they do not understand what made Shadow Tactics great and only want to cash in on a somewhat successful genre revival.

Sooo I guess @rusty_shackleford you can move this into the Command Center. Didn't realize we had a forum for tactic games here as well.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

You can sign up for the beta on their website:

https://www.slitherine.com/beta
2factorauth

Post by 2factorauth »

xcom? commandos? r u people severerly fucking retarded and from a different planet?
it looks like a tower defense skinjob
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

I received a beta key. Download was under 2 GB.

"We ask you kindly not to discuss the game in any public forum, including the public areas of the Slitherine forum and the Discord."
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

J1M wrote: August 24th, 2023, 00:46

"We ask you kindly not to discuss the game in any public forum, including the public areas of the Slitherine forum and the Discord."
Tell us more. I am genuinely curious, because I loved the Stargate series, and I also love these type of games. I'm surprised to hear that this is even still alive.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Luckmann wrote: August 26th, 2023, 13:05

Tell us more. I am genuinely curious, because I loved the Stargate series, and I also love these type of games. I'm surprised to hear that this is even still alive.
Legally, I can't discuss the game until the information restrictions are lifted. I posted here to let others know that they could get into the beta. The only thing I wrote in my application was, "I like Stargate. I submit bug reports."
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

GhostCow wrote: August 26th, 2023, 14:38
Imagine actually following an NDA
Rolled lawful at character creation.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

J1M wrote: August 26th, 2023, 14:31
Luckmann wrote: August 26th, 2023, 13:05

Legally, I can't discuss the game until the information restrictions are lifted. I posted here to let others know that they could get into the beta. The only thing I wrote in my application was, "I like Stargate. I submit bug reports."
Cuck.

Post by 1998 »

Not much to report here, it will suck. Also I will d1p it
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

public forum
Technically, the off-topic forum is not public. ;)
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

It looks like this got a release date of December 12th. Also, the demo is now public.

@J1M - Now that the demo is out, I'm guessing you can give us your impressions. I haven't tried it, but it looks like they are getting a lot of negative feedback.
Last edited by Acrux on October 28th, 2023, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Acrux wrote: October 26th, 2023, 21:22
It looks like this got a release date of December 12th. Also, the demo is now public.

@J1M - Now that the demo is out, I'm guessing you can give us your impressions. I haven't tried it, but it looks like they are getting a lot of negative feedback.
The gameplay was barely functional when I tried it. Would recommend people try the demo before they buy because I am surprised this came out this year.

I didn't get into it extensively because at that time the feel of basic interactions was bad. Don't remember if it was input delay or something else.

Looks like they have some sort of promo where you can get an extra steam key if you buy it from them directly with a store code.

Post by 1998 »

Guess its delayed to 23rd Jan.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Looks like a Desperados-style game. Didn't expect that.
Does this genre even have a name?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 26th, 2023, 06:38
Commandos-like is the closest I've seen to an overarching name for these types of games.

Post by 1998 »

gerey wrote: December 26th, 2023, 10:59
rusty_shackleford wrote: December 26th, 2023, 06:38
Commandos-like is the closest I've seen to an overarching name for these types of games.
Real-Time Tactics...at least until Mimimi tried to go more casual and called it Stealth Strategy with their Pirate flop.
Last edited by 1998 on December 27th, 2023, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Real-time tactics just makes me think someone mislabeled RTS

Technically correct, I guess. Closest cousin genre is probably IE-style RTwP RPGs.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 27th, 2023, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

1998 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 16:36
Real-Time Tactics
That's too broad of a definition, since it covers a wide variety of games like Myth, Ground Control, Close Combat, Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike etc.

If you were looking for games like Commandos and mentioned you wanted to play RTTs, chances are you'd get recommended one or more of the games above. I don't think most people associate Commandos and games like it with RTTs, hence why I prefer calling them Commandos-likes, even though it's quite a mouthful.
Last edited by gerey on December 27th, 2023, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

gerey wrote: December 27th, 2023, 17:03
1998 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 16:36
Real-Time Tactics
That's too broad of a definition, since it covers a wide variety of games like Myth, Ground Control, Close Combat, Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike etc.

If you were looking for games like Commandos and mentioned you wanted to play RTTs, chances are you'd get recommended one or more of the games above. I don't think most people associate Commandos and games like it with RTTs, hence why I prefer calling them Commandos-likes, even though it's quite a mouthful.
What are you talking about? RTT is one of the most defined genres out there. Commandos, Desperados, Robin Hood, Mimimi
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Until mimimi's recent games I've never talked to another american who played any of these games. I've never heard the genre "Real-time tactics" before, either. I think this may have been strictly a continental euro thing?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 27th, 2023, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Stealth real time tactics.

Post by 1998 »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 27th, 2023, 17:11
Until mimimi's recent games I've never talked to another american who played any of these games. I've never heard the genre "Real-time tactics" before, either. I think this may have been strictly a continental euro thing?
Probably, to me it just makes sense. These games were massive in Germany, maybe that's it. But I really do think it RTT is one of the most accurate descriptions of game genres.