We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Your MMO memories

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

DAoC had a lot of problems. No one wanted to play Hibs on most servers and the game had some really retarded ideas. Like giving you free points in certain skills if you don't spend points on them, which encourages degenerate gameplay where you try to play without leveling up important skills so you get the free points. EQ and Shadowbane were both far better games.
H-H-Holmes

Post by H-H-Holmes »

To be fair I have completely forgotten a lot of little details like that which would probably detract from my enjoyment if I were playing today.
On the European servers, there was a notable preference for Albion and Midgard but not so much that it completely eliminated Hibernia from competition. My first character was an Briton Armsman (terrible choice in hindsight, one of the most boring classes in the game, still loved every minute of it though). Then after a few months moved to Mid and made a Troll Thane. Thanes were gimped though so I finally settled for a Norse Skald and this was the character I mastered and had the most fun with. Listening to drum and bass with full speed buff running solo around the Albion frontiers ganking stragglers, was amazing, to put it mildly.
There is probably a fair amount of rose-tinted bias to my opinion, especially as it was the first MMORPG I played (aside from PSO which wasn't really an MMORPG in the purest sense) and you know what they say about first loves, but I still think it was something truly special and deserves more recognition. Most people who played it for any length of time seem to share similar sentiments to me, so I am a little surprised you don't also. I can't compare it to EQ, but I have heard great things. Seems to be the mother of MMOs in a sense, feel like I missed out on that. I remember when Shadowbane was released and I was very tempted by it, but didn't end up getting involved for whatever reason.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: November 5th, 2023, 00:21
- Perfect World International
I remember briefly checking that out when the underwater expansion and classes released. The underwater city was aesthetically cool, and I remember that the human capital and the neutral city had atmospheric music.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Anarchy Online was a good MMORPG.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Gregz wrote: November 5th, 2023, 05:45
Huge world, f2p, open pvp, deep but easy to understand mechanics. I loved AO waaay back when, playing with 3 friends, trying to score a Desolator for ourselves, ganking expansion noobs, trolling ppl in whatever that big city next to spawn was. Good times.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: November 5th, 2023, 05:29
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: November 5th, 2023, 00:21
- Perfect World International
I remember briefly checking that out when the underwater expansion and classes released. The underwater city was aesthetically cool, and I remember that the human capital and the neutral city had atmospheric music.
I started playing before the Tideborn came out
I vividly remember being excited as a kid/teen for even crumbs of leaks and teasers
Tideborn Psychic became my main since the release
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gregz wrote: November 5th, 2023, 05:45
Popularized instancing, horrible class balance, buggy as fuck, hundreds of levels. I hated it. I think I lasted a week or two into launch.